PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Weapons [Feats]

Tengu
2007-05-13, 06:26 PM
Inspired by ocato's post in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2580111#post2580111) topic.

Bardic Weapons
Prerequesite: Bard Music class ability
Effect: You can combine any axe and a guitar (or similar string instrument), or any bow and a harp into an item that counts both as an instrument and as the weapon given. When using such a weapon, the character can use charisma instead of strength for damage rolls.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 07:32 PM
Weird. Very weird indeed.

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-13, 08:58 PM
Kinda reminds me of that old Adventurers comic that ended awhile back.

Demented
2007-05-13, 09:00 PM
Fear my +2 Orc-bane banjoaxe!

As it's worded, though, you create a new item altogether rather than using your harp in an improvised fashion, as ocato said.

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-13, 09:09 PM
To make a banjaxe, a harpow, or any other combo weapon, you'd probably need a Craft (Painful Instrument) check.

GryffonDurime
2007-05-13, 09:19 PM
Hmmm....would this also invite things like a morocco mace? Or a shield-gong? How about a tromblade? Would a violin make a suitable crossbow?

I've actually had this discussion with an old friend of mine who seemed quite intent on causing as much musical melee mayhem as humanly possible.

ocato
2007-05-13, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I would probably turn this into an item creation feat. Make proficiency based on having ranks in the proper perform skill. So you'd get like

Harp of the Elves
This magical harp functions as a masterwork harp (+2 to perform checks) as well as a +2 shortbow with the exception that the wielder may add his charisma bonus (if he has one) to the damage roll . The wielder may use it as either without using an action to 'convert' it. Anyone with 6 ranks in perform (stringed) and proficiency with shortbows is treated as having proficiency with this item. A bluff check of 20 allows the carrier to convince another that it is only an instrument and not also a weapon. Enemies fascinated by a Bard's song may be caught offguard by a sudden attack from the harp, treating them as flatfooted and dealing an additional 1d6 damage.

Then give it an XP cost and pick some spells, probably soundburst and summon instrument, to be apart of the crafting process.

My 2cp