PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spell "prayer" : ally/enemy

Fran-Solo
2015-09-15, 03:24 PM
Hello everyone!

I've got a question. It's maybe stupid but i can't find a clear answer.

Let's imagine that i'm a cleric and i cast prayer over my party + group of ennemies. My allies get the +1, the enemies the -1. BUT one of my allies is a frenzied berserker (yeah, i know ... :smallfrown: ). Once we defeated the foes, he ofc turns against us.
Does he keep the +1 as former ally, does he loose it or does he get the -1 ?

Thanks a lot and please forgive my poor english :smalleek:

Afgncaap5
2015-09-15, 04:03 PM
My guess is that he'd take the -1.

If that's what the god you called upon with the Prayer spell would want, at least. I can't think of a situation where it wouldn't make sense to say that the barbarian suddenly becomes your "enemy" in that situation.

Thurbane
2015-09-15, 05:18 PM
I believe the spell would only check his status at the time of casting, so I assume he'd retain the bonus.

KillianHawkeye
2015-09-15, 05:28 PM
I believe the spell would only check his status at the time of casting, so I assume he'd retain the bonus.

I agree with Thurbane.

Morof Stonehands
2015-09-15, 09:35 PM
But if a new enemy were to enter the radius of the spell after the casting, he would get the -1 penalty, even though he wasn't checked at the time of casting, and likewise with a new ally. So it could make sense that it is always checking to see who is an enemy and who isn't, which means the now turned against you berserker would get the -1 penalty.

ericgrau
2015-09-15, 09:52 PM
But if a new enemy were to enter the radius of the spell after the casting, he would get the -1 penalty, even though he wasn't checked at the time of casting, and likewise with a new ally. So it could make sense that it is always checking to see who is an enemy and who isn't, which means the now turned against you berserker would get the -1 penalty.

It's a burst not an emanation so I believe it only happens at the time of casting. And continues to affect even those that leave the original area later, while not affecting those who enter it later. Like a paint explosion everyone nearby gets tagged and the effect only depends on who was in the initial blast.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-15, 09:54 PM

That's actually incorrect. Under the Duration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration)section of Spell Descriptions you will note that a spell that affects creatures directly (such as giving them a +1 bonus or -1 penalty) travel with the creatures. So the creatures affected when the spell is initially cast continue to be affected even if they move out of the radius. In this case, the spell only checks when cast and the berserker would still have the +1 bonus.

Morof Stonehands
2015-09-15, 11:10 PM
It's a burst not an emanation so I believe it only happens at the time of casting. And continues to affect even those that leave the original area later, while not affecting those who enter it later. Like a paint explosion everyone nearby gets tagged and the effect only depends on who was in the initial blast.

That's actually incorrect. Under the Duration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration)section of Spell Descriptions you will note that a spell that affects creatures directly (such as giving them a +1 bonus or -1 penalty) travel with the creatures. So the creatures affected when the spell is initially cast continue to be affected even if they move out of the radius. In this case, the spell only checks when cast and the berserker would still have the +1 bonus.

Well, today I learned! Thanks for the correction. That does make a lot of sense.

Fran-Solo
2015-09-16, 05:36 AM
Thanks a lot for your help ! My DM, as always, was right :smallsigh:

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-16, 08:43 AM
My DM, as always, was right :smallsigh:

That's actually a rule! ;)