PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Rifles?

Afgncaap5
2015-09-13, 05:17 PM
tl;dr - Are there any WotC approved Sniper Rifles that'd fit in a D&D game?

Long version:
So... a friend told me that she didn't think D&D could create stats for something called Crescent Rose without dipping into homebrew or third party material. I found out that Crescent Rose comes from the show RWBY (still haven't seen it) and I asked if I could use the elvish swordbows from Races of the Wild as a "model" since it suggested that other weapons of this type could be constructed, and she was willing to go with it. That made it simple enough, but when I opened the DMG to find a Sniper Rifle among the futuristic and modern weapons, I found that not only were there none, but there weren't any gold-piece prices for them. (I suppose it might stretch credibility if my 6d8 Antimatter Rifle was purchased with gold... plus they're meant to be treated as artifacts, which don't have prices either, typically.) So... I determined that the cost of the item would probably be something like 18618 gp + whatever the cost is for a sniper rifle (I'm assuming both the Scythe and the Sniper Rifle have the +1 and Flaming properties), and she accepted that as a decent job, but it feels a little weird to not have a final market price or damage die output for it. Any thoughts?

(Addendum: we're using Flaming as 'good enough', though apparently in RWBY the ammunition of Crescent Rose doesn't deal damage so much as it... explodes things? Concussive damage or air-based bludgeoning damage or something... anyway, custom alchemical bullets are probably required, but it's not something we're worried about right now.)

AtlasSniperman
2015-09-13, 07:07 PM
I don't fully understand what your asking, but Sniper Rifles as used by modern militaries are Masterwork versions of the "Rifle, hunting" in DMG p.146. If you want a scope then just add the Distance Enchantment to it.

As for pricing the DMG hunting rifle as a non-artifact based on D&D prices(which I have done because I love Rifles and use them in my campaigns anyway :P)
A small "Rifle, Hunting" does 2d8 damage, same as a large Heavy Crossbow, and has a range of 80ft, which is 2/3rd the range of a large Heavy Crossbow. Technically there are no rules for determining a price based on that, though I feel it'd be reasonable to average those ratios(3/3 and 2/3 = 5/6) to get a price for a small "Rifle, Hunting", i.e. 83gp.
So a Small(and therefore Medium) Hunting Rifle should be about 383gp, I know you didn't want homebrew but this is homebrew purely for price.

Berenger
2015-09-13, 07:18 PM
http://www.d20resources.com/modern.d20.srd/equipment/weapons.longarms.php

Alistaroc
2015-09-13, 08:10 PM
d20 Modern Weapons Locker

Has a million and one guns, including a 22 page chapter on Sniper Rifles.

Afgncaap5
2015-09-13, 09:48 PM
I don't fully understand what your asking, but Sniper Rifles as used by modern militaries are Masterwork versions of the "Rifle, hunting" in DMG p.146. If you want a scope then just add the Distance Enchantment to it.

As for pricing the DMG hunting rifle as a non-artifact based on D&D prices(which I have done because I love Rifles and use them in my campaigns anyway :P)
A small "Rifle, Hunting" does 2d8 damage, same as a large Heavy Crossbow, and has a range of 80ft, which is 2/3rd the range of a large Heavy Crossbow. Technically there are no rules for determining a price based on that, though I feel it'd be reasonable to average those ratios(3/3 and 2/3 = 5/6) to get a price for a small "Rifle, Hunting", i.e. 83gp.
So a Small(and therefore Medium) Hunting Rifle should be about 383gp, I know you didn't want homebrew but this is homebrew purely for price.

Ooh, nifty. Thanks!

Swaoeaeieu
2015-09-14, 12:59 AM
tl;dr - Are there any WotC approved Sniper Rifles that'd fit in a D&D game?

Long version:
So... a friend told me that she didn't think D&D could create stats for something called Crescent Rose without dipping into homebrew or third party material. I found out that Crescent Rose comes from the show RWBY (still haven't seen it) and I asked if I could use the elvish swordbows from Races of the Wild as a "model" since it suggested that other weapons of this type could be constructed, and she was willing to go with it. That made it simple enough, but when I opened the DMG to find a Sniper Rifle among the futuristic and modern weapons, I found that not only were there none, but there weren't any gold-piece prices for them. (I suppose it might stretch credibility if my 6d8 Antimatter Rifle was purchased with gold... plus they're meant to be treated as artifacts, which don't have prices either, typically.) So... I determined that the cost of the item would probably be something like 18618 gp + whatever the cost is for a sniper rifle (I'm assuming both the Scythe and the Sniper Rifle have the +1 and Flaming properties), and she accepted that as a decent job, but it feels a little weird to not have a final market price or damage die output for it. Any thoughts?

(Addendum: we're using Flaming as 'good enough', though apparently in RWBY the ammunition of Crescent Rose doesn't deal damage so much as it... explodes things? Concussive damage or air-based bludgeoning damage or something... anyway, custom alchemical bullets are probably required, but it's not something we're worried about right now.)

if your friend is a RWBY fan let him check out this thread (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11281.0) giving you a 3.5 rule legal, fantasy build for all the RWBY main heroes.

So no sniper rifles, but getting a big crossbow with a scope is certainly doable.