PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Roleplaying a concept Help

Elite Hatter
2015-09-14, 08:37 AM
Hello, so I rolled ridiculous stats: 15, 16, 17, 17, 18, 18. 4d6 remove the lowest. My DM made all the players roll and roll under his supervision. He nearly &%$# himself as I was rolling

I had the character I wanted to play ahead of time, a semi- sub-optimal build. But fantastic concept imo (reason i'm playing it obviously) a Draconinc Blue Dragonborn Sorcerer. His name is Scur, he's part of an all blue DB Clan. They don't worship Tiamat or Bahamut. They instead are almost like Druids, they adhere to the power of the Storm. every few generations a member of the tribe is born with great innate power, The Stormborn. This is Scur. From an early age he was showing great potential and mastery of all aspects of the Storm, Lightning and Thunder especially. He was raised to not take sides on moral quandaries and let the winds of fate blow where they may, those who can weather the storm shall go on, and those who bend and break aren't worth defending. He was convinced his powers were meant for more than a normal life of a clan member and encouraged to explore the world and realize his destiny (why he's an adventurer). I was thinking Chaotic Neutral Alignment.

Starting at level 8 His stats are:
Str:18
Dex:18
Con:20 (+2 at 4)
Int:17
Wis:15
Cha: 20 (+2 at 8)

83 HP (I just take the Avg.)
Prof. In: Arcana, Religion, Insight, and Intimidation

I took the Acolyte Background and renamed it "Shaman" cause i feel that fits better, and the Shelter of the faithful can still be used should we ever run into my clan, so meh.

He hates, and I mean loathes the stereotype about Chromatic Dragons (especially Blue), and will let loose his entire arsenal of spells and fury without hesitation and regardless of personal safety.

I feel I have it decently fleshed out Background and my DM feels he is easily incorporated into his Homebrew campaign. I'm newer to 5e and tabletop in general, any advice on translating this from a concept to bringing it to life at the table?

Also I need help with Personality traits, bonds, ideals, and flaws. I really don't like the Acolyte options.

I was thinking:
Ideal: An individual's worth can be measured by their ability to adapt and overcome
Flaw: Something about losing control when confronted with persecution due to his draconic heritage or ant dragon that further proves it right (Chromatic dragons/ half-dragons)

Any help or critiques is appreciated.

Millface
2015-09-14, 10:38 AM
Adapt and overcome is a good ideal, but I don't feel it fully captures the essence of a storm.

Something more like: All things weather, even mountains shrink and fall. The measure of a man is how firmly he stands in the face of the inevitable storm.

His flaw is pretty good, but I would add in that he probably has a pretty passive attitude about most things when he's not angry or at least passionate. He carries the power of the storm, and for things he cares about he has no problem BEING the winds that blow where they may, but in more trivial or neutral matters to him personally he might be really aloof and just non-committal, willing to let nature run it's course as opposed to constantly trying to impose his will on it. Anyone who plays the "hero" he might scoff at, as if they can make a difference in the grand scheme of nature and destiny. He would be more foresighted, less shortsighted, and difficult to motivate. Sort of slow to rouse, but devastating when he does.

1Forge
2015-09-14, 11:13 AM
Not sure what needs help it all looks good to me.

Elite Hatter
2015-09-14, 11:26 AM
Adapt and overcome is a good ideal, but I don't feel it fully captures the essence of a storm.

Something more like: All things weather, even mountains shrink and fall. The measure of a man is how firmly he stands in the face of the inevitable storm.

His flaw is pretty good, but I would add in that he probably has a pretty passive attitude about most things when he's not angry or at least passionate. He carries the power of the storm, and for things he cares about he has no problem BEING the winds that blow where they may, but in more trivial or neutral matters to him personally he might be really aloof and just non-committal, willing to let nature run it's course as opposed to constantly trying to impose his will on it. Anyone who plays the "hero" he might scoff at, as if they can make a difference in the grand scheme of nature and destiny. He would be more foresighted, less shortsighted, and difficult to motivate. Sort of slow to rouse, but devastating when he does.

I like this, alot. Almost exactly what I had inind, spelt out.

Regitnui
2015-09-14, 02:25 PM
Not to say the other option was bad, but let me see if I can't do something a bit different;

The storm is the cleanser, washing away the false and revealing the pure. A person's worth can only really be judged when they are under true stress; being at the edge of the volcano, or more appropriately for this character, staring Into the Teeth of the Storm. As a chaotic neutral, he may prefer not to judge or make any moral decisions until he's seen the situation 'in the storm', only helping those he believes will stand firm or endure. Those that break under pressure are doomed anyway.

Elite Hatter
2015-09-14, 03:11 PM
Not to say the other option was bad, but let me see if I can't do something a bit different;

The storm is the cleanser, washing away the false and revealing the pure. A person's worth can only really be judged when they are under true stress; being at the edge of the volcano, or more appropriately for this character, staring Into the Teeth of the Storm. As a chaotic neutral, he may prefer not to judge or make any moral decisions until he's seen the situation 'in the storm', only helping those he believes will stand firm or endure. Those that break under pressure are doomed anyway.

This is great as well. Both are along the concept I had in mind, I just don't want this guy coming across as a douche or difficult to deal with for my DM.

These are helping immensely, Ill post up what I end up rolling with.

Elite Hatter
2015-09-14, 05:12 PM
One more piece of advice needed, the campaign he is most likely to appear in we are "Bahamut's champions" on a crusade to crush Tiamat and her forces. How do I still roleplay along, but keep the character distance from aligning with Bahamut directly?

I was thinking something like "I will keep her forces away, but killing her is Your war and duty."Or something similar.

saeval
2015-09-14, 05:51 PM
One more piece of advice needed, the campaign he is most likely to appear in we are "Bahamut's champions" on a crusade to crush Tiamat and her forces. How do I still roleplay along, but keep the character distance from aligning with Bahamut directly?

I was thinking something like "I will keep her forces away, but killing her is Your war and duty."Or something similar.

Sticking too hard to the idea in your head, and saying he doesn't have personal friendships that can alter his opinion, would be a mistake. He may not actively worship Bahamut, but I'm sure you can have him admire traits he shares with the gods teachings, or with its followers. He may not be a help the Downtrodden type, but you can find an excuse to motivate yourself. Don't make the DM work overly hard to reel you in with a plothook just cause your character is Aloof. Your characters motivation, could be his relationship with his friends. He doesn't bond easily, but when he does, he's solid as an oak. They care, so he cares.

Elite Hatter
2015-09-14, 06:09 PM
Sticking too hard to the idea in your head, and saying he doesn't have personal friendships that can alter his opinion, would be a mistake. He may not actively worship Bahamut, but I'm sure you can have him admire traits he shares with the gods teachings, or with its followers. He may not be a help the Downtrodden type, but you can find an excuse to motivate yourself. Don't make the DM work overly hard to reel you in with a plothook just cause your character is Aloof. Your characters motivation, could be his relationship with his friends. He doesn't bond easily, but when he does, he's solid as an oak. They care, so he cares.

Oh he's going to be friendly. And he has a reason to be in the adventure, the great destiny of the Stormborn. I know how I want to RP him, I just can't translate that to in game and dialogue. Without sounding like I'm being a difficult player. For example, my DM is aware of all of this, and cannot wait to see Scur played.

I'm just asking advice from experienced players and/ or an outside perspective.

Like he doesn't outright hate either of the Dragon Gods, he just doesn't see a reason to pick a side. And, in his clans teachings, would rather let thw storm between them brew and whichever is left standing is the worthy winner. But I feel that's too disillusioned for a campaign. So I'm kinda at a loss. Basically, to what end would he be willing to help Bahamit, and if it is to kill Tiamat, why fight his battle for him?

Maybe with promise to become the new lord of Chromatic Dragons and learn them in the way of his clan. Or have the storm break them?

Regitnui
2015-09-15, 01:05 AM
It might be the 'destiny' of his clan to redeem some or all of the chromatic dragons, or even just the blue Dragon lineage. An Interesting conceit might be succeeding in redeeming the blue dragons, then finding Tiamat with one less head.

Elite Hatter
2015-09-15, 07:42 AM
I cannot wait to play this guy. This thread has helped a lot. Regitnui, your idea is nice, similar to mine, but on a smaller scope and it makes sense. I'm probably gonna roll with it. Thanks ^.^

Millface
2015-09-15, 09:15 AM

You already actively disagree with the tenants of Tiamat in a big way. You don't like what Chromatic dragons stand for, and you don't like the way others look at you just because you're descendant of one. You don't need to even like Bahamut to find the motivation to go after Tiamat, that b!tch has it coming anyway, right?

Elite Hatter
2015-09-15, 09:33 AM
You already actively disagree with the tenants of Tiamat in a big way. You don't like what Chromatic dragons stand for, and you don't like the way others look at you just because you're descendant of one. You don't need to even like Bahamut to find the motivation to go after Tiamat, that b!tch has it coming anyway, right?

Sir you deserve all the Medals. XD