PDA

View Full Version : Smallville, love it or hate it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-14, 12:09 AM
Despite the fact I've never even read a single comic book I seem to be drawn to superhero shows/movies and have kinda watched Smallville off and on for a couple years.

I'll watch it and then it'll frustrate me so bad I want to spit in the producer's face, but then I somehow gett hooked again.

Honestly, despite the horrible, hideous pseudoscience, even within that the show drives me up the wall. Whenever Lionel and Lex are involved my interest is piqued because great subtelty and imagination is put into the stuff they do. Really deep thinking on their parts, which is fine, they are supposedly geniuses. Then you bring in the others and the show becomes DUMB.

Frankly I detest Clark and Lana. Always have, always will. Love Chloe to death though. She's like the only ounce of intelligence and common sense in any bit not including the Luthers.

But anyways, I know they need to set boundaries for the show, but I swear I am sick to death of Clark being able to run circles around bullets yet he can be swatted by folks with great strength. Most aren't moving any quicker than normal humans, so why can't he move? This also goes for folks who open the door and surprise him in the act of something. Even if you ignore that, he has super hearing that never ever works... except when the plot dictates. The problem is, its so blatantly and unprofessionally obvious.

Then there is the stupid relationship thing. Clark never explains. Despite the fact that everyone of them has acted really really odd because of kryptonite or possession or other whacky stuff they never seem to grasp that, *gasp*, maybe this happened to Clark? And HE WON'T TELL THEM. He's just 'I wasn't myself'. Hey idiot, it won't spoil your 'secret'. They've bloody well done the same thing.

I've been watching the earlier episodes to figure out how this and that happened and this latest one is what finally pushed me over the edge. Clark, while under the effects of red kryptonite that takes away all inhibitions, marries this girl, goes on a fling, blah blah blah. His mom is all 'Clark, how could you?'

'Uh, I was on the red stuff?'

'Clark, I thought we'd raised you better!'

'I WAS UNDER THE INLUENCE OF MIND AFFECTING SUBSTANCES.'

'Oh Clark, I am so disapointed.'

Martha, for all thats sane and good in the world, use a couple brain cells and SHUT THE PIE HOLE YOU BOOPING TWIT.

Man that felt good to say.

What gives? No one in this show acts sane or reasonable. Ever. No one makes ANY sense.

Which only makes me wonder all the more why I watch it. The diamonds in the rough are too minor karats to be worth all the gravel I gotta shift through...

Khantalas
2007-05-14, 04:53 AM
You're watching it because Lex Luthor is the awesome. I know, that's why I used to watch it.

Om
2007-05-14, 07:11 AM
Sounds like that's more hate than love :smallwink:

LCR
2007-05-14, 10:02 AM
I watch it (sometimes) because I want to be bloody Superman. Period. That's the only reason, why I watch superhero movies. And Star Wars.

Sereneprophet
2007-05-14, 10:56 AM
Eh I love it. I don't really worry about the little stuff like you listed (At least little to me.) Its just supposed to be fun and enjoyable, and for me it is ^^.

Plus...its based off a comic book character. Since when have comic books EVER made sense. Retcons, alternate universes...makes the mind EXPLOSIVO!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-14, 11:01 AM
Eh I love it. I don't really worry about the little stuff like you listed (At least little to me.) Its just supposed to be fun and enjoyable, and for me it is ^^.

Plus...its based off a comic book character. Since when have comic books EVER made sense. Retcons, alternate universes...makes the mind EXPLOSIVO!
But thats the thing, even in a comic book world, wtd? The whole socio-behavioral thing makes me grit my teeth.

Red kryptonite you know turns your son into a nutcase. Someone purposely plants it on him. Then you BERATE said son for acting like a nutcase?

You could tell your friends and/or family that something happened without revealing your secret. No, instead you let them hate you.

Guh.

PaulTheSamurai
2007-05-14, 11:03 AM
I have a lot of the same problems with the show. Its very X-Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer mixed together with big pinch of Scooby Doo and the Gang. Just the must outrageous stuff happens show after show and everyone is clueless. But its one of my favorite shows! :smallbiggrin:

And for the record I would have taken Chloe to my fortress of solitude in the first season!

Sereneprophet
2007-05-14, 11:05 AM
Haha you do have a point. You would think they would learn after awhile. Luckily those episodes are fairly rare, and are funny imo, so I dont mind TO much. I do get where you are coming from though not that I think about it haha.

And I will admit I am getting sick of the whole Clark and Lana thing. Just bone Lois and get it over with!

Oh...and Cloe...ZOMG...so awesome, and hot to boot. Cloe=Win.

averagejoe
2007-05-14, 11:07 AM
Man, last time I watched that show was when my stepsister was watching that one season premere (or finale, or something)where Clark gets his fortress of solitude. I had to explain everything to her, even though she had been following the show. The show didn't impress me. And I am annoyed by the theme song, and soundtrack in general.

Khantalas
2007-05-14, 11:07 AM
Well, yeah, what's with the obsession about Lana? I mean, Chloe is right there! With a big crush on you and stuff! I mean, darn you Clark!

...or did you mean the actual Fortress of Solitude?

Mind, gutter, you know the rest.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-14, 11:20 AM
Well, yeah, what's with the obsession about Lana? I mean, Chloe is right there! With a big crush on you and stuff! I mean, darn you Clark!
Hear hear. Got into another discussion about this where I'm told I'm nuts, but I don't find Lana half as attractive, physically, mentally, or personality-wise.

Erloas
2007-05-14, 02:00 PM
I watched it a little bit durning the first season or two, quite a while ago now it seems. I never really found it that interesting, but then again I never have found any version of Superman to be very interesting. What I never liked is Superman is always at the point of power where he might be able to loose (but of course always manages to win) no matter what the situation is. Which isn't a problem in general but it always leads to inconstancies like being clever when its needed and not being able to read a neon sign saying whats up in other situations. Same goes with his hearing, sight, speed, strength, vulnerabilities, etc. And whats up with kryptonite? Super rare substance that everyone and their dog ends up finding and using for no apparent reason.
Most of which aren't specific to Smallville, but to Superman as a whole. Smallville seemed to be filled with too much teenage angest and non-issues to have any long term appeal to me.

Khantalas
2007-05-14, 02:03 PM
Well, kryptonite is about as rare as coal.

zeratul
2007-05-14, 02:48 PM
Umm....I uh.....don't.....watch.......STOP LOOKING AT ME *cries*

Holy_Knight
2007-05-16, 01:01 AM
I'm with VT essentially I suppose, although I guess I lean more toward the love side than the hate side. I do disagree about Clark though--I think he's a good character, and I find him easy to empathize with. He's always trying to do the right thing and help everybody, and he mostly gets a lot of pain for his troubles. As for Lana, I really got tired of her--especially when she started going borderline evil. It also pissed me off how for so long she decided that Clark was some horrible person despite knowing for a fact that he has saved her life on multiple occasions, but was willing to ignore all the countless people, friends and strangers, who kept telling her that Lex was commiting horrible crimes.

Oh, Amen man, Amen. I've been saying that same thing forever now. Chloe wins on every category, hands down. I mean, I'd buy an argument that some people find Lana prettier, due to different tastes and all, but come on--even if someone did think that, Chloe's way better personality-wise, not to mention "treating Clark well and not like crap"-wise. Even though I know it won't happen, I always imagine a scene where Clark finally wakes up and whisks Chloe away because he notices how much better she is than Lana. If I were Clark, I would have snatched Chloe up right away.

Also, don't you think that Allison Mack has awesome facial expressions? She can really convey emotion just by a look, and I've always found that impressive about her.

I've been watching the earlier episodes to figure out how this and that happened and this latest one is what finally pushed me over the edge. Clark, while under the effects of red kryptonite that takes away all inhibitions, marries this girl, goes on a fling, blah blah blah. His mom is all 'Clark, how could you?'

'Uh, I was on the red stuff?'

'Clark, I thought we'd raised you better!'

'I WAS UNDER THE INLUENCE OF MIND AFFECTING SUBSTANCES.'

'Oh Clark, I am so disapointed.'

Martha, for all thats sane and good in the world, use a couple brain cells and SHUT THE PIE HOLE YOU BOOPING TWIT.

Man that felt good to say.

I agree that Martha was too harsh on Clark regarding the whole Alisha thing, since he was on a mind-altering substance. However, I will point out that she wasn't being quite as unreasonable as you might think, since we know Clark is capable of resisting Red K's effects if he tries to do so.

Here's a random question since we're on the subject--is there any way to get the music that plays during the show's ending credits? I really like that theme, but the only Smallville music I can ever seem to find is the stuff that gets played during the episodes.

knightsaline
2007-05-16, 01:27 AM
I think in the 7th season, Clark meets some people that superman will eventually meet. All I want is a passing reference to Bruce Wayne, even if its just bruce working at the farm for one episode. if they can put martian manhunter into an episode they can definitely put bruce into the show for an episode or two.

Yet one thing bothers me, what exactly does the kent farm produce?

I agree with everyone who wants clark and chloe to get together. Lana is just stupid.

ray53208
2007-05-16, 07:58 PM
used to like it. now i loathe it. this show jumped the frackin' gorram shark in the 3rd season.

its a whiney, poorly written, soap opera. i think what angers me most is that this show had real potential and it was squandered.

thorgrim29
2007-05-16, 11:17 PM
I followed the first seasons, then got off, then tried to catch up a few months ago...... never managed. I missed the whole Lana falling in love with lex thing, the whole Lex turning evil thing, why Lois is there, Jonathans death....... Everything.

Now it seems Lionel as become sort of a good guy? He's always been my favorite character in the show (Lex close second, the whole doomed from the start tragedy)

Sereneprophet
2007-05-18, 07:00 PM
Probably the best Finale so far, new villain, deaths, just plain awesome.

Cant wait till next season, and if you hate it, well, your loss ^^.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-18, 07:02 PM
Probably the best Finale so far, new villain, deaths, just plain awesome.

Cant wait till next season, and if you hate it, well, your loss ^^.
Now that Chloe has been taken out I have to say the love is gone :smallfurious: