PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Ability score minimum

KozanShoku
2015-09-14, 01:38 AM
Okay so lets say im rolling 3d6 straight down for a character and I want to play a race the gives -4 or so to a stat and when rolling straight down that score is a 3 or 4 im wondering if there is a minimum that a score can be or if i would have to play a different race ?

GilesTheCleric
2015-09-14, 01:46 AM
3.5 is different to AD&D; there are no minimum requirements for races or base classes. However, there's so few races with -4 to a stat -- you must be looking very hard to find one. Mongrelfolk, some Dwarf subraces, anthro animals, and kobolds are the only ones I see with a quick browse.

KozanShoku
2015-09-14, 01:53 AM
3.5 is different to AD&D; there are no minimum requirements for races or base classes. However, there's so few races with -4 to a stat -- you must be looking very hard to find one. Mongrelfolk, some Dwarf subraces, anthro animals, and kobolds are the only ones I see with a quick browse.

well it was a random number one of the creatures i love to play are petals who get a -8 to strength i was wondering if the characters strength score was 8 to begin with would the score go to 0 or 1 so the character wouldn't out right die on creation

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-14, 02:26 AM
Minimum is 1 for anything but intelligence. Intelligence minimum is 3. Int 1 & 2 are animal intelligence and unsuitable for PC's.

Troacctid
2015-09-14, 03:41 AM
There's a special rule that applies when using randomly-rolled stats for monstrous PCs. You use a chart found on page 173 of the Dungeon Master's Guide to determine your ability score. In the case of a Petal who rolls an 8 in Strength, you would end up with a score of 2.

OldTrees1
2015-09-14, 09:19 AM
There's a special rule that applies when using randomly-rolled stats for monstrous PCs. You use a chart found on page 173 of the Dungeon Master's Guide to determine your ability score. In the case of a Petal who rolls an 8 in Strength, you would end up with a score of 2.
Those tables are weird. For the most part they do nothing(other than repeat the minimums) but in some cases they give a free +1-2 to the ability score.

I wonder if this would apply to point buy:
If you buy an 8(0 points) in and you have a -8 racial modifier, do you get a 2(assuming this is not Int)?