PDA

View Full Version : Episode recommendation for my "Best of Adventure Time" Collection

Fri
2015-09-13, 02:47 PM
Basically I just want recommendation for a personal "Best of Adventure Time" episode collection to watch when I'm bored.

No need to discuss whether Adventure Time is getting better or worse, not loved enough or overrated! Just tell me your personal favourite episodes, and why you like it! Also, tell me which one is that episode instead of just the title, because I can't remember all of their title.

My personal favourite Adventure Time episode of all time is It Came From The Nightosphere. The one with Finn and Jake summoning Marceline's Dad.

In my opinion it showcases the best of Adventure Time. Weirdness, silliness, horror, jokes, characters, writing, all of them. If I ever want to show an example episode of this show to someone, this is the one I'll show.

Other things that I like are BMO Noire (The one with BMO's POV where she's nonsensically investigates Finn's missing sock) and Root Beer Guy (Where a random Candy Kingdom citizen investigates a crime), mostly because I really like detective fiction and film-noir parodies.

Other highlights for me: Card Wars (silly TCG parody episode is always a win), All The Little People (Nonsensical shipping episode), Fiona and Cake and Bad Little Boy (Fiona and Cake are just cool).

A thing that I know will be recommended for this list would of course be Simon and Marcy (a bit too melancholic for my taste, but it is people's favourite episode for a reason). Puhoy (The one with pillow world) is also people's favourite, and my thought about it is similar.

Also, I guess I should put all season finale in this list, because all season finales are pretty serious adventures.

So, what other episodes would you recommend to this list?

Gopher Wizard
2015-09-13, 04:32 PM
Also, I guess I should put all season finale in this list, because all season finales are pretty serious adventures.

Does that mean you're also putting the season premieres on the list? Because a lot of them are cliffhangers and the premiere completes those specific subplots/narratives. The episode(s) were Finn meets his dad is/are great too!

I think it might be interesting to have a few episodes that just follows Finn's relationship with Flame Princess: the rise and fall of it. Also, every Fionna and Cake episode.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-16, 11:27 AM
Wizard. Finn somehow becomes a D&D style Wizard for an episode. Classic, and completely nonsensical.

City of Thieves. Displays the differences between Finn and Jake very definitively, plus all them thiefs thiefin' eachother.

It Came From the Nightosphere. Hunson Abadeer is probably the coolest villain on the show, and he makes a strong debut here.

Storytelling. This episode is just awesome, start to finish. Watch it to find out why.

The Silent King. Xergiok is just...he's just comedic gold and a half. His reign of terror is spanking people's hams, that's just...priceless.

The Real You. Four-dimensional swords? Hells yea.

Henchman. Marceline's just great in this episode.

Go With Me. One of the better episodes about romantic stuff, mostly because it stresses that you really don't have to right now.

Memory of a Memory. I'm a sucker for mental journeys, plus the Baby Finn Song is great.

What Was Missing. A quest, character development, a magic door monster, good music, and homoerotic subtext? What more does an episode even need?

Jake vs. Me-Mow. Me-Mow is just such an evil little lady, and I love unconventional assassins of any sort in a fantasy anything, always.

Holly Jolly Secrets, Parts I and II. The best Christmas special in a series, bar none. Also, show gets irreversibly deeper at this point.

Marceline's Closet. Most shows would've handled this much differently, and Adventure Time is all the better for doing something else with the premise.

Incendium and Hot to the Touch. Among other awesome things, introduction of Flame Princess, who has the same name as my sister, apparently.

Return to the Nightosphere and Daddy's Little Monster. The Nightosphere! Seriously, it's like a Boschian hellscape on an acid trip, but for kids. There's guys who poop bananas out of their ears, among other things.

Hug Wolf. I love this take on werewolves.

Goliad. Goliad is exactly why you don't leave Bonnibel alone with her ideas for too long. Classic episode.

Beyond this Earthly Realm. I love this one to pieces. Surreality dialed up to twelve, and Ice King is just fantastic.

Princess Cookie. Well-told story, start to finish. Also possibly an allegory for stuff you're not allowed to talk about in all-ages entertainment.

Card Wars. As a veteran MtG player, this one just speaks to me.

Burning Low. This one's just great. Nigh-apocalypse caused by makeouts? Only in Ooo does that kind of thing happen.

Lady and Peebles. Fun seeing those two go on a quest for once, and Ricardio again? Even better.

I Remember You. Why wouldn't I like this one?

Finn the Human and Jake the Dog. These two are great, and Prismo is an excellent character.

All the Little People. I have no idea what this episode is about, and that's why it's good.

Vault of Bones. Flame Princess goes on a dungeon crawl, is adorable. Also, there's hapless skeletons.

The Great Bird Man. More Xergiok? Hells yea.

Simon and Marcy. Right in the feels.

Puhoy. Rosalinen is too cute. Also, pretty funny take on the whole Narnia concept.

BMO Lost. One of the few times I've been straight-up compelled by a love story, ever.

The Party's Over, Isla de Seņorita. Island Lady is just the best.

Jake Suit. Finn, your Constitution score is crazy high. How is O-Chul not your dad?

Time Sandwich. I love epic struggles over petty things.

We Fixed a Truck. This episode is just wonderful, start to finish.

Root Beer Guy. Excellent story, excellent character I can relate to a lot. Just...yes. This is how you do a side-character story.

Blade of Grass. It's where Finn gets his coolest sword, and the ending is just hilariously unexpected.

Rattleballs. There's a better swordsman than Finn, who's just...really cool.

Betty. Betty! You're awesome, and...going nuts, apparently.

Lemonhope, Parts I and II. If this list was made of five episodes, both of these would still be on it. It's a great send-up of more conventional fantasy storytelling. Also, Lemonhope is both funny, and a nudist. Carry on, you wacky fruit golem. Lemonhope's my second favorite hero after Kent.

Billy's Bucket List. Canyon! Just, Canyon. All the Canyon.

Escape from the Citadel. Martin the Human! Why're you such an *******?

The Tower. Finn goes insane, as he really ought to have a long time ago. Also, cloud people.

Sad Face. Bug circuses are intrinsically cool.

Breezy. Breezy is adorkable and helpful. Female wingman with literal wings is also a great plot concept.

Something Big. Darren is awesome! EVIL TREE!

Little Brother. Probably my absolute favorite. Kent is a Kirby-like rump-boy that goes on tiny, cthonic adventures. Seriously, this one is just the best. Kent is probably my favorite character in this series after all the waifus, or possibly my favorite entirely.

Peace Master. I love how Solomon Kane is a single dad, and his kids are adorably horrible.

Joshua and Margaret Investigations. Joshua and Margaret! They're just perfect.

Is That You? Just loved it. Can't say why, major spoilers.

Jake the Brick. Old media jokes? Classic. Plus, existential Jake.

Evergreen. Evergreen is just such a hilarious wizard, and Gunther-Prime is awesome. It's great to hear Pamela Adlon use her Bobby Hill voice for something, too.

Gold Stars. The most unlikely protagonist of an episode of Adventure Time gets an episode, and is sympathetic. Amazing.

The Visitor. The morality of a Pikmin scenario played out. Impressive.

Hoots. Cosmic Owl gets explained. He's even better with context.

On the Lam. Martin goes on a Planetary Romance adventure, breezes through it by being an utter scoundrel, and rides a Space Moth.

Also, every Fionna and Cake episode.

Seconded. They actually put effort into how they'd genderbend the characters, and it works.

...I wanna see Peppermint Maid do something diabolically horrible.

Gopher Wizard
2015-09-16, 01:47 PM
City of Thieves. Displays the differences between Finn and Jake very definitively, plus all them thiefs thiefin' eachother.

Oh yeah, Penny. One of my favorite Adventure Time characters! Out of all the characters in that show (main/supporting/recurring/minor) she's the one I want to see far more of.

Fri
2015-09-17, 04:41 AM
Thank you, ThinkMinty!

I agree with most of your recommendation, and even the ones I won't put in my list I still agree that they are still great episodes. It's just that they're kinda melancholic or dramatic (like the downfall of Finn's relationship with Flame Princess) and I'm more thinking to compose this list as something I'd watch to unwind.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-17, 09:52 AM
Oh yeah, Penny. One of my favorite Adventure Time characters! Out of all the characters in that show (main/supporting/recurring/minor) she's the one I want to see far more of.

Penny was great, in part because she was such a good thief. That little lass could steal anything that wasn't nailed to the floor, and then steal the nails, and then steal what was nailed to the floor. Then she'd steal the floor.