PDA

View Full Version : Best System for Cyberpunk setting?

WhiteShark
2015-09-13, 06:22 AM
I've got the urge to run a game again, specifically a cyberpunk/scifi style game (mostly inspired by having just finished Shadowrun: Hong Kong). However, I'm extremely torn as to what system I should use, having never used any of them before. Here are the ones I've considered and what I know about them. Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Shadowrun (probably 4th ED)
Pros: Loads of setting material, actual currency system with discrete prices and lots of gear/cyberware, lethal combat
Cons: Lots of separate system mechanics (rigging/decking/magic), have to throw out the setting if magic is undesired (i.e. for a harder scifi game), overall complexity

Cyberpunk 2020
Pros: Another actual currency system with prices, gear and cyberware, lethal combat, seems like a solid representation of a cyberpunk setting
Cons: Probably would have to hack it a bunch (standard DCs for shooting stuff? attractiveness basically not mattering? weird and unnecessary classes/jobs?), lots of complicated netrunner stuff to learn

Ex Machina (tristat system)
Pros: Seems fairly streamlined and customizable, multiple settings presented in the material, somewhat lethal combat
Cons: gear/cyberware as part of character advancement, potentially very unbalanced character options

GURPS (Transhuman Space)
Pros: Supposed to be pretty good? Don't know much about this option.
Cons: Supposed to be pretty complex?

D20 Future
Pros: Familiar mechanics, discrete money/gear/cyberware system
Cons: class system, tired of a lot of d20 system mechanics (d20 style HP, saving throws, others)

Savage Worlds (scifi addon)
Pros: Fast/simple combat, money/gear system
Cons: unsure, I don't know much about Savage Worlds

I think some of my personal preferences are probably clear from how I've described these games, but I'll go ahead and make it explicit anyway. I very obviously enjoy having an actual currency system. Having to make hard decisions about what equipment to buy with a fairly limited amount of cash like in Shadowrun: Hong Kong really makes you feel like a desperate mercenary trying to get by. It's also obvious that I prefer lethal combat systems. It doesn't need to be fast necessarily, but I think that in a hard scifi type setting it is more fitting for catching a bullet to be a Big Deal. Other than that, I mostly want to steer clear of unnecessarily complex game systems, but if the other advantages of a given system are strong enough then I will set aside my apathy. I'm not unwilling to do a small amount of system hacking, but I would rather keep that to a minimum.

So there you have it. I haven't played a single one of these, but I've done a decent amount of skimming through rules for a lot of them. With the help of the playground (thanks in advance), maybe I can overcome my legendary indecisiveness and actually pick one. :smallwink:

woodlandkammao
2015-09-13, 02:00 PM
Try Shadowrun 5th ed, It cleans up the worst of hacking mechanics and makes gunplay much more fun. Everything still requires a doctorate in game mechanics and dice mountain rolling, but I kinda like it that way

TheOOB
2015-09-13, 04:07 PM
I'll put in a vote for shadowrun, but 3rd edition, I actually think that's the one that got it best.

WhiteShark
2015-09-15, 08:30 PM
Does anyone else have any thoughts? From what people have said here and what I've read elsewhere I'm leaning pretty hard towards SR, but there does seem to be a lot of disagreement about which edition to use. If anyone could give some perspective on that I would appreciate it.

comicshorse
2015-09-15, 08:38 PM
I must say I favour 3rd Ed Shadowrun too

The Grue
2015-09-15, 08:43 PM
Is Eclipse Phase too out-there for what you're looking for?

WhiteShark
2015-09-15, 09:04 PM
Is Eclipse Phase too out-there for what you're looking for?

Well, I do like a lot of the ideas in Eclipse Phase, but I'm not sure I would really classify it as a cyberpunk setting. Rather, it strikes me as being utterly posthumanist and quite different from the idea of technology disenfranchising the common man. Of course, I've only skimmed a bit of it, so correct me if I'm wrong here.

The Grue
2015-09-15, 09:05 PM
Well, I do like a lot of the ideas in Eclipse Phase, but I'm not sure I would really classify it as a cyberpunk setting. Rather, it strikes me as being utterly posthumanist and quite different from the idea of technology disenfranchising the common man. Of course, I've only skimmed a bit of it, so correct me if I'm wrong here.

Well, the Jovian Republic is pretty big on disenfranchising the common man from the benefits of technology. As are the inner planets to a lesser degree.

A campaign set in the Republic would probably feel a lot like Shadowrun, but without the magic and in space.