PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Humor Dressed for the Part: Clothing (and Appearance) as Cliché

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 08:06 AM
Fantasy, like any other genre, has some stereotypes of outfit choice and appearance. Seeing as crowdsourcing is one of the most effective things around to my knowledge, I'm askin' the Playground about this kind of thing.

So, in the most wonderful genre of fantasy, what pieces of clothing, combination of clothes, and/or whole outfits show up all the time on certain character types? Likewise, are there certain roles you have to look a certain way to be thrust into?

I'll start us off with a few.

1. Barbarians do not wear pants. This is why Barsoom, the barbarian homeworld, has no pants on it at all.
2. Princesses who aren't of the warrior bent seem to always wear dresses down to at least their ankles.
3. Thieves wear cloaks when thiefin'.
4. Executioners wear hoods, but no shirt. They're also always strapping, and sometimes just plain jacked. Also, always male for some reason.

legomaster00156
2015-09-14, 08:22 AM
5. Kings wear gilded armor into battle.
6. Chainmail bikini for female warriors.
7. Boobplate for female warriors.

Broken Crown
2015-09-14, 08:25 AM
1. Barbarians do not wear pants. This is why Barsoom, the barbarian homeworld, has no pants on it at all.
2. Princesses who aren't of the warrior bent seem to always wear dresses down to at least their ankles.

...when they're dressed at all. (See Barsoom, above.)

4. Executioners wear hoods, but no shirt. They're also always strapping, and sometimes just plain jacked. Also, always male for some reason.

"Always male" goes with the "no shirt." Executions are family entertainment, for goodness' sake!

8. Wizards wear academic gowns, because, well, they're academics. They favour pointy hats over mortarboards, though, because mortarboards are silly.

9. Ninjas disguise themselves as stagehands, in case they need to assassinate someone in a theatre. (Did you know – John Wilkes Booth was a ninja!) Why they frequently wear stagehands' outfits outside the theatre is one of those mysterious ninja secrets.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 08:31 AM
5. Kings wear gilded armor into battle.

http://i.imgur.com/9fGYeCO.png
Even when they're just an evil knight with a king theme.

6. Chainmail bikini for female warriors.
7. Boobplate for female warriors.

Yes. It's almost like all the women are trying to get shot in the heart for some reason.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-14, 11:51 AM
So, my avatar is both a female warrior and a monarch, yet her armour isn't gilded, nor does it have sculpted breasts. Do I win a prize?

Other tropes: bards always have cloaks that include some kind of quirk, like colourful patches or lots of pockets. Clerics and paladins always work their holy symbol into their gear, though I guess that's understandable.

Sorceresses are often inexplicably stipperiffic, whereas female wizards tend to be more sensibly dressed.

Rangers wear green and/or brown. Even if they're not forest rangers.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 12:03 PM
So, my avatar is both a female warrior and a monarch, yet her armour isn't gilded, nor does it have sculpted breasts. Do I win a prize?

Sure, why not? Your prize is a jar of psychotopic spices (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0688.html). Warning: DO NOT CONSUME IN THE DESERT OR ON THE BEACH. THERE WILL BE GIANT, PHALLIC DEATH WORMS. THEY WILL EAT YOU.

Sorceresses are often inexplicably stipperiffic, whereas female wizards tend to be more sensibly dressed.

I've always imagined that male Sorcerers would do that too, but not enough art backs me up on this. Well...Fairy Tail, but half that setting is allergic to shirts anyway.

Yeah. You'd think Aquatic Rangers would dress more like...dunno, mer-people? Half-naked, shoeless, and wearing seashells for jewelry.

kieza
2015-09-14, 12:04 PM
Warlocks and necromancers wear skulls. Skull masks, skull helms, skull beltbuckles, skull kneecaps...

goto124
2015-09-14, 12:06 PM
Yeah. You'd think Aquatic Rangers would dress more like...dunno, mer-people? Half-naked, shoeless, and wearing seashells for jewelry.

What I get for googling...

http://orig02.deviantart.net/8b95/f/2012/047/c/1/power_rangers_aquatic_by_mcsaurus-d4pw7ge.jpg

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cdobie/cornwall-sea-rangers.jpg

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/articles/politics/images/ocean-ranger-2-john-weston-1980-565.jpg

Aquatic Rangers are a thing?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-14, 12:07 PM
Oh, another one. Not sure whether to put this here or in the evil wizard thread...

Evil bosses = shoulder pads. The bigger the pads, the bigger the evil!

Milodiah
2015-09-14, 12:13 PM
Oh, another one. Not sure whether to put this here or in the evil wizard thread...

Pauldronius begs to differ.

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/groups/1/3/2055/thumb_620x2000/800px-Pauldronius.png

Oneris
2015-09-14, 12:26 PM
If the Pathfinder Iconics are of any accuracy, everyone always carries all their equipment on their person at all times, like if the RE Merchant was drawn by Rob Liefeld.
https://rotgrub.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/pathfinder-iconics.jpg
http://gamershavennews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/link_stuffs_by_wakabee-d4g4a69-600x849.jpg

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 12:41 PM

Naga the Serpent from Slayers (which I haven't seen) combines these two (and a lot of these other ones), for some reason. Apparently keeps stabbing herself in the face with her shoulder spikes, too.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/710499-naga_large_3999.png

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-14, 12:44 PM
Pauldronius begs to differ.

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/groups/1/3/2055/thumb_620x2000/800px-Pauldronius.png

I'm sorry, but that is a traitor marine waiting to happen. He's even wearing Slaaneshi colours!

MrZJunior
2015-09-14, 01:03 PM
The dark, brooding anti hero wears black.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 03:16 PM
The dark, brooding anti hero wears black.

I'm unsure if that's a cliché or full-blown requirement.

I do wish they'd make anti-heroes in flavors other than emo, though.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-14, 04:44 PM
I'm unsure if that's a cliché or full-blown requirement.

I do wish they'd make anti-heroes in flavors other than emo, though.

I tried searching for anti-heroes wearing something other than black & red, and all I found were villain-protagonists...

#TVTproblems

Aetol
2015-09-14, 05:34 PM

10. If a Barbarian must wear pants, he will never wear a shirt.
11. All Monks wear long pants and no shirt.

JAL_1138
2015-09-14, 07:09 PM

Other tropes: bards always have cloaks that include some kind of quirk, like colourful patches or lots of pockets. Clerics and paladins always work their holy symbol into their gear, though I guess that's understandable.

My bards rarely wear a cloak, if by cloak you mean a heavy, hooded cape, unless they're disguised. Sometimes a jacket/coat, which is usually just a generic-but-nice one that won't look out of place when dealing with wealthy merchants or nobles, but is durable enough to adventure in. More often, when not disguised they wear colorful Landsknecht attire (puffed-and-slashed doublet, etc.) and an absolutely ridiculous hat (which the Landsknecht were also known for). If not dressed as a Landsknecht, generally something resembling a musketeer. Also with ludicrous hat.

Steampunkette
2015-09-14, 09:00 PM
Male Barbarians will have scars, oiled skin, and tons of body hair.

Female Barbarians will have perfectly waxed, oiled, and scar-free skin.

Male Spellcasters will almost always have White, Black, or Brown hair.

Male Knights and Warriors will tend to have Brown, Red, or Blonde Hair.

Female characters will be blonde or redheaded far more often than people in reality by demographic regardless of character class or story role.

Those characters who have scars will, by far, favor chest, back, and carefully placed facial scars which enhance appearance, while in reality scars are far more common on extremities due to a person defending against incoming danger, rather than letting things hit them in the face or torso.

Female characters will almost never have scars on their chest, but instead tend to favor back and shoulders.

Male characters of any social standing or morality may have disfiguring facial scarring. Female characters with disfiguring facial scars are wearing their true nature on their face as beauty is only skin deep and are, in fact, terrible people.

Female Player Characters, regardless of number of children they birthed before their TRAGIC BACKSTORY kicked in, will have no stretch marks and high seated breasts.

Female characters who have had sexual trauma as a defining background trait will either dress in the least amount of clothing possible (especially if a rogue) or completely cover their entire body at all times (especially if a rogue).

Pirates wear Stripes, Oranges, and Reds, always. Sailors wear Blue and usually in layers.

Merchants will always wear far too many layers of clothing, even if fairly poor, with the only defining difference being quality of fabric and quantity of jewels or expensive odds and ends added to the material.

Male merchants must always have facial hair.

All Bartenders must have a single defining physical characteristic, for women it'll often be a large bust size.

The leader of the local guard/militia/army will have two defining physical characteristics which may be tattoos, scars, facial hair, hairstyle, or bust size (Either big or self-esteem ruiningly tiny). They will all be fit, trim, and militaristic in style and mannerism, often acting like drill sergeants.

Mayors will be older than the party's heroes. Males will be overweight and/or balding. Women will either appear younger than they are or be Professor McGonagal in style.

Broken Crown
2015-09-14, 10:12 PM
Naga the Serpent from Slayers (which I haven't seen) combines these two (and a lot of these other ones), for some reason.

Ironically, Naga is generally a lot less evil than the more sensibly dressed heroine Lina Inverse (who notably also favours the big shoulder pad look).

Female characters will almost never have scars on their chest, but instead tend to favor back and shoulders.

... and you can always tell, because they never armour their chests.

Male characters of any social standing or morality may have disfiguring facial scarring. Female characters with disfiguring facial scars are wearing their true nature on their face as beauty is only skin deep and are, in fact, terrible people.

Queen Emeraldas (http://41.media.tumblr.com/22159fd6901de452182081f6353eeb1d/tumblr_n6b1as57dq1srnjsmo1_1280.jpg) may disagree with you about that. Her scar is as heroic as any man's! (Mind you, it's not particularly disfiguring, but it's certainly prominent.)

27? Even if they otherwise wear full armour all the time, heroes rarely wear helmets, and never wear visors. (Masks are acceptable for those who do their heroing incognito, but that's not the same thing.)

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 10:45 PM
Male Barbarians will have scars, oiled skin, and tons of body hair.

Female Barbarians will have perfectly waxed, oiled, and scar-free skin.

I usually see hairless barbarians of either gender, but I see the how that double standard exists.

Male Spellcasters will almost always have White, Black, or Brown hair.

...wow, that is weirdly frequent. There's also the BALD option, if you're evil or old, but then you probably have a goatee of malevolence.

Female characters will be blonde or redheaded far more often than people in reality by demographic regardless of character class or story role.

Which if you prefer dark haired girls, gets even more annoying. Just sayin'.

Those characters who have scars will, by far, favor chest, back, and carefully placed facial scars which enhance appearance, while in reality scars are far more common on extremities due to a person defending against incoming danger, rather than letting things hit them in the face or torso.

I know this one from experience. Huge thing on my left arm, and this little one on my knee I remember because I got the stitches on my dining room table when I got home that day.

About the only lady I can think of who isn't characterized as a bad person for having facial scars is Lin Beifong, and the story behind her facial scarring is depressing, too. She's just badass instead.

Mayors will be older than the party's heroes. Males will be overweight and/or balding. Women will either appear younger than they are or be Professor McGonagal in style.

Would it kill them to give a lady a top hat? Top hats are cool. Speaking of hats...

My bards rarely wear a cloak, if by cloak you mean a heavy, hooded cape, unless they're disguised. Sometimes a jacket/coat, which is usually just a generic-but-nice one that won't look out of place when dealing with wealthy merchants or nobles, but is durable enough to adventure in. More often, when not disguised they wear colorful Landsknecht attire (puffed-and-slashed doublet, etc.) and an absolutely ridiculous hat (which the Landsknecht were also known for). If not dressed as a Landsknecht, generally something resembling a musketeer. Also with ludicrous hat.

Half the fun of playing a Bard is the silly hat. Especially if it's a Hat of Disguise.

Ironically, Naga is generally a lot less evil than the more sensibly dressed heroine Lina Inverse (who notably also favours the big shoulder pad look).

Speaking of this kind of thing...

28? Villainesses dress skimpier and skankier than heroines.

The Fury
2015-09-14, 11:14 PM
Would it kill them to give a lady a top hat? Top hats are cool.

Yes, yes they are. Honestly why are there not more spellcasters that wear them? Kind of like part of a stage magician theme, y'know?

8. Wizards wear academic gowns, because, well, they're academics. They favour pointy hats over mortarboards, though, because mortarboards are silly.

Oh, OK. That's why... Pointy hats it is then.

goto124
2015-09-14, 11:17 PM
"28? Villainesses dress skimpier and skankier than heroines."

Side note: does not make the heroine prudish. She can even be sexy, just in a different way from the villainess. Apparentally, Evil energy helps prevent wardrobe malfunctions. Wait, is it? I've seen heroines in equally silly clothing... maybe it applies only when comparing between villainesses and heroines in the same series. Someone help me check

Does not apply to males.

There're a TV trope or two for these, I recall.

JAL_1138
2015-09-14, 11:21 PM
Half the fun of playing a Bard is the silly hat. Especially if it's a Hat of Disguise.

I agree with this post so much. :smallbiggrin:

Pex
2015-09-14, 11:50 PM
The spiritualist/priest/cleric/mystic will wear a brown robe with a hoodie and a rope belt.

The thief will fight with two daggers.

Only npc soldiers use shields unless the hero is a knight in shiny armor.

chainer1216
2015-09-15, 05:34 AM
Trench coats are universal among all archetypes and genders when they are supposed to be dark or brooding, no matter how anachronistic.

The Fury
2015-09-15, 06:54 AM
Only npc soldiers use shields unless the hero is a knight in shiny armor.

Related cliché-- helmets are for dorks. If you're wearing a helmet, it's because you're either an expendable NPC or the bumbling comic relief. A true hero(ine) has amazing hair and would not dream of covering it with such unflattering safety equipment.

legomaster00156
2015-09-15, 07:24 AM
In any sci-fi setting, the people wearing the red shirts die first.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-15, 07:50 AM
I agree with this post so much. :smallbiggrin:

Good! You should.

Side note: does not make the heroine prudish. She can even be sexy, just in a different way from the villainess.

Yep. The heroine/villainess aesthetic differentiation is the genre-equivalent to the differences between Betty and Veronica of Archie Comics, most of the time.

I've seen heroines in equally silly clothing... maybe it applies only when comparing between villainesses and heroines in the same series.

It's an story-internal point of comparison rather than any villainess being skimpier than any villainess.

Also, with male hero/villain, the hero's corresponding villain usually has more intimidating duds, or is a naked monster.

Related cliché-- helmets are for dorks. If you're wearing a helmet, it's because you're either an expendable NPC or the bumbling comic relief. A true hero(ine) has amazing hair and would not dream of covering it with such unflattering safety equipment.

Berserk was probably the only thing I've seen that made everyone wear helmets when doing things other than bicycles.

J-H
2015-09-15, 09:20 AM
You kids these days forget good old Western traditions.

Bad guys wear black cowboy hats. Good guys wear white hats.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-15, 09:49 AM
You kids these days forget good old Western traditions.

Bad guys wear black cowboy hats. Good guys wear white hats.

White hat/black hat! Takes me back, even though I'm 23.

Janus
2015-09-17, 03:54 PM
Funny thing about shirtless barbarians is that Conan explicitly wears a mail shirt in at least one of Robert E Howard's stories.

Would it kill them to give a lady a top hat?
:smallfurious: Top hats are only for gentlemen!

ThinkMinty
2015-09-17, 07:02 PM
Funny thing about shirtless barbarians is that Conan explicitly wears a mail shirt in at least one of Robert E Howard's stories.

He only got half-naked to climb things. Movie left him half-naked the whole time for the beefcakey fanservice.

I really, really hope this is sarcasm.

Sith_Happens
2015-09-17, 07:03 PM

Have played SW:TOR, can confirm.:smallwink:

Zatanna disagrees.

Milodiah
2015-09-17, 07:43 PM

The WH40K semi-official continuum of rank/badassery is as follows:

Helmet < No Helmet < Hat < Helmet & Pauldrons < No Helmet & Pauldrons.

In rare cases "Hat & Pauldrons" does appear, and naturally this is the top of the tiers. While originally it was avoided due to the fact that the Emprah does not have a hat, further academic discussion came to the conclusion that his halo constitutes the best hat and therefore others in hats are still beneath him.

On a related note, this. (http://1d4chan.org/images/f/f5/Grand_High_Mother****ing_General_Of_The_Universe.j pg)

ThinkMinty
2015-09-17, 07:45 PM

So the Emprah is...superevil then?

Milodiah
2015-09-17, 07:47 PM
So the Emprah is...superevil then?

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/10/13/281231_mb-Heresy%20Stamp.png

ThinkMinty
2015-09-17, 08:00 PM
BIG SHINY THING

That hurts my eyes, can you throw it in a spoiler?

Janus
2015-09-17, 09:06 PM
I really, really hope this is sarcasm.
It's a joke. Hence the :smallfurious: and just how ridiculous it was.

Sith_Happens
2015-09-18, 12:09 AM
It's a joke. Hence the :smallfurious: and just how ridiculous it was.

":smalltongue:" is the emoticon you're looking for, then.:smalltongue:

Janus
2015-09-18, 12:33 AM
":smalltongue:" is the emoticon you're looking for, then.:smalltongue:
Overreactions are a part of my sense of humor, what can I say?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-18, 01:34 AM
You may brand us heretics, but I've always felt the Imperium of Man was evil as an organisation and the Immortal God-Emperor does demand an awful lot of blood-sacrifice from his subjects...

Just sayin'

Sith_Happens
2015-09-18, 04:31 AM
http://static2.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/5055197+_2a925629a375b4388e2ba765b75ef29f.jpg

JAL_1138
2015-09-18, 05:38 AM
You may brand us heretics, but I've always felt the Imperium of Man was evil as an organisation and the Immortal God-Emperor does demand an awful lot of blood-sacrifice from his subjects...

Just sayin'

Assuming the Emprah actually demands anything and isn't just a brain-dead vegetable on life-support being used as a focal point for belief.