PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Which class best suits this character concept?

AmbientRaven
2015-09-13, 06:11 AM
Hi Folks,

I am starting a new campaign soon, and need help narrowing down my character class. The game will have 3 new players and 3 experienced players.

My concept is my character is an aspect of Kelemvor. He was a mercenary returned from death to hunt down those whom have avoided death in some way; as an aspect of Kelemvor.

I am torn between Favored Soul and Retribution Paladin. Both seem to suit the idea of a Grim Reaper granted powers from a deity.

I am considering: Pure vengeance Paladin; 1 Paladin/19FS; 3 paladin/17 Forgotten soul. They all have perks and draw backs.
I'll use full plate and a Great-Sword; otherwise I can end up with 25-27ac with no magic items, and want to keep it in check. I did want to duel wield, but to many bonus action skills already.

Any advice would be fantastic!

JNAProductions
2015-09-13, 06:18 AM
How do you get 25 AC? I think you're doing something wrong here.

AmbientRaven
2015-09-13, 06:34 AM
Not at level one, but doable by level 4-5 depending on game wealth.
Full-Plate (18) Shield (2) Reaction: Shield (5) for fun Shield of Faith (2)
25-27 AC

JellyPooga
2015-09-13, 07:35 AM
My concept is my character is an aspect of Kelemvor. He was a mercenary returned from death to hunt down those whom have avoided death in some way; as an aspect of Kelemvor.

Any Paladin could fit this. Vengeance is the most obviously fluff related and Devotion has the whole protection/detection thing going for it, but personally, I like the Oath of Ancients for the "returned from death to bring justice to the unworthy" style of things; Undying Sentinel has that "I've been dead once, I'm not so easy to kill again" vibe, but it does only come online in the late game.

Which brings me to another idea; Barbarian. It's got that Undying Sentinel thing of being hard to kill in spades; high HD, resistance to damage, Relentless Rage. If you're looking for that "undying avenger" schtick, Barbarian has a lot of merit.

If you want to capitalise on the "returned from the dead" thing and go all dark, broody and supernatural (I'm thinking of "The Crow" here), then Rogue and/or Warlock might serve you well. The Bonus Actions Rogue grants can easily be fluffed as supernatural swiftness and Expertise gives you godlike proficiency. Uncanny Dodge and Evasion also assist the "undying avenger" thing (I know I keep harping on about that, but it's a cool vibe!). Warlock has the obvious "dark connections" thing which can easily be refluffed to Kelemvor; Fiend Patron, perhaps, for the whole Grim Reaper thing - pretty much all the features particular to the Fiendlock marry up nicely fluffwise. Invocations like Devils Sight could give you that relentless and inescapable hunter feel. Pact of the Blade gives you an awesome looking Greatsword that you can't lose too!

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Hope they help!

P.S. I have no idea what Forgotten Soul is, so apologies if anything I've said is relevant to it.

JNAProductions
2015-09-13, 09:57 AM
Not at level one, but doable by level 4-5 depending on game wealth.
Full-Plate (18) Shield (2) Reaction: Shield (5) for fun Shield of Faith (2)
25-27 AC

Ah. I thought you meant full-time AC. Temporarily achieving high ACs isn't a big issue.

Also, I believe he means Favored Soul, the Sorcerer subclass.

Steampunkette
2015-09-13, 11:42 AM
Fiend Warlock.

Then refluff all of your Fiend Warlock Abilities into Necrotic Damage and Necromantic effects.

You don't Hurl people Through Hell. You use skeletal arms to drag them to their grave and force them to dig their way back out the next turn.

AmbientRaven
2015-09-13, 08:00 PM
Thank you for all the feedback!

The character initially doesn't recognize he is a reaper. So he wont start out all dark and broody.

Warlock: The reason i didn't pick warlock is that he starts with little to no knowledge of his abilities, and gains them as he goes. he knows something weird has happened though (think Spawn). Also Warlocks are a bit squishy and we lack front line besides myself. Which is why i am keeping to a full-plate class.

Barbarian: I currently play a halfling wolf totem barbarian in another game, so, don't wish to play another one.

I should have been clearer, sorry, it is Sorcerer (Favored Soul) and Vengeance Paladin i am tossing up between. The reason vengeance as its abilities match with the seeing someone who should be dead, and killing them (hunters mark, oath of vengeance wect.) I considered Oathbreaker, but he doesn't know specifically about his abilities, and, he is supposed to blend in with normal people ( so aura of fear doesn't really suit)

Nifft
2015-09-13, 08:09 PM
Sorcerer (Forgotten Soul) and Vengeance Paladin i am tossing up between. The reason vengeance as its abilities match with the seeing someone who should be dead, and killing them (hunters mark, oath of vengeance wect.) I considered Oathbreaker, but he doesn't know specifically about his abilities, and, he is supposed to blend in with normal people ( so aura of fear doesn't really suit)
Do you mean Favored Soul?

Or is there another type of Sorcerer out and I missed it?

Vengeance Paladin / Favored Soul does sound like a really good mix for this character. Which Domain were you going to take?

AmbientRaven
2015-09-13, 09:30 PM
Do you mean Favored Soul?

Or is there another type of Sorcerer out and I missed it?

Vengeance Paladin / Favored Soul does sound like a really good mix for this character. Which Domain were you going to take?

I do, i'm being an idiot it seems (this is why you shouldn't procrastipost while doing a 3000 word essay)

War Domain is the most fitting i believe

Nifft
2015-09-13, 11:03 PM
I do, i'm being an idiot it seems (this is why you shouldn't procrastipost while doing a 3000 word essay)

War Domain is the most fitting i believe

Okay cool.

For Kelemvor, the peaceful guardian of the dead, Life might actually be a good pick.

Death Ward, Beacon of Hope, Revivify, and Raise Dead are squarely in his portfolio. Guardian of Faith is ghostly. If you flavor Spiritual Weapon to be wielded by a spirit, that fits too.