PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Corpse

Milo the Gnome
2015-09-15, 10:21 AM
There's either a feat or a spell that allows that when the subject dies, their body explodes.

What the heck is it??!

For a PC to use on themselves, it's a funny final "screw you!" to whatever killed you at the expense of being resurrected.
To potentially use on undead mooks, if the spell allows, this could be evil delicious fun for a DM.

Any and all help appreciated for this novice DM.

Thanks!

erok0809
2015-09-15, 10:27 AM
There's a spell called Death Throes, I believe in the Spell Compendium, that does something like that, I think.

Also, Libris Mortis has the feat Destruction Retribution, which requires Corpsecrafter, but it makes undead that you create explode on their destruction.

Milo the Gnome
2015-09-15, 10:31 AM
THANKS!!

Gr, the range is personal and the duration is 1 round/level.

Uncle Pine
2015-09-15, 10:36 AM
Death Throes (Spell Compendium 60) is a spell that let you do that on yourself (or others, if you have a spellblade of that on hand).
Destruction Retribution (Libris Mortis 26) is a feat that lets your personally built undead minions do that.
Final Strike (Savage Species 34) is a feat that lets you do that if you have the acid, air, cold, earth, electricity, fire, or water subtype.

Darrin
2015-09-15, 12:08 PM
THANKS!!

Gr, the range is personal and the duration is 1 round/level.

You can get around that via Greater Glyph Seal (4000 GP, MIC), Skull Talisman (Frostburn), or Channel Spell shenanigans (Ordained Champion, Spellsword, or Duskblade).

The fatal flame spell (Complete Scoundrel) does something similar, but isn't nearly so impressive.

My Onnedad Kairdwen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17753375&postcount=323) build used Spellsword to Multiple Channel transcend mortality and death throes. Your opponent gets one glorious round and then... *KABOOM*.

Thurbane
2015-09-15, 04:41 PM
Death Throes (Spell Compendium 60) is a spell that let you do that on yourself (or others, if you have a spellblade of that on hand).
Destruction Retribution (Libris Mortis 26) is a feat that lets your personally built undead minions do that.
Final Strike (Savage Species 34) is a feat that lets you do that if you have the acid, air, cold, earth, electricity, fire, or water subtype.
If you get a creature with an elemental subtype, turn it into a Bone Creature, and it has Cleric levels, you can have all three! :smallbiggrin:

Although due to the wording of Death Throes, may not work for undead or constructs.

Milo the Gnome
2015-09-16, 11:45 AM
The idea, after this board's awesome help, is now for a necromancer to make a great deal of zombie minions using the Corpsecrafter feat and Destruction Retribution. Put them all in a series of rooms and close the doors. Leave that dungeon then dismiss control of the zombies. A fun surprise for whomever happens to come along thereafter.

BRKNdevil
2015-09-16, 08:19 PM
Remember to get the metamagic fell animate, Also from Libris Mortis, in order to get super cheap undead. dread necromancer gets the highest cap for dead bodies with this when you hit 4+cha mod per class level at 8 and probably decide to prestige out of it for +4 for every level after that. I've wanted to do this for a evil campaign, but none of the dm's I trust want to do an evil campaign where I can siege towns with their own townsfolk and rats. Campaigns like the video Blackguards, but pure evil no.

Vaz
2015-09-17, 05:45 AM
Aren't they negative energy damage explosions as well, so that you can heal your more powerful monsters? Like you send an Animate Dread Warrior in, followed by a storm of crows who divebomb enemies and the Dread Warrior whenever it gets injured to heal it.

But yes, the Divebomb Necromancer Zhentarim Skymage is one of those builds i'd love to run, a bit like a Save game trick build.

Bonzai
2015-09-17, 06:07 PM
Destruction retribution is fun. Raise a bunch of fine sized tree frogs or other mundane creature. Kill them. You can animate 8 fine zombies/skeletons per hd. Destruction retribution does a minimum of 1d6 each. Cast haunt shift (up to 20hd per casting)and store 160 of them on a coin. Toss a coin at the opponent, out pops the zombies, chase with a fire ball. 160d6 negative energy in a 10ft radius.

This thread gave me another idea. Flame skulls are undead in Lost Empires of Faerun. 4hd, can be made with create undead, and regenerate if destroyed. Create with destruction retribution feat. Spell stitch them with the final blow spell. You get a renewable komakazi undead with nice spell like abilities, and will explode upon being destroyed dealing 4d8 untyped damage with no save, and 4d6 negative energy damage, reflex for half. It comes back an hour latter, and will be ready to do it again.

Milo the Gnome
2015-09-21, 11:57 AM
"Remember to get the metamagic fell animate"

"renewable komakazi undead with nice spell like abilities, and will explode upon being destroyed dealing 4d8 untyped damage with no save, and 4d6 negative energy damage, reflex for half. It comes back an hour latter, and will be ready to do it again."

Hard to work into a campaign as a character. But for the endless evil wizards who make the dungeons every adventurer spends their career spelunking, this is so fun I can't think of a reason this wouldn't be standard.

g3taso
2015-09-21, 12:30 PM
Unliving Weapon
(Book of Vile Darkness, p. 108)

{Scrubbed}

Bonzai
2015-09-21, 09:19 PM
Unliving Weapon
(Book of Vile Darkness, p. 108)

{Scrubbed}

Sweet. I can add that to the above mentioned flame skull for an extra 2d6 hd of untyped damage. The long duration is nice too.

GilesTheCleric
2015-09-21, 09:24 PM
Don't forget that the only OGL content is material posted on d20srd; all other Dnd game rules are copyrighted.

ShurikVch
2015-09-22, 04:52 AM
Graveborn Warrior - feat from Dragon #312 - allow to give undead you creating a bonus feat (if qualify for it)
Final Strike required only some elemental subtype...