PDA

View Full Version : M&m Srd

brains?
2007-05-13, 11:59 AM
Is there somethign similair to the SRD for M&M?

silentknight
2007-05-13, 12:03 PM
Like the candy?

Hurlbut
2007-05-13, 12:04 PM
What is M&M? One thing come to mind is candies.

brains?
2007-05-13, 12:04 PM
Mutants and Masterminds

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-13, 12:11 PM
Mutants and Masterminds

Don't worry, I understood you.

I can't answer your question though.

Green Bean
2007-05-13, 12:23 PM

I doubt it. The SRD is permissable as the d20 system is an open license. Mutants and Masterminds is based on the d20 rules, but is a separate product that is not open licensed. Any attempt to post the rules online would probably be a copyright violation.

Aerlock
2007-05-14, 02:31 PM
The closest thing I can think of would be here (http://www.atomicthinktank.com).

Khantalas
2007-05-14, 03:19 PM
Actually, M&M is under OGL. So, there should be a SRD for it, too. But I can't think of any.

Zherog
2007-05-14, 03:23 PM
Just because something is OGL doesn't mean there has to be an SRD for it...

YPU
2007-05-14, 03:25 PM
Just because something is OGL doesn't mean there has to be an SRD for it...

But you could make one without violating any laws? Like what crystal keep does. And the linked srd thingy?

goat
2007-05-14, 03:33 PM
I thought it was based on the OGL, not OGL itself?

InaVegt
2007-05-14, 03:37 PM
I thought it was based on the OGL, not OGL itself?

It is based on d20, and both wizard's d20 products and M&M are covered under the Open Gaming License (which I don't think is all that open)

Zherog
2007-05-14, 06:58 PM
Nothing from WotC is OGL except what's in the SRD and Unearthed Arcana.

Looking in my M&M book (first edition), I see it doesn't have the d20 logo, interestingly enough. Opening it up, however, there is a declaration of what's Open Game Content and what's IP:

The following is designated as Product Identity, in accordance with Section 1(e) of the Open Game License, Version 1: Freedom City, all character and place names, all art and character designs, Power Points, Hero Points, Villain Points.

The following text is designated as Open Game Content: the introduction; Chapter One, except the paragraph on Power Points under the Power Level Bonuses header, the Power Points in Table 1-1, and all material under the Allocating Power Points header (including table 1-2); Chapter Two; Chapter Three; Chapter Four; Chapter Five, from the How Super-Powers Work header forward, except the Power Cost entry of each power and in table 5-1; Chapter Six from the Capabilities header forward; Chapter Seven; Chapter Eight; Chapter Nine, from the Assigning Difficulties header to the Creating the Universe header, except the section on Awarding Power Points; all game stats in Chapter Ten and the Appendix excepting tables and sections of tables previously designated as closed content.

So, somebody could take all that material designated as open content and create a website with it (assuming they did their OGL license correctly). However, there would still be several key elements of the game missing, making it just about impossible to run a game of M&M without buying the book.

henebry
2007-05-14, 10:43 PM
Ssomebody could take all that material designated as open content and create a website with it (assuming they did their OGL license correctly). However, there would still be several key elements of the game missing, making it just about impossible to run a game of M&M without buying the book.

Key elements are missing from the SRD, too: exp needed to gain levels and character levels at which feats and ability scores increase.

Beleriphon
2007-06-03, 01:17 AM
Key elements are missing from the SRD, too: exp needed to gain levels and character levels at which feats and ability scores increase.

Yep, but the SRD is really more a design objective than player objective. Its meant to let other game designers use D&D rules to produce game products, a side benefit is that players get a fairly substantial portion of the rules for play but they have to get the books if they actually feel like creating characters or advancing them.

As for an M&M SRD there isn't one. Folks have asked on the M&M boards (www.atomicthinktank.com) but the general answer from Green Ronin is that they have no intention of producing one. The main reason being that its a small company, and if you want to produce M&M products you can seriously just call them up and ask.