PDA

View Full Version : Help With An Orc Warlord

TypoNinja
2015-09-15, 02:27 AM
So, randomly on game day my group departed from the scheduled game and we all made Orc's. Its a party of Orcs. We're Evil. We're doing... I'm not sure. We didn't put much thought into it. I decided however that screw it, if I was gonna be an Orc, I was gonna be an ORC.

So I want Orc Warlord, raise me a horde, pillage everything. I want even the Zerg to wonder where the hell that many bodies comes from.

I'm injecting some silly into it. I've blown a feat on Ballista Proficiency, I plan to get one enchanted with sizing, so I can shrink it to carry around, then set up and blow the **** out of something that declines to come into ax range. Add Splitting once I'm rich enough.

I've done some poking around for Classes, well mostly PrC's. I've one level of barbo to meet the Orc Warlords requirements, I'm current taking Orc Paragon levels. Plan on taking Legendary Leader, but I'm still on the fence about War Chief, is the bonus worth causing damage to all my followers? If it is, I should probably blow a feat on Fanatical Devotion so I don't take the penalty for getting followers killed.

For feats, I'm obviously looking at Leadership, Might Makes Right, Extra Followers, Assemble the Horde. I think I'll need to blow a feat on Iron Will to get into Legendary Leader. Is Class Champion Worth it for two extra of my highest level followers?

Am I on the right track here so far? Anything I've over looked? I'm looking to maximize the size of my army and buffs to it. Bonus points, its an all Orc party and an all Orc army, so stuff like Blood of the Warlord works on everything.

torrasque666
2015-09-15, 02:44 AM
I think you want Orks rather than Orcs.

TypoNinja
2015-09-15, 03:04 AM
While More DAKKA would be amusing too, I decided to go with the Orc Horde this time :D

Vhaidara
2015-09-15, 05:46 AM
How does Might Makes Right interact with rage? You get angry and more boyz show up? And your cohort levels? I smell abuse here...

So, when you start, rage. Send in the new guys first. When they die, end rage and rage again.

Hamste
2015-09-15, 06:14 AM
How does Might Makes Right interact with rage? You get angry and more boyz show up? And your cohort levels? I smell abuse here...

So, when you start, rage. Send in the new guys first. When they die, end rage and rage again.

If it happens like that you don't even need to rage. Your boys die and the suddenly you have less than maximum and more show up.

TypoNinja
2015-09-15, 01:01 PM
How does Might Makes Right interact with rage?

It wouldn't since you'd need 1d4 months to attract new followers based on your new leadership score.

DrMotives
2015-09-15, 01:56 PM
You shouldn't need a feat on ballista proficiency. It's literally a Huge heavy crossbow on a mount. So, simple weapon (heavy crossbow), medium characters have a -4 penalty due to wrong size to use it. A Goliath would fight better with it, but meh. That's per the DMG by the way.

gorfnab
2015-09-16, 01:10 AM
You shouldn't need a feat on ballista proficiency. It's literally a Huge heavy crossbow on a mount. So, simple weapon (heavy crossbow), medium characters have a -4 penalty due to wrong size to use it. A Goliath would fight better with it, but meh. That's per the DMG by the way.
The way I like to do it is a level of Exoticist Fighter (Dragon #310, best option) or a level of Feat Rogue (UA, alternative option) with the bonus feat spent on EWP: Great Crossbow, either one works but what you need out of this is proficiency in Hand Crossbow and Great Crossbow. Take the feat Hand Crossbow Focus (DoTU) and buy a +X Aptitude Great Crossbow. Slightly cheesy interpretation leads to a character with these feats and weapon able to use a Great Crossbow for iterative attacks.

TypoNinja
2015-09-16, 04:01 PM
The way I like to do it is a level of Exoticist Fighter (Dragon #310, best option) or a level of Feat Rogue (UA, alternative option) with the bonus feat spent on EWP: Great Crossbow, either one works but what you need out of this is proficiency in Hand Crossbow and Great Crossbow. Take the feat Hand Crossbow Focus (DoTU) and buy a +X Aptitude Great Crossbow. Slightly cheesy interpretation leads to a character with these feats and weapon able to use a Great Crossbow for iterative attacks.

Amusing, but I was looking more for help on maximizing followers than with the ballista.

turbo164
2015-09-16, 04:17 PM
Might want some Marshal levels in there to 'elp da Boyz wid a proper WAAAUGH!

justiceforall
2015-09-16, 10:18 PM
Warchanter or Draconic Auras of interest?

TypoNinja
2015-09-17, 06:16 AM
Warchanter or Draconic Auras of interest?

Not interested in going bard, definitely a hulk smash type of character, the Draconic Auras looks nice though, thanks for pointing me at em.

justiceforall
2015-09-17, 07:48 PM
Not interested in going bard

Well you only need one level of bard to qualify, but at least one of the other prerequisites might be pretty annoying for an Orc to pick up (Combat Expertise).

I think the Draconic Auras is cooler anyway. You can do the whole "I, Murrtok the Defiler (or insert dramatic Orc name here), Son of the Dragon shall pillage your lands!" schtick :).