PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Cost of Buildings

Ydnar
2015-09-14, 08:37 AM
Hey guys I need some help with the creation of a brothel. Any suggestions on where I can start in terms of supplying a price for such an undertaking to my PCs? I know this is vague, but I really have no idea where to start.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-14, 08:38 AM
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook

NevinPL
2015-09-14, 09:02 AM
And the "second step", should be: "Book of Erotic Fantasy".

ekarney
2015-09-14, 09:06 AM
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook

Seconding this.

Cityscape may be of some use to you as well.

Ydnar
2015-09-14, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys! :)

Milo v3
2015-09-14, 09:59 AM
Pathfinder also has rules for this, with it costing 2,150 gp to buy a brothel.

Ydnar
2015-09-14, 10:37 AM
My PCs want to build something quite lavish. They want to make a brothel/home base type of thing. At a quick glance it seems they'll be spending in the neighbourhood of 50k.

Milo v3
2015-09-14, 10:39 AM
My PCs want to build something quite lavish. They want to make a brothel/home base type of thing. At a quick glance it seems they'll be spending in the neighbourhood of 50k.

Might want to check out the downtime rules (paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/downtime.html) from PF, you can build buildings with it cheaper than the Stronghold builders guide iirc.

Ydnar
2015-09-14, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the ideas and resources guys. Any suggestions on how to calculate profit for a brothel. The 'employed' are of a higher than normal tier. They would be the high-class of the profession. There will be roughly 10-12 employees. High charisma and quite skilled. the population of the town is just under 2700 and it is a popular trade hub. There is a lot of traffic that comes and goes in the run of a week/month. Ideas?

Milo v3
2015-09-14, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the ideas and resources guys. Any suggestions on how to calculate profit for a brothel. The 'employed' are of a higher than normal tier. They would be the high-class of the profession. There will be roughly 10-12 employees. High charisma and quite skilled. the population of the town is just under 2700 and it is a popular trade hub. There is a lot of traffic that comes and goes in the run of a week/month. Ideas?

If using the downtime rules, it has rules for calculating profit and the employees would function as teams of Craftspeople. For 3.5e, you might be able to find the price of a suitable hireling in the players handbook services section, or the DMG NPC chapter, but I'm not sure. Alternatively, you could have them make "Profession (Brothel Owner)" checks.

Ydnar
2015-09-14, 11:01 AM
If using the downtime rules, it has rules for calculating profit and the employees would function as teams of Craftspeople. For 3.5e, you might be able to find the price of a suitable hireling in the players handbook services section, or the DMG NPC chapter, but I'm not sure. Alternatively, you could have them make "Profession (Brothel Owner)" checks.

So you think single checks would be sufficient? I was thinking making a role to determine the number of patrons to visit and a role for quality of service rendered - based on the charisma score of the npcs (at the very least). And with your idea maybe throw in a profession check to add an extra percentage to the overall income? Or maybe I'm overthinking this way too much lol.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-14, 11:36 AM
The profit is going to be a matter of income versus expenses for the brothel as a whole. So while the individual employees would make their own Profession checks to determine their individual incomes, the owner would have a separate check to determine their profit. Note that it would be entirely possible for the owner to have a lower result than the employees, as this results the owner having to deal with expenses that don't impact the individual employees' pay. So you would want the owner to have some sort of Profession (Business Manager) skill and use the normal rules for Professions to determine their income.

Coidzor
2015-09-14, 08:12 PM
If they're running it themselves, then the PF downtime rules probably work. If they're gonna have a subordinate in charge or hire a manager for while they're adventuring, then it's going to be either a money sink or break even from what I recall of conversations on the subject.

If you want to do something based off of 3.5's business rules, you'll want to rewrite them or find someone else's revision of them and use that in most cases, IIRC, instead of using the vanilla rules, but I can't remember why that's the case offhand, so just keep that in mind when/if you look at the business rules in the book they're in(DMG 2?).

Alternatively, you could use it to basically generate profits that account for the balance of low-wealth encounters, such as monsters that don't have treasure like Dire Wombats.