PDA

View Full Version : Paralyzing Dragons (and other things)

Yogibear41
2015-09-13, 07:07 PM
Is there a way to remove a Dragon's (or other creatures such as plants/constructs) innate immunity to being Paralyzed? More concerned with dragon's than the other types, but might as well ask about all of them while I am here :smallsmile:

Nifft
2015-09-13, 07:11 PM
It's far easier to remove a dragon's Dexterity than its immunity.

There are paralysis work-arounds, like Dominate Monster + telling it to stand still, or turning it to stone.

elonin
2015-09-13, 07:51 PM
This reminds me of something I've run across in a game about an ability to bypass fire immunity with some better type of fire damage.

Darrin
2015-09-13, 07:58 PM
The trait removal spell (Serpent Kingdoms) can do this, but you have to get through their SR and hope they blow the Fort save. You're better off with the typical De-Dragonizer: maximized shivering touch (Frostburn).

Cirrylius
2015-09-13, 09:09 PM
This reminds me of something I've run across in a game about an ability to bypass fire immunity with some better type of fire damage.

Well there's certainly precedent for it- there's a part of the Elemental Plane of Fire that the elementals shuffle hurriedly away from it so they won't CATCH FIRE.

DrMotives
2015-09-13, 09:20 PM
Well there's certainly precedent for it- there's a part of the Elemental Plane of Fire that the elementals shuffle hurriedly away from it so they won't CATCH FIRE.

Yeah, that part's kind of a tourist magnet for Prime berks with names like Crazy Dave & Dan T., looking through their pyro-botanical field journals for the right kind of peppers to make hot sauce that will melt through a glass bottle.

Jack_Simth
2015-09-13, 09:33 PM
Yeah, that part's kind of a tourist magnet for Prime berks with names like Crazy Dave & Dan T., looking through their pyro-botanical field journals for the right kind of peppers to make hot sauce that will melt through a glass bottle.
... good thing for them D&D has tougher things than glass to store it in.

Afgncaap5
2015-09-13, 09:41 PM
... good thing for them D&D has tougher things than glass to store it in.

"Well, we had to wade through the Primal Pyre of Elemental Fire, locate the Sun that Scathes All, enter the flamejungles that barely survive in its radiance and agree to duel all the suitors of the Dryad of Verdant Flames, but we FINALLY have a chili pepper that'll melt Joe's force-wall bottle."

legomaster00156
2015-09-13, 09:45 PM
"Well, we had to wade through the Primal Pyre of Elemental Fire, locate the Sun that Scathes All, enter the flamejungles that barely survive in its radiance and agree to duel all the suitors of the Dryad of Verdant Flames, but we FINALLY have a chili pepper that'll melt Joe's force-wall bottle."
I would totally run this campaign.

Afgncaap5
2015-09-13, 10:00 PM
I would totally run this campaign.

"The Dryad of Verdant Flame tasted it... she said that the heat was good, almost unimaginably good for mortal crafters, but we'd totally neglected the flavor of the pepper itself. She says if you can't taste the fruit, you've forgotten the greatest secret of flame, the secret that was inside us all along. ...also, she says we have to fight each other now that we're apparently both suitors after winning the previous fight? Best of luck."

Yogibear41
2015-09-13, 10:39 PM
It's far easier to remove a dragon's Dexterity than its immunity.

There are paralysis work-arounds, like Dominate Monster + telling it to stand still, or turning it to stone.

Let me rephrase the question then.

I have a LE Paladin Lich who's main attack form is an at will ability that causes permanent Paralysis. How do I not die to dragons.

Mr.Moron
2015-09-13, 10:45 PM

I have a LE Paladin Lich who's main attack form is an at will ability that causes permanent Paralysis. How do I not die to dragons.

Any number of ways, really. It's just that "not die to dragons" or put another way "stand a chance in a fight with a dragon" is rather different and easier bar to pass than "how do I make dragons trivial to defeat with one specific at-will ability to which they are normally immune", which seems to be truer to the thrust of what we're getting at here.

Nifft
2015-09-13, 10:48 PM

I would have expected the main attack form of a Lich to be spellcasting.

In most games, Liches aren't primarily melee threats.

Yogibear41
2015-09-13, 11:20 PM
I would have expected the main attack form of a Lich to be spellcasting.

In most games, Liches aren't primarily melee threats.

I have an 18 strength, a +1 longsword, and a BAB high enough to make two attacks. I wouldn't exactly call myself a Melee Threat ha ha. Survived so far by relying on high hit points, high saves, and a hit AC, while I poke things to death ha ha. Also diplomacy, lots of Diplomacy ha ha.

Yogibear41
2015-09-13, 11:28 PM
Any number of ways, really. It's just that "not die to dragons" or put another way "stand a chance in a fight with a dragon" is rather different and easier bar to pass than "how do I make dragons trivial to defeat with one specific at-will ability to which they are normally immune", which seems to be truer to the thrust of what we're getting at here.

Also Yes to this.

Psyren
2015-09-14, 12:48 AM
I have an 18 strength, a +1 longsword, and a BAB high enough to make two attacks. I wouldn't exactly call myself a Melee Threat ha ha. Survived so far by relying on high hit points, high saves, and a hit AC, while I poke things to death ha ha. Also diplomacy, lots of Diplomacy ha ha.

I think what they're getting at is, kill the dragon with magic and forget about the sword. Or wave it like a baton while you use your magic if you like.

Similarly, "how do I not die to dragons" is also answered with "magic." You're a lich, you must have some.

Yogibear41
2015-09-14, 12:54 AM
I think what they're getting at is, kill the dragon with magic and forget about the sword. Or wave it like a baton while you use your magic if you like.

Similarly, "how do I not die to dragons" is also answered with "magic." You're a lich, you must have some.

I have 1st level spells, ha ha. Best Lich ever.

Psyren
2015-09-14, 01:14 AM
I have 1st level spells, ha ha. Best Lich ever.

In that case, ah... you may want to spell your build out so folks can help you fight dragons appropriately.

Yogibear41
2015-09-14, 01:32 AM
In that case, ah... you may want to spell your build out so folks can help you fight dragons appropriately.

Well I mean to be honest, I have no interest in just going around "hunting" dragons. My primary concern with this character is actually fighting against other people. However, one of the things I do want to do with him eventually is looking into hunting down a local dragon or two and reanimate them as zombies. The main reason I was curious about the question was I am thinking of taking ability focus: paralysis and the improved paralysis feats to boost my Save DC into the roof, and I am really just looking for a way to not be useless when I occasionally go up against something that those don't work against.

I'm currently a Paladin 4/Bone Knight 3/Lich 1

I'm using a homebrew 2 level lich class from Min-max Boards that doesn't give a LA. My casting stat is Charisma thanks to Lost Tradition, and essentially all of my feats were to boost my caster level enough so I could qualify for Lich As soon as Possible.

The way I have my levels set up the Lich Class will delay my spellcasting a few levels, but it will catch back up eventually, because the way the class is designed. So I won't get 2nd level spells til level 11 and then 3rd level spells at level 12 and from there on I am back on track. Just losing the single caster level from Bone Knight.

Vaz
2015-09-14, 04:07 AM
Scroll of Teleport

elonin
2015-09-14, 04:15 AM
You might want to post the details of this lich class.