PDA

View Full Version : DM Help tribes setting

kagetorashizuma
2015-09-15, 01:46 PM
hello all,

im going to bee a dm for the first time so i kinda stuck with this i wanne make a world with no city but only tribes but i have no idea exsept that do anyone now something fun with its idea i know i wanne make them there own tribe nut thats it. and with books are smart to use??

thanks already

ComaVision
2015-09-15, 01:52 PM
Use all the books that you're comfortable with using.

There's an infinite amount of ideas you could use for the campaign. Maybe there's an outside force (big monster, foreign army) and the PCs have to bring the tribes together to fight it. Maybe the PCs kill the chiefteins of the other tribes and take over all the land. Maybe tribes start disappearing and the PCs need to find out why. Maybe the PCs find an evil artifact and have to travel the ends of the earth to throw it over.

Tvtyrant
2015-09-15, 02:22 PM
One of the large aspects of tribes is that they often specialize in certain types of hunting, agriculture and gathering. This leads to overlapping territories, like a horse tribe which has to graze in the uplands in the summer but those are owned by a sedentary farming group. They have an uneasy alliance which threatens to break into violence if anything goes wrong, like the elaborate gift giving ceremony that occurs when the horse tribe arrives.

Fouredged Sword
2015-09-15, 02:28 PM
Ok, here is what I suggest. Use all the crunch (the rules and such) from all the books you feel you have reviewed and are comfortable bringing in. There is no reason to change the rules of the game around to work with what is essentially a setting.

Replace metal with bone/wood/obsidian for all non-masterwork items. Metal items are all masterwork. Metalwork takes lots of heavy resources that require staying stationary for extended times to gather. This makes it rare. This will ignore 99% of all player issues as everyone is rocking masterwork everything by the end of level 1.

Finding a tribe may be hard, as they move around. A survival check should point you in the direction of a tribe you know though, or a knowledge local check.

Survival in 3.5 is easy. DC 10 survival checks feed a hunter gather for a day. That means that if almost everyone takes 10 and puts in 4 ranks, even low wis characters can hit a 12. Tribes move around to stay in good hunting / foraging land and to stay near water. People group together to be safe from monsters.

nedz
2015-09-15, 07:06 PM
Are your tribes literate ?
If not then that limits the players options.

Have the invented the Wheel ?

Do they have metal working ?
If so: how advanced ?

How do they survive ?
Food, Water, Clothing and Tools ?

What are their religions: Shamanism or Gods ?

kagetorashizuma
2015-09-16, 03:32 PM
Use all the books that you're comfortable with using.

There's an infinite amount of ideas you could use for the campaign. Maybe there's an outside force (big monster, foreign army) and the PCs have to bring the tribes together to fight it. Maybe the PCs kill the chiefteins of the other tribes and take over all the land. Maybe tribes start disappearing and the PCs need to find out why. Maybe the PCs find an evil artifact and have to travel the ends of the earth to throw it over.

i want the, to make a tribe of there own zo there have to grow in numbers and need the tribe to survie and defend there tribe

SwordChucks
2015-09-16, 06:20 PM
I recently had an adventure involving tribes in a spelljammer campaign. Two months before the party arrived on the planet another ship had crashed and the only survivor was a snobby guy with a musket and full plate.

One of the tribes worshiped him as a god and he was leading that tribe in a war against the others. That tribe had the advantage because the "Shiny man" taught them how to make steel weapons.

The players showed up, and being adventurers: killed the Shiny man, took his stuff, trained the tribes people in better ways to survive their world, repaired their own ship, and took off.

I don't know if that idea interests you but feel free to take whatever you like from it.

kagetorashizuma
2015-09-17, 02:36 AM
I recently had an adventure involving tribes in a spelljammer campaign. Two months before the party arrived on the planet another ship had crashed and the only survivor was a snobby guy with a musket and full plate.

One of the tribes worshiped him as a god and he was leading that tribe in a war against the others. That tribe had the advantage because the "Shiny man" taught them how to make steel weapons.

The players showed up, and being adventurers: killed the Shiny man, took his stuff, trained the tribes people in better ways to survive their world, repaired their own ship, and took off.

I don't know if that idea interests you but feel free to take whatever you like from it.

i like the idea i will safe it for later in the camping or when the party mabye die thanks it's a lovely idea.

Honest Tiefling
2015-09-17, 11:13 AM
Give them their own taboos and customs. Perhaps these tribes are matrilineal (spelling?), so when on friendly terms with the party's tribe, they keep throwing trying to entice eligible menfolk with particular skills over to their side. A taboo against marrying within one's own tribe would force the tribes to constantly interact with one another to ensure the next generation, and provide plothooks in terms of protecting various bridegrooms on their way to their new bride and interfering with match making.

You should also define shamans, and I'd suggest either changing the cleric or looking into alternatives for it. Are these tribes ruled by elders, the strongest warrior, shamans, or what?

kagetorashizuma
2015-09-18, 06:43 AM
Give them their own taboos and customs. Perhaps these tribes are matrilineal (spelling?), so when on friendly terms with the party's tribe, they keep throwing trying to entice eligible menfolk with particular skills over to their side. A taboo against marrying within one's own tribe would force the tribes to constantly interact with one another to ensure the next generation, and provide plothooks in terms of protecting various bridegrooms on their way to their new bride and interfering with match making.

You should also define shamans, and I'd suggest either changing the cleric or looking into alternatives for it. Are these tribes ruled by elders, the strongest warrior, shamans, or what?

i think im gonna do a form in difrent way's you ruled the tribe