PDA

View Full Version : Where to find good Wizard spells outside of Spell Compendium?

Windrammer
2015-09-14, 08:14 PM
Just came across a useful one for the campaign I'm in in Complete Scoundrel (siphon), and was wondering where else I should look to for good spell lists, if not standout individual spells that aren't Shivering Touch.

I've banned Illusion and Enchantment because they're for babies. Evocation is underrated!

supersonic29
2015-09-14, 09:05 PM
You can find some weird stuff in Oriental Adventures, can't remember how much is added to wizard and how much is just for Wu Jen though.

Edit: Nevermind, I misremembered. Sorcerers are explained in that setting, but wizards are just replaced, and even sorcerers don't seem to get their own spell list in the book (since you might fight for using that if it existed since wiz/sor usually share spells.)

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-14, 09:14 PM
Complete mage is rather obvious but there are a few gems sprinkled throughout the stuff released after the spell compendium.

nedz
2015-09-14, 09:23 PM
The Players Handbook :smallamused:

Other spells are scattered to the four winds sixty splatbooks though most were collated into the Spell Compendium. So you want to look in the splatbooks published after the SpC, or the settings books, or ...

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-14, 09:25 PM
IIRC Dragon Magic has a few interesting Wizard spells, although it has even more for Sorcerers.

Kraken
2015-09-14, 09:36 PM
Book of Exalted Deeds for sanctified spells
Book of Vile Darkness for corrupt spells and other goodies
Complete Mage, as mentioned, has plenty of gems, being a caster focused book
Races of Destiny has some niche spells, especially if you take arcane disciple (destiny) or use planar touchstone for access to that domain
Complete Scoundrel has some cool stuff, like spymaster's coin and wand modulation
Tome of Magic has some interesting spells sprinkled in it
Dragon Magic has lots of nifty things, and is also one of the few books that adds wu jen spells if that's ever of interest
Drow of the Underdark has some stuff, including magical backlash, which can wreck an opponent that's carrying around a lot of buffs and doesn't have mettle, shadow double is cool too
Exemplars of Evil has some spells, notably friendly fire
Libra Mortis has the mother cyst line of spells, which I've always found super cool
Lords of Madness has some gems hidden throughout, including permeable form (found in the tsochar section of the book) and invoke magic
Magic of Incarnum has some spells, I haven't looked at them much personally
Sandstorm and Frostburn both have plenty of cool spells, and I don't think all of them made it into the Spell Compendium

That's all I can recall from quickly scanning a list of book titles, hope it helps!

Chronos
2015-09-15, 06:14 AM
Most things (except the PHB) published before SC were included in it, so mostly don't bother with those. Published after the SC, the biggies are Complete Mage, Scoundrel, and Champion, and PHB2. There are a few gems scattered in other sources, but those are the biggies.

nedz
2015-09-15, 06:49 AM
WotC Publication list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16617440&postcount=761), by date of publication.

As you can see there were quite a few.

Pippin
2015-09-15, 06:55 AM
Hey, I've made a rather complete list of Wizard/Sorcerer spells. You can find it in the thread linked in my signature. Feel free to make some comments as well :smallsmile: