PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can This Concept be Saved? Dwarven Coastal Ranger, Trident and Helm

Amphetryon
2015-09-13, 09:22 PM
Player has a particular image in mind, loosely cobbled together from romantic ideas about Dwarves, Vikings, and how a seafaring Dwarven culture might fight. Player thinks the following are not negotiable in a 20 point-buy Pathfinder-only game, with the possible thought of running a PFS Character along these lines as well:

Dwarf with the Saltbeard ART, to represent the 'right' culture
Ranger, with only 'no Wildshape' as an indication for ACF preference
Fights with a Trident, primarily, but. . .
Wears a Boulder Helmet and has the Hard-Headed Feat chain (oddly appropriate, perhaps)

Is this set of restrictions too much a hindrance for a viable concept?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-09-13, 09:53 PM
Well the Boulder helmet is a light weapon and the trident is a one-handed one, so he could go TWF without much trouble (picking double slice is a must though) so yeah I don't see any problem with this concept, though I'd personally go with Slayer as they better combat-wise and they also get a decent amount of bonus feats.

grarrrg
2015-09-13, 10:21 PM
Seems workable enough, none of those are really all that restrictive.
The only oddity is this:

[LIST] Ranger, with only 'no Wildshape' as an indication for ACF preference

Rangers don't generally have access to much of any "wildshaping". There's maybe only, like, two archetypes that do such anyway.

Two-Weapon Fighting is good on a Ranger, and he can go "all in STR" and take the TWF feats as his bonuses.

The only thing I'd possibly change is replace the Trident with a 2-hander that has Reach (just re-flavor a different spear-type weapon). It would kind of kill the TWF idea, but threatening Reach AND adjacent is quite useful.

Geddy2112
2015-09-15, 04:46 PM
Seconding all of the above advice, although slayers don't get spells and bonus feats. They do excel in frontline combat-either works, it just depends on what you are into.

Dwarves have good stats for ranger-make sure your wis is at least 14 to cast all of your spells, but no more. Since you can use bonus feats to get TWF without needing prereq's and wear medium armor, no more than a 14 in dex. A 12-14 in con since fort saves are good and d10 hit dice. 10 is fine for intelligence, you can even dump it if you don't mind 4-5 skill points. Throw charisma down a well so far Lassie can't find it. Set strength as high as possible.
I would go 18, 13, 14, 10, 14, 5. Season to taste.

For feats, you probably want power attack, and steel soul is a great dwarven racial feat. Obviously the hard headed tree. Maybe improved bull rush if you want synergy with the helment.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-09-15, 07:01 PM
The only thing I'd possibly change is replace the Trident with a 2-hander that has Reach (just re-flavor a different spear-type weapon). It would kind of kill the TWF idea, but threatening Reach AND adjacent is quite useful.
Not really-- TWF only cares about the weight of your off-hand weapon. A Boulder Helmet actually looks like a good choice for an off-hand weapon (except for being Exotic)-- you can get all the usual benefits of a two-handed weapon, and still get the extra attacks.

I second the Slayer idea, though-- you can still get Dex-free TWF through the Ranger Combat Style Talent, and you get a nice bit of sneak attack to go with your extra attack(s). You even get medium armor for your troubles.

Amphetryon
2015-09-15, 08:06 PM
Not really-- TWF only cares about the weight of your off-hand weapon. A Boulder Helmet actually looks like a good choice for an off-hand weapon (except for being Exotic)-- you can get all the usual benefits of a two-handed weapon, and still get the extra attacks.

I second the Slayer idea, though-- you can still get Dex-free TWF through the Ranger Combat Style Talent, and you get a nice bit of sneak attack to go with your extra attack(s). You even get medium armor for your troubles.

I believe I saw an argument saying it counts as a Martial weapon for Dwarves; I may be wrong, or the ART taken may change that, I'll grant.

Sounds like using the THF or Throwing styles are not good choices for this concept?

grarrrg
2015-09-15, 08:50 PM

Oh, I'm well aware that the Helm is Light and you'd accrue no extra penalties.
The problem is that to TWF with a Reach Weapon and the Helm you'd need to have 2 opponents at the same time, one within reach of each weapon.
Against a single opponent you'd only get 1 attack (or need to acquire some means to "short-haft" the Reach weapon, or LUNGE with the Helm).