PDA

View Full Version : Why do eberron drow have light sensitivity?

Deadkitten
2015-09-13, 09:30 PM
Exactly what the thread title says?
Is there a flurr reason they keep it?

Afgncaap5
2015-09-13, 09:45 PM
I don't know that this has ever been addressed as such... though there *are* large groups of Drow who still live underground in cavernous societies that are constantly under siege from Khyber's denizens. They're still primarily "subterranean" in that sense, so an aversion to Sunlight isn't "wrong", per se.

Don't the orcs also have light sensitivity in Eberron? I'm not close to my books tonight and can't really check. Why would they (the drow or orcs) lose it, do you think?

atemu1234
2015-09-13, 10:13 PM
I don't know that this has ever been addressed as such... though there *are* large groups of Drow who still live underground in cavernous societies that are constantly under siege from Khyber's denizens. They're still primarily "subterranean" in that sense, so an aversion to Sunlight isn't "wrong", per se.

Don't the orcs also have light sensitivity in Eberron? I'm not close to my books tonight and can't really check. Why would they (the drow or orcs) lose it, do you think?

Operating in sunlight, one would think. (If one was Lamarck, of course)

They could be nocturnal.

LudicSavant
2015-09-13, 10:35 PM
Don't the orcs also have light sensitivity in Eberron? I'm not close to my books tonight and can't really check.

Yes. Also note that they have gear that helps them deal with light sensitivity. Oh, and cool sun hats.

Nifft
2015-09-13, 10:39 PM
"They mostly come at night. Mostly."

(Seriously, though, weren't they supposed to be nocturnal for some reason? Or was that just the DM's invention?)

Psyren
2015-09-14, 12:31 AM
Per Races of Eberron, the Drow stayed on Xen'drik while their cousins fled to Aerenal eons ago. In order to survive, most of them live underground because the jungles on the surface of Xen'drik are so hostile. Given that they live beneath the surface of an earth that is itself covered by a dense jungle canopy, this is likely the source of their light sensitivity/darkvision today.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 11:47 AM
Gameplay and Story Segregation (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation). That's why.

Nerd-o-rama
2015-09-14, 12:00 PM
Drow live underground or under a dense jungle canopy. Orcs live in swamps with presumably thick foliage. Or they're just nocturnal.

Ravian
2015-09-14, 12:04 PM
I think both orcs and drow are nocturnal. Drow especially were actually modified by Giants while in slavery to act primarily as slave hunters, which would be primarily expected to operate in dark environs.

Of course I would think it wouldn't be a big enough deal that one couldn't just alter it.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 12:05 PM
Drow live underground or under a dense jungle canopy. Orcs live in swamps with presumably thick foliage. Or they're just nocturnal.

They prefer [adult swim] to trashy daytime television.

That, or night-time is considerably cooler in summertime, and it gets uncomfortably sweaty in swamps and jungles.