PDA

View Full Version : Trooper [Base Class]

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-13, 05:39 PM
I was working on this class for a while and reached a place where I was more or less satisfied with it.

I recently looked at it again, and it struck me how many dead levels it had. So, here it is again for more work!

I'm thinking about giving it some sort of sneak attack or sniping ability.
[hr]
Trooper
The trooper is a skilled combatant, like the fighter, but more suited to a more modern sort of combat. He shares some traits with the ranger, but without the latter's magical connection to nature.
Alignment: Any.
Vitality Die: d8.
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Bonus feat
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|~
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Bonus feat
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|~
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|~
6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Bonus feat
7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Special ability
8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|~
9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Bonus feat
10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Special ability
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3|~
12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+4|Bonus feat
13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+4|Special ability
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+4|~
15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+5|Bonus feat
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+5|Special ability
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|~
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Bonus feat
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|Special ability
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|~[/table]Class Skills
The trooper's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidation (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (war) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficency: The trooper is proficient in all simple and martial weapons and in light armor and shields.
Bonus Feats: At 1st and 3rd level, and every third level thereafter, the trooper gains the Track feat or a feat from the fighter bonus feat list. Note that the trooper must still meet all prerequisites for the feats he selects.
Special Abilities: At 7th level, and every third level thereafter, the troopr gains a special ability, which can be chosen from the following list. The trooper's special abilities only function when he is wearing light or no armor, and all of them are extraordinary.
Light Sleeper: Whenever the trooper is sleeping, he gains a bonus to all Listen checks equal to half his soldier level (maximum +10). Note that sleeping characters usually have a -10 penalty to all Listen checks.
Evasion: The trooper gains the evasion ability.
Ranged Flanking: When the trooper is wielding a ranged weapon, he threatens foes (for purposes of flanking only) from up to 30 feet away. In order to threaten an enemy in this way, he must have line of effect, and his foe must be aware of his presence. Normally, you can only flank enemies with melee weapons.
Ranged Threat: When the trooper is wielding a ranged weapon, he is considered to threaten in a 30-foot cone as well as his normal threatened area, and he gains the ability to make attacks of opportunity with a ranged weapon. A trooper can only make one attack of opportunity per round per target using this threatened area, even if the trooper has Combat Reflexes. Combat Reflexes does allow the trooper to make more than one attack of opportunity against different targets in the same round using this threatened area. In order to take an attack of opportunity with a ranged weapon, the trooper must have line of effect to his target. The trooper must have selected the ranged flanking special ability prior to taking this ability. A trooper attacking with a ranged weapon in melee combat provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.
Defensive Roll: The trooper gains the ability to roll with otherwise lethal attacks, as the rogue ability of the same name.
Skill Mastery: The trooper selects a number of skills equal to 3 + his Intelligence modifier. He can take 10 on those skills even when distractions or other adverse conditions would otherwise prevent him from doing so.
Camouflage: The trooper can use the Hide skill in any kind of terrain, even if it does not provide cover or concealment.
Unimpeded Stride: The trooper's speed is unaffected by mundane impediments such as undergrowth, rubble, mud, or the like. Magically enhanced impediments have their full effect on him.

Matthew
2007-05-18, 08:12 PM
So, is this a Base Class for D&D or D20 Past/Modern/Future?

Kellus
2007-05-18, 10:14 PM
I like the idea of this class, but if all it gets are its special abilities and bonus feats, there should be more of a selection of special abilities.

I agree with some sort of sniping ability as well, since it's definitely made for ranged attacks. Maybe the Ranged Precision ability from the Order of the Bow Initiate? Basically it adds extra d8s of damage to an attack as long as you only make one attack in the round. It even works with the flavour of the class, where the Trooper can take his time to aim and cause more damage.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-22, 08:59 AM
It's meant to be a D&D base class for a setting with a more modern sort of feel.

Hazkali
2007-05-22, 09:45 AM
I like it, but it seems like a more thematic version of the fighter with fewer bonus feats...:smalleek:

Saying that, I like the abilities; they are very cool (especially the "light sleeper" and "ranged threat" abilities).

Perhaps giving it the Ranger's favoured enemy and it would be perfect?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-22, 10:12 AM
It sort of is. It's designed to model something closer to the skills of the modern soldier as opposed to the more medieval-style combatant that the fighter is best for.

I'm opposed to giving it the favored enemy ability, because it doesn't fit well with the "modern soldier" feel.

I'm considering giving them a "precise strike" ability, where they can choose between getting sneak attack and a sniping ability, which would only work at long range and require a full round action.

Trooper
The trooper is a skilled combatant, like the fighter, but more suited to a more modern sort of combat. He shares some traits with the ranger, but without the latter's magical connection to nature.
Alignment: Any.
Vitality Die: d8.
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Precise strike +1d6
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|~
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Precise strike +2d6
8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Precise strike +3d6
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3|Precise strike +4d6
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+4|Precise strike +5d6
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Precise strike +6d6
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Precise strike +7d6[/table]Class Skills
The trooper's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidation (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (war) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficency: The trooper is proficient in all simple and martial weapons and in light armor and shields.
Bonus Feats: At 1st and 3rd level, and every third level thereafter, the trooper gains the Track feat or a feat from the fighter bonus feat list. Note that the trooper must still meet all prerequisites for the feats he selects.
Precise Strike (Ex): At 2nd level, the trooper learns how to place his attacks with precision to cause greater damage. On gaining this ability, he must choose one of the following versions of this ability:
Melee Precision: As the rogue's sneak attack ability, except usable with melee weapons only.
Short-Range Precision: As the rogue's sneak attack ability, except usable with ranged weapons only.
Long-Range Precision: A trooper may take a full-round action to fire a projectile weapon at a target who is no less than 90 feet away and denied his Dexterity bonus to AC. Any penalties to the trooper's attack roll because of range are reduced by half (round down).
Special Abilities: At 7th level, and every third level thereafter, the troopr gains a special ability, which can be chosen from the following list. The trooper's special abilities only function when he is wearing light or no armor, and all of them are extraordinary.
Light Sleeper: Whenever the trooper is sleeping, he gains a bonus to all Listen checks equal to half his soldier level (maximum +10). Note that sleeping characters usually have a -10 penalty to all Listen checks.
Evasion: The trooper gains the evasion ability.
Ranged Flanking: When the trooper is wielding a ranged weapon, he threatens foes (for purposes of flanking only) from up to 30 feet away. In order to threaten an enemy in this way, he must have line of effect, and his foe must be aware of his presence. Normally, you can only flank enemies with melee weapons.
Ranged Threat: When the trooper is wielding a ranged weapon, he is considered to threaten in a 30-foot cone as well as his normal threatened area, and he gains the ability to make attacks of opportunity with a ranged weapon. A trooper can only make one attack of opportunity per round per target using this threatened area, even if the trooper has Combat Reflexes. Combat Reflexes does allow the trooper to make more than one attack of opportunity against different targets in the same round using this threatened area. In order to take an attack of opportunity with a ranged weapon, the trooper must have line of effect to his target. The trooper must have selected the ranged flanking special ability prior to taking this ability. A trooper attacking with a ranged weapon in melee combat provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.
Defensive Roll: The trooper gains the ability to roll with otherwise lethal attacks, as the rogue ability of the same name.
Skill Mastery: The trooper selects a number of skills equal to 3 + his Intelligence modifier. He can take 10 on those skills even when distractions or other adverse conditions would otherwise prevent him from doing so.
Camouflage: The trooper can use the Hide skill in any kind of terrain, even if it does not provide cover or concealment.
Unimpeded Stride: The trooper's speed is unaffected by mundane impediments such as undergrowth, rubble, mud, or the like. Magically enhanced impediments have their full effect on him.

Reinboom
2007-05-22, 10:36 AM
How about steadily enhancing the range increment of every ranged weapon it uses?

Increase critical threat range/and/or give a bonus to confirming critical threats with ranged weaponry.

Ability to spend a round to take aim, to make next attack get a +something to hit and overcomes DR, at the cost of being prone until the attack is made.

Eventual decrease into the amount of sleep required, decreased by 2 hours.

The ability to resist harsh weather.

Additional dodge bonus when using full cover.

Resistance to fatigue and exhaustion.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-22, 11:04 AM
So, is this a Base Class for D&D or D20 Past/Modern/Future?

You can tell d20 Modern classes by the fact they never have more than 10 levels, completely differant weapon proficiencies, they have odd numbered skill points since all characters are assumed human and they have Reputation and Defence progressions.

From looking at this class I haven't quite worked out what its reason to exist is supposed to be.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-22, 11:16 AM
I read in Heroes of Battle that in a high-magic setting, warfare would look a lot more like modern than medieval war, and that the Ranger was actually a better fit for many of the skills and abilities of the modern soldier than the Fighter.

Drawing on that idea, this class, the Trooper, began as an adaptation of the Ranger. It is intended to represent an evolution away from the medieval combatant (as typified by the fighter) and toward a more modern combatant.

One could argue that one can achieve a similar result with multiclassing and ability swapping, but then, what is ability swapping but another way to make a homebrew class?

Matthew
2007-05-24, 05:55 PM
You can tell d20 Modern classes by the fact they never have more than 10 levels, completely differant weapon proficiencies, they have odd numbered skill points since all characters are assumed human and they have Reputation and Defence progressions.

From looking at this class I haven't quite worked out what its reason to exist is supposed to be.
Heh, it was intended as more of a leading question than a literal one...

Yeah, you hear the claim that warfare would be totally different in D&D than in the Medieval / Ancient world, blah, blah, blah. Really, though, it all depends what you want to do. The fact is that in the default D&D Setting (i.e. Greyhawk) wars are fought in a very medieval manner. That the core rules don't gel with this just emphasises the limitations of the mechanics to drive the intended game world. regardless, I now understand what the purpose of this Base Class is!

Poppatomus
2007-05-24, 06:16 PM
that is extremely cool. I particularly like the ranged threat.

Dryad
2007-05-24, 07:20 PM
So.. Basically you've got a rogue with fewer skill points, better saves, full bab and fighter bonus feats, and early access to special abilities...

Wow.. If this would be a normal core class, nobody would ever consider a combat-rogue anymore.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-26, 07:15 PM
Hmmm, good point. The precise strike should probably be toned down somehow. Maybe I should decrease it to d4s?

And I still need something for 4th level...

Also, what do people think of having a special ability that lets you use precise strike at another range, as if you were 3 levels lower?

onxy9600
2007-05-27, 01:15 AM
When I think trooper, I see the "soldier" who has fought a dozen skirmishs walking through the camp encouraging younger, greener fighters. As he gets to the line, he checks his crossbow, armor, and sword. Knowing he will likely be able to get off only a couple of shots. His endurance and steel nerve have brought him this far and will carry him on.

So, I do not argue with his abilities with ranged weaponry, or a bonus, because he knows it must count. As the character levels you might also give a bonus to save against fear. While not the paladin's immunity, fueled by his faith, the trooper has seen things that would shock the normal fighter.

As a neat idea:

While troopers stand together, they get a +1 to hit and damage (max +5), however if one falls, they must save versus an unmodified fear check. Failure will cause that trooper to retreat and regroup.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-27, 01:23 AM
Hmmm. I like the bonus against fear effects, but I don't think the teamwork thing would work as a class feature.

Arxheon89
2007-05-27, 07:19 AM
This looks like a good class, but i think it would be better if at the begining you could choose whether to go ranged or melee. The name trooper and the stuff that has been said about it make it seems more of a class that could swing both ways. Like a blend of a ranger, a rouge and a fighter. Maybe the the melee stuff instead of being up close and hacking like a fighter it could focus more on moving in strking well to do the max damage and then moving out straight away.
so these are my sugestions use if you like dismiss if ya don't.

:smallsmile: ps also happy as this is my first post on the forums:smallsmile:

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-24, 02:48 PM
Veni, vidi, offensi.

Tracersmith
2007-06-24, 04:32 PM
assuming this is a redo of your martial ranger class you did A while back. You may want to remind everyone that firearms are availible.

1 I agree with a reduced fear affect
2 I would add firearms as a martial weapon
3 I would keep all special stuff for ranged att's and the dagger or sword would only be a back up.
4 what happened to the trap finding.... I know that the miltary trains for trap finding.
5 why would a "trooper" who shoots a rifle be taught to use a shield?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-24, 04:45 PM
assuming this is a redo of your martial ranger class you did A while back. You may want to remind everyone that firearms are availible.

1 I agree with a reduced fear affect
2 I would add firearms as a martial weapon
3 I would keep all special stuff for ranged att's and the dagger or sword would only be a back up.
4 what happened to the trap finding.... I know that the miltary trains for trap finding.
5 why would a "trooper" who shoots a rifle be taught to use a shield?

1) K.
2) Meh. That's why they have bonus feats.
3) It's in a transition zone between firearm-based warfare and more traditional warfare; I think giving them the choice is fine as it is.
4) Trapfinding! That would be good for 4th level, I think. Either that, or they can take the Trapfinding feat I made up for my Bard Redux...
5) It's a transition, like I said. And besides, nobody's army actually marches in formation anywhere, and yet, modern militaries still teach those skills. *shrug*

Tracersmith
2007-06-24, 04:52 PM
good point about the formation marches

Demented
2007-06-24, 04:54 PM
5) It's a transition, like I said. And besides, nobody's army actually marches in formation anywhere, and yet, modern militaries still teach those skills. *shrug*

Sure they do.

In parades. :smallamused:

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-26, 08:58 AM
Sure they do.

In parades. :smallamused:

:smallyuk: to you, sir. The point remains that formation marching serves no purpose in the field in modern warfare, however useful it might be in teaching discipline.

Okay, I think I like trapfinding.

However, it occurs to me that perhaps I should make the special ability progression begin at 4th and make trapfinding one of the special abilities available?

Yakk
2007-06-26, 09:51 AM
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Precise strike +1d6
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Uncanny Dodge
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|AC Bonus +1
8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Precise strike +2d6
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3|AC Bonus +2
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+4|Precise strike +3d6
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|AC Bonus +3
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Precise strike +4d6[/table]

Uncanny Dodge:
At level 4, as Rogue.

Trooper AC Bonus:
A Trooper gains a Dodge bonus to AC while in light or no armor at level 5 of +1. Every 6 levels thereafter, the Trooper gains an additional +1.

This change dilutes the Trooper's Precise Strike, so that a more traditional sneak attack class will out-damage it.

The AC Bonus helps make up for the light armor choices of the Trooper to a certain extent.