PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Clarification

Pex
2015-09-13, 01:12 AM
Aura of Protection says you and friendly creatures within 10 ft of you add your Charisma modifier as a bonus to saving throws. What happens when two paladins are within 10 ft of each other? Do they also get to add the other paladin's Charisma modifier? If an ally is within 10 ft of both, does he get both Charisma modifiers added?

Also, how does Improved Divine Smite work? Say I wield a longsword, have 18 strength, and dueling style. I hit my opponent normally. I deal 1d8 + 6 + 1d8 radiant damage. Now I smite with a 1st level spell against a non-fiend or undead. How is the word "also" to be interpreted in the ability description? Is the damage 1d8 + 6 + 1d8 (Improved Divine Smite) + 2d8 (Smite) with the word "also" to mean the ability works normally to add 1d8 damage despite both extra damage sources doing radiant damage, or is the damage 1d8 + 6 + 1d8 (Improved Divine Smite for hitting a creature with a melee weapon) + 2d8 (Smite) + 1d8 (Improved Divine Smite with the word "also" to mean the act of smiting gets its own 1d8 more radiant damage in addition to the act of hitting a creature with a melee weapon gets 1d8 more radiant damage)? If it is this latter interpretation, I'll consider my angst against smites using spell slots solaced. :smallwink:

Starsinger
2015-09-13, 01:18 AM
Aura of Protection says you and friendly creatures within 10 ft of you add your Charisma modifier as a bonus to saving throws. What happens when two paladins are within 10 ft of each other? Do they also get to add the other paladin's Charisma modifier? If an ally is within 10 ft of both, does he get both Charisma modifiers added?

That is more of a DM call, I personally would say only the higher charisma modifier applies, or give higher +1 if you're in both auras, but that's me.

As for Improved Divine Smite, you get the 1d8 radiant damage on any attack, whether you smite or not. So adding 2d8 radiant damage through a 1st level slot means you add 3d8 radiant damage total to the attack.

MaxWilson
2015-09-13, 01:44 AM
Also, how does Improved Divine Smite work? Say I wield a longsword, have 18 strength, and dueling style. I hit my opponent normally. I deal 1d8 + 6 + 1d8 radiant damage. Now I smite with a 1st level spell against a non-fiend or undead. How is the word "also" to be interpreted in the ability description? Is the damage 1d8 + 6 + 1d8 (Improved Divine Smite) + 2d8 (Smite) with the word "also" to mean the ability works normally to add 1d8 damage despite both extra damage sources doing radiant damage, or is the damage 1d8 + 6 + 1d8 (Improved Divine Smite for hitting a creature with a melee weapon) + 2d8 (Smite) + 1d8 (Improved Divine Smite with the word "also" to mean the act of smiting gets its own 1d8 more radiant damage in addition to the act of hitting a creature with a melee weapon gets 1d8 more radiant damage)? If it is this latter interpretation, I'll consider my angst against smites using spell slots solaced. :smallwink:

Your instincts are correct: smiting is a poor use of spell slots. Improved Divine Smite is poorly written, but if you read it carefully it becomes apparent that what it is trying to say is that "the bonus 1d8 is in addition to any smite damage from spell slots." IOW, your first interpretation is correct, Improved Divine Smite does not affect smite damage.

JellyPooga
2015-09-13, 05:09 AM

I've seen nothing in the rules saying it wouldn't stack and nothing that says Paladins can't benefit from another Paladins Aura. Two Paladins = Two AoPs = (Cha mod 1)+(Cha mod 2) to all Saves if you're within 10ft of both (including the Paladins themselves).

Also, how does Improved Divine Smite work?

It gives you +1d8 radiant damage to any melee attacks you make, whether or not you use a spell slot to "regular" Smite.

JackPhoenix
2015-09-13, 06:12 AM
Aura of Protection isn't a spell, thus it can stack, so said Jeremy Crawford: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/07/20/paladins-and-aura-of-protection/

Pex
2015-09-13, 03:05 PM
Two paladin auras stack. Sweet. It will make a difference in the Adventure League game I'm in since there's another paladin player who regularly shows up. I wonder if they'll change this in official rules interpretations if this causes an issue with other groups.

It did sound too good to be true for the extra extra 1d8 damage on improved smiting, but two auras stacking also sounded too good to be true. (shrug)

coredump
2015-09-13, 03:19 PM
The auras should stack, and JC concurs. But it seems to be a fairly common DM interpretation that they don't stack. So you may want to check with your AL DM.
Similarly, while I agree that IDS does not 'double dip', the wording does leave some ambiguity. Tweets have been sent, so maybe JC will chime in.