PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Theoretical Optimization Help] Is there a way to Pierce fire immunity?

golentan
2015-09-13, 02:55 AM
It must be able to be applied to a supernatural ability, not a spell or SLA, and I would prefer it not be in the form of a class feature but I will take any feat, item, or buff spell that could be acquired through any means, even including an unwanted level dip or two.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

Tuvarkz
2015-09-13, 05:50 AM
If the supernatural ability comes in a form of ranged attack and you aren't sticking to Paizo-only, then PoW can help:
Solar Wind Style [Combat, Style]
Your arrows glow as bright as the sun
Prerequisites: 1 or more Solar Wind Stances, Perception 3 ranks
Benefit: Whenever you make a ranged attack, you deal an extra +1 fire damage per 5 character levels. In addition your arrows (or other ammunition) emit light as a torch; this light can be suppressed or resumed as a free action.

Solar Wind Flash [Combat]
The light of your arrows is blinding
Prerequisites: Solar Wind Style, Perception 7 ranks
Benefit: Whenever you succeed on a ranged attack against a creature, you may expend one of your readied boosts as a swift action. If you do, the creature must succeed on a Fort save (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your initiation modifier) or be blinded for 2 rounds.

Solar Wind Inferno [Combat]
The burning power of your arrows sears the flesh of even those immune to fire
Prerequisites: Solar Wind Style, Solar Wind Flash, Perception 11 ranks
Benefit: Your ranged attacks which deal fire damage ignore an amount of fire resistance equal to your character level. You treat Fire Immunity as Fire Resistance 30 for purposes of this effect.
Special: If you possess the Variable Winds feat, your attacks ignore energy resistance of the same type as your active energy type and treat the energy immunity of your active type as having energy resistance 30 of your active energy type for purposes of this effect

Andreaz
2015-09-13, 06:36 AM
Similarly, there is a maneuver chain in elemental flux that drops energy resistance of any one kind at a time. Ultimately it drops immunity completely and boosts your damage on top.

golentan
2015-09-14, 12:13 AM
Unfortunately, it's not ranged, and I would like to stick to Paizo if possible, or maybe if need be reverse compatibility some 3.5 WotC material.

The basic build is a kineticist grappler.

The goal is to build a Fire/Aether kineticist with expanded defense, insane constitution followed by strength. Assuming I can keep them in kineticist to 20th level, and manage the constitution to do this, the plan is that they take 7 burn to increase their searing flesh damage to 40, making up for the reduced HP with Force Ward for a constantly regenerating health pool, so long as I can take 2 points of burn to use Kinetic Form to become Huge, which should be eminently doable (20 con to start, + 5 from leveling up, +6 from magic item, + 4 size bonus from Elemental Overflow, for a total of 35 constitution gives us up to 15 points of burn to play with even not counting Internal Buffer) and preferably throw on some Kinetic Fist and maybe some other stuff....

Being huge, + improved Grapple and Chokehold and all that good stuff, plus rocking along on the Elemental Overflow bonus we should be enjoying at this point, and depending on whether or not Elemental Overflow applies to Kinetic Fist and Kinetic Fist applies to our grapple fighting (which I believe it should on both counts), we should hopefully be rocking 15 (BAB) + 6 (Elemental Overflow) + 4 (Improved Grapple and greater grapple) + 2 (Size bonus to CMB) + 2 (Untyped bonus, Gauntlets of Skilled Maneuver) + 2 (Untyped bonus, Brawling Armor) + 4 (Competence Bonus, Tentacle Cloak) + 5 (enhancement bonus, amulet of Mighty Fists), + 11 (32 strength: 20 base, +6 from Belt of Ogre Strength, + 6 Size Bonus from elemental overflow), for a total check of up to +51 to establish or maintain a grapple.

Since while grappling, foes in a grapple with us take double searing flesh damage at the end of their turn whether we're winning or not and independent of the damage we should be doing just by virtue of the damage, and using the Chokehold feat keep a hand free for further foes and keep our victim from hitting us with spells, or the like, bodyshield to interpose the victim with incoming attacks, and so forth, damage should be 4d6 (Huge fist + 3d6 kinetic fist) + 11 (strength) + 10 (Aether Infusion Composite), +18 (Elemental Overflow) for a total of 4d6+39 damage, catching the foe on fire for 1d6/round in a way that actually reduces their fire resistance over time by an equal amount (burning infusion + searing flame), and each round they fail to break free they will take an additional 80 points of fire damage. If I throw on enough effects to increase my burn value (assuming I have burn left I can take), that damage goes up to 160 for the following round. Plus, as a fire kineticist, the build can actually mess with wizards by dispelling their effects through the cleansing power of fire (unraveling infusion). Burn the Witch! Target their contingency spells first! But of course, my ability to melt through fire resistance doesn't help with fire Immunity, so unless I can get around that...

I know it's not super optimal compared to most things that show under TO, but the build jumped into my mind last night and its obvious drawback was obvious that I wanted to ask before I fell asleep and forgot forever.

the clumsy bard
2015-09-14, 08:07 AM
easy.

utility wild talent for fire kineticists.

Searing Flame

Element(s) fire; Type utility (Su); Level 2; Burn —

Prerequisite(s) burning infusion

Over time, your burning infusion sears away your foe's fire resistance. When you roll burn damage from burning infusion against a foe, decrease the foe's fire resistance by an amount equal to the unmodified burn damage; don't apply fire resistance to this roll for the purpose of determining the reduction. This decrease lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your kineticist level.

These decreases stack, to a minimum resistance of 0.

golentan
2015-09-14, 10:09 AM
Applies to resistance, not outright immunity. As said, it's on the build, I'm looking for a way to breach outright fire immunity.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 11:41 AM
Not to be that guy but...other energy types? Why're they off the table, exactly? Best way to pierce an immunity is to attack the guy with something that'll hurt.

I've played a lot of Pokemon, 's why I ask this question.

Kiton2
2015-09-14, 01:04 PM
Most likely because he's specialized. It's also a conceptual thing, but unfortunately, by just the Paizo materials, energy blasting is something that gets shut down and shut down *hard* by mid levels, when suddenly half of what you run into ignores your damage, nothing you can do about it.

Chances are he'd be doing half his damage and lower DCs or the like, if using another element, in addition to it probably screwing with his character's fluff.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 01:16 PM
Most likely because he's specialized. It's also a conceptual thing, but unfortunately, by just the Paizo materials, energy blasting is something that gets shut down and shut down *hard* by mid levels, when suddenly half of what you run into ignores your damage, nothing you can do about it.

Chances are he'd be doing half his damage and lower DCs or the like, if using another element, in addition to it probably screwing with his character's fluff.

Ah. Hmm...there's a 3.5 something involving converting fire damage into a crazier kind of...searing damage, or something. Forget the name, though.

Tuvarkz
2015-09-14, 01:34 PM
Something tells me an Aurora Soul Mystic could do this and be way better, without any of the issues the Kineticist has.

golentan
2015-09-14, 02:41 PM

Aye. Continuing to do damage at range isn't too hard for the build, or even by grappling, since Telekinetic Blast will cover some of the slack, but having built up around "I'm better at grappling than pretty much anything short of the tarrasque or similar monstrous high level physical colossal foes, and can deal upwards of 200 damage a round when doing it" is the point of the build... Without being able to punch through immunity, it is reduced to a more typical telekinetic blast of 10d6+44 B, P, or S

Which is not BAD for an all day blaster build, but...

Kiton2
2015-09-14, 05:09 PM
Well, no. It IS bad. People say "blasting" so as to separate it from ranged attacks, but let's be honest here: Single target "all day" is no damn different from Archery in scope and role. That's what it has to be measured against.

If a level 20 is only doing 200 a round when his primary build, specialty and existence revolve around doing single target damage every round, they're subpar. Meanwhile, the backup 10d6+44 is flat out bad output.

golentan
2015-09-14, 06:25 PM
Well, no. It IS bad. People say "blasting" so as to separate it from ranged attacks, but let's be honest here: Single target "all day" is no damn different from Archery in scope and role. That's what it has to be measured against.

If a level 20 is only doing 200 a round when his primary build, specialty and existence revolve around doing single target damage every round, they're subpar. Meanwhile, the backup 10d6+44 is flat out bad output.

It's not single target. It's up to 20 targets, no two of which can be more than 30 feet apart, per action, potentially as a swift action, with a fly speed.

My frustration with asking for build help is always that people tell me such and such sucks compared to this or that, or don't understand what it is I'm doing. As back when when I built a ranged combatant build with several dozen attacks per round, I don't care if hand crossbows are underpowered, that is not the point of the build. The point is to take X and make it ridiculous more than it was.

So, to be clear. My goal in this was to take a class feature (searing flesh) every guide and person I talked to agreed was woefully underwhelming (which it is in most cases) and optimize it to be a useful, even essential part of a build, ideally a build which would be rules legal in Society if Society were ever to allow 20th level characters, a build which would allow them to take even large foes or mages out of the fight if it successfully targets them through targeted dispel with Unraveling Infusion and grappling, while retaining the blaster potential of the Kineticist.