PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mental Block

Vhaidara
2015-09-13, 05:36 PM
So, I found this gem of a spell while using a Mesmerist Pregen at PFS today.
Mental Block (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mental-block)
So, I find a few things odd about this
1. It's a Divination
2. It's a first level spell that literally turns off levels. Skill points, spells, class features, everything.
3. The target loses spells prepared. If I'm not mistaken, this means they have to reprepare spells.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-09-13, 05:46 PM
... That is certainly a reason for Mesmerists to get Heighten Spell. I'd say 'losing levels' is a bit harsh, but it does age well.

Oh my god I just imagined hitting a Dragon with that and it would be hilarious.

legomaster00156
2015-09-13, 05:49 PM
That is a very nice spell. Does seem more Enchantment than Divination, though.

Dondasch
2015-09-13, 05:50 PM
So that leaves... what, HP and BAB? And passive feats, I guess.

Sure, it's [mind-affecting], SR: yes, and Will negates (with a new save each round), but that's more-or-less save or lose available at 1st level. Heighten Spell can keep it relevant throughout your career. And Mesmerists are both good at debuffing Will saves and can partially punch through mind-affecting immunity.

Darth Ultron
2015-09-13, 06:01 PM
Looks very broken to me. A low level spell that takes away a lot. Though effect wise it is no worse then Hold Person. Except it oddly looks like it wipes memorized spells from memory. But it is mind effecting, allows a save and has spell resistance. So, it will effect mostly weak targets.

I'd never allow this spell in my game though, it is just too poorly written.

Thanatosia
2015-09-13, 06:35 PM
Except it oddly looks like it wipes memorized spells from memory.
I don't play PF, so maybe there's some subtleties i'm missing, but it seems really weird to assume that you get your spells known and everything else back when the effect ends, but not your prepared spells. Seems to require some inconsistant logic to not return your spells prepared with everything else since spells prepared is listed with everything else that does presumably return.

I guess you could argue it removes everything permenately and ending the effect simply re-allows you the ability to learn new abilities skills and spells rather then being shut down forever, but that seems ludicrously overpowered and almost certainly against the effect's intent.

Alex12
2015-09-13, 07:01 PM
I don't play PF, so maybe there's some subtleties i'm missing, but it seems really weird to assume that you get your spells known and everything else back when the effect ends, but not your prepared spells. Seems to require some inconsistant logic to not return your spells prepared with everything else since spells prepared is listed with everything else that does presumably return.

I guess you could argue it removes everything permenately and ending the effect simply re-allows you the ability to learn new abilities skills and spells rather then being shut down forever, but that seems ludicrously overpowered and almost certainly against the effect's intent.

I think given the description that it blocks access to procedural memory, it's reasonable to assume you don't actually lose them so much as the knowledge of how to use them is sealed away. The spells are still there, you just can't access them for a while.

Psyren
2015-09-13, 11:20 PM
3. The target loses spells prepared. If I'm not mistaken, this means they have to reprepare spells.

I'd say no to this one, because the spell has a duration, and a will save "ends this effect." If the effect is gone, so is everything it did, ergo you would get all your (unused) spells and abilities back.

Vhaidara
2015-09-14, 05:48 AM
Yeah, that was more "how far can we misconstrue RAW?".

Also, bow long do you guys think before this gets eratta nerfed? I'm seriously considering making a character with spell focus (divination) to abuse this.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 05:55 AM
Yeah, that was more "how far can we misconstrue RAW?".

Also, bow long do you guys think before this gets eratta nerfed? I'm seriously considering making a character with spell focus (divination) to abuse this.

Go for it in some play-by-post, that way if there's errata you're lest stuck to it?

And still work on your other Divination, to really get the miles out of that feat choice.

Kurald Galain
2015-09-14, 06:00 AM

I think it's a very good spell, but I'm not sure if it's nerf-worthy.

For most classes this is a 2nd level spell, and 2nd level also has e.g. Hideous Laughter and Cacophonous Call to take a single target out of combat. For Mesmy it is level one, which is indeed very powerful, but level one also gives us e.g. Color Spray, Sleep, and even Command ("Flee" can take a creature out of combat for two rounds, and make it provoke a bunch of AoOs to boot).

Because yes, save-or-suck spells are nasty even at low level.