PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Synthesist Summoner and Big Freakin' Swords

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 01:52 PM
I'm curious about building a Synthesist Summoner, mostly because it looks fun. Probably make the Eidolon into some kind of kickass Oni-esque dude (Bipedal), all big and having a huge weapon to smack guys with. Maybe some kind of...I dunno, Nosferatu Zodd-looking guy. Dunno if I'd ever get to play it, just looks fun on a conceptual level.

There's essentially two things I need help in figuring out.

1. Exactly how the archetype works. This does include the finer points of building an Eidolon. I get the point system and the level-up rearrangement thing, I just don't know what feats they can/can't/should/shouldn't take.
2. Size category differences between weapons. Can't find the information on Large+ ones myself.

Pre-Emptively: Yes, I'm aware it's considered overpowered by a lot of people. It's been said before, I don't know how much it helps the thread to point it out for the umpteenth time.

Note: Discussing the normal or Unchained is fine, just be specific about which one you're talking about.

khadgar567
2015-09-14, 01:56 PM
I'm curious about building a Synthesist Summoner, mostly because it looks fun. Probably make the Eidolon into some kind of kickass Oni-esque dude (Bipedal), all big and having a huge weapon to smack guys with. Maybe some kind of...I dunno, Nosferatu Zodd-looking guy. Dunno if I'd ever get to play it, just looks fun on a conceptual level.

There's essentially two things I need help in figuring out.

1. Exactly how the archetype works. This does include the finer points of building an Eidolon. I get the point system and the level-up rearrangement thing, I just don't know what feats they can/can't/should/shouldn't take.
2. Size category differences between weapons. Can't find the information on Large+ ones myself.

Pre-Emptively: Yes, I'm aware it's considered overpowered by a lot of people. It's been said before, I don't know how much it helps the thread to point it out for the umpteenth time.
about the class regular optimization or unchained optimization.

Sqmach
2015-09-14, 02:08 PM
Synthesist summoner's eidolon gets no feats or skills, as specified in the description of the Fused Eidolon ability. For the larger sized weapons, its in the FAQ here (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9t3f).

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 02:23 PM
about the class regular optimization or unchained optimization.

Either/or. I'm curious as to what the difference is, but the regular Synth is probably fine.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 02:33 PM
Synthesist summoner's eidolon gets no feats or skills, as specified in the description of the Fused Eidolon ability. For the larger sized weapons, its in the FAQ here (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9t3f).

That clears that up. Gotta take the four-point evolution for Martial Proficiency then, or is it worth burning a feat?

Or if I go Half-Elf, do I trade the Skill Focus for the one sword type I'll want anyways?

torrasque666
2015-09-14, 02:38 PM
Depends. Which is worth more to you. Evolution points, or a feat? Because you could take the Martial Proficiency feat instead and be able to use the weapon anyway.

Scratch that. Go half-elf anyway, use the Favored Class Bonus on extra Evolution Points, and trade away Skill Focus (widely considered to be a useless feat anyway) for your preferred weapon.

MorgromTheOrc
2015-09-14, 02:41 PM
That clears that up. Gotta take the four-point evolution for Martial Proficiency then, or is it worth burning a feat?

Or if I go Half-Elf, do I trade the Skill Focus for the one sword type I'll want anyways?

I thought they could use any weapons or feats you can while fused? If I'm wrong correct me but otherwise I would save the more valuable evolution points for something else and blow a feat on martial proficiency if you need to.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 03:14 PM
Depends. Which is worth more to you. Evolution points, or a feat? Because you could take the Martial Proficiency feat instead and be able to use the weapon anyway.

Scratch that. Go half-elf anyway, use the Favored Class Bonus on extra Evolution Points, and trade away Skill Focus (widely considered to be a useless feat anyway) for your preferred weapon.

Hmm. Gotta think of a neat weapon. Greatsword seems to be the best choice, but since it's a Synth and there's room for screwing around, so I might look into something fun like a Falchion or an Elven Curve Blade. Could always go with the Earthbreaker, just to be the Big Guy With the Hammer.

Or I could go lighter and go all Hekatonkheires on some stuff. Options, options...

Sqmach
2015-09-14, 03:17 PM

If you're using a feat on martial weapon proficiency, you might just consider an exotic weapon instead, same cost.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 03:19 PM
If you're using a feat on martial weapon proficiency, you might just consider an exotic weapon instead, same cost.

Which exotic weapons are worth it? I don't really play weapon-y classes much, I'm utterly unfamiliar with 'em.

Sqmach
2015-09-14, 03:55 PM
Which exotic weapons are worth it? I don't really play weapon-y classes much, I'm utterly unfamiliar with 'em.

Depends on how you wanna play, a lot of them have some good extra effects. Look here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#weapons-exotic).

Spore
2015-09-14, 04:25 PM

As a rule of thumb it should either have a higher crit chance than average (Wakizashi compared with Daggers), enable unsual maneuvers (Spike Chain) or have other utility (Elven Curveblade as twohanded finesseable weapon, Slingstaff offering a high range for a weapon that is used with rocks, whip as more of a tool than a weapon).

By the way Oni typically largely use metal clubs. I would love to see a "big game hunting" ogre with an spiked chain though. He likes to hunt ... slightly bigger prey. Tame a wyvern by chaining it down. Wrestle a Dire Wolf and become its pack leader. Challenge an Ogre Chieftain for his tribe.

jesterjeff
2015-09-14, 04:36 PM
A large oni body with a large bastard sword, gives you the samurai style of the oni, ogre mage.

I have used the Synthesist as a villain. The host body is that of a frail desperate arcane caster seeking a way to walk again. He binds his body and soul to an eidolon, or even a parasitic outsider if you want to get creative and unique.
I ended up with a summoner, crippled and unable to walk, selling his magical skill and summoned hordes to a warlord for protection, but he has been driven mad by the experiences as this thing.
A neighboring city was under siege by a large, muscular, tentacled, winged horror.
My players faced off against a winged iillithid-like grey render, capable of shifting shape and growing extra tentacles and heads in the fight. All fang and claw and red horror. My players? They screamed, "Oh god! Jeff gave Cthuhlu the carnage symbiote. Run!!!"

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 11:38 PM
A large oni body with a large bastard sword, gives you the samurai style of the oni, ogre mage.

I'll admit I didn't think of that one.

By the way Oni typically largely use metal clubs. I would love to see a "big game hunting" ogre with an spiked chain though. He likes to hunt ... slightly bigger prey. Tame a wyvern by chaining it down. Wrestle a Dire Wolf and become its pack leader. Challenge an Ogre Chieftain for his tribe.

As fun as the spiked chain is, I'll probably stick to the Tetsubo. 2d8 at Large is pretty neat, and I can get 10-15 feet of reach out of that thing. Get it made out of Adamantine or something. Big ol' smackin' club, plus there's comedic potential in carrying that around out of oni mode.

Plus, Lesser Evolution Surge lets me get wings n' stuff. That's just neat.