PDA

View Full Version : Wilder Redux [Base Class]

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-14, 01:28 AM
Wilder
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills
The wilder’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Power Points/Day|Powers Known|Maximum Power Level Known
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Surge (+0) 1/day|2|2|1st
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Surging euphoria +1|7|3|1st
3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Surge (+1)|12|4|1st
4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Surge 2/day|19|5|2nd
5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Surging euphoria +2|28|6|2nd
6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Surge (+2)|39|7|3rd
7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Psychic defense mechanism|52|8|3rd
8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Surge 3/day|65|9|4th
9th|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Surge (+3)|81|10|4th
10th|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Surging euphoria +3|99|10|5th
11th|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7|Greater surge|119|10|5th
12th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Surge (+4) 4/day|142|12|6th
13th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Greater psychic defense mechanism|165|13|6th
14th|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9|Psychic inertia|191|14|7th
15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+9|Surge (+5)|219|14|7th
16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Surge 5/day|249|15|8th
17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Effortless surge|281|16|8th
18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11|Surge (+6)|315|17|9th
19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Supreme psychic defense mechanism|350|17|9th
20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Mighty surge, surge 6/day, surging euphoria +6|386|18|9th[/table]

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Wilders are proficient with all simple weapons, with light armor, and with shields (except tower shields).
Power Points/Day: A wilder’s ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points she has available. Her base daily allotment of power points is given on Table: The Wilder. In addition, she receives bonus power points per day if she has a high Charisma score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points). Her race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items.
Powers Known: A wilder begins play knowing two wilder power of your choice. At the levels indicated on the table, she unlocks the knowledge of new powers.
Choose the powers known from the wilder power list. (Exception: The feats Expanded Knowledge and Epic Expanded Knowledge do allow a wilder to learn powers from the lists of other classes.) A wilder can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than her manifester level.
The total number of powers a wilder can manifest in a day is limited only by her daily power points.
A wilder simply knows her powers; they are ingrained in her mind. She does not need to prepare them (in the way that some spellcasters prepare their spells), though she must get a good night’s sleep each day to regain all her spent power points.
The Difficulty Class for saving throws against wilder powers is 10 + the power’s level + the wilder’s Charisma modifier.
Maximum Power Level Known: A wilder begins play with the ability to learn 1st-level powers. As she attains higher levels, she may gain the ability to master more complex powers.
To learn or manifest a power, a wilder must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the power’s level.
Surge (Su): A certain number of times per day, a wilder can enter a state of surging passion that enhances her psionic strength but leaves her drained when the heat of the moment has passed. She temporarily gains a +4 bonus to her Charisma score, which increases the save DCs of her powers and grants her temporary bonus power points, which go away at the end of the surge when her Charisma score drops back down to normal. A surge of passion lasts for a number of rounds equal to the character's unimproved Charisma modifier. A wilder may prematurely end her surge. At the end of her surge, a wilder loses the surge modifiers and becomes mentally fatigued (-2 to all mental scores, resulting in temporary loss of bonus power points and access to higher-level powers, as well as decrease in save DCs, for more information, see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42535)) for the duration of the current encounter (unless she is a 17th-level wilder, at which point this limitation no longer applies; see below).

A wilder can surge only once per encounter. At first level, she can use her surge ability only once per day. At 4th level and every four levels thereafter, she can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of 6 times per day at 20th level). Surging takes no time itself, but a wilder can do it only during her action, not in response to someone else's action.

Starting at 3rd level, a wilder gains +1 to her manifester level when she is in a surge. This bonus increases by 1 at every third level thereafter (to a maximum of +6 at 18th level).
Surging Euphoria (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a wilder entering a surge gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws for the duration of the surge. This bonus increases by 1 at 5th level, and every fifth level thereafter (to a maximum of +5 at 20th level).
Psychic Defense Mechanism (Su): Starting at 7th level, a wilder's passion has grown so powerful that it provides a measure of physical protection, granting her a deflection bonus to AC equal to her Charisma bonus (and yes, this does mean that her deflection bonus increases when she surges).
Greater Surge (Su): Starting at 11th level, a wilder's bonus to Charisma during a surge increases to +6.
Greater Psychic Defense Mechanism (Su): Starting at 13th level, a wilder's passion has grown even more powerful, so that it provides protection against psionic and magical effects, granting her power resistance equal to 10 + her class level + her Charisma modifier (and yes, this does mean that her PR increases when she surges).
Psychic Inertia (Ex): Starting at 14th level, a wilder's passion has become so forceful that she is difficult to control through magic and psionics. If a wilder is affected by an enchantment or telepathy effect that has penetrated her PR and she fails her saving throw, she can attempt a second saving throw against the same DC 1 round later. She gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw.
Effortless Surge (Ex): Starting at 17th level, a wilder no longer becomes mentally fatigued at the end of her surge.
Supreme Psychic Defense Mechanism (Su): Starting at 19th level, a wilder's passion has grown so powerful that it can now reflect psionic and magical effects back at the manifester or caster. Any spell or power which is negated by a wilder's PR is sent back at the caster or manifester, using the wilder's ML and Charisma modifier in place of the original caster/manifester's CL/ML and key ability modifier when determining the effects of the reflected spell/power.
Mighty Surge (Su): At 20th level, a wilder's bonus to Charisma during a surge increases to +8.

Caewil
2007-05-14, 05:54 AM
Iames, will you marry me?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-14, 06:08 AM
No, sorry. I don't swing that way. :smalltongue:

Caewil
2007-05-14, 08:33 AM
I thought you were a girl! :smallfrown:

Seriously though, good work. I always did think the Wilder's selection of powers was too small. And the "surge" just fits better than the old ability did.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-14, 08:53 AM
Gender:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/misc/Male.gif

Nope.. It says so right under his location.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-14, 10:44 AM
Rather awesome, though it feels like a one-trick pony.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-14, 10:46 AM
How do you mean?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-14, 11:05 AM
Well, all of it's class features are either improvements on the Surge ability or are relatively dependent on it.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-14, 11:09 AM
Well it is Wilder. If you wanted variation, you'd be a Psion. :smalltongue:

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-14, 11:14 AM
Well, all of it's class features are either improvements on the Surge ability or are relatively dependent on it.

Well, granted. But I think it's much more versatile than the old wilder, simply by virtue of having more powers known.

Caewil
2007-05-14, 04:58 PM
Nope.. It says so right under his location.
I was joking. *sigh*

I'm just not very good at it. If I were a court jester, I'd be clapped in chains.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-14, 08:14 PM
I like it, but it gets 2/3 the psions powers, as well as some very nice PR, really high PP, extra HD, and a rage equivalent.

Oh yeah, BTW, are the extra points from surge as temporary HP, or as CON boost HP?

If the first, you get free PP. The other, the only use is when you're out of PP. Then you effectively get free PP. At 20th level, that's 240 (4*10*6) potential extra PP/day. (Whoops, didn't account for extra ML :()

EDIT: Maybe so. The fewer powers, as always, sting, but having 25% more PP, and a nice rage-like ability, and practical immunity to powers, makes for a nasty class.

Check out the PR. Any psion has NO chance of bypassing that without power penetration, as soon as the wilder enters surge/gets CHA over 31.

This is also the only class I've ever seen that could get 44 charisma, even if only temporarily.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-14, 08:47 PM
I like it, but it gets 2/3 the psions powers, as well as some very nice PR, really high PP, extra HD, and a rage equivalent.

Oh yeah, BTW, are the extra points from surge as temporary HP, or as CON boost HP?

If the first, you get free PP. The other, the only use is when you're out of PP. Then you effectively get free PP. At 20th level, that's 240 (4*10*6) potential extra PP/day.

The extra PP received are from the wilder's Cha mod and ML going up. So, as Con boost HP, and at 20th, they actually get an extra 312 pp/day, assuming they use all 6 surges.

So, you're basically saying it has too much?

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-15, 08:15 AM
This is also the only class I've ever seen that could get 44 charisma, even if only temporarily.

Never played Epic, have you?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-15, 11:56 AM
I've reduced the powers known and PP/day to more reasonable levels.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-26, 07:47 PM
I've gotten some feedback over IM that says that the Psychic Defense Mechanism abilities don't quite fit, and are a bit overpowered.

I'm willing to change them, but I need something to replace them. Suggestions?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-24, 02:41 PM
Veni, vidi, offensi.