PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dandy Pirate Bard

ThinkMinty
2015-09-13, 05:40 AM
I'm curious as to how I'd go about building a charming daredevil of a dandy, knavish bard.

The idea I'm going for is essentially the Dandy Highwayman (https://youtu.be/4B2a6l6wM2k), 'cept with magic, and probably not pistols unless someone knows how to make bards that use firearms well enough to justify 'em.

EDIT: Also, Bards with pistols. How do I do that without a dip, if at all?

legomaster00156
2015-09-13, 05:33 PM
As it happens, the Bard has an actual Daredevil archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/daredevil). It should suit your purposes.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-13, 08:15 PM
As it happens, the Bard has an actual Daredevil archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/daredevil). It should suit your purposes.

The archetype...doesn't impress, I guess. Replaces a lot of the stuff I get a lot of mileage out of when playing a bard to...not do that much, I guess?

DMVerdandi
2015-09-13, 09:32 PM
What about street performer archetype [especially for streetwise].
You get half your level as a bonus for intimidate.

Personally, the stuff that bard gets is a bit too good IMO to change it up, but this one seems to at least have a lot of flavor.
Just flavor him as a stick-up artiste. Able to get in, and get out of situations like it's nothing, while making mucho dinero from it.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 06:29 AM
What about street performer archetype [especially for streetwise].
You get half your level as a bonus for intimidate.

Versatile Performance (Comedy) has me covered on Intimidate.

Personally, the stuff that bard gets is a bit too good IMO to change it up, but this one seems to at least have a lot of flavor.

Giving up Bardic Knowledge is a big lift. One of my favorite reasons to play Bard is breezing through all the party's Knowledge checks.

Just flavor him as a stick-up artiste. Able to get in, and get out of situations like it's nothing, while making mucho dinero from it.

Now this, this I can do. Roll in all handsome, charm the coins out of their pockets, stroll away and laugh all the way to the bank. Needless to say, character would be some sort of Chaotic Good/Chaotic Neutral sort.

Perhaps some kind of dandy highwayman, who they're too scared to mention.

NightbringerGGZ
2015-09-14, 11:22 AM
Are you specifically wanting to play a Bard, or are you looking to have certain abilities and the Bard just happens to fill all your requirements. If the later, then if you could share the abilities you're looking for we might be able to help bring in more of the dandy & pirate flavour with other classes. The Vexing Daredevil Mesmerist, for instance, might be a good chassis to build off of.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 11:34 AM
Are you specifically wanting to play a Bard, or are you looking to have certain abilities and the Bard just happens to fill all your requirements. If the later, then if you could share the abilities you're looking for we might be able to help bring in more of the dandy & pirate flavour with other classes. The Vexing Daredevil Mesmerist, for instance, might be a good chassis to build off of.

More the former than the latter. I'm familiar enough with how to play a Bard to not **** it up just to play an Adam and the Ants reference.

Bard's already a dandy, and pirate's pretty much just...not being a dumbass when around boaty stuff. That, the boat stuff I could use some advice about.

That, and possibly if it's possible to use firearms as a non-dip Bard.

legomaster00156
2015-09-14, 12:20 PM
1. Profession (sailor) and the feat Skilled Driver (water vehicles). That covers the whole sailor part.
2. Exotic Weapon Proficiency ([whatever firearm you're wanting to use]). Though, really, a dip in Gunslinger will do you more good. There's even the Buccaneer archetype for human Gunslingers.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 01:15 PM
1. Profession (sailor) and the feat Skilled Driver (water vehicles). That covers the whole sailor part.
2. Exotic Weapon Proficiency ([whatever firearm you're wanting to use]). Though, really, a dip in Gunslinger will do you more good. There's even the Buccaneer archetype for human Gunslingers.

If I was going to dip 'slinger for what are admittedly flavor-pistols, Mysterious Stranger keys off my already high Charisma, and might not overlap with Buccaneer.

Gnaeus
2015-09-14, 02:00 PM
You could also look at Picaroon archetype swashbuckler. Cha focus. Gives pistol prof, the ability to shoot in melee, weapon finesse and TWF in 1 level. Clearing misfires doesn't come until 3, but you get a lot of other good stuff then, and charmed life at 2 (add cha to saves 3/day) would also be nice for a high cha chassis.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 02:44 PM
You could also look at Picaroon archetype swashbuckler. Cha focus. Gives pistol prof, the ability to shoot in melee, weapon finesse and TWF in 1 level. Clearing misfires doesn't come until 3, but you get a lot of other good stuff then, and charmed life at 2 (add cha to saves 3/day) would also be nice for a high cha chassis.

Picaroon looks like a potential dip. I'm unsure how much a pure Picaroon could supernaturally charm the pants off anyone in possession of an excess of gold pieces.

Gnaeus
2015-09-15, 01:38 PM
Picaroon looks like a potential dip. I'm unsure how much a pure Picaroon could supernaturally charm the pants off anyone in possession of an excess of gold pieces.

Sure. One level, 3 tops.