PDA

View Full Version : Contest Blend-&-Brew Battle #1: The Paladin (PF)

enderlord99
2015-09-14, 10:16 PM
Hello, folks, and welcome to Blend-&-Brew Battle! In this event, folks compete to reforge a particular class by taking existing Archetypes and blending them together in ways that wouldn't normally be possible. As for why they wouldn't normally be possible, that would generally be because they replace or alter the same class feature. How are we to get around this for the contest, I hear nobody ask because I'm typing this alone in my room? Well, the answer is a bit silly-sounding: gestalt the class with itself. Normally, this wouldn't accomplish anything; however, for the purpose of Blend-&-Brew Battle, it means that you have two identical copies of each ability normally possessed by the class, each of which can be swapped out for something else. You can also swap out just one copy of the ability, retaining the other as if that ability weren't traded away at all. Technically, you can also keep both copies the way they are, but that's a total waste because they don't stack; try to keep "wasted" abilities to a minimum. Now, you might be asking: "how is this homebrew?" and the answer is that you're not necessarily going to leave it at that; instead, your next task is to polish it up a little... for example, if you trade one copy of a Smite Evil ability for Smite Chaos, and leave the other as-is, you might want to have them draw from the same pool, rather than being completely separate abilities that were once one.

For this, the debut of Blend-&-Brew Battle, we're going to go with the most medium-sized, least bad knight-in-shining armor: the Paladin.

The contest will close and judging will commence whenever I, the host, feel like closing the contest and beginning to have stuff judged (I'm not good with preset schedules.)

Prince Zahn
2015-09-15, 06:02 AM
Hello, folks, and welcome to Blend-&-Brew Battle! In this event, folks compete to reforge a particular class by taking existing Archetypes and blending them together in ways that wouldn't normally be possible. As for why they wouldn't normally be possible, that would generally be because they replace or alter the same class feature. How are we to get around this for the contest, I hear nobody ask because I'm typing this alone in my room? Well, the answer is a bit silly-sounding: gestalt the class with itself. Normally, this wouldn't accomplish anything; however, for the purpose of Blend-&-Brew Battle, it means that you have two identical copies of each ability normally possessed by the class, each of which can be swapped out for something else. You can also swap out just one copy of the ability, retaining the other as if that ability weren't traded away at all. Technically, you can also keep both copies the way they are, but that's a total waste because they don't stack; try to keep "wasted" abilities to a minimum. Now, you might be asking: "how is this homebrew?" and the answer is that you're not necessarily going to leave it at that; instead, your next task is to polish it up a little... for example, if you trade one copy of a Smite Evil ability for Smite Chaos, and leave the other as-is, you might want to have them draw from the same pool, rather than being completely separate abilities that were once one.

For this, the debut of Blend-&-Brew Battle, we're going to go with the most medium-sized, least bad knight-in-shining armor: the Paladin.

The contest will close and judging will commence whenever I, the host, feel like closing the contest and beginning to have stuff judged (I'm not good with preset schedules.)
This sounds kind of neat!:smallsmile: pitching tentative interest.
Questions: How would you define "polishing" a class? to my understanding, our task is to essentially to reinvent the paladin by mixing and matching archetypes. are there any limitations to that freedom?
on what do you base your judging?
wouldn't "gestalting the class with itself" to afford archetypes imply that the class will have twice as many class feaures? or are we supposed to use the paladin and achetype abilities as a grab bag

enderlord99
2015-09-15, 02:03 PM
This sounds kind of neat!:smallsmile: pitching tentative interest.
Questions: How would you define "polishing" a class?Little tweaks like the one I mentioned in the OP. Also, re-fluffing, if you find it necessary.
to my understanding, our task is to essentially to reinvent the paladin by mixing and matching archetypes.Yes.
are there any limitations to that freedom?You can't trade abilities away three times, because you only have two copies. Also, you need to follow established archetypes, preferably ones available here (d20pfsrd.com).

on what do you base your judging?I'll probably open it up for voting, and people will be able to judge them on whatever basis they want.

wouldn't "gestalting the class with itself" to afford archetypes imply that the class will have twice as many class feaures?Yes.

Prince Zahn
2015-09-16, 07:02 AM
Are there any limitations on the archetype material, or can we use anything and everything archetype in the SRD (which may or may not include 3rd-party materials)?

enderlord99
2015-09-16, 12:25 PM
Are there any limitations on the archetype material, or can we use anything and everything archetype in the SRD (which may or may not include 3rd-party materials)?

Well, it probably goes without saying that it has to be an archetype for the correct class, but other than that, there are no limits.

Aergoth
2015-09-16, 12:45 PM
How are we formatting this? Present the final mash-up of archestalts (gestypes?) like we would any other finished base class? I know what I'd love to see work!

enderlord99
2015-09-16, 01:22 PM
How are we formatting this?Well, first you list which archetypes you used, and then you...
Present the final mash-up of archestalts (gestypes?) like we would any other finished base class?...do exactly what you just said.
I know what I'd love to see work!Great!:smallbiggrin:

Aergoth
2015-09-16, 07:03 PM
Exalted Marshal
The Exalted Marshal is made from a Holy Tactician//Hospitaler/Warrior of the Holy Light fusion. I’ve played a Hospitaler/Warrior of the Holy Light before but giving up the spells is a little much, and you suffer on action economy. Adding Holy Tactician to the mix means that you’ve got a paladin that makes a superb front-line support character. You keep lay on hands and no longer draw on it to channel energy, your power of faith, battlefield presence, guide the battle and spellcasting abilities keep you in the fight if it moves out of melee range.
You’ve got weal’s champion to supplement smite evil against groups of enemies, smite evil to deal with single threats and a divine bond (probably should use weapon) to bolster your melee against non-evil threats, plus exalted marshal makes you a great flanking buddy. The end result is that you function something like a hybrid between cleric and bard, with more murder.
I’ve left off the rules for a mount divine bond intentionally, since I don’t think it fits well, but there’s no reason it couldn’t also exist.

So without further ado STATS! This is a doozy, and I’ve debated folding sections together, but I'm working on seeing which sections can be squished down. Until then the larger sections of rules text are all under a series of spoilers to keep this from eating the page. If I've posted this incorrectly or I'm missing parts of formatting give me a shout and I'll bustle it off elsewhere and fix things!

Smite Evil (Su)
Once per day, a marshal can call out to the powers of good to aid her in her struggle against evil. As a swift action, the marshal chooses one target within sight to smite. If this target is evil, the marshal adds her Cha bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her marshal level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. If the target of smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an evil-aligned dragon, or an undead creature, the bonus to damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per level the marshal possesses. Regardless of the target, smite evil attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess.
In addition, while smite evil is in effect, the marshal gains a deflection bonus equal to her Charisma modifier (if any) to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the marshal targets a creature that is not evil, the smite is wasted with no effect.
The smite evil effect remains until the target of the smite is dead or the next time the marshal rests and regains her uses of this ability. At 7th level, and at every six levels thereafter, the marshal may smite evil one additional time per day. A marshal may also spend two uses of Weal’s Champion to power a use of Smite Evil.

Weal’s Champion (Su)
Once per day as swift action, an exalted marshal can call on the powers of good to aid her against evil. Against evil targets, the exalted marshal gains her Charisma bonus (if any) on her attack rolls against evil creatures, and if she hits, she adds 1/2 her marshal level on her weapon damage rolls as well. These bonuses last for 1 round for every two marshal levels the exalted marshal has attained (minimum 1 round). In addition, for 1 round after the exalted marshal successfully strikes an evil creature, all non-evil allies within 30 feet of her gain a competence bonus on attack rolls equal to 1/2 her Charisma bonus against that creature as well as a +1 competence bonus on damage rolls.
The bonus on damage rolls increases by +1 for every five levels the exalted marshal attains (to a maximum of +5 at 20th level). She can grant this bonus against more than one creature at a time. To gain this benefit, the exalted marshal’s allies must be able to see or hear her, and she must be conscious.
At 4th level, and every three levels thereafter, the exalted marshal may use weal’s champion one additional time per day (to a maximum of seven times per day at 19th level). A marshal may spend two uses of Smite Evil to power a use of Weal’s Champion.

Divine Grace (Su)
At 2nd level, a marshal gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all Saving Throws.

Lay On Hands (Su)
Beginning at 2nd level, a marshal can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day she can use this ability a number of times equal to 1/2 her marshal level plus her Charisma modifier. With one use of this ability, a marshal can heal 1d6 hit points of damage for every two marshal levels she possesses. Using this ability is a standard action, unless the marshal targets herself, in which case it is a swift action. Despite the name of this ability, a marshal only needs one free hand to use this ability.
Alternatively, a marshal can use this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures, dealing 1d6 points of damage for every two levels the marshal possesses. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. Undead do not receive a saving throw against this damage.

Tactical Acumen (Ex)
At 3rd level, an exalted marshal gains a teamwork feat as a bonus feat. She must meet the prerequisites for this feat. She gains an additional bonus feat for every four levels attained after 3rd, to a maximum of five bonus feats at 19th level.

Aura of Courage (Su)
At 3rd level, a marshal is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions only while the marshal is conscious, not if she is unconscious or dead.

Battlefield Presence (Su)
At 3rd level, a marshal can direct her allies in battle, granting each ally within 30 feet one teamwork feat she possesses as a bonus feat as a standard action. All allies must receive the same feat, but do not need to meet the prerequisites of this bonus feat. This ability does not function if the marshal is flat-footed or unconscious. Allies must be able to see and hear the exalted marshal in order to gain this benefit. Changing the bonus feat granted is a swift action.

Mercy (Su)
At 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter, a marshal can select one mercy. Each mercy adds an effect to the marshal's lay on hands ability. Whenever the marshal uses lay on hands to heal damage to one target, the target also receives the additional effects from all of the mercies possessed by the marshal. A mercy can remove a condition caused by a curse, disease, or poison without curing the affliction. Such conditions return after 1 hour unless the mercy actually removes the affliction that causes the condition.
At 3rd level, the marshal can select from the following initial mercies.

Fatigued: The target is no longer fatigued.
Shaken: The target is no longer shaken.
Sickened: The target is no longer sickened.

At 6th level, a marshal adds the following mercies to the list of those that can be selected.

Dazed: The target is no longer dazed.
Diseased: The marshal's lay on hands ability also acts as remove disease, using the marshal's level as the caster level.
Staggered: The target is no longer staggered, unless the target is at exactly 0 hit points.

At 9th level, a marshal adds the following mercies to the list of those that can be selected.

Cursed: The marshal's lay on hands ability also acts as remove curse, using the marshal's level as the caster level.
Exhausted: The target is no longer exhausted. The marshal must have the fatigue mercy before selecting this mercy.
Frightened: The target is no longer frightened. The marshal must have the shaken mercy before selecting this mercy.
Nauseated: The target is no longer nauseated. The marshal must have the sickened mercy before selecting this mercy.
Poisoned: The marshal's lay on hands ability also acts as neutralize poison, using the marshal's level as the caster level.

At 12th level, a marshal adds the following mercies to the list of those that can be selected.

Blinded: The target is no longer blinded.
Deafened: The target is no longer deafened.
Paralyzed: The target is no longer paralyzed.
Stunned: The target is no longer stunned.

These abilities are cumulative. For example, a 12th-level marshal's lay on hands ability heals 6d6 points of damage and might also cure Fatigued and Exhausted conditions as well as removing diseases and neutralizing poisons. Once a condition or spell effect is chosen, it can't be changed.

Channel Positive Energy (Su)
When a marshal reaches 4th level, she gains the ability to channel positive energy as a cleric equal to her marshal level –3. She can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier. Using this ability does not expend uses of lay on hands, as it does with other marshals.

Power of Faith (Su)
At 4th level, the exalted marshal gains one additional use of her lay on hands ability per day. She gains one additional use of lay on hands per day for every four levels she attains beyond 4th. She can spend a use of her lay on hands ability to call upon the power of her faith as a standard action. This causes a nimbus of light to emanate from the exalted marshal in a 30-foot radius. All allies in this area (including the exalted marshal) receive a +1 morale bonus to AC and on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws against fear as long as they remain in the area of light. This power lasts for 1 minute.

At 8th level, the nimbus of light heals the marshal and her allies, curing of them of 1d4 points of ability damage, as per the spell lesser restoration. A creature can only be healed in this way once per day.
At 12th level, the nimbus of light is treated as daylight for the purposes of affecting creatures with sensitivity to light. In addition, the nimbus grants allies in the area resistance 10 to one type of energy, selected by the exalted marshal when this power is activated.
At 16th level, the nimbus of light grants the exalted marshal and her allies protection from critical hits. There is a 25% chance that critical hits made against the exalted marshal and her allies in the area are instead treated as normal hits. This does not stack with other abilities that grant similar protection (such as light fortification).
At 20th level, the nimbus of light increases in size out to a range of 60 feet. In addition, all of its bonuses increase. The morale bonus to AC and on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws against fear increases to +2. The amount of ability damage healed increases to 2d4. The energy resistance increases to 20 against one energy type. Finally, protection against critical hits increases to 50%.

Spells
Beginning at 4th level, a marshal gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells which are drawn from the marshal spell list. A marshal must choose and prepare her spells in advance. Through 3rd level, a marshal has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, her caster level is equal to her marshal level – 3.

To prepare or cast a spell, a marshal must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a marshal's spell is 10 + the spell level + the marshal's Charisma modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a marshal can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Charisma score
A marshal must spend 1 hour each day in quiet prayer and meditation to regain her daily allotment of spells. A marshal may prepare and cast any spell on the marshal spell list, provided that she can cast spells of that level, but she must choose which spells to prepare during her daily meditation.

Divine Bond (Sp)
Upon reaching 5th level, a marshal forms a divine bond with her god.
This bond allows the marshal to enhance her weapon as a standard action by calling upon the aid of a celestial spirit for 1 minute per marshal level. When called, the spirit causes the weapon to shed light as a torch. At 5th level, this spirit grants the weapon a +1 enhancement bonus. For every three levels beyond 5th, the weapon gains another +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +6 at 20th level. These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon bonuses to a maximum of +5, or they can be used to add any of the following weapon properties: axiomatic, brilliant energy, defending, disruption, flaming, flaming burst, holy, keen, merciful, and speed. Adding these properties consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property's cost. These bonuses are added to any properties the weapon already has, but duplicate abilities do not stack.
If the weapon is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before any other properties can be added. The bonus and properties granted by the spirit are determined when the spirit is called and cannot be changed until the spirit is called again. The celestial spirit imparts no bonuses if the weapon is held by anyone other than the marshal but resumes giving bonuses if returned to the marshal. These bonuses apply to only one end of a double weapon. A marshal can use this ability once per day at 5th level, and one additional time per day for every four levels beyond 5th, to a total of four times per day at 17th level.
If a weapon bonded with a celestial spirit is destroyed, the marshal loses the use of this ability for 30 days, or until she gains a level, whichever comes first. During this 30-day period, the marshal takes a –1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls.

Guide the Battle (Ex)
At 8th level, the marshal can direct her allies into an advantageous position once per round as a move action. Each ally (if physically able to) can move 5 feet without expending an action. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The allies must be able to see or hear the marshal in order to make this movement and cannot be flat-footed. At 15th level, her allies can make this 5-foot move and ignore difficult terrain.

Aura of Resolve (Su)
At 8th level, a marshal is immune to charm spells and spell-like abilities. Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against charm effects.
This ability functions only while the marshal is conscious, not if she is unconscious or dead.

Aura of Healing (Su)
At 11th level, a marshal can expend one use of her channel positive energy ability to emit a 30-foot aura of healing for a number of rounds equal to her marshal level. Allies in this aura (including the marshal) automatically stabilize if below 0 hit points and are immune to bleed damage. In addition, allies (including the marshal) that spend at least 1 full round inside the aura are healed an amount of damage equal to their total number of Hit Dice and may make a saving throw against any afflictions they are suffering from, such as a curse, disease, or poison. This saving throw only counts toward curing the affliction and does not impose any penalty on a failed save. Allies can only be healed once by a use of this ability and they can only attempt additional saving throws once per day, even if they are exposed to this aura multiple times.

Weal’s Wrath (Su)
At 11th level, a marshal can expend two uses of her weal’s champion ability at once to enhance its effects. This functions as weal’s champion, except the bonus she provides to her allies lasts until each creature she strikes is slain, her weal’s champion ability expires, or the marshal herself is slain or knocked unconscious, whichever happens first.

Shining Light (Su)
At 14th level, an exalted marshal can unleash a 30-foot burst of pure, white light as a standard action. Evil creatures within this burst take 1d6 points of damage for every two marshal levels and are blinded for 1 round. Evil dragons, evil outsiders, and evil undead are blinded for 1d4 rounds on a failed save. A Reflex save halves this damage and negates the blindness. The DC of this save is equal to 10 + 1/2 the exalted marshal’s level + the exalted marshal’s Charisma modifier. Good creatures within this burst are healed 1d6 points of damage per two marshal levels and receive a +2 sacred bonus on ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks for 1 round. An exalted marshal can use this ability once per day at 14th level plus one additional time per day at 17th and 20th levels.

Aura of Faith (Su)
At 14th level, a marshal's weapons are treated as good-aligned for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction. Any attack made against an enemy within 10 feet of her is treated as good-aligned for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction.
This ability functions only while the marshal is conscious, not if she is unconscious or dead.

Aura of Righteousness (Su)
At 17th level, a marshal gains DR 5/evil and immunity to compulsion spells and spell-like abilities. Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against compulsion effects.

Divine Banner(Su)
At 20th level, a marshal becomes a conduit for the power of her god. Her DR increases to 10/evil. Whenever she uses smite evil and successfully strikes an evil outsider, the outsider is also subject to a banishment, using her marshal level as the caster level (her weapon and holy symbol automatically count as objects that the subject hates). After the banishment effect and the damage from the attack is resolved, the smite immediately ends. In addition, whenever she channels positive energy or uses lay on hands to heal a creature, she heals the maximum possible amount.
A marshal also gains the ability to grant a different bonus feat to each ally affected by her battlefield presence. In addition, all critical threats made by her and her allies against creatures affected by her weal’s champion ability are automatically confirmed (no confirmation roll is needed).