PDA

View Full Version : 26 New Ioun Stones

Bupp
2015-09-12, 08:55 PM
Here are some Ioun stone variants from Dragon Magazine #174 that I was waiting on the DMG to come out to convert. Matthew P. Hargenrager wrote the original article about Ioun stones, and where they come from, as well as some new ones. I converted most of them. He had a few that provided saving throw bonuses against certain types of damage, which I changed to resistance, and added some to cover each damage type.

Comprehend Languages (Uncommon). This light blue prism allows you to understand all spoken languages.

Darkvision (Uncommon). This deep purple prism grants you darkvision to a 60’ range, or doubles existing darkvision.

Etherealness (Legendary). You can use this bright silver cylinder to go ethereal for a one-hour duration. You can only go ethereal once per long rest.

Free Action (Very Rare). While this cerulean blue rhomboid floats around your head, difficult terrain doesn’t cost you extra movement. In addition, magic can neither reduce your speed nor cause you to be paralyzed or restrained.

Gaseous Form (Rare). Using this brown rhomboid the user and 200 lbs. of possessions can assume gaseous form for a one-hour duration, once per long rest.

Levitation (Rare). You can use this lavender ellipsoid to levitate at will.

Light (Common). You can command this yellow sphere to shed light, as the cantrip, on command.

Life Protection (Very Rare). While this soft black rectangle rotates you are protected from life draining attacks. Your hit point maximum cannot be reduced by spells or attacks that lower your hit point maximum.

Magic Resistance (Very Rare). With this clear sphere rotating around your head, you have Advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Polymorph (Very Rare). Using this rainbow spindle, you can polymorph for up to one hour. You can only polymorph once per long rest.

Vitality (Uncommon). You can command this brass lozenge to add 2d4 + 2 temporary hit points that last for an hour. You can use this ability once per long rest.

Water Breathing (Rare). This blue green spindle gives you water breathing at will.

Water Walking (Rare). You can use this pale yellow lozenge to water walk at will.

Acid Resistance (Uncommon). A sizzling orange hexagonal prism that provides resistance to acid damage.

Bludgeoning Resistance (Uncommon). A purplish sphere that provides resistance to bludgeoning damage.

Cold Resistance (Uncommon). A flickering white snowflake that provides resistance to cold damage.

Fire Resistance (Uncommon). A pulsing red star that provides resistance to fire damage.

Force Resistance (Uncommon). A crackling blue triangular prism that provides resistance to force damage.

Lightning Resistance (Uncommon). A silver rod that provides resistance to lightning damage.

Necrotic Resistance (Uncommon). A deep black sphere that provides resistance to necrotic damage.

Piercing Resistance (Uncommon). A dusty rose prism that provides resistance to piercing damage.

Poison Resistance (Uncommon). A green sphere that provides resistance to poison damage.

Psychic Resistance (Uncommon). A clear crystal that provides resistance to psychic damage.

Radiant Resistance (Uncommon). A shining white star that provides resistance to radiant damage.

Slashing Resistance (Uncommon). A magenta prism that provides resistance to slashing damage.

Thunder Resistance (Uncommon). A onyx rhomboid that provides resistance to thunder damage.

http://5egrognard.blogspot.com/2015/09/26-new-ioun-stones.html

BootStrapTommy
2015-09-12, 09:43 PM
This is wonderful.

Nifft
2015-09-12, 10:15 PM
Thunder Resistance (Uncommon). A onyx rhomboid that provides resistance to fire damage.

Truly the element of surprise.

PoeticDwarf
2015-09-13, 12:09 AM
Ring of vitality is very rare, but casting false life at second level or just armor of agaathys isn't weaker.

Ethereal thing gives you almost a level seven spell and is just rare????

Gnomes2169
2015-09-13, 12:51 AM
Only things I found off rarity wise:
Etherealness (a level 7 or 8 spell) should be Legendary, not rare.

Magic resistance shoyld be Very rare, not rare.

Vitality should euther be rare or uncommon at most. 6 temp HP 1/long rest that requires attunement is sort of very weak...

JellyPooga
2015-09-13, 04:59 AM
Etherealness (Rare). You can use this bright silver cylinder to go ethereal for a one-hour duration. You can only go ethereal once per long rest.

Rare is far too common. Very Rare or Legendary would be more appropriate.

Free Action (Rare). While this cerulean blue rhomboid floats around your head, difficult terrain doesn’t cost you extra movement. In addition, magic can neither reduce your speed nor cause you to be paralyzed or restrained.

Same again. It's Permanent use of a 4th level spell, no activation or limitation. A Carpet of Flying is a similar effect, except it duplicates a 3rd level spell and doesn't require attunement and that's Very Rare. This one should be at least V.Rare.

Vitality (Very Rare). You can command this brass lozenge to add 2d4 + 2 temporary hit points that last for an hour. You can use this ability once per long rest.

Why is this Very Rare? The effect is almost negligible. If it was usable 1/hour, or the TempHP stacked with other sources, or it gave a much larger amount of TempHP, then yeah. This should probably be Uncommon (or perhaps even Common).

Aside from a few typos and the above comments, great stuff! You might want to clarify the wording on some of them. For example; for the Water Walking one, have it read "You can use this pale yellow lozenge to water walk at will, as per the Water Walk spell", or "You can use this pale yellow lozenge to cast Water Walk on yourself at will, without using material components", or similar.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-13, 05:33 AM
Only things I found off rarity wise:
Etherealness (a level 7 or 8 spell) should be Legendary, not rare.

Magic resistance shoyld be Very rare, not rare.

Vitality should euther be rare or uncommon at most. 6 temp HP 1/long rest that requires attunement is sort of very weak...

I agree completely with this. Otherwise, nice work!

Bupp
2015-09-13, 08:04 AM
Truly the element of surprise.

Lol, bad editing on my part...I actually see a couple more that do this. The fire one was the first I did out of the resistances, and just copy and pasted it s bunch of times and replaced shapes and damage types. Definitely missed some!

As for all of the rarities, looking back I agree. Honestly I pretty much guess on rarities since there is no concrete system set down for them, and sometimes I guess wrong. I tend to do single items at a time and give them more thought. Doing a big batch some inconsistencies slipped in!

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Bupp
2015-09-13, 08:07 AM
I did some edits to reflect the feedback.