PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to be reborn/reincarnated as a level 1 sorcerer?

RoboEmperor
2015-09-14, 12:13 PM
I'm designing a character with roughly this backstory:
1. A high level wizard spends most of her years researching a way to grant herself spontaneous spellcasting despite having absolutely no special ancestry. (She believes sorcerers > wizards)
2. After years of experimentation on test subjects she finally "succeeds" (partially)
3. She performs the procedure on herself, maybe with the help of a servant (construct, extraplanar, or mind controlled)
4. She becomes a level 1 sorcerer! Perhaps due to ignorance, unforseen circumstances, or sabotage, she loses all of her memory (hence all her XP), and her ability scores are transformed. Perhaps even a race change?

In order to make this character come to life I need game mechanics that let this happen. The character doesn't need to start out as a wizard. She could be a druid, cleric, or even a rogue with high UMD.

Anyways do any of you encyclopedias of the game know of a series of tricks that can help me? ;D

My absolute last resort is: she gets a wish scroll, wishes to be the most powerful sorcerer ever, only to be partially completed and backfired.

GilesTheCleric
2015-09-14, 12:21 PM
PHB2 has options for retraining characters; the Gates of Dawn is one such method. It says "(that is, the planned rebuild instantly takes effect)", so I assume it could include level loss. If it doesn't, then there's Sanctified spells that have level loss as part of their sacrifice cost, or you could use the old trick of level draining.

OldTrees1
2015-09-14, 12:59 PM
Depending on the theme of the ritual in question you could also use Elan or Hellbred.

Urpriest
2015-09-14, 01:43 PM
Depending on the theme of the ritual in question you could also use Elan or Hellbred.

This. For Elan in particular, this is exactly how they're supposed to work, just with an Elan ritual rather than a new one.

Eldan
2015-09-14, 04:09 PM
You could also level drain yourself and fail all the saves on purpose. Not necessarily recommended.

Berenger
2015-09-14, 04:51 PM
"I wish I was born with X bloodline."

The original timeline shatters as soon as the wish is spoken. A new timeline springs into existence, starting with the first divergence from the old timeline. The character awakes at night, in her own bed in the house of her parents as a level 1 commoner. She is exactly 15 years and 364 days old, but retains hazy memories of her former life (hazy enough to lose her spellcasting ability but retain memories of... whatever fluff you wish, I guess). Her sorcerer powers will manifest during her Sweet Sixteen Party (16 = minimum starting age for sorcerers, commoner 1 switches to sorcerer 1). The wildly chaotic results of this manifestion will make her planned immatriculation in wizard college impossible. Possibly, she will be on the run at the end of the day.

RoboEmperor
2015-09-14, 05:18 PM
@Berenger
Nice fluff. Really nice :D. I was kinda thinking of having enemies of the wizard kind of brainwash her in her weakened state or something, but your fluff is so nice....

Hmm I wonder if extraplanar entities are affected by time shenanigans on the material plane. If time from one plane doesn't affect time on another plane then this is the fluff I will go with.

Really great idea!

Exact phrase of wish will be "I wish to be able to cast arcane spells spontaneously!"

@those who suggest level drain.
Level drain can't undo the 1st level, plus level drain won't give a commoner the gift of sorcery.

edit:Changed the title of the post.

Bronk
2015-09-14, 08:49 PM
I don't know... If the wizard already has access to wish, he could use the wish rules from Savage Species to wish himself into the form of something with sorcerer casting, like a dragon or a spellweaver.

Maybe he's done this, become a spellweaver, but then was level drained back down to level one and PAOed into a regular PC race?

Coidzor
2015-09-14, 09:25 PM
Considering Reincarnation alone is a lower level spell, 9th level spellcasting should probably be capable of making a person bypass the usual afterlife stuff and go straight to being implanted into a new zygote/fetus/infant.

Perhaps the memory loss is from the fact that their soul didn't quite beat the soul that was supposed to go into that body, so despite not being able to properly develop consciousness of its own, its blankness absorbed much of the wizard's essence.