PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warlocks and Sentinels of Bharri

Jeargroth
2015-09-12, 07:57 PM
Alrighty, more aid requested from my fellow gamers. I am looking at the Warlock Hand book and Sentinel of Bharri is listed as a decent Prestige Class. Now I see it advances spell casting which is fine, but as far as I can see it doesn't affect Eldritch Blast damage. You would be stuck with the 3-4d6 damage. Are people looking at just foregoing the blast and going utility for the invitations or am I reading it wrong and the levels stack for Eldritch blast as well?

Thanks again... This is all fodder for villains (heroes) to do a second part of a plane hopping Campaign.

Jeargroth

Taveena
2015-09-12, 08:07 PM
Page 18, Complete Arcane, Warlocks and Prestige Classes.
"Warlocks benefit in a specific way from prestige classes that
have “+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class” or “+1 level of existing spellcasting class” as a level advancement benefi t. A warlock taking levels in such a prestige class does not gain any of his class abilities, but he does gain an increased caster level when using his invocations and increased damage with his eldritch blast. Levels of prestige classes that provide +1 level of spellcasting effectively stack with the warlock’s level to determine his eldritch blast damage (treat his combined caster level as his warlock class level when looking at Table 1–1: The Warlock to determine eldritch blast damage) and his eldritch blast caster level (half his total caster level from his warlock levels and his levels in the prestige class that grant him an increased spellcasting level). A warlock also gains new invocations known at these prestige class levels as though he had gained a level in the warlock class."

Normally spell-like abilities are not improved by Prestige Classes. Warlocks are a notable exception. Furthermore, Eldritch Blast is an invocation (as per the CArc Errata), and as per Rich Baker's Warlock FAQ (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/975156), it is his belief - as the designer of the class - that Eldritch Blast's damage should be based on caster level, and thus be affected by Practiced Spellcaster, in spite of that not being RAW.

Jeargroth
2015-09-12, 08:11 PM
Ok so it works... thank-you very much... i have a ton of books and the internet to pour through, and still miss the little things :smallredface: