PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Mundane Items

FocusWolf413
2015-09-15, 06:54 PM
What are your favorite mundane items for low level characters? I'm counting alchemical items and poisons.

Personally, I don't think any adventurer can travel without at least 200 feet of rope. It just has so many uses. You can tie up your enemies, tie up your friends, climb, sell it to dragons, set up traps, or do whatever you want.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-15, 08:49 PM
Secrets of Sarlona's explosive packs. Non-magical boom for triple digit gp costs? Hells yeah!

Alex12
2015-09-15, 09:01 PM
I'm a big fan of the strong and wyrm ditherbombs, myself. Alchemical items, basically acid grenades, that ignore the hardness of stone. The real fun, though, is how much damage they do. A strong ditherbomb deals 1d4*1d6 damage, while a wyrm ditherbomb deals 1d6*1d8 damage. I find it entirely reasonable to roll one of those dice to determine how many of the other kind of dice you're rolling. Roll an 8 on your wyrm ditherbomb? Then roll 8d6 to see how much damage you did.

Admittedly, they aren't super-useful, but the idea is fun.

In terms of favorite in the sense of "things I always get for a level 1 character" probably masterwork backpack and rope. Whetstones are pretty neat too, if I'm a sword-user.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-15, 09:07 PM
Gotta love the Masterwork Tools and Skill Kits for your low-level skill monkeys. Anything that gives out that +2 circumstance bonus should find its way into a low-level adventurer's pack.

Hiro Quester
2015-09-15, 09:11 PM
Well, armor and weapons, obviously. But I expect you are excluding the basic equipment every character of a particular class or role needs (melee type's weapon and armor, Bard's musical instrument, Healer's holy symbol).

I'd have to say masterwork tools for the skills (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?208635-So-how-have-you-fluffed-your-Masterwork-tools) your character needs to maximize are right up there on the list of things my PC will usually buy at low levels.

Edit: Swordsaged.

FocusWolf413
2015-09-15, 10:12 PM
(Cool ditherbomb stuff)

What book are ditherbombs in? They sound really cool.

If it helps, I'm a ranger with about 500gp left to spend. I already have the basics, like fire, acid, dust grenades, and the necessary masterwork tools.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-15, 10:22 PM
What book are ditherbombs in? They sound really cool.

If it helps, I'm a ranger with about 500gp left to spend. I already have the basics, like fire, acid, dust grenades, and the necessary masterwork tools.

Races of the Dragon in the kobold chapter.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-15, 10:23 PM

Well, if you are a ranger you might want to take a look in Races of the Wild. The various arrows (pp. 163-164) and the Forestwarden Shroud (p.167) might be worth consideration.

Azoth
2015-09-15, 10:27 PM
If you need mundane items, check with our buddy Shax.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)

FocusWolf413
2015-09-15, 10:51 PM
Races of the Dragon in the kobold chapter.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Well, if you are a ranger you might want to take a look in Races of the Wild. The various arrows (pp. 163-164) and the Forestwarden Shroud (p.167) might be worth consideration.

Thanks for reminding me to look at that one more time. I completely forgot to get blunt arrows.

ahenobarbi
2015-09-16, 04:44 AM
Potion belt (masterwork) for low, low price of 60gp it lets you drink a potion as a *free* action once a round.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-16, 05:20 AM
They're not necessarily cheap enough for low level characters but the devices made by a gnomish artificer (Magic of Faerun) produce some nifty effects without using magic, mostly. There's nothing that actually prevents someone other than the artificer from using them, at all.