PDA

View Full Version : digital 5e: Now my mom is playing D&D and FROTHING FURIOUS RAGE

Mr. C
2015-09-14, 03:57 AM
So a player introduced me to the single most awesome thing I've ever encountered in the universe of dungeons and dragons. A completely digital fifth edition character sheet, with a step by step and extremely editable character creator.

Fastest purchase I have ever made when it came to buying something for my phone.. but wait, it gets better!

I realize that the utility of this thing isn't for me... it's best utilized for new players because it takes all the tedium and complexity and frustration out of character building and lets them jump immediately into the action with an easily readable and customizable format. To test this hypothesis of mine I invited my mom, my pushing sixty year old mom who had never played D&D in her life and didn't even know what the game entailed... and my other friend, Val, a twenty four year old girl who not only didn't know how the game was played but had the *completely wrong idea* as to what it was about. She actually scowled at me when I told her we were going to play D&D.

I get the app on their phones and within minutes rather than hours two new fighters had joined the fray and these two women who had neither played D&D in the past nor had any interest in doing so were demanding to play in our next play session. My horse owning, garden loving, "Why don't you go outside, it's a beautiful day?" mother asked me if they made any computer games for D&D. Yeah. And the gateway had been the Fifth Edition Character Sheet app found on on the Play Store and Apple Store. Except... no... THEY TOOK IT OFF THE PLAY STORE. *RAGE* This tool which made the game UNIVERSALLY easier to introduce people to... was taken down from the google store and who knows how long it'll be on the apple store.

But that's not the purpose of this post. If Hasbro felt their intellectual property rights were being violated then they're well within their rights to do something about it. No argument there. However, this app, this piddily little app changed the complete landscape for me and mine concerning D&D.

SO, D&D guys... Why don't YOU make a 5th Edition Character Sheet App? Sell it. I bought mine and paid for theirs. Three bucks. It was just that useful. It made the game so much more enjoyable and its loss so painfully felt that I felt compelled to speak up about it.

Full Disclosure: I have *zero* connection with the guy that made the original app outside of him producing an awesome product and me and everyone else I know that plays D&D snapping it up.

Regitnui
2015-09-14, 04:02 AM
Was that the "Fifth Edition Character Sheet" app? The one with the green D20 logo? I find it incredibly useful, and re-downloaded it (My phone is getting old :smallsigh:) last week. I still use it to put together important NPCs.

Mr. C
2015-09-14, 04:29 AM
If you're using Android you'll notice it's gone now.

And yes, the thing was just straight up awesome.

Regitnui
2015-09-14, 05:06 AM
Huh. Guess that means I'm putting it on my memory card for the upgrade...

Khaelo
2015-09-14, 09:11 PM
For what it's worth, I made a similar web app (as an exercise in user experience design) and had a similar experience. The people who tested it for me knew nothing about D&D, but they liked their new characters and were interested in playing. Unfortunately, my sample size is less than a dozen. Due to the copyright issue the app had to be private.

It took six months, more or less, to make the app, and that was one person learning PHP along the way. A character creator doesn't have to be a gigantic, complex project. All mine did was produce character sheets, and that was enough to hook people. WotC is really missing an opportunity here. :smallfrown:

Sigreid
2015-09-14, 11:08 PM
It's probably in their agreement with fantasy grounds that they aren't allowed to give licenses to other programmers. No doubt FG payed a pretty penny to be the exclusive electronic medium for the game.

coredump
2015-09-15, 08:31 AM
It's probably in their agreement with fantasy grounds that they aren't allowed to give licenses to other programmers. No doubt FG payed a pretty penny to be the exclusive electronic medium for the game.

Fantasy Grounds does not have an exclusive license. They are just the only ones currently.

Assuming its the one with the green D20, its still on the apple store. I have seen folks using it at my FLGS, but its not really for me. Its so easy to make a PC in 5E I don't really need it, and when playing I like to have all the information available without needed to keep switching screens.

But lots of folks like it, so cool for them.

Aurthur
2015-09-15, 04:34 PM
Unfortunately, WotC is far more concerned about protecting their IP than they are in allowing a robust online community of open sourced tools. This isn't new...the only difference is that now we're far more limited than we were in the old Insider days.

So, basically, any character creator out there that you find will either be one of two things:

Generalized to the point of almost being arcane
Useful but in danger of disappearing entirely when it becomes popular enough to show up on search engines (WotC will issue C&Ds)

Personally, I'm not a fan of the transaction laden Fantasy Grounds model or their clunky UI, either. Ah, well.