PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Arcane Archivist (oracle revelation)

Selion
2015-09-13, 01:18 PM
This is in my opinion the worst written rule i have found in pathfinder:

Arcane Archivist (Su): Your experience with lore-filled tomes has granted you the ability to cast arcane spells as if they were on your spell list. Once per day, you can cast a spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list as if it were on your list of spells known. The spell consumes a spell slot one level higher than the level of the spell. You must have a spellbook containing the spell to cast it in this way, and the spell is erased when you complete the casting. You must be at least 11th level to select this revelation.

What it means? Can an oracle copy a spell from a scroll or he needs a wizard to do the job for him? Can an oracle copy a spell from a wizard's spellbook?
What happens if he has two spellbooks to prevent losing permanentely the spells he casts?
I want madly some home rules to change this ability, but i fear that giving the oracle free access to the entire wizard spell-list could be unbalanced like hell.

stack
2015-09-13, 02:07 PM
Seems pretty straightforward. Basically you pay a higher level slot to burn a spell out of a spellbook. The intent probably is to use looted spellbooks, but I guess you could have a friendly wizard scribe a bunch into one for you and have him rewrite them as needed.

No ability to scribe or otherwise work with arcane spells is given, you just get to cast it from a spellbook like the spellbook was a scroll, but using your CL and casting stat since it says you cast it. It's not overpowered since you have to have the spell availible, use a higher slot, spend money, and only get it once a day, but it is still versatile.