PDA

View Full Version : Comp Psi - Divine Mind Question

Diarmuid
2015-09-14, 08:00 PM
The DM who will be running my groups next game mentioned that he's going to be allowing psionics in his game so I've been going through comp psi looking at the various options.

I read the ardent, the whole mantle thing seemed pretty neat. Then I read the divine mind and they seem to get mantles as well. But reading the Mantle section of their abilities, I'm not sure if they actually get the granted ability of their mantle, or if that's referring to the aura ability they get from picking a mantle.

Do they just get the aura related to the mantle they choose, or do they get the granted ability as well as the aura?

Edit - related kinda...do Psion's count as having Psycristal Affinity, like for qualifying for other feats? It's not listed as a class ability specifically, but they obviously can summon them.

Edit2 - If a Psion chose Elemental Steward, does it ever gain any additional HD?

Troacctid
2015-09-14, 08:08 PM
Yes, Divine Minds get the granted power of their mantles. The text saying so is in their Mantle (Ex) ability, under the second paragraph.

Edit - related kinda...do Psion's count as having Psycristal Affinity, like for qualifying for other feats? It's not listed as a class ability specifically, but they obviously can summon them.

Psions must take the Psicrystal Affinity feat in order to summon a psicrystal.

Diarmuid
2015-09-14, 08:11 PM
Thanks, it was a little confusing that the Psicrystal stuff is on the Psion page kinda like familiar and AC stuff are on wiz/sore and Druid respectively.

torrasque666
2015-09-14, 08:22 PM

They can't summon a psicrystal without the feat anymore than a Psychic Warrior can. They just get the details for itty because it's basically the Psionic version of a familiar.

Diarmuid
2015-09-15, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Another psionic question, is there a limit to how many PP an Elan can spend on their Resilience ability? I dont see anything in the SRD, but I could see a rule that they cant spend more than they Character Level on a single use being reasonable, somewhat like the limit on powers and manifester level.

Essence_of_War
2015-09-15, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Another psionic question, is there a limit to how many PP an Elan can spend on their Resilience ability? I dont see anything in the SRD, but I could see a rule that they cant spend more than they Character Level on a single use being reasonable, somewhat like the limit on powers and manifester level.

There is no limit in the text. There is certainly an opporunity cost. PP are extremely valuable, and most psionics don't get enough to spend them frivolously. Even the "full manifesters" can burn through their daily PP very fast if they're enhancing all of their powers up to their full ML. Psychic Warriors typically need to be quite careful.

The Elan's ability requires them to give up their swift action in the next round, is only 1 PP / 2 damage, and only to themselves. I don't see a need for there to be a limit.

For reference a fifth level psion w/ 18 intelligence has only 35 PP. If they are an Elan, and spent 10 PP to prevent 20 damage to themselves, instead of manifesting, say, two instances of Energy Missile for 5d6 damage for up to 5 targets each, are you really worried that that is overpowered? :smallwink:

Edit: On a purely subjective note, from CPsi, the Ardent and Lurk are both really interesting (although the psionic rogue (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Fpsm%2F20040723b) is probably better than the Lurk. I would stay away from the Divine Mind, it is sort of a study in how to be ineffective at one's job. For all three, there is a decent Mind's Eye supplement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a).

Diarmuid
2015-09-15, 10:07 AM
I'm looking at an Ardent for my character.

I was also planning to take the Elan racial feat that bumps the ratio of 1pp:4dmg prevented.

Agreed that the Divine Mind doesnt look that great. As a melee intended class, needing Str/Con, maybe a little Dex, then wanting Wis for PP's/Powers, then needing Cha for their Divine Grace seems a bit much. The bonuses from the Auras just doesnt seem terribly worthwhile.

I'm avoiding the "sneak/skill" type as someone else in the group is planning to go that route.

Essence_of_War
2015-09-15, 11:27 AM
I'm looking at an Ardent for my character.

I was also planning to take the Elan racial feat that bumps the ratio of 1pp:4dmg prevented.

Agreed that the Divine Mind doesnt look that great. As a melee intended class, needing Str/Con, maybe a little Dex, then wanting Wis for PP's/Powers, then needing Cha for their Divine Grace seems a bit much. The bonuses from the Auras just doesnt seem terribly worthwhile.

The Ardent is an excellent class that can build into a number of different roles. The Dominant Ideal and Power Substitution ACFs at the Mind's Eye I linked too are compelling options.

I'm a fan of the Creation and Freedom mantles for almost any Ardent. Force and Guardian work pretty well if you're trying to be tanky. Energy is obvious for blasters, Mental Might has some fun ways to asplode people's heads.