PDA

View Full Version : Spell that helps overcome SR

ZhanStrider
2015-09-14, 06:51 PM
Hey guys,

I'm pretty sure I saw a spell a while back that gives a bonus to overcoming Spell Resistance on the next spell you cast. (I think it was either a level 1 or 2 spell)

I can't remember what the name of the spell is. and my google fu is failing. Anyone have a clue?

eggynack
2015-09-14, 06:54 PM
True casting (CM, 121), gives a +10 to your caster level for SR purposes as a standard action on a first level spell.

ZhanStrider
2015-09-14, 06:56 PM
True casting (CM, 121), gives a +10 to your caster level for SR purposes as a standard action on a first level spell.

Thatttt is what i needed thanks!

Thanatosia
2015-09-14, 07:06 PM
Assay Spell Resistance (Spell compendium pg17) is another good one to have around if needed. It's the same +10 bonus and is a lv4 spell.... but it aids all spellcasting against that target and not just one cast next round, and is a Swift Action to cast so you don't waste a turn using it.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 10:58 PM
Why not have some SR: No spells in your repertoire? That's what they're there for.

ZhanStrider
2015-09-16, 01:31 PM
Why not have some SR: No spells in your repertoire? That's what they're there for.

Well, i will, but i'm currently a level 3 sorcerer and I need to de-buff an enemy. My DM is pretty good about letting me change out my spells known, so it's only going to be on my list for one or two game sessions

Diarmuid
2015-09-16, 02:39 PM
Well, i will, but i'm currently a level 3 sorcerer and I need to de-buff an enemy. My DM is pretty good about letting me change out my spells known, so it's only going to be on my list for one or two game sessions

Wow...that kinda removes the whole spells known limiting factor of the Sorceror.

What does your GM hand out to Wizards to balance that out?

eggynack
2015-09-16, 02:47 PM
Wow...that kinda removes the whole spells known limiting factor of the Sorceror.

I don't think much of anything needs to be handed out. Even with daily swapping, spells known is a huge limitation on daily variety, and it looks like the swapping taking place here is far from daily and far from full. There's a minimum of one spell being swapped out every one or two game sessions, but that seems significantly lower than the full spell swapping every day taking place for the wizard.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-16, 02:47 PM

Wizards don't need the help. They really don't.

ZhanStrider
2015-09-16, 05:43 PM

He gives them metamagic and item creation feats and increased spell progression.

It's actually not as great as it seems, my DM lets sorcerers trade a spell if they spend 8 hours studying, but only ONE spell for that 8 hour period. He also allows people to trade out feats if they spend 8 hours training a feat with an NPC character who has the feat they want. It's a great way to be able to prepare for a mission, i must say. Need "Empower Spell" but don't have it? Spend 8 hours, and lose "weapon finesse" now you're ready to go lay the smackdown.

He is a big stickler about the time period, so while i waste my 8 hours replacing a spell, the rest of the party is usually off getting XP or loot somewhere.