PDA

View Full Version : Are changelings uber?

Mr. C
2015-09-12, 11:19 PM
Shapechanger. As an action, you can [B]polymorph into any humanoid[B] of your size that you have seen, or
back into your true form. However, your equipment does not change with you. If you die, you revert to
your natural appearance.

This important phrase is missing: Its statistics, other than its size, are the
same in each form.

Ciraq
2015-09-12, 11:40 PM
The most important factor to keep in mind when reading any Unearthed Arcana articles is that they are not official releases. They are essentially homebrew rules created by WotC as suggestions to tie in more options from 4e, or for playtesting purposes (such as the recent Psionics playtest).

TheOOB
2015-09-13, 02:08 AM
I would imagine that the changeling keeps their own abilities.

Inevitability
2015-09-13, 02:46 AM
This important phrase is missing: Its statistics, other than its size, are the
same in each form.

Er... They specifically mention their size has to remain the same. This sentence would do nothing but confuse people unnecessarily.

Regitnui
2015-09-13, 03:28 AM
Changelings are one of my favorite races, so perhaps I can help. I think in 3.5 that the equivalent racial trait was something like 'alter self at will'; they looked like any other race they wanted to, but could switch appearance freely and didn't have any of the special features or traits the other races had. For example, the changeling could squash and squatten into a dwarf, but would be just as susceptible to poison as a human. They couldn't change size, though, so halflings and gnomes were out, and I'd also house rule that things like the Yuan-Ti and Thri-keen that had vastly different anatomy would also be ruled too difficult. Specific individuals were more difficult, like they could pretend to be the elf ranger Mialee and flirt with the dwarf fighter Tordek just for lulz, but the mannerisms and precise details would be harder to keep in mind than just being an elf lookalike.

Of course, my memory might be fuzzy. Correct me if any of this is wrong or unhelpful

Mr. C
2015-09-13, 04:41 AM
Er... They specifically mention their size has to remain the same. This sentence would do nothing but confuse people unnecessarily.

It's directly from the MM for doppelgangers, I believe.

JackPhoenix
2015-09-13, 05:06 AM
Changelings are one of my favorite races, so perhaps I can help. I think in 3.5 that the equivalent racial trait was something like 'alter self at will'; they looked like any other race they wanted to, but could switch appearance freely and didn't have any of the special features or traits the other races had. For example, the changeling could squash and squatten into a dwarf, but would be just as susceptible to poison as a human. They couldn't change size, though, so halflings and gnomes were out, and I'd also house rule that things like the Yuan-Ti and Thri-keen that had vastly different anatomy would also be ruled too difficult. Specific individuals were more difficult, like they could pretend to be the elf ranger Mialee and flirt with the dwarf fighter Tordek just for lulz, but the mannerisms and precise details would be harder to keep in mind than just being an elf lookalike.

Of course, my memory might be fuzzy. Correct me if any of this is wrong or unhelpful

Not even Alter Self, it worked like Disguise Self, except that the change was physical, not just illusionary. There were feats for looking like a different individual to divination magic while changed, counting as that race for the purpose of magic effects, faster change, but nothing ever changed your stats.

Regitnui
2015-09-13, 11:36 AM
Not even Alter Self, it worked like Disguise Self, except that the change was physical, not just illusionary. There were feats for looking like a different individual to divination magic while changed, counting as that race for the purpose of magic effects, faster change, but nothing ever changed your stats.

Oh, yes, thanks. I thought it was one of the two. :smallamused: I just couldn't remember. Does it make changelings OP? I don't think so. It's just a flavour thing, without Actor.

DivisibleByZero
2015-09-13, 11:45 AM
Oh, yes, thanks. I thought it was one of the two. :smallamused: I just couldn't remember. Does it make changelings OP? I don't think so. It's just a flavour thing, without Actor.

No. But what *would* be OP is the interpretation via the usage of the word polymorph that their stats do indeed change. Because that's what polymorph does.
That's what I was reading the question regarding "uber" as being founded upon.

In answer, no, your stats do not change. It basically works exactly like 3.5 did, as stated above, similar to disguise self but with a physical alteration rather than an illusory one.
It didn't get into the gory details because they worded it poorly for the beta test version that they let use see. Remember, also as stated above, that this is not an official release. You can be certain then when they do finally get around to releasing it in an official capacity, it will work as a physical disguise self.
So, no, they aren't "uber" because of it. They're extremely fun and flavorful, but not uber.

Inevitability
2015-09-14, 03:07 PM
It's directly from the MM for doppelgangers, I believe.

That's because Doppelgangers can change size, allowing them to shift into things like halflings and gnomes.