PDA

View Full Version : How fast can you turn, when using Detect Magic?

SangoProduction
2015-09-15, 01:27 PM
We are currently playing by post, because the DM won't be able to make it next session, and we are kinda split up because we blundered the situation.
So, I'm currently invisible in a room with a magic user, while my ally is tied up, and about to be taken *somewhere*. I could leave the room, and risk them doing something that I can't see, but I'll be free from the risk of them spotting me (which would be exceptionally bad).
Or, I thought I could try and stay behind the caster as she scans with some hide and move silently checks. My question is: Is this even possible (because you can turn an infinite amount in a round, by raw [of course, logically, you can't, but still, is it an argument?]), or is it beyond easy (because you have to reconcentrate for each section that you try and scan, thus putting no real pressure on me, letting me take 10 on the checks), or would it be kinda standard because you only have to concentrate once, and then turn around at a reasonable pace?

I have no idea of the validity of the arguments I made, but those are about the only ones I could come up with.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-15, 02:17 PM
You need 1 round to study each area, so you can turn to a new area (if you find no magical auras) each round.

SangoProduction
2015-09-15, 02:40 PM
You need 1 round to study each area, so you can turn to a new area (if you find no magical auras) each round.

That's what I thought too, but I really needed confirmation, thanks.

Stegyre
2015-09-15, 06:03 PM
That's what I thought too, but I really needed confirmation, thanks.
That's it: by RAW, you only get information by studying an area for at least one round. If you could simply spin in place, the area of effect would not be a cone but a circle.

SangoProduction
2015-09-15, 06:41 PM
That's it: by RAW, you only get information by studying an area for at least one round. If you could simply spin in place, the area of effect would not be a cone but a circle.

EDIT: Oh, ok. Misunderstood. So, you can't just spin and let the area be all around you.

Psyren
2015-09-15, 07:42 PM
For "spin in place" identification, use Arcane Sight. (Which you don't have to spin with anyway.)

Crake
2015-09-15, 08:38 PM
For "spin in place" identification, use Arcane Sight. (Which you don't have to spin with anyway.)

Sculpt spell also works in this regard, though the range is reduced haha.

SangoProduction
2015-09-15, 11:02 PM
Good suggestions. I kinda hate that the DM now knows of them, but still nice, lol.