PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Maneuvers

Gamereaper
2015-09-15, 07:01 PM
Is there a way for a non initiator non psionic character to recover maneuvers for more than once an encounter. I know about the Sudden Recovery feat, but I was wondering if there is more.

Theodred theOld
2015-09-15, 08:23 PM
One level of swordsage, warblade or crusader would do the trick.

Psyren
2015-09-15, 08:24 PM

He wouldn't exactly be a "non-initiator" then though :smalltongue:

Theodred theOld
2015-09-15, 08:42 PM
I stand by my answer. :P

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-15, 09:01 PM
This also won't help for maneuvers already learned through Martial Study either.

The only methods of which I am aware to recover a maneuver learned through Martial Study during an encounter are:
To already have a level in a Martial Adept Class when you gain the maneuver.
The Sudden Recovery feat.
The Psychic Renewal feat.
2 levels of Ruby Knight Vindicator (which can technically be entered with the feats Martial Study and Martial Stance) will give you Divine Recovery (expend a Turn/Rebuke attempt to recover a maneuver) .

Theodred theOld
2015-09-15, 11:01 PM
I no longer stand by my answer. But seriously, take the dip in swordsage or warblade and never look back. Unless you're giving up a caster level or wildshape it's totally worth it.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-15, 11:11 PM
I no longer stand by my answer. But seriously, take the dip in swordsage or warblade and never look back. Unless you're giving up a caster level or wildshape it's totally worth it.
I absolutely cannot think of any 20-level class that pays off better for that 1 level dip than any of the three Martial Adept classes.

Red Fel
2015-09-16, 07:09 AM
I absolutely cannot think of any 20-level class that pays off better for that 1 level dip than any of the three Martial Adept classes.

Incarnum says hi.

But yeah, I agree with Theodred. Grab a one-level initiator dip.

Gamereaper
2015-09-16, 08:10 AM
Incarnum says hi.

But yeah, I agree with Theodred. Grab a one-level initiator dip.

XP penalty BS. :(

Psyren
2015-09-16, 08:28 AM

If you're human and not multiclassing further (or you are multiclassing but the other two classes are very close to one another) then there won't be one.

(The DM shouldn't be enforcing this anyway, it's a crappy system.)

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-16, 08:39 AM
To anyone playing with a DM who uses XP penalties I highly recommend this build. It is apparently infinitely powerful:

Halfling Fighter 1, Cleric 1, Wizard 1, Bard 1, Crusader 1, Warblade 3. At this point your halfling is so unbelievably powerful that he actually takes a 100% XP penalty and never needs to level again to keep up with the power of the rest of the party. At 8th level you now have a character capable of taking over the world.

Bring this character into the game and insist on playing it. When he dies build another exactly the same. Remain patient, if you do this enough times sooner or later the DM should see just how stupid XP penalties actually are.