PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Character Concept: Battlefield Commander/Controller

ZiggZagg
2015-09-13, 09:21 AM
So, new campaign coming up for D&D 3.5. It is set in modern times, but with access to most evrything you would find in a D&D campaign.
Sources avaialable:

All 3.5 nonsource-setting material (so no Eberron or Forgotten Realms)
Dragon Compendium
DM is willing to allow homebrew modifications within reason

What I am looking for is a character that is mostly ranged based (modern era=firearms.) I would like for him to be a battlefield commander type character. Providing buffs/bonuses/auras/whatever. I have never really built a character like this, so I am not quite sure where to start. Race is likely locked to human. Class preferences are to try to lean away from casters, since we are going to have two characters each, and my other character is going to be a caster. I was thinking Crusader (not ranged focused, but White Raven is exactly what I had in mind), Dragon Shaman, or even Bard (not a full caster, and is based around buffing.) So, anyway, that's what I got. Flaws are allowed. I BELIEVE starting level is 1st. Anything else, just ask.

I turn it over to you, folks :D

Ellowryn
2015-09-13, 09:53 AM
Hrm, for buffing you really can't go wrong with a wizard, cleric, or bard. Seeing as you don't want a true caster for your second character then bard is probably what you want to do. Gain the dragonblood subtype somehow, grab dragonfire inspiration, and watch the d6's pile up. If you want some passive buffs then grab the draconic aura feat from dragon magic to provide some minor passive benefits, and because you have the dragonblood subtype the bonus improves with character level. War Weaver wouldn't be a bad PrC, as it allows your buffs to affect more people than normal with minimal investment.

Nifft
2015-09-13, 10:05 AM
Battlefield Control makes me think of a spellcaster.

Buffs makes me think of a spellcaster.

You say you don't want a spellcaster, but is that set in stone, or could a spellcaster which only did buffing and battlefield control meet your needs?

- - -

I totally agree about White Raven being amazing as a commander / leadership type.

Ideally, you could reflavor the Jade Phoenix Mage to use White Raven instead of Desert Wind (and keep Devoted Spirit which is fine for a commander type).

Regarding Bards, their music is a great fit for the commander, but I don't think their spell list is a good fit. Glibness? Suggestion? Hideous Laughter? They're great spells but not battlefield control / commander spells.

You might get some mileage out of a reflavored Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard), possibly with a different school focus (perhaps Abjuration, Illusion, and Transmutation instead of Enchantment).

ZiggZagg
2015-09-13, 11:22 AM
I have never played a Dragon Shaman. What are everyone's thoughts on them, and can they be made into anything decent? Obviously not going to match a caster, but are there any fun tricks with them?

Nifft
2015-09-13, 11:28 AM
I have never played a Dragon Shaman. What are everyone's thoughts on them, and can they be made into anything decent? Obviously not going to match a caster, but are there any fun tricks with them?

They seem terrible to me.

IMHO a Dragonfire Adept with the Draconic Aura (Vitality) feat is everything a Dragon Shaman wishes it could be.

OldTrees1
2015-09-13, 12:20 PM
Bard is designed for large area many targets buffs.

Wizard into Prestige Bard using all the normal buffs to buff bardic buffing and throwing around Chain spell Wizard buffs(like Chain Haste) would be a good choice.

Add in 1-2 levels of Marshal for 2 smaller ranged buffs.

Thus you have 1-2 long range buffs from Bard, some medium range buffs from Wizard, and 1-2 short range buffs from Marshal.

Sprinkle in levels of Crusader for obtaining and refreshing White Raven maneuvers.