PDA

View Full Version : EDITED Homebrewed Monster concept: The Penumbra

1Forge
2015-09-13, 10:59 PM
Revised stats for the concept below still not complete.

The Penumbra
HP:15
AC:17
Str:18 Dex:25 Con:15 Int:10 Wis:11 Cha:12
Immune to: slashing, bludgeoning, piecing, cold, lighting, poison, acid, and thunder.
Vulnerable to: Necrotic and radiant.
Status immunities: Sleep, charmed, poisoned
Special abilities: The penumbra can use its entire turn to avoid up to 3 magic missiles, and may make a dexterity saving throw to destroy a single missile each turn with loose items(DC: 20.)
DC=?? XP=??
Also as a bonus action the penumbra can make a dark stained glass weapon of its choice longsword that breaks after one use.
EDIT:I should probobly note that the penumbra is a being made of shadow not anything corporeal, that is why it has ridiculous dex and can dodge magic missiles. Also if they are caught in sunlight they find inner peace or whatever and die. Any other means of killing them is not permanent without bathing them in holy water

The penumbra can blink to any dim light within 30 ft of it instead of moving, it does not need to see the shade.

Nightmare: The penumbra can attempt to possess someone sleeping that is in dim to dark lighting, the sleeping creature must success a dc 13 will save or become temporarily possessed. The penumbra has half speed while possessing a creature and cannot blink or attempt to dodge ranged attacks. (ac drops to 12)

Regwon
2015-09-14, 03:46 AM
I'd suggest that you look through the 5ed Monster Manual and the Dungeon Masters Guide for help on making and balancing monsters, since there are a few things you've missed.

Anything with a Con of 0 dies, so you should probably increase that to Con 1. Constitution is not how substantial a creature is, but how much endurance it has. Even an Air Elemental, a creature literally made out of air, has Con 14. You need to include a proficiency bonus, since that will determine what attack bonus it uses and what it spell save DCs are, when you add them. You also need to include how it moves and what it's senses are. You can't decide it's challenge rating until you decide how it can attack. Currently, as it can't move or attack, it has CR 0.

There are a couple of stylistic things. Firstly, the mechanic for avoiding magic missiles is unnecessarily complex. At what point does it decide to use its whole turn to doge them, on its own turn, or when the spell is cast? Why DC 29 for the Dex save? Either just let it be able to cast shield or have it be able to use its reaction to avoid one of two. Secondly, damage immunities to physical damage usually have a clause that lets you bypass them, non-magical weapons for example. This serves two purposes, firstly usually letting at least some of the characters be able to deal with the creature the first time they encounter them, and secondly giving the players options to plan how to deal with them in the future.

As your monster currently is, there is very little that can actually harm this at levels 1-4. Any actual physical melee characters can literally do nothing against it. In most parties there will probably one be one or two character that can deal any damage to the creature at all. I'd be very cautious with this, since being completely useless in a fight is no fun at all, and your players wont like it. If you want to make it hard to kill, but still an enjoyable fight, just give it resistance to most damage and more HP and leave it at that.

I'd suggest you have a look at the Shadow on page 269 of the MM for a similar monster.

Pyon
2015-09-14, 06:39 AM
Please don't take offense to this but the concept seems stupid. With 20 AC and 5 HP, as a fighter if I get a crit first turn it's done with. Fun fight guys! If I don't get a crit, it won't be fun at all. Turn down it's dex, and rethink the mechanics.

PoeticDwarf
2015-09-14, 07:23 AM
The monster isn't fun this way, without attacks, with a stat of 30 but just 5hp (for its hp it has to be large at least), and dodging magic missles isn't fun because it is just one sort of attack, nothing special.

1Forge
2015-09-14, 08:13 AM
I see some of your points but the original idea I had wasn't for this to be an encounter as much as a plot device. Its supposed to "hound" the party at night while being incredibly difficult to hit. Also its immune to physical damage because it is only a shadow,But fighters and other non magical characters can use fire to harm it. The dex is nuts because its supposed to be nightmarishly fast (which is part of the reason I said I could dodge magic missile.

You all bring up a good point though about its hp, my math was 10+-5=5 I wanted something easy to dispel (like a shadow is easily cast away by light) but would come back constantly every night untill they can find its source.

And finally what would you suggest? I see dislike but what would make it better for this purpose?

1Forge
2015-09-14, 08:24 AM
I'd suggest that you look through the 5ed Monster Manual and the Dungeon Masters Guide for help on making and balancing monsters, since there are a few things you've missed.

Anything with a Con of 0 dies, so you should probably increase that to Con 1. Constitution is not how substantial a creature is, but how much endurance it has. Even an Air Elemental, a creature literally made out of air, has Con 14. You need to include a proficiency bonus, since that will determine what attack bonus it uses and what it spell save DCs are, when you add them. You also need to include how it moves and what it's senses are. You can't decide it's challenge rating until you decide how it can attack. Currently, as it can't move or attack, it has CR 0.

There are a couple of stylistic things. Firstly, the mechanic for avoiding magic missiles is unnecessarily complex. At what point does it decide to use its whole turn to doge them, on its own turn, or when the spell is cast? Why DC 29 for the Dex save? Either just let it be able to cast shield or have it be able to use its reaction to avoid one of two. Secondly, damage immunities to physical damage usually have a clause that lets you bypass them, non-magical weapons for example. This serves two purposes, firstly usually letting at least some of the characters be able to deal with the creature the first time they encounter them, and secondly giving the players options to plan how to deal with them in the future.

As your monster currently is, there is very little that can actually harm this at levels 1-4. Any actual physical melee characters can literally do nothing against it. In most parties there will probably one be one or two character that can deal any damage to the creature at all. I'd be very cautious with this, since being completely useless in a fight is no fun at all, and your players wont like it. If you want to make it hard to kill, but still an enjoyable fight, just give it resistance to most damage and more HP and leave it at that.

I'd suggest you have a look at the Shadow on page 269 of the MM for a similar monster.

I dont own a mm but thanks for the advice.
Characters can use torches to ward it off,though I may allow all magical weapons.
The CON has been removed till I find a better # and same with the HP.
The penumbra cant use magic, but you are right that the dex save is crap...sorry I drew this up while working on other things.

Inevitability
2015-09-14, 03:05 PM
I suggest asking yourself: 'will this make a fun encounter?' If you want to let this thing keep its bizarre defensive abilities yet still remain an appropriate challenge, you'll have to curb its offensive powers to the point where if it scratches a PC it will already be over-performing in that area.

1Forge
2015-09-14, 05:15 PM
I suggest asking yourself: 'will this make a fun encounter?' If you want to let this thing keep its bizarre defensive abilities yet still remain an appropriate challenge, you'll have to curb its offensive powers to the point where if it scratches a PC it will already be over-performing in that area.

Ok I get it a lot of people don't like the difficulty to hit (or the DEX in general) nor the low health, but i still have no counter suggestions for anything besides "rethink it or toss it" I'm fine with the criticism i knew it was flawed but what stats would better suit it? The goal was a nighmarishly fast shadow stalker wielding a glass long sword, one that could not be killed by conventional means and that encouraged some critical thinking from my players. The stats were just ideas off the top of my head in class. What stats would you use? (and I mean that, this isn't supposed to be sarcastic)

FightStyles
2015-09-15, 10:02 AM
Well, the name is confusing because that is a lighter than dark shadow. A.K.A. I would consider it more of a day shadow almost. It at the very least requires light to survive. So I would twist it as a shadow seeking dim light. I would then fluff it as it is haunting the party/ villagers because they are the source of food (dim light) for it and it is currently in a weak state of being. The village might even have a nightly ritual setting up a circle of torches for the Penumbra to devour the light radiating from them. However, the Penumbra has a forgotten past and only the elder of the village can remember that the Penumbra use to be the protector of the city from the outlining dark shadows (use the shadow's MM stats). I would have the city plauged with the occasional dark shadow rampage to trick them into thinking all of the shadows are bad including the Penumbra.

As far as the Penumbra's stats... Here you are.

The Penumbra
AC: 15
HP: 20
Speed: 60ft
------------------------------------------
Str: 6 (-2)
Dex: 20 (+5)
Con: 2 (-4)
Int: 6 (-2)
Wis: 14 (+2)
Cha: 8 (-1)
Skills Stealth +7 (+10 in dim light)
Vulnerable: Fire
Resistance: acid, cold, lightning, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing form nonmagical weapons
Immunities: Poison, radiant
Senses: Darkvision 60ft
CR: 4
--------------------------------------
Amorphous. - from MM shadow
Shadow Stealth. - from MM shadow
Ethereal Sight. - from MM ghost
Light absorption. While the Penumbra is in dim light, it regains 2hp at the start of it's turn.
-------------------------------------------
Actions:
Illuminating Touch. Melee weapon attack: +6 to hit, reach 5ft., one target. Hit: 18 (4d6+4) radiant damage.

Etherealness. - from MM ghost

Light Burst. When the Penumbra has more than 1/2hp, it can expell a burst of Blinding light. Each creature within 30 feet of it must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, taking the Penumbra's HP in radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Then, the Penumbra drops to 1hp.

This is a unique monster with powerful abilities that are usually used to fight off the intruding shadows. However, it is not CR 25 or something like you had it before while it can still be invincible being in the ethereal border. This also creates a plot hook as they try to figure out a way to defeat the Penumbra, only to find out that it was the only thing protecting the city once it's too late.

1Forge
2015-09-15, 10:28 AM
Well, the name is confusing because that is a lighter than dark shadow. A.K.A. I would consider it more of a day shadow almost. It at the very least requires light to survive. So I would twist it as a shadow seeking dim light. I would then fluff it as it is haunting the party/ villagers because they are the source of food (dim light) for it and it is currently in a weak state of being. The village might even have a nightly ritual setting up a circle of torches for the Penumbra to devour the light radiating from them. However, the Penumbra has a forgotten past and only the elder of the village can remember that the Penumbra use to be the protector of the city from the outlining dark shadows (use the shadow's MM stats). I would have the city plauged with the occasional dark shadow rampage to trick them into thinking all of the shadows are bad including the Penumbra.

As far as the Penumbra's stats... Here you are.

The Penumbra
AC: 15
HP: 20
Speed: 60ft
Str: 6 (-2)
Dex: 20 (+5)
Con: 2 (-4)
Int: 6 (-2)
Wis: 14 (+2)
Cha: 8 (-1)
Skills Stealth +7 (+10 in dim light)
Vulnerable: Fire
Resistance: acid, cold, lightning, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing form nonmagical weapons
Immunities: Poison, radiant
Senses: Darkvision 60ft
CR: 4
--------------------------------------
Amorphous. - from MM shadow
Shadow Stealth. - from MM shadow
Ethereal Sight. - from MM ghost
Light absorption. While the Penumbra is in dim light, it regains 2hp at the start of it's turn.
-------------------------------------------
Actions:
Illuminating Touch. Melee weapon attack: +6 to hit, reach 5ft., one target. Hit: 18 (4d6+4) radiant damage.

Etherealness. - from MM ghost

Light Burst. When the Penumbra has more than 1/2hp, it can expell a burst of Blinding light. Each creature within 30 feet of it must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, taking the Penumbra's HP in radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Then, the Penumbra drops to 1hp.

This is a unique monster with powerful abilities that are usually used to fight off the intruding shadows. However, it is not CR 25 or something like you had it before while it can still be invincible being in the ethereal border. This also creates a plot hook as they try to figure out a way to defeat the Penumbra, only to find out that it was the only thing protecting the city once it's too late.

Interesting concept in not sure about some of the fluff but I might use it. Great concept idea with a good lore.

1Forge
2015-09-15, 11:17 AM
I should probobly explain the lore...
there is a soldier who has no left forearm. His father bound 3 spirits of shadow and nightmare. Creatures that could attack as quick as a thought. Something only lvl 3 adventurers could handel(thus why guards dont just try to torch em) they used to be benevolent but now are mad, they travel to targets seemingly randomly (how and why is a bit fuzzy right now) and assassinate the.

I'm editing the stats now but I'm still giving them unnatural speed, I figure 20 is the maximum a human could accomplish and I dont feel these are bound by that. But it will be easier to hit after I change it since there will be 3 at varying times.