PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Abyss (NON AL) (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

DMBlackhart
2015-09-15, 07:07 PM
CHAPTER 1: ESCAPE FROM VELKYNVELVE

Captured by the drow! You wouldn’t wish this fate upon anyone, yet here you are—locked in a dark cave, the cold, heavy weight of metal tight around your throat and wrists. You are not alone. Other prisoners are trapped in here with you, in an underground outpost far from the light of the sun. Your captors include a cruel drow priestess who calls herself Mistress Ilvara of House Mizzrym. Over the past several days, you’ve met her several times, robed in silken garments and flanked by two male drow, one of whom has a mass of scars along one side of his face and neck. Mistress Ilvara likes to impress her will with scourge in hand and remind you that your life now belongs to her.
“Accept your fate, learn to obey, and you may survive.”
Her words echo in your memory, even as you plot your escape.

Velkynvelve is a high and far Outpost hidden in a vast expanse of natural cavern in the Underdark. Constructed using three closely-formed stalactites, hollowed out to form living space and storage rooms, and connected by the many thick and tough strands of the various breeds of giant spiders. The entire complex is lit poorly by a dim green glow, emanating from iron lanterns strewn about the facility every Sixty feet or so. This impedes the Drow little, due to their natural ability to see in the dark with ease.

The Prison cell is housed in the center-most stalactite of the triplettes, thick, pristinely polished iron bars separate you, fifteen other prisoners, and the fifty-foot diameter chamber from the rest of the Outpost. Currently two guards stand on the other side of the iron gate, polearms in hand and eyes watching closely on the pack of prisoners.
The features of the cage are plain, poorly carved stone floor and walls, even rougher and more jagged ceiling overhead.

(Annnd, have at it!)

hiiamtom
2015-09-15, 07:35 PM
Brama struggles to break his chains once again, hoping today is the day. It's been nearly a month since entering the Underdark, and the tenday of captivity was eating at him.

With a loud sigh, Brama taunts the guard for entertainment having failed to break the dark metal bindings. So bored! Guard, be there any light but green? It clash with my coloration, I want my eyes to pop!

Eldeth gives him a pitty chuckle.

(1d20+6)[7]
Sorry, long day

mmorality
2015-09-15, 07:48 PM
Sitting alone against the back wall, away from the guard, Orla watches the minotaur struggle against his shackles. As she watches, she mumbles to herself, eyes flitting occasionally to the bars, the guards, and back to Brama.

"Accept your fate, learn to obey, and you may survive." Huh, fat chance. Still some distance from proper drow cities, so escape attempt more likely to succeed here than post-sale. Sixteen versus two, good odds, even without weapons. But odds decrease significantly without plan. Final goals: escape the Underdark. Proximate goals: escape cell, escape outpost. But: escaping outpost without supplies is contraindicated. Proximate goals, revised: escape cell, acquire supplies, escape outpost. Difficulty: escape cell - easy; acquire supplies - unknown; escape outpost - unknown. Proximate goals, revised: gather information, escape cell, acquire supplies, escape outpost.

smoke prism
2015-09-15, 07:50 PM
Tinver smiles sadly to him self at the injustice of it all. One day your an academic exploring the unique creature and environments of the underdark, next your a prisoner, being sold to do who knows what.

He sighs and clutches the iron bar he has hidden in his tattered sleeve The feel of iron providing a little solace.

Sighing again he thinks back to when he was captured. I followed all the advice: don't go to far down, take a guide, buy an up to date map and so on and so on.

"Little good it did me" he muttered.

The Drow and there abuse of power is disgusting. The only half decent on I've meet is this Sarith Kzekarit and it took him forever to respond. Not too bad a guy, but to marouse for my liking.

He looks round the cell, observing the two guards. maybe we could overpower them and rush to the nearest exit. To pull of such a suicidal exploit there'd need to be a convincing enough distraction.

Tinver sits there with these thought buzzing in his head like infernal wasps.

Provo
2015-09-15, 08:01 PM
Marus Lancaster 14/14 HP, 11 AC

The minotaur looked utterly exhausted as he struggled with his chains. And yet, even after ten days in this wretched captivity, he still fought against this injustice. Brama was it? Marus was impressed with the the creatures strength, even as Marus was moved to compassion by Brama's desperate struggle.

Marus made his way over to the hulking figure, positioning his body to block the guards view of their shackled hands.
Quiet, quiet Marus shushed, We may yet be able to escape, but it is no use if you hold all their attention... here, perhaps together we can break these.

Marus reached to wrap his hands around Brama's manacled wrists, hoping he might be of some aid to this being's great strength.

OOC: trying to give Brama advantage on his strength check

Estralita
2015-09-15, 08:04 PM
Focus. Focus on what needed to be done. They said learn to obey, so for now, that was what Natali would do. Act like an ordinary defeated prisoner, while learning as much as possible about the area. Starting with the chains keeping them held.

Investigation check:
[roll0]
Examining the chains, looking for weak spots, how difficult the'd be to break, what are they made of, and so on.

Also, I'm guessing she can't do magic. Chains would prevent her from doing the hand gestures. Also, did they take her holy symbol?

smoke prism
2015-09-15, 08:08 PM
Action that's what we need, its better than just sitting here.

He tries to discretely slip the Minotaur the iron bar when he's done assisting with the chains (slight of hand [roll0] ).

He then stands up and dares the guards to fight him or prove they are inferior to slaves (intimidation [roll1].

ooc let's get this show on the rode

smoke prism
2015-09-15, 08:13 PM
use thaumaturgy to make voice booming and therefore gain advantage [roll0] if that's okay ?

mmorality
2015-09-15, 08:26 PM
An impromptu, unplanned escape attempt is better than no escape attempt whatsoever...if only barely. But if this fails, there likely won't be another. Orla grumbles to herself as she heads to assist her fellow captives.

She moves up with the tiefling, attempting to assist him in distracting the guards from the minotaur's efforts.

To be honest, I also expected a little more from the supposedly impressive drow empire! It is well-documented that an over-reliance on slave labor is one of the first signs of imminent civilization collapse. Moral problems aside, are you two so sure you want to be complicit in the destruction of your empire?

Provo
2015-09-15, 08:27 PM
Marus Lancaster 14/14 HP, 11 AC
The prisoners seemed to be getting restless. Perhaps Marus would have a chance to escape sooner than he expected, but he needed to hurry. He didn't want to be bound when the others made their moves.

After his attempt to help Brama, Marus quickly tried his luck at his own chains. Glancing up at the Minotaur, he motioned is if requesting help.

[roll0]
If I can assume I have advantage:[roll1]
And Brama seems to have used athletics or an attack roll. If that is what I'm supposed to be doing, than just add 2

mmorality
2015-09-15, 08:29 PM
Deception to distract the guard? [roll0]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-15, 08:36 PM
Snip

The guards attention turns to the Minotaur as he struggles and fails to break free from his bindings. One of them snickers at the out of place request of the beast.

"Quiet beast, you'll all have a nice change of scenery soon, it's only 'nother hour till you all get put to work again.

Snip

You successfully help Brahma to secret away the metal bar. It'll prove a useful weapon later.

"Quiet down prisoner." they retort unceremoniously.

Snip

"Both of you silence, or you'll get a lashing from The Lady's scourge before you are put to work!"

@All:

Both of the guards seem unphased by the recent ploy, however their attention is now primarily centered on Orla, weapons held firm and standing just out of reach of the bars and any potentially violent prisoners. During these events you see a few of the other prisoners huddling together, talking in hushed tones.

The group seems to be the imposing Quaggoth, the brutish and dim Ork, and the crafty looking Sirvfneblim. What they are whispering about is impossible to tell over the Brama's ruckus.

As Tinver attempts to beckon forth hidden powers and make herself more imposing, she feels a sudden waning, as if there was little magic in the air to be harnessed. (Failure)

mmorality
2015-09-15, 08:48 PM
"Both of you silence, or you'll get a lashing from The Lady's scourge before you are put to work!"

Whatever. Not my empire.

Orla returns to her seat at the back of the cell. She attempts to subtly motion over one of the Sirvfneblim once they have finished talking to see if they have either a plan or information.

Estralita
2015-09-15, 09:17 PM
Natali looked up with a mixture of excitement and apprehension. It looked like some of the other prisoners wanted to take a more active approach to the situation. She turned her attention to the scene in front of her, trying to gauge who was making active attempts to involve themselves in the situation. Potential trouble, or maybe potential allies.

This is beginning to look like an Insight Check. Fortunately, Natali has the same score for either, so the same result would apply if I'm wrong.
[roll0]

hiiamtom
2015-09-15, 10:02 PM
He tries to discretely slip the Minotaur the iron bar when he's done assisting with the chainsBrama leans down to speak softly with the tiefling, I appreciate the thought, but I do not actually need my hands. If I get a clear path to any one of these guards they stand little chance before my charge. If you get in front of me, I might be able to use this to free you. Quick, before the guards look this way.
This is to try and use the bar to free Tinver. If this works I would try on others.
Strength: [roll0]
If there is advantage: [roll1]

For Eldeth the same way if possible.
Strength: [roll2]
If there is advantage: [roll3]

darklink_shadow
2015-09-15, 10:12 PM
Franz looked across the room at his friends, the dwarven woman and the little mushroom creature. Telepathically, the human asks his mycoid friend for a favor. <<Tell the nice dwarf to be ready. And then go hide with the others who are talking over there and tell me what they are saying.>>

He is fairly sure his shackles aren't ready to break yet, but that's no matter. He'll be ready anyways. But just in case, he takes the distraction the noisy fools are causing to try to snap open his manacles. But they seemed as sturdy as ever, and it was hard to get in a position to try to break them. Instead he merely waited, a shiv carefully tucked into his palm.

[roll0]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-15, 11:08 PM
With Franz and his shiv at the ready, Stool, the Myconid sprout, rushes off to the others unleashing Rapport spores in a wild frenzy. Eldeth gives you a knowing nod, she too is ready for when all hell breaks loose.

Brahma and Tinver take advantage of the momentary distraction, but while the Iron Bar was an easy trade to attempt, the wavering attention of the guards returns to the brute Minotaur and the infernal Tiefling. The distraction afforded only seconds earlier has worn thin, and with Orla returning to the back of the cage, the guards manage to spot Brahma and Tinver's attempts at freedom.

The sound of tearing and warping iron is heard as the Minotaur's monster-like strength not only tears free Tinver's Collar, but also shatters the Manacles that bound the Tiefling's wrists. With speed and brute force Eldeth is seemingly stampeded by the monster, only to shortly be freed from her own restraints.

"Halt! All of you, disburse and move to the back of the cage. You all will be punished appropriately for breaking your bindings." shouts the first of the two Drow guards. He than turns, and gives a command to his subordinate.
"See to it Lady Illvara knows of this. Fetch more guards and manacles, and bring Jorlan's Wand for the Minotaur.

It's clear to Natali that the group separated in their own huddle was conspiring something. Odds are they are all intending to ally themselves. She can also see, rather clearly, that Eldeth the female shield dwarf is working in consort with the other three currently tearing free their bindings.

Only one guard remains, his Polearm poised to strike from between the bars of the Iron Gate. The other guard has fled into the darkness to fetch reinforcements, and re-bind those who have broken themselves free.

Orla, as you retreat to the back of the cage, are met with Topsy, the female Deep Gnome twin. She comes running over, just as Stool begins his crazed Rapport Spore spray. She sits near you, giving a nod, and than whispering as loud as possible without alerting others,

"We're gonna-" She pauses, watching events unfold, the guard fleeing for reinforcements.
"We WERE gonna make a break out tomorrow, but it looks like the schedule just got moved up. If you got any friends in here, get them ready to make a run for it when the guards return."

mmorality
2015-09-15, 11:24 PM
"We're gonna-" She pauses, watching events unfold, the guard fleeing for reinforcements.
"We WERE gonna make a break out tomorrow, but it looks like the schedule just got moved up. If you got any friends in here, get them ready to make a run for it when the guards return."

Time to fight, then. Give me a hand with these. The academic attempts to break the manacles, her tiny figure revealing corded muscle as she strains.

Strength check to break the manacles: [roll0]
With advantage if Topsy helps (?): [roll1]

If Orla gets her hands free in any way, she'll shoot off a Fire Bolt at the guard if he attempts to use that polearm or gets attacked by any of her friends:
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-15, 11:36 PM
Orla, despite her rippling physique and deep knowledge, proves incapable of tearing her own bindings. However, at the request, Topsy does something truly awesome and with her tiny skin-and-bone arms rips free the Gnome's manacles and collar with an almost bestial roar.

She looks up, holding the heavy iron in her hands like it was crumpled leaves. The Deep Gnome blinks twice, than comes to her senses.
"Uhm... Wow."

smoke prism
2015-09-15, 11:50 PM
Tinver smiles at the minotour that freed him and says "IOU a drink when we get out of here"

He then confidently walked up to the bars and looks at the Drow and speaks. "So the big old scary Drow cant deal with a group of unruly prisoners on the own? Such a shame that the Drows reputation crumbles under a little resistance. Whey don't you come and prove you self ? With that Tinver puffs his chest up to make a target for the gaurd.

With those insults left in the air. Tinver readies for the guard to attack through the bars with his polearm so he can grab it and uses the bars of the cell to either disarm or snap it.

-Intimidation to taunt the gaurd into attacking [roll0]
- Dont know how the second action would go

mmorality
2015-09-16, 12:17 AM
While waiting to unload fiery death, Orla takes a second to examine the guard, in particular trying to discern if he has the gate key on him.

Not sure what this kinda check will end up being, so here's a d20 and a few mods:
[roll0]
+6 investigation
+1 if its perception or insight

DMBlackhart
2015-09-16, 12:25 AM
You all watch as Tinver, the fierce and brave Tiefling, manages an adept movement that allows him to disarm the guard, and shatter his Polearm in one swift motion. With the guard disarmed and reeling from what just happened, you all have an opportunity to make a clean break before the other guards return.

So, all of you who want to actively participate in the jail break roll initiative. If you wanna play it safe, don't roll and stay to the back of the cage.

Also, when I said "reeling", I mean the guard will recover his senses in 1 round. You all get this FIRST ROUND to try and break out, cause a distraction, whatever you can think of to help. But after that, if you haven't broken free, the guard will be forced to take action to keep an outbreak from occuring.
Orla sees a glinting ring with a set of many keys on the guard's belt. With quick hands you may be able to nab them before the guard can recover his senses, and step away from the cage bars.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-16, 12:30 AM
"The dwarf, and the little mushroom fella. Let's go. I got dips on that polearm... Damn it."

Franz walked forward. "Enough! Fellow people, this is the moment you've been planning for! A little ahead of schedule, but once we get out, follow me! I know where the gear is stashed, and I know how to operate the machinery to get us free." With that, he flicks his dagger free and then strains to snap his manacles once more. Successful or not, that drow was going down. He surged towards the foe, holding the knife in one hand, and that hand in his other. As he reached the dazed enemy, he twisted his hands through the bars to grab at the man, and then jerk him towards the eager blade.

Fluff aside, he is within 5ft of me, so I attack him. He might has bonus AC or something from the bars, but oh well. Gotta try!
[roll0] to hit
I don't know what to roll for damage. Maybe [roll1] or [roll2].

mmorality
2015-09-16, 12:51 AM
Orla's hands explode with fire, racing towards the guard. As she fires, she yells GET THE KEYS

(OOC: previous rolls for readied action were 18 to hit and 10 dmg from Fire Bolt.)

initiative: [roll0]

hiiamtom
2015-09-16, 06:29 AM
Brama stands and scrapes his right foot against the ground (like a bull) preparing to charge the gate with new found purpose.

If an option, charge the gate:
Strength (1d20+4)[15]

Initiative: (1d20)[19]

Provo
2015-09-16, 08:26 AM
OOC: Marus has not yet made any offensive actions against the guards. But he is certainly ready to act if he sees an opportunity.

[roll0]

smoke prism
2015-09-16, 10:18 AM
That went better than I thought it would..

He then picks up a shattered fragment of the polearm blade, hoping to use it as a make shift daggers.

Hearing Orla, he reaches to attempt to grab the gaurd keys.

- perception find unable pice of metal [roll0]
- Dex to grab the gaurd keys[roll1]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-16, 02:12 PM
Franz tires with the effort of breaking the thick, iron manacles and instead makes a rush for the dazed guard. Shiv in hand and murder clear on his face, the Drow guard had little chance of surviving this unharmed. In a flash the man's arm shot through the bars, caught the guard on his side, and stuck tight. Blood now soaked Franz' palms.

Despite this, the guard seems standing, if not in bad shape and close to death.

Orla sits dazed for a moment. Where the guard stood, now impaled by the Human's shiv and bleeding, should have been little else but burnt flesh and scorched stone. The spell fizzled, for reasons you can't quite understand, leaving her dumbfounded and distracted.

Brama, with the strength of three men, charges the gate horns first. With a resounding thud and crash the Minotaur has left a reasonable dent in the bars, not enough to escape, but enough to allow better mobility through them.

Marus... chills.

Tinver strike out, using the attack from Franz as good cover to attempt and snatch freedom from the guard's now blood stained belt. Before he can reach them, the bull-beast Brahma crashes into the gate, bending the bars in and allowing more room to maneuver through the bars. With quick reaction and skilled timing Tinver snatches the keys from the bleeding guard and pockets the blood-soaked article in his rags.

Looking to the ground, Tinver also finds a good half of the wood and iron polearm is still intact, and usable as a makeshift sword.

Although it had only been a few seconds since your escape attempt began, you could already hear shouting in the distance. It'd be seconds more before reinforcements arrived.

Provo
2015-09-16, 03:53 PM
Even with his shackles on, Marus knew he had to take this chance. Charging at the cell bars, he attempted to grab the dying guard to pull him closer and knee him in the gut. As he attacked, he grunted towards the others who hadn't joined the Fray yet.

Shuushar, Stool. Now is a chance to escape. Will you help us?

Attack: [roll0]
Diplomacy:[roll1]

mmorality
2015-09-16, 05:05 PM
Slightly confused, Orla mumbles to herself again as she evaluates the situation. Spell failure. Possibilities: user error, arcane dampening field, other options? Evaluate: user error - implausible. Arcane dampening field - likely; effective means of restraining captives, consistent with intelligent species with experience in slave trade such as drow. Other options - unknown. Strategy: adopt 'arcane dampening field' as working hypothesis, re-evaluate in the future. Strategy: escape plausible area of effect of such a field, re-test connection to the Weave.

Get out of here, Orla. She shakes her head and prepares to get involved in the melee.

smoke prism
2015-09-16, 06:48 PM
Tinver glances at his makeshift sword and says. "It'll have to do".

With that he trys to open the cell door and the shackles of the remaining prisoners. using the blood stained key's. As he dose this he yell's "Everyone stick together. Our only chance to make it out of here is to overwhelm them with superior numbers

With that he trys to workout the direction the Drow reinforcements are coming from and trys to track there approach as they follow Brama

Estralita
2015-09-16, 07:03 PM
Yes, the time for caution was definitely past. Unfortunatley, Natali wasn't confident in her own ability to get out of the shackles herself."Are you people planning on leaving the rest of us here to rot?" she called out?

hiiamtom
2015-09-16, 07:14 PM
Well done, lad! Brama sticks his wrists out, Time to return the favor! Those keys make this quick.

Brama peers into the cell, If Ye wish to be slaves stay there, if ye be free men come out and be free Eldeth pokes his ribs Oof! Ladies too of course.

Once free, Brama says Follow me, there be equipment in the barracks. We use that to survive these vile tunnels.

smoke prism
2015-09-16, 07:24 PM
Perception roll: [roll0]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-16, 07:36 PM
Marus gets to the dying, bleeding guard before he has time to fully recover from the reeling blow. With a precise strike the man is now double-over onto the stone floor, blood oozing out at an alarming rate. He's not much longer for guard duty, or much else for that matter.

Natali, Provo, and any of the prisoners that still had their shackles and collars were freed in short order. The key was passed about to each as the rest of you prepared to follow the powerful Minotaur and ruthless Human further into the Drow prison.

Brama leads the charge with Tinver and Eldeth following shortly behind. The rest of the prisoners, for a full compliment of sixteen are perhaps only five or ten feet behind the lead, and the force seems intimidating indeed.

As you all escape the prison cell you feel a mixture of senses and emotions. A chill breeze assaults you, and the rush of water can be heard not far by. Next, those sensitive to the weave feel a rekindling with it, the anti-magical wards are gone from this part of the prison. Lastly, a sense of vertigo begins to set in as you look below.

Just outside of the prison cell is but one rope, wood, and webbed bridge. Held together with fine, white spider silk, rotting dried mushroom plans and frayed and molding rope, the bridge sways dangerously from side to side.
The structure spans almost Sixty-feet (60), leading away from the Stalactite prison, and onto the smooth surface of the cave wall beyond.

Below is a massive net of webs strewn from doubtless thousands of spiders. The net serves partially as cover from those below the outpost, and partially as a place for the reckless to seek refuge should they take an ill step.

While you can not see perfectly across the expansive chasm between yourselves and the prison complex proper, the dim green lighting lets you make out the vaguest of shapes.

From across the bridge comes a uniform of perhaps Ten (10) Drow guards. The reinforcements will meet you on this bridge shortly. Before them however there is a single cavernous opening across the bridge that undoubtedly serves as a mixed barracks and store room. This is the likeliest place your gear has been stowed.

Finally, once across the bridge in full, there is another bridge leading to the east, to the rest of the prison complex, and a small stone catwalk to the west, leading to the lift that leads safely to the ground below.

hiiamtom
2015-09-16, 07:47 PM
Shaking his massive head and bellowing out a loud mooing roar, Brama charges down the way and in the bridge where he meets the first guard with his horns.
Move 30ft
Dash up to 30 more feet
Bonus action attack with horns: [roll0]
Disadvantage depending on light: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Initiative is 12

mmorality
2015-09-16, 08:15 PM
Let's try that again! Orla runs up to a few feet from the edge and calls again upon the Weave, this time feeling the familiar rush of power -- a rush of power that explodes from her hands towards the drow.

Orla casts Fire Bolt at one of the drow. If she can see at this distance that any have ranged weapons, she'll target one of those. Otherwise, she'll target the closest drow.

To hit: [roll0]
2nd roll if I have disadvantage for some reason: [roll1]

Watch your step out there! she calls to those heading onto the bridge.

smoke prism
2015-09-16, 08:21 PM
Tinver's mind and body buzz with excitement. What to do, what to do. Do we charge ? Parlay, not that's usless now. Stand and fight

These thoughts run through his mind in quick succession and he realises that he's more of a liability on the frontline.

Feeling the spark of magic come back to him, Tinver smiles and realises he needs to control the Drow.

Using his THAUMATURGY Tinver amplifies his voice so its audible to all and more intimidating. He bellows "This is Tera, liberator of slaves. Lay down you weapons or face the wrath of those who despise you most".

[I] It might not work, but will at least distract them for a while.
he thought to him self.

Iniative: 14 (I think)
Intimidation: [roll0] ( potential advantage [roll1]

darklink_shadow
2015-09-16, 11:41 PM
Franz gestures to the storeroom. Ah! That's the store room. Push them back! We need real weapons!

Rushing forward, Franz put his little rock shard dagger into the neck of a Drow slaver.

I don't know how many actions I will need to load up on weapons. But I do that.

Provo
2015-09-16, 11:44 PM
Marus Lancaster HP 14, AC 11
Marus charges in after Brama, stopping just behind the large minotaur as Marus looked for an opening to attack past him. When he saw his opportunity, Marus stepped in and attempted to shove one of the soldiers over the bridge. After the attempt, he quickly stepped back to give Brama space.

This Turn Initiative 11
Marus runs after Brama, stopping just behind him.

Next Turn Initiative 13
Steps into Brama's space and shoves an enemy.
Athletics:[roll0]
If bridge is one person wide, move behind Brama again. Otherwise, move next to him.

Estralita
2015-09-17, 12:06 AM
Natali hated to admit it, but she was feeling a bit overwhelmed by the situation. Emotions taking over the mind, as it were. But she was out of her restraints, and out of the cell. Now was her time to act. With a swift prayer to her goddess, Natali granted insight onto several of her fellow escapees.

Casting Bless on Tinver, Brahma, and Marus. Sorry can't give it to everybody, but we've go a pretty big group.

For a Level 1 spell, Passive Int. is 10

hiiamtom
2015-09-17, 06:19 AM
Brama grabs the rope handrails on the bridge to steady himself as he stabs forward with his horns again, trying to find purchase before shoving the drow he attacked back with the blow.

Action: Attack [roll0], Damage [roll1]
Bonus: Shove back [roll2]

smoke prism
2015-09-17, 09:07 AM
Tinver flash's the Drow with the crossbows a dangerous smile (knowing full well that they could see it in the gloom) and says in the same booming voice.

[B] Ah crossbow and poison arrows. The weapons of brigands and cowards. Those who refuse to fight those they subjugate in meele are below the lowliest bug and don't deserve anything but contempt and scorn. So lay them down or let it forever tarnish you character [/I]. With that said he gives the a contemptuous look.

It might work or it might not. Ever way they will be confused and more likely to shot and focus on me, letting the others get past

Iniative: 14
Intimidation to shame them into dropping there crossbows and if that fails draw the attacks to me (AC: 14): [roll0] ( potential advantage [roll1]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-17, 10:00 AM
Unleashing a deep boom that shakes the entire, mile-wide cavern to it's very foundation, Tenvir leaves the approaching contingent partly baffled, partly fleeing in terror, partly shaken to their cores.

A few Drow keep stance, but where there were before perhaps Ten of the approaching warriors, now there only stood six steadfast and armed. Two of those remaining guards clearly wielded crossbows, tipped with those infamous poison tipped darts that the Drow were known for utilizing with terrible efficiency.

The other four guards advanced on the bellowing Minotaur, scimitars at the ready, shields drawn high, prepared for his advance!

Franz rushes to the front lines, standing side by side to the imposing bovine warrior Brahma. With the booming echoing command from Tenvir still thick in the air, shaking the cavern, you find it easy to get an opening to catch a Drow warrior just below his neck. The wound wasn't lethal, but it'll definitely force a re-evaluation by your opponent.

Orla releases a blast of fire from her palms, as it careens towards the broken guard contingent, it begins to fizzle and fade, only embers being left to scorch the worn mushroom planks of the bridge.

The Drow reinforcements respond to your attempts at freedom with adept skill and ferocity. Despite almost half their numbers being routed by the arcane trickery of Tenvir, the remaining few fight tooth and nail.

Those on the front lines, four brave Drow indeed to confront a horde of 16 escapees, cut and swipe at those at the front of the pack, striking out with murderous intent. One of the guards reels as a strike from the deft hands of Franz leaves her bleeding and badly wounded, instead trading places with another of the sword-armed guards.

The three remaining at the lead of the bridge each take an opponent, striking out with intent of ruining their trade stock of prisoners, showing no mercy.

One catches Brahma at his side, leaving a clean slice in the beast's hide.

Another cleaves at Eldeth and Franz, striking with perfect form, leaving the Human fighter weak and in very bad shape.

The last achieves little, managing only to distract and strife, harming no one.

Finally, the Crossbow-armed Drow load and take aim, attempting to silence those in the back who attempt to boost their companions. Twin poison-tipped bolts scream at Tinver, one narrowly being avoided, yet the other finding comfort in the Tiefling's shoulder.

With a strike of his mighty horns, Brahma pushes into the dwindled group of Drow. With force and ferocity that should have impaled a Drow and stolen his life on the spot, the Minotaur thrashes about wildly, unable to hit the fleet-footed warriors.

Marus charges with the others, unable to get into the deep of the fray, he manages to knock one of the guards footing loose, causing them to tumble to the webbing some Fifty (50) feet below. Whether the warrior survived or not is of little consequence.

A sense of comfort and solace washes over Natali as the connection with her god is felt as strongly as ever. This radiant warmth and purity is spread outwards, calming those it can best in the midst of combat.

hiiamtom
2015-09-17, 10:44 AM
Brama. 10AC, 8/12HP.

Brama keeps working the side of the bridge, thinking Marus had the right idea. He tries again to land a blow, this time trying to use his horns to push the Drow in front of him over the side and into the webbing below.
Action: Attack [roll0], [roll1]
Bonus: Shove [roll2]
Initiative 12

mmorality
2015-09-17, 10:57 AM
Mental note #7423: practice aim with Fire evocation. Options: more precise evocations, evocations that affect an area. Remember what you practiced Orla; injured and high-threat targets first.

Orla reaches out to the weave, this time precisely manipulating several strands at once, both around herself and her opponents. Bolts of force speed from her hand, unerringly finding purchase in the chests of two of the drow. As they impact, Orla lets out a little shout: Gottem!

Initiative round 13 (10 + 2 + 2 - 1)

Orla casts Magic Missile using a 1st level spell slot, targeting one missile at the heavily injured drow and two more at the archer that hit Tinver.
No attack roll - Magic Missile can't miss.
Injured drow: [roll0]
Archer: [roll1]

(If the injured drow is already down by the time Orla acts, Orla fires all three at the single archer. If the injured drow AND the archer are down, she fires all three at the other archer. If both archers are down then she fires one at the injured drow and the remaining two at random melee drow. If the injured drow AND both archers are down, she fires all three bolts at random melee drow.)

Provo
2015-09-17, 01:16 PM
Marus Lancaster HP 14, AC 11

Marus looks at the Drow with a mixture of fury and pity. Tell me! Will Lolth have mercy on your souls? He shouts towards the archers, knowing full well they should fear their cruel goddess. Finding an opening he steps past his comrades and delivers a strong punch to one of the guards before glaring once again at the archers.

Intimidate against the ranged Drow: [roll0]
Attack against guard: [roll1] + [roll2] from Bless
Damage=4

If the Drow dies, Marus picks up his weapon as his free object interaction

darklink_shadow
2015-09-17, 06:43 PM
Franz staggered for a moment, taking a step back before throwing himself back into the fray. It's do or die, and even if one of those options are die, he'd rather be trying this than living as a slave.

[roll0]
[roll1]

smoke prism
2015-09-18, 05:32 PM
Tinver glare at the Drow crossbowmen and yells "DIE" (making sure it reverberates and echos through the cave). With that he throws his makeshift sword (hoping the blessing guilds it true) at the Drow who planted the arrow in his shoulder.

With that Tinver runs to the bridge to take cover behind his larger, and tougher companions.

Initiative: 14 (i think)
attack: [roll0] + [roll1] (from blessing)
Damage:[roll2]
Move behind those engaged in melee to avoid the crossbowmen.

Estralita
2015-09-18, 07:08 PM
Having blessed her companions with divine knowledge, Natali turned to her own safety. Unlike some of her fellow prisoners, she was not trained in the use of weapons, which was how she ended up captured in the first place. But not all attacks depended on the strength of your arm.

Natali once on the bridge, knelt down to pry a wooden plank free, and imbued it with magic.

The drow would soon learn that some attacks were based off the strength of your faith.

Do I need to roll to pull the plank free?

DMBlackhart
2015-09-18, 10:29 PM
Tinver's Powerful toss lands shy of it's target, tearing past the mushroom/wood bridge and slicing a hole in the webbing below.
Heroically he flees to find comfort behind the advancing prisoners.
A particularly burly and dangerous looking Quaggoth makes the perfect living shield.

Franz' Wicked Blade slices clean through the air, unfortunately missing the remaining Drow assailant, finding no purchase.

While disoriented, Marus' Masterful Strike manages to catch the remaining Drow combatant, however the swing had little weight behind it, and did nothing to dissuade the warrior's advances.

With arcane chantings the Weave bends to Orla's Magnificent Will! A barrage of magical bullets streak through the air, tearing into the already wounded Drow, midway into her retreat.

The other bolts cut into the last, uninjured Drow combatant, and while the blast proved non-lethal, the Warrior kneels low, exhaustion setting in as he is no doubt only a moment from death.

Of the Four (4) remaining combatants, only two stand their ground. One of the Crossbowman holsters his weapon, turning tail and seeking out refuge with a larger formation. The warrior and one other Crossbowdrow remained holding the bridge, the advance of yourselves and the Nine (9) other prisoners doing little to shake their indomitable resolve.

The blade-wielding Drow male struck out at the Dwarven woman Eldeth, leaving a deep gash, but not stopping her in her intent to retaliate.

A stray bolt strikes past Tinver again, leaving a paper-thin cut on his cheek, but doing no serious harm beyond that.

Brahma, Furious and Proud, strikes at one of the two remaining Drow. His horns prove as deadly and effective as any blade, as the dark elf is quickly removed from this mortal realm with a single, penetrating blow.
The body hangs limply from the beasts horn for a moment, before being thrown loose and into the darkness below.

Things take a terrible turn, however, as the rope-and-mushroom bridge begins to sway and buckle under the weight of the many occupants. To make matters worse, shouts of concern escape the back-end bridge occupants, as they watch Natali Shredding Free a usable plank of Zhurkwood (mushroom) from the bridge.

While the divinely blessed woman now wields an appropriate weapon for survival, it seems even missing this one piece has caused what little integrity of the bridge to wan. Those too slow or injured to move quick attempt to flee to the prison cell for comfort. Those at the fore of the bridge, or fast and strong rush for the far end, hoping to make it out of this place in one piece.

I need all of you to roll a Dexterity (Acrobatics) roll for me please. Failure obviously means you will catch he bridge during it's collapse, we can discuss climbing or escaping from there. Failing by 5 or more means a plummet to a webby or rocky death.

Those at the front of the bridge (Correct me if I am wrong, but that'd be the NPC Eldeth, Franz, Brahma, annnd Marus?) get advantage on this roll.

Those at the middle have disadvantage (I think Tinver was the only one, maybe orla too?)

And those at the far-back end, closest to the prison cell get advantage as well,but may find themselves stuck in a bad spot.

Provo
2015-09-19, 10:56 AM
Marus dives for the cliff-side as the bridge collapses. Unfortunately, he falls barely short and instead grabs the bridge as it swings to a stop against the cliff wall.

Rolled 12 in the OOC. If that wasn't enough, I will edit this post.

mmorality
2015-09-19, 12:43 PM
Orla stands back from the edge as the rope bridge collapses, watching with concern as a few members of the escape party plummet to the webbing below.

smoke prism
2015-09-20, 08:49 PM
Due to a mixture of Tinver's reflex's and luck he is able to deftly propel him self across the bridge just as the midsection he was stood on disappears in to the abyss.
Well that was lucky.

As he lands on the ground on the opposite side, the cries of those that weren't as luck as him reached his ears.
Poor guys. At least in death you are free.

With that he moves to the stealthy in to the store house, using the chaos of the bridge to cover his approach. When he enters he attempts to find either his own gear or any items that would suit his style of fighting.

initiative: 14
stealth: [roll]1d20+6[roll] (advantage from the collapsing bridge distracting everyone [roll]1d20+6[roll] )
If i get inside the storehouse i look for my gear

Provo
2015-09-20, 11:54 PM
Just inches from the edge of the broken bridge, Marus had no difficulty climbing to the safety of the cliff. However, situation was still dire, and Marus had no time to lose. He ran towards what appeared to be a barracks, stopping first at the entrance to make sure the room was safe.

[roll0]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-21, 12:23 AM
Those who made it to the other side, safe from the collapsed bridge, but separated from their allies and now at the mercy of the terribly Drow. Upon the stone outcropping the Five of you stand, there are only a few paths ahead to choose from.

The first would be the Cave-entrance front of your group, not ten feet off. With wooden framework and a single iron-bound door to block intruders, this fortifications would normally prove difficult to pass. Alas, the door is left ajar, as the last of the Drow in retreat passes it's threshold, unaware any of your group have not only survived, but prepare to give chase.

Next to this would be a bridge to the North, maybe Fifteen feet away from you, it seems unguarded and leads to yet another wood-barricaded cavern. In the distance you can barely make out what looks like an Outpost, no doubt meant to keep eyes on intruders into the caves below Velkynvelve. If any of the watchdrow have seen you, their alert is yet unclear.

Finally, retreating to the south of this little outcropping is another bridge, better maintained then the previous one, it could no doubt hold out safer in the midst of combat. However, even now you hear the sounds of figures across and to the far south of the prison complex. You recall a Drow sent on retreat before the prison break to fetch the Wardeness "Lady Ilvara". You should make your decisions quick, before her and her consort come to put a bloody end to this escape.

Further to the south, past the bridge seems to be a total of Three more stalactites. One larger than the other two. You know the largest (and closest) serves as Lady Ilvara's quarters, and a place of worship for the foul spider goddess Lolth.

Past all this, at the final stretch of cavern and prison are the caves that serve as various staff housing, and just shy of these would be where you recall the lift being that took you once from the floors below to this hidden, far-lost hanging prison facility.

As for those lost to the hanging stalactite prison, there seems little way to make your escape as safely as the others. However, not being impeded by constant Drow assault will make this considerably safer.

Climbing down to the webbing below could prove the quickest and easiest, but also the deadliest route.

Plummeting to the pool below may yet be the least dangerous, but would require ample luck to not be crushed on the rocks below.

Some of the other prisoners suggest climbing the bridge debris, using them as a makeshift ladder than navigating the webs till they can rejoin the others, but this would surely prove the lowest course of action.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-21, 12:41 AM
Franz looks about, and then groans. Doomed. I'm doomed.

Despite his surety of demise, he had to try. The mushroom boy depended on him to escape. Oi! Throw us a rope, would ye? He needed it. Badly wounded already, he couldn't tussle with the spiders and live. He'd probably die at their first assault.

Before he got ahead of himself, however, he needed to get free of the webs stuck to him.

[roll0] Vs 12.

mmorality
2015-09-21, 02:10 AM
"Fates damn it Mori, get out here and make yourself useful!" Orla mumbles to herself as she concentrates for a moment. With a small "pop" a grey and black owl appears above her head. It settles to the ground and stares looks up at Orla, who returns the look. After a moment, the owl flies off after Marus. Orla shouts after it: "Spellbook AND the focus. DON'T FORGET THE FOCUS YOU BIRD-BRAINED IDIOT!"

Despite her shout, Orla immediately turns away from the owl with an air of implicit trust, assessing her new situation. Listening to the other captives discuss strategy, she examines the gap where the bridge once stood; finding a small rock, she whispers arcane words over it, and gently drops it over the edge onto the webbing as it explodes in bright light.

Orla recalls her familiar from his pocket dimension as per the spell, then casts Light on a pebble.

Mori is going to follow Marus into the barracks if they appear safe, grab Orla's spellbook and arcane focus and bring them back to her. (I assume her can do that; he only has a strength of 3, but the book and orb are only a few pounds total. If the barracks are not safe, Mori is going to hang out outside, hidden, and wait for an opportunity to recover those items. Stealth check, if necessary: [roll0].)

DMBlackhart
2015-09-21, 07:47 AM
Franz struggles and pulls at the webs, seemingly to not effect. It would be suicide to continue struggling should the spiders come, he was right about that.

Not far off, perhaps five feet to his side, the Myconid sprout, Stool struggles in vein as well. Although, perhaps not all is lost, the spiders DO begin to descend, advancing on the two of you quickly and leaving little time to think or react.

But in such massive webs, it affords you a few seconds to move, to safe yourselves. And the fungus child Stool seems to be doing just that. With wriggling insanity and speed it begins to rip and tear the webs around it. It shreds and thrashes, causing a hole to open, causing the web to wobble and shake violently.

The spiders advance slows, feeling the web weaken. Either it be caution or is if it's confusion, the fungus has bought you some time to decide on your fate. If you can succeed at a second attempt to break free, you may yet be able to out-run the advancing menace.

However, poor Stool seems to have resigned to it's fate, the webbing so weak now from trashing and tearing that if it were to break free, it'd plummet into the cold lake below.

Another event offers to save yourself, granting you even further extended life in the webs. A small pebble plummets down to the webbing, rocking it almost imperceptibly. But as it strikes down, it explodes in blinding light, causing the spiders to reel. It is now you see that about Ten of these fearsome monsters advance on you and the fungus child.

And as for Orla, her mysterious and magical owl-like familiar Mori pops into the caverns beside her. It acknowledges the woman, soaring to find Marus and the others climbing and regrouping on the other side.

Once it sees it's target, it hangs back and observes, perched high up to avoid detection. Once it is sure the way is clear, it shall swoop down and snatch the book and orb for it's master.

Orla's pebble falls down to the webbing below. She than makes out the scene as it unfolds, the little fungus-creature stool struggles for freedom, to the point of rending the webbing keeping it aloft to shreds.

Franz too struggles, but seems more graceful, intending to only free himself and hopefully flee the impeding spiders. Whether the soldier can see the threat, Orla and the others can see nearly Ten spiders advance slowly on the duo. One has already drug-away one of the Drow corpses that fell below.

Provo
2015-09-21, 08:32 AM
In hushed tones, Marus calls to those on his side of the bridge. We need a plan of action NOW. I say we need our equipment and we need to cut the southern bridge loose before that wretched woman Ilvara arrives...

I believe our gear is in this cave, but it seems the Drow guards may have gone this way too. Who will come with me to bring justice on our captors?

Without waiting for an answer, Marus checks the ground for any weapons dropped by the fleeing guards, and he approaches the barracks.

I believe one of the fleeing guards died by magic missile. If he was already off the bridge when he died then I take his weapons. Either way I approach the barracks.
Sneak: [roll0]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-21, 01:54 PM
Marus trudges forward, picking up a sword dropped by one of the fallen Drow. With blade in hand he approaches the slightly ajar wooden door before the barracks/storeroom chamber.

However, seeing Tinver having already beaten him to the door, holds a moment, to see the outcome.

Regardless of their efforts, the commotion makes it impossible to enter without being noticed, and immediately upon entering, Tinver is beset by a rain of Crossbow bolts.

You notice, a second before the bolts strike, a fortification of overturned chairs, serving as temporary cover, as each of the Drow perch Crossbows along the rims of their makeshift barriers.

Tinver stands, barely standing, to confront the defense of Seven Drow.

Inside the chamber, should you bypass the Drow and manage to claim the room, there is a side-door to the right from the entrance, no doubt where your equipment is being stowed for the time being.

mmorality
2015-09-21, 02:51 PM
"Tactical assessment: ****ed." Orla mumbles to herself as she surveys the situation. "Advantages: First, high ground relative to spiders. Second...um...damn."

Orla whispers and points to the other side of the chasm. Brahma can hear Orla's whisper in his ear: "The equipment can wait a bit longer. We must delay Ilvara's arrival. Destroy that bridge!"

Turning back to matters she can directly influence, Orla takes aim at the closest spider to Franz, again calling upon the Weave. "If you've only got one tactical advantage, you'd better make the most of it," she whispers to herself as she releases another blast of fire from her hands.

Orla casts Message targeting Brahma. Then she casts Fire Bolt, targeting the closest spider to Franz UNLESS it is on what looks to be a particularly weak portion of webbing (perception if necessary: [roll0]); if it is, she'll target whichever spider is on solid footing and closest to Franz.

Attack: [roll1]

This happens at initiative count 14.

hiiamtom
2015-09-21, 03:29 PM
Marus run to bridge! You use blade to cut ropes! Drow can not come her from there! I fight these guys. If things look bad, I jump. You use your judgement on what to do next. With that Brama charges the makeshift barrier and uses his horns move past and attack a horrified Drow.
Move to the barrier where I will Dash around the barrier and use my bonus action to attack the Drow.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Initiative 12

smoke prism
2015-09-21, 06:03 PM
As Tinver narrowly avoids some crossbow bolts an Drow crossbowmen artful plants a crossbow bolt in his chest.
The force and shock causing him to stumble backwards and collapse in a pool of his own blood.

A cold and numbness slowly spreading through his vains, that robes him of his strength and ability to move. As the coldness spreads to his chest and head the world blurs and slowly fades to black as he lays bleeding out.

Iniative: 14 (if its relative to his bleeding out)
Just narrating Tinver dropping to zero HP and starts to bleed out. If no one saves him or throws him over the edge he is free for the Drows to re-imprission.

Provo
2015-09-21, 07:18 PM
Marus Lancaster AC 11 HP 14

Brama, get out of here! I've got Tinver! Marus shoute as he bent down over the unconcious Tiefling. Saying a short prayer, Marus placed his hand on the rogue, and Tinver was filled with warmth as he regained conciousness. Run Tinver.

At that, Marus turned and ran. In the midst of all this, he allowed himself a chuckle at the irony of healing the descendant of a demon.

Marus fled to the cliff, and prayed that he would find safety below. Just as he was about to leap, he saw the webs brilliantly lot up with Franz and Stool struggling below, and he aimed his jump to land in the webs between the two.

Jumping close to Franz if the two aren't right by each other.
Athletics if needed: 1d20+5

OOC: that is one point of health to Tinver.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-21, 09:51 PM
Franz struggles again, trying to get to the mushroom lad and save him.

[roll0] vs 12

DMBlackhart
2015-09-21, 11:13 PM
Orla launches a burst of flame at the webbing, timed more poorly it could have raged out of control and enveloped not only the fierce arachnids but also poor prostrate Franz and his Myconid pet.

However, with opportune timing afforded by Marus and his leap of faith, the fire strikes simultaneously, not only weakening the web for an eventful impact, but also forcing many burning, screaming spiders to go crashing into the lack below.

Much of the web support is broken now, and falling off the cliffs of Velkynvelve further would surely prove deadly.

Brahma's Mighty Horns gore and stab, making an intimidating show as he manages to strike one of the already wounded Drow from the bridge battle. This man, barely able to flee or defend himself from the powerful attack, had become impaled on the Minotaur's sharp horns, and now lies motionless at Brahma's feet.

A pool of blood coalesces at the feet of the beast as the other Drow, onlooking in horror, lower their crossbows and shakily draw swords and daggers. It is clear no single one wishes to advance on the mighty monster first.

Marus, Franz and Stool all meet with an untimely fate, plummeting from the now burned and faded webbing to the deep, dark lake below Velkynvelve.

Had it not been for the glowing lichen below, as well as a single, isolated light source near the shore of the lake, your trio would be blind to their surroundings.

Following in tow from Orlas magical fire are the hosts of giant monstrous spiders, each screaming in pain as burning web raps around them and signifies their descent into the lake below. Alas, none hit your poor group of Three, a saving grace to be sure.

Tinver recovers his senses, watching the fleeing Marus dive off the sheer edge of the prison cliffs. Ahead, he sees the brave Brahma dash into the Barracks/Storage chamber, and immediately you can hear the screams and cries of horror!

Vylund, hanging about under the now charred and faded webbing, looks up above in alarm and surprise. What was a simple excursion into the Underdark turned for the insane. Having lost their way some time ago, Vylund had begun to wander.

The last thing they expected to find was a mysterious cavern, big enough to hold a village, instead housing a large, natural lake bed complete with waterfall. The webbing overhead was confusing and mysterious, but simply belayed warning that spiders were about.

However, now that the webs had burned apart, and the spiders who once claimed it were seen screaming, burning, and plummeting, Vylund was less sure what was going on here.

They also noticed a number of figures falling in the dark before the spiders. And lastly, a lone, squat fish-like man sitting at the edge of the lake, a fire roaring next to him and the sweet smell of grilled fish roasting to perfection.

DMBlackhart
2015-09-21, 11:17 PM
Figured a second post would do better to punctuate who is up to what

For those lost back at the Prison cell, you watch as all the prior events unfold. With Orla's own hand being the cause of such chaos and destruction.

Ront, the Orc fellow trapped so far below from his home, has begun to get angry, and in doing so has angered the others in the cell.

There is talk of escape, but now a new plan is being formulated. The big oafish Orc convinces the others to pick up rocks, pieces of metal, whatever they can find, and help him bash at the walls of the Stalactite.

His thoughts, perhaps with enough force they can bring the structure down, earning their freedom through brute strength!

Others protest, the large and imposing Quaggoth, which speaks with a queer and polite accent, insists that the Orcs plan is asinine and it'd only end in their deaths. The Quaggoth, who refers to himself as Prince Erendil of the Elvish lands believes his innate magical abilities would suffice to see them all to the earth safely.

The only stipulation is trust, and with how mad the beast sounds, trust seems fleeting for all of those gathered.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-21, 11:41 PM
Ack! ~Stool, are you alright? ~ Franz asks the child telepathically before getting up and scooping up his knife before it could sink beyond reach. Holding onto both the knife and the puny creature, Franz swam for the edge of the pool to escape the water and whatever may be inside it.

mmorality
2015-09-22, 12:10 AM
"If this doesn't work, it'll be a long time before see each other again. Fly swift, friend; I'll try to do the same." Orla whispers.

Using the chaos and fear created by the minotaur's charge, Mori flies into the barracks, heading straight for the storeroom. He grabs Orla's spellbook and arcane focus and immediately retreats the way he came, flying into the crevasse towards the dark lake.

Orla bellows to Brahma: "FRIEND MINOTAUR, WE ARE EXECUTING A TACTICAL RETREAT AND WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR COMPANY! A FIERY DEATH TO THE FIRST FOUR DROW THAT COME THROUGH THAT DOOR AFTER HIM!"

Finally, Orla directs the remaining people on the prison stalactite: "If any of you can assist the fight from here, do so. Otherwise, get into the basted lake."

Orla is readying an action: Fire Bolt on the first hostile she has a clear shot at. Attack: [roll0]; Damage: [roll1].

Other relevant information: Mori doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity while flying.

UXLZ
2015-09-22, 12:39 AM
After standing still for a second in shock, Vylund dashes over to where he saw the figures plummet before the spiders, ignoring the fish entity for now. He admitted to himself that the smell of fish was making him extremely hungry, but the other matter was obviously more pressing.

Provo
2015-09-22, 05:57 AM
Marus comes to his senses and begins to swim toward the shore. Along the way, he believes he spies a figure slumped over one of the rocks in the pool, though perhaps his eyes are just playing tricks on him in the darkness.

Assuming the figure to be one of the fallen Drow, Marus approaches, hoping to drag it to the shore.

I am assuming one of the dead Drow from the bridge would have made it down to the lake. If so, Marus drags them to shore and loots their armor.

smoke prism
2015-09-22, 07:37 AM
As the warming light of Marus magic enters him, Tinver eyes open and the world comes back blurred and colorless at first, but slowly colors come swimming back.
As he gets his bearings he hears Marus yell a retreat and seening the only way out is to dive down the cliff, past the web and hope he didn't hits no rocks in the water.
I suppose I'd talk a rocky death over Drow imprisonment

With that grim thought Tinver takes a running leap of the cliff edge, aiming to fall through on of the holes in the web and hoping his fiendish resistance would protect him from the burning remnants of the web.

Diving of the edge of the cliff
Acrobatics if needed: [roll0]
Athletics if needed: [roll1]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-22, 10:48 AM
Marus, Frans, and Stool recover from their drop to the earth below. Enveloped in freezing, chilled water with only the foul taste of stagnation to welcome them.

All three of you manage to swim to the shore, where you see a small fire lit and being tended to by the soft, simple looking Kuo-toa Shuushar.

As you all make it ashore, you are torn between horror and relief. Looking back to the cold lake, you watch as the remaining bodies of spider and Drow being dragged beneath the waves by some unseen force.

Ahead of you however, on the dry warm rocks, sits Shuushar, cooking fresh fish in ample supply. Not far from the fat Kuo-Toa stands a elfish fellow (half elf) (Vylund). They seem to have rushed over to see what the commotion was about, and offer their aid.

The Drow body Marus dragged ashore still held a dagger in their belt, and a sword in it's sheath. As well as thing, well maintained chain mail around his torso.

Vylund approaches, finding all those who fell to the water did not seem to make it. Many of the bodies, if all had certainly been alive before, began to be pulled under the surface of the lake.

Three however made it to the shores safe and sound. A Human fellow, dragging a squat, bulbous fungal-thing by what you think is a leg. (Franz and Stool), as well as another Half-elf, dragging what seems to be the corpse of a Drow to the shore with him.

The Kuo-Toa Shuushar speaks, but none of you hear his voice. His words seem to penetrate your mind, leaking into your own thoughts.
"Mmm rest now. Eat. The others will be seen to safety. I did not expect our Exodus from the Drow to be so quick and decisive. They will be guarded however, do not fret. These waters are deadly, but I will see them safely to shore.

as Tinver takes his leap of faith, fear sets into his eyes. Below the lake seemed calm, until the bodies began to strike it's surface. As the waves and whirls subsided, you watch as only three figures made it to the shore.

Everything else in the water seemed eerily calm. And than, moments before hitting the surface yourself, you watch as dark tendrils began to rap around the assorted bodies. Drow and spider corpse began to be pulled under the dark waters.

And than, splash, everything went dark.

Orla's fierce flames struck out past the doorway and at one of the Drow. It looked as if with the combined strength of Eldeth and Brahma, as well as the cunning Svirfneblim Jimjar, they would be able to make it out alive.

The Drow, had they not already been on the edge, begin to panic in earnest as one of their own spontaneously combusts. This leaves an opening for the Minotaur and Dwarf to take advantage of, and ensure their survival.

However, Orla watchs out of the corner of her eye. Five Drow begin marching across the southern bridge. The men in the group all look like elite guards, Ilvara's own personal escorts. And at their lead, the whip-toting maniac priestess herself advances to the the Barracks.

By Orla's count they are perhaps only a half a minute away.

hiiamtom
2015-09-22, 11:35 AM
Jimjar! You grab backpacks, they have most important supplies! Turning to Eldeth he continues We run now! Brama lifts up the drow he killed and holds it in front of him to try and avoid any potential ranged attacks as he runs for the cliff edge, jumping into the pool below with a...
Move, Dash
Athletics for the jump = [roll0]
... clumsy tumble. This be for the best, there be too many who would need me in these tunnels.

Provo
2015-09-22, 12:08 PM
Marus pulled the equipment from the dead Drow before letting himself collapse on the dark shore. The fires that cooked the fish were a small island of light in the endless night of these tunnels, and Marus let himself take comfort in it. Who knew when he would see light again.

"Mmm rest now. Eat. The others will be seen to safety. I did not expect our Exodus from the Drow to be so quick and decisive. They will be guarded however, do not fret. These waters are deadly, but I will see them safely to shore.

Ah Shuushar, how glad I am to see you. I fear that many of our cell mates will not make it... thinking of Shuushars promise to protect the others, Marus continued And do you need help? I am still capable.

Estralita
2015-09-22, 12:08 PM
This was not the way Natali like to work. She liked to gather information, and access it, in order to come to the best situation. But there wasn't time for that. There wasn't time for any of that. Just time to react.

"Goddess protect me." she whispered, and jumped off the cliff, hoping to hit the lake below, still grasping her makeshift weapon.

Acrobatics check (or Athletics, it's the same either way)

[roll0]

Also using Guidence to boost the roll

[roll1]

smoke prism
2015-09-22, 01:37 PM
As Tinver's about to hit the surface of the lake, he notices tendrils wrap themselves around the corpses in the water.
Ha,better work out what this is before it drags me down. With that dark thought he hits the water with a graceful dive.

In the murky gloom of the water he looks were he assumes the tendrils must be coming from. With that he swims furiously to the shoreline were the others that survived the fall were.

Initiative: 14
perception: [roll0] (disadvantage [roll1])
Dashing toward the others on the shoreline

Provo
2015-09-22, 01:40 PM
As Marus begins donning his new set of armor, he notices that one of those present (Vylund) is not from his group of escapees, and his heart stops. His hand instinctively goes to the hilt of his sword as he asks Who are You?

DMBlackhart
2015-09-22, 03:11 PM
Brahma stumbles from the outcropping on high. With the grace of a Bull-man he plummets into the shadowy depths of the lake below...

Jumping after him, Natali comes flailing down into the depths as well. Both herself and Brahma resurface, only to watch as the shadowy dark tendrils begin to move through the water toward them!

With Tome and Orb in claw, the familiar owl returns to Orla's side. Already things begin to look further bleak. Watching the last few of your companions throw themselves from the Prison's precipice, the other NPCs begin jumping as well.

Orla can see the Drow priestess Ilvara changing direction. Once it's clear there's no more prisoners on THIS side of the divide, she begins making her way to where the broken bridge is. With her guard in tow, they all idle for only a moment, before walking out over the chasm where the bridge once stood, as if there were solid ground!

It looks bleak, and the advancing Drow will be upon the stalactite prison in a matter of moments! (you have 1 round to react)

Tinver soon joins with the others gathering on the shore. Already the companions numbers begin to swell.

Where there we before only a few, now sit many. Shuushar, the oddly calm and overweight Kuo-Toa sits tending a fire, providing food and light and warmth to the others. Franz and Stool, Marus and a new face (Vylund), warm themselves by the fires as well.

Also joining the group are the Twins, Topsy and Turvy. And within seconds more seem to wash ashore. Carrying someone upon his back, the Drow prisoner Sarith pulls himself and an unconscious woman ashore. Immediately you identify her as Eldeth Feldrun, the Shield dwarf from Gauntlgrym.

As well, it seems the last of those to attempt escape have done so. The shadow of Jimjar the Deep gnome rogue can be seen diving from the cliff face, the screams of the Drow priestess above heard clearly as she is robbed of apprehending her slave stock.

With most of you out of the lake, and only a few left to pull themselves ashore, it seemed as if the impromptu escape attempt went off well. The only missing members you can account for are Ront, the Orc, Buppido the Derro, and Derendil the Quaggoth.

hiiamtom
2015-09-22, 03:20 PM
Brama drags the Drow body with him to the shore, trying his best to ignore the tentacles creeping up from behind.

mmorality
2015-09-22, 03:50 PM
Despite the available telepathic link, Orla speaks out loud to Mori as she prepares to take the plunge into the lake: "No, no. You hold on to those for now. I see them, I'm going, I'M GOING! Get to the others."

Mori swoops off his perch on the enormous stalactite towards the makeshift camp as Orla steels her nerves and jumps towards the waiting water below.

Her look of settled determination turns to surprise and fear as soon as her feet leave the ground. "What do you mean there's something IN-" she manages to scream before she makes a tiny splash in the water.

As soon as she rights herself, Orla immediately begins swimming frantically for shore.

smoke prism
2015-09-22, 05:09 PM
Tinver exits the lake half running and half swimming. As he pulls up to to the fire, the glorious feeling of heat and the smell of fresh fish reachs his noise.

"What's that thing in the lake? What's our plan of escape? Is some of that food for me ? All this comes out in a garbled stream, and as if remembering him self he straightens his posture, slicks his hair back and smile at the crowed of escapee's.

"Those who don't know me, I'm Tinver of the iron ring and it's nice to see you all free

Iniative (if relevant): 14
Charisma to make a good impression: [roll0]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-22, 05:28 PM
Shuushar sits quietly by the fire. It's almost eerie how little he moves.

A simple nod is given to Tinver, when he asked about the cooked fish. There seems to be ample, enough to feed the entirety of Velkynvelve. Where he got all this fish, especially in the small span the breakout took is surprising.

Another psychic connection is established as the Kuo-Toa explains the entity in the lake.
They are many. No single creature. I first sensed them when I was brought to Velkynvelve. They were not so intelligent at first. Simply moss and slim, feeding lazily at the bottom of the lake.
But something strange is occurring. In the days since my imprisonment I felt the things cry out. They seemed smarter, more self aware... and they seemed hungrier.
I promised them food, if they would show me and the others no harm. I foresaw our escape from the prison, but did not expect with such alacrity.

The fish-person goes back to staring at the fire, unblinking with a stupid look on it's face. This creature proved more and more mysterious with each passing moment.

smoke prism
2015-09-22, 05:59 PM
Tinver picks up a fish and bits into it, the delicious taste seems to cure his injury's.
Getting closer to the fire he looks to Shuushar and ask

"What could causes such a rapied alteration in such an entity that was originally unintelligent slime on the lake flow?"

As he asks this, Tinver trys to figure out the answer him self, pulling on his reserves of academic lore.

Arcana: To workout what's going on with the thing on the lake floor:[roll0]
Nature: To workout what's going on with the thing on the lake floor:[roll1]
Using either the highest or the most relevant.

If were still in iniative order this will be my next act, unless something gose horrible, in which case I will edit later to fit the event

hiiamtom
2015-09-22, 07:22 PM
Brama emerges from the dark pool with his bounty in tow. He starts stripping the drow and taking the goods and armor from the body. He then takes the naked body and throws it in the water trying to help Timver get a good look at the creatures. That probably be a fiend; I know the creatures that live down here, if I had some gear I would hunt. Best let it be.

Brama spends the time others recouped investigating the area and looking for more food or other goods. He doesn't go far, but is looking for the pathways leading from the bottom of this cavern.
I'm trying to help Tinver's intelligence checks.

Survival: 1d20+4, 1d20+4
Perception: 1d20+4, 1d20+4

mmorality
2015-09-22, 07:42 PM
Sputtering as she comes ashore, Orla warns the others: "The Drow were on their way. Walking on air or something. Patch your wounds quickly -- we need to get out of here. Speaking of, does anyone know which direction 'out of here' might be? I'm afraid to admit that I was more than a little disoriented during my transport here."

Provo
2015-09-22, 08:32 PM
Marus Lancaster 14HP, 18AC

There are many terrifying things here in the belly of the world... but even still this seems strange. What could have brought intelligence to a simple pile of slime? Marus pauses to think over a bite of fish.

It seems we have more critical matters to attend to though. Who here knows these tunnels? Sarith? How about you gnomes? Marus says gesturing to Jimjar, Topsy, and Turvy. Does anybody know of a safe place we can go?

I assume demons are involved so
Religion: [roll0]

And I don't know if language is important here but possibly significant ones I have are Common, Elvish, and Deepspeech.
Persuasion (to get info from NPCs): [roll1]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-22, 08:41 PM
Sarith the once imprisoned Drow makes it ashore, laying the drowned/dying Eldeth by the fire. Despite his heritage, it seems even this dark-elf can be trusted.

The Shield Dwarf woman looks to Brahma, seeing him as the leader of the Prison break and the most heroic of the group. She reaches out with a broach clutched in his hand, her eyes staring off into the darkness above.
"Please... please return me sigil ta me homeland. Show me brothers'n Gauntl'grym of me fate. Tell'em of me faith and bravery. Let'em know I took a few with me before I succumbed. Tell'em all this, an' I be assurin' ye they'll be helpin' ye ta find the surface again.

As her strained speech ends, the dwarf woman's eyes go soft, her gaze strays, and her breathing stops...

As the rest comes to a close, and your party has dealt with the remains of the fallen as appropriate, and have had their fill and recovered their strength; Talk quickly turns to where to go next. Ilvara, in all her ruthlessness will be behind your party soon for sure, you can not risk straying much longer.

Buppido is deceased.

Derendil also gone.

Eldeth passed.

Jimjar, in true gnomish fashion produces for you all a small satchel. Big enough to perhaps fit only half the Svirfneblim himself into, it shows a more amazing and magical side when the Gnome Jimjar does just this, diving into the bag, his legs wriggling free. As he escapes the satchel again he pulls out many objects. All the armors, weapons, and packs and bags you all had confiscated prior.
The Gnome offers a slight bow, expecting applause for his thriftiness.

When talk turns to which way to go next, Jimjar is quick to call a return to Blingdenstone. The gnomish home is far off to the north however, and would take far too much time to make it back before Ilvara could catch back up with the group.

Ront is also Dead.

Sarith gives his say, and obviously this does not include any want to return to his birth home of Menzoberranzan. Rather, he expresses an unusual level of kindness and care for others when he exclaims he wishes to accompany the Myconid sprout Stool in returning it home safely.

Shuushar speaks once more telepathically, you question whether he can actually speak vocally or not. His claims are for the settlement of Sloopidoop near the Darklake. It is the closest settlement near here and would be a good place to hide from the Drow.
It's of course of no influence that it happens to also be his home town.

If others fight on this case, or he can not rally a large enough force to protect him, Shuushar being a pacifish will succumb to the others and follow where they may.

Stool obviously pleads to the group to be shown the way home. While his diminutive form could sneak and stumble it's way through the underdark well enough, it'd be far from a safe journey, and not knowing the way home does not help matters much.

Topsy and Turvey offer their want to return to Blingdenstone with Jimjar, but are happy to go just about any direction.

hiiamtom
2015-09-22, 08:51 PM
Brama leans over Eldeth, taking the sigil when offered. As she passes he dramatically raises a fist to the encampment above them and cries. Damn your eyes! The curse echoes around teh caverns before Brama turns to trying to fidn food and passageways for their escape as they rest.

mmorality
2015-09-22, 09:17 PM
"The Drow will be searching for us. Any distance we can put between us and them would be good, no matter the direction. I propose that we attempt to get Stool here home safely. But perhaps we should set out, and make this decision as we go. I'd rather not be recaptured by the Drow; the renowned hospitality we've already experienced likely doesn't extend to runaways."

hiiamtom
2015-09-22, 09:30 PM
I agree, it be the direction they least expect. We can get to Sloopidoop from there and then to Blingdenstone and the surface... then I will return Eldeth's memory to Gauntl'grym.

Estralita
2015-09-22, 09:41 PM
Natali looked over the map, trying to absorb new information to distract her from the horror around her. "Is anyone here personally familiar with the area? I would think the best way to go about this would be to figure out which path to freedom would be the fastest and safest.

Once this was said, she allowed herself to look up. "Also, is anyone here in need of healing? My Goddess grants me some power in that area. Not a lot, but enough to make a difference at times."

Provo
2015-09-22, 09:41 PM
Well I don't agree that it is our best choice tactically... But I want to see Stool to his home first.

Jimjar, we will eventually make our way to Blingdenstone. Is there any way I can convince you to stay with us?

darklink_shadow
2015-09-22, 09:46 PM
"Hush Stool. We'll get you there. As for the rest of you, thanks for the aid. You especially, Jimjar."[/B] Franz made a small bow to the gnome before smiling.

The smile didn't last though. "But I do not know you all very well yet, and over a week I have been protecting this child, and promising to escort him home."

Taking the myconid's tiny hand in his own to emphasize his point, Franz continued. "Any of you can come with me, if you'd like. But the boy is my charge, and I've been through too much with him to trust any of you. Least of all a drow."

Franz eyes met the drow's eyes, but there is no malice, just distrust."You understand, don't you? You could easily be a spy, or at least a man willing to turn us in to rejoin your people."

mmorality
2015-09-22, 10:20 PM
"Topsy, Turvy. It appears that most of us intend to help Stool return home. I'd welcome your company, if you'll join us. Surely traveling this dangerous territory is safer in greater numbers."

Persuasion, if necessary: [roll0]. Orla would like them to come with us, but if they aren't so inclined, she won't push it.

Estralita
2015-09-22, 10:29 PM
Natali pondered the situation. "If we don't have a specific best destination, we might as well stick together. There are pros and cons to the situation, of course, but I would rather find safety in numbers."

While she spoke, she kept an eye on the drow and the others, to see if they react to the accusation of spying.

Insight check
[roll0]

Provo
2015-09-22, 10:49 PM
Marus likewise watches reactions as the Franz suggest the Drow could be a spy.

[roll0]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-23, 03:01 AM
Jimjar speaks to Marus, his tone soft but clearly demanding.
"Hm, could be I see's my way there. Could be ol' Jimjar takes the Twins and makes his way home. Could be He does none of this, wanders off, and you don't hears from Jimjar again for some age yet."

He than ponders for a moment, before replying, his hand held out waiting to be shook.
"Five percent of all finds. Coins, jewels goods spices, whatever it be. Gilded dagger? Jimjar lays claim to it if it's his five percent. We agreed?"

Then. the Twins Topsy and Turvy nod at Orla. Her plea was enough, if they had been on the fence before, they clearly had their side.
"Yea, oi fink that's'good as any way 'ta go! Be needin' summin ta' watch me 'n me bruther tho' don't we? Coupl'a scamps we can be."
Turvy simply nods, either the boy is dumb, or mute as you don't recall him speaking once since your incarceration.

Those with a skeptical eye can tell the Drow's motive seem sincere. However, to Orla's trained eye there seems to be something else there. Maybe nothing serious, or even anything sinister. You recall the Drow's tale of imprisonment, where he apparently was accused of murder of another Drow, one he does not recall committing.

Perhaps it is fear Orla see's behind the Drow's eyes. Though whether or not it is because of fear, or some misguided sense of responsibility to atone for his past, he is adamant on bringing the Myconid sprout home. If he is pressed, he will gladly fight for that opportunity.

UXLZ
2015-09-23, 03:10 AM
Vylund notices the aggression directed towards him by Marus.

"Some manner of wanderer or explorer, I guess you could say. I'm down here looking for a specific weapon, though I'm afraid I ended up becoming lost and found my way here. Since I have no real direction to go any more, would you mind me accompanying you all? I used to be a soldier, so I'm good enough when it comes to battle."

He had garnered from conversation that these people were escaped Drow prisoners. Normally he would be wary of such people as criminals, but the fact that they were imprisoned by the drow probably in fact meant the opposite.

smoke prism
2015-09-23, 06:40 AM
Tinver sits by the fire and eating fish. As he dose this he carefully pulls the crossbow bolts out of his shoulder and chest. Trying his best not to further harm him self.

With that attended to he stands up and add his thoughts to the conversation.
"I also wish to help Stool get home, but I suggest we go quick as we don't want the Drow to catch use as I don't think we'll be put in another prison cell." As he says the last part he draws his finger across his neck.

He then walks in front of the fire so everyone can see him.
"If you accept me, I will try to lead you to the best of my ability.

Leaving his request in the air, Tinver sits backdown in his spot by the fire.

Short rest HP recovery roll: [roll0]
Persuasion if needed: [roll1]

Provo
2015-09-23, 08:00 AM
Marus looks back at their recovered equipment before reaching out to shake Jimjar's hand. After all you've done, I think five percent is more than reasonable. Any found equipment will go where it is most helpful, but you can have first pick on any interesting daggers... Glad to have you along.

After Tinver extended his offer to lead, Marus followed up. I too would be willing to lead us in escape, though perhaps we could both play a part. Surely, a group of this size could use an extra overseer.

Marus let the group discuss briefly before interrupting Unfortunately we do not have time to go into details, the Drow are on our heels. By my count we have 10 days of rations not counting this fish. Salt the fish if we can because we are going to travel 15 days before we slow down to gather more.

Brama you are with me up front! Franz, Vylund, you two will need to protect us from behind. Everybody else, find a place in between

15 days fast pace, then we will slow to normal (i think it would be 14 days to the destination at that speed?) Depending on our provisions, we may speed up again at some point. If we don't speed back up, then that makes a 3 ten day trip

smoke prism
2015-09-23, 09:03 AM
Tinver nods at Jimjar gratefully and collects his gear and hastily put it on (Making sure he has his prized rapier).

As Marus comes forward and suggests joint leadership, Tinver offers hin his hand.
"I am all right with joint leadership if no one here has any objections ?

Provo
2015-09-23, 09:31 AM
Shuushar, won't you come with us? Your home will be the next stop after the child, Stool, is home... It may take time, but surely it is the safest way.

smoke prism
2015-09-23, 09:41 AM
Tinver turns to Shuushar and says. "Why don't you come and act as a guild ? Your knowledge of this environment will be of great help, and I'm sure you wouldn't want use to die down here after escaping the Drow "

Persuasion to get Shuushar to come with use: [roll0]

hiiamtom
2015-09-23, 09:52 AM
I be not interested in leadership, my duty be to help the ones that follow our path. You let me lead and no one goes hungry and I take quickest path. Tinver and Marus are brave, Brama be happy to follow. As the conversation continues, Brama presses No need to slow unless we find a reason to. When we be near to drow city, we move slow and careful but otherwise we move quickly.

Brama stares at Shuushar who remains stubborn. Brama thinks for a bit and tries to make a decision on what to do, suddenly he reaches out quickly and attempts to tie the kuo-tao up with some rope.
Grapple: (1d20+6)[13]*
Advantage (surprise): (1d20+6)[11]*

*Copied from deleted post because the rolling tags won't work right for me still.

Estralita
2015-09-23, 10:50 AM
Natali listened to the conversation with interest. She didn't feel herself knowledgeable enough to be a leader, so she kept quiet on that subject. The subject of rations, however..."I happen ot know a spell, learned from the druids, that might be helpful keeping up fed."Natali clasped her hands together for a moment, then cupped them. In the center of the cup were ten ordinary berries. Natali picked one up. "Each berry is capable of keeping the one that eats it well-nourished for a full day. I can only make 10 per day, and they only last for 24 hours, but they should help us stretch our rations out further."

mmorality
2015-09-23, 11:26 AM
Consumed by examination of her newly-recovered spellbook, Orla doesn't seem to notice Brama's attempt to capture the Kuo-Toa. Not looking up from her book, she remarks: "Sticking together is a wise tactical decision; I will follow anyone who listens to reason."

Then, a few minutes after the discussion has subsided: "Move away from here quickly, yes. Goodberry, very interesting." Mori hoots quietly. "Well then don't eat any, you idiot. There's not enough to go around, and you don't need the nourishment." Mori hoots indignantly in response. Orla glares down at him as he pops out of existence, after which she returns to her spellbook.

DMBlackhart
2015-09-23, 01:48 PM
And so the party was off. Into the depths of the Underdark, leaving the terrible Drow behind, with only the terrible darkness ahead.

The realms of the Underdark are alien and strange, sometimes even to those who already know them. Each tunnel is unique, each cave different in subtle ways. To the untrained it seems like the paths repeat, and the sense of going in circles sets in.

But to those who know what they are looking for, each and every step in the dark depths of this world give clues to the right path.

Already Six days have passed, the party has rested, and recovered from their harrowing experience with the Drow slavers. As you travel further from Velkynvelve you truly feel a sense of isolation. Even with a group so big, it is easy to feel lost and alone down in these dark tunnels.

Finally, on the dawn of the seventh day of travel the party comes to a sheer precipice. The path ahead seemed to once be spanned by a rope bridge, now lying in ruins along the cliff wall and undoubtedly at the bottom of this deep, dark chasm before you.

Your group moves swiftly, making no effort to mask themselves or keep quiet. It is perhaps this same recklessness and the sheer size of your group that has warded off all but the most menacing of predators in the dark.

However, ahead of you now stands a single mysterious figure. He stands at the very edge of the cliff-face, where a rope bridge once stood. The man seems odd, even in this dim lighting. It looks almost as if he wears some sort of strange, bulbous, tentacled headress. His arms and legs are long and lanky, standing the figure at an imposing Eight feet tall. And in one hand is gripped a piece of carved and cured Zhurkwood (Mushroom), shaped to function similarly to how a wizard would carry a wand.

In the other hand a book is open, and the creature seems to be gurgling something alien from it's mouth. It does not seem to have yet noticed the intrusion of your party.

Provo
2015-09-23, 01:55 PM
OOC: Marus speaks Deepspeech (Illithid/beholder language)

check to recognize the type of creature [roll0]

smoke prism
2015-09-23, 02:12 PM
Tinver upon seeing the figure dives into the shadow and bihind a rock (i assume there are some).
From his hiding place Tinver observes the creature and trys to workout what it is.

Marus can deal with the leadership part of this encounter.

Roll for stealth: [roll0] (advantage from it not noticing our approach: [roll1])
Roll for arcana: [roll2]
Roll for nature: [roll3]

mmorality
2015-09-23, 02:25 PM
Orla traces an arcane rune in the air before her, preparing to fight if necessary. As she does, she studies the book and wand carried by the creature.

Orla casts Mage Armor (2/3 spell slots remaining)

Orla attempt to discern things about the book (is it a spellbook? does it give any clues about its owner or its contents? etc) and the wand (does she know whether it is inherently magical? if so, what sort? etc): Arcana: [roll0].

Orla's Portent rolls for the day: [roll1], [roll2].

hiiamtom
2015-09-23, 02:27 PM
Brama. 20/20 HP, 15 AC, 16 perception (11 moving fast), 10 initiative, 2/2 1st.Is the figure on the same side of the gap as us? I assume so...

I speak abyssal if they are more demonic incantations (and if they are demonic, than I will immediately attack)Brama takes the moment to draw a javelin and his cutlass as the party spots the figure in the dark. He readies himself for things to quickly go south, but waits for a signal from the party.

mmorality
2015-09-23, 02:29 PM
(Orla stats: 15 AC (12 until Mage Armor cast finishes); 12/12 hp; 11 Passive Wisdom (Perception); 2/3 lvl1 spell slots remaining)

DMBlackhart
2015-09-23, 03:02 PM
Tinver ducks behind a rocky outcropping, the stones covering his body efficiently, he should be perfectly concealed now.
As he looks onward, a few things stand out. The creature clearly is in the middle of performing some Arcanery. The incantations and movements of the being indicate he is attempting to perform some form of ritual.

As Tinver continues to observe, he gets a good look at the beings face, even with it's back turned to you all and towards the collapsed bridge. It is in fact an Illithid. A "Mind Flayer" as the surface folk call them. It still has yet to notice your party.

Orla watches the illithid move and motion. His eyes focused on the wand and book the creature carries. The book is clearly that of one of spells, and it seems rich with knowledge, tattered with age, and preserved by magic.

The wand, as crude as it's craft seems to be, seems sturdy, and even now Orla can feel magic bleeding through it, flowing out into the darkness before the

Brahma watches on as the others do. The creature, obviously some underdark horror, continues it's chanting and incanting. A few of the words in it's ritual strike you as demonic, but the language it speaks is one of the Deep tounge. (Deep speech/undercommon)

(Yes the illithid is on the same side as you, his back turned and his focus on the ritual)

darklink_shadow
2015-09-23, 03:33 PM
~Do you know what that is? Should be ambush it, run from it or talk to it?~ Franz asks Stool, unsure if the lad can even sense the chanting creature up ahead. Either way, his maul finds its way into his hand, and his body tenses to spring forward and attack the creature.

mmorality
2015-09-23, 03:35 PM
Orla whispers to the others: "This creature is casting some sort of magical ritual, but it is not inherently dangerous. I suggest we approach with caution. Illithid are not to be trusted, but perhaps it can assist us in crossing this chasm."

Provo
2015-09-23, 03:40 PM
Marus Lancaster 24HP 18AC
Passive insight:13 initiative: 11

As words spill from the creature in Abyssal and Deep Toung, Marus lifts his shield and prepares himself. Few benign beings know such dark languages, and hearing them now was certainly a bad sign.

Marus holds up his hand, signifying his friends should stay back, and he approaches. Hail, friend. he says calmly in Deep Toung, hoping to avoid startling the creature. We do not wish for harm, nor do we wish to harm you. We are simply passing through. Do you know what happened to the bridge here?

OOC: Marus uses the defend action. Attacks against him have disadvantage.

persuasion to keep the Illithid non-confrontational [roll0]

darklink_shadow
2015-09-23, 03:44 PM
At the signal, Franz steps in front of Stool and stands in a defensive stance as well.

smoke prism
2015-09-23, 04:03 PM
Hearing the mind flayer speak a little abyssal, Tinver draws his rapier and gets ready to stab the mind flayer at the first sign of any malicious intention on its part.

Ready an action to attack the mind flayer if it takes a hostile action towards the party.
I'll roll attacks and damage now to speed things up.
Advantage due to surprise: [roll1]
sneak attack damage: [roll3]
Then cunning action to dash behind the rock

hiiamtom
2015-09-23, 04:16 PM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15AC
Passive: 16 perception, 12 insight, 10 initiative
Spells: 2/2 1st
Brama's grip flexes on his javelin.
Ready action (ithilid attacks party): Hunter's mark, throw javelin, and move 30ft towards the mind flayer.
[roll0]
[roll1]+13=22

DMBlackhart
2015-09-23, 04:36 PM
The creature ceases it's gurgling and chanting. It's movements stop, and it turns with both of it's lanky, boney hands raised, Book in one and wand in the other.
Marus immediately feels a pull on his mind. A psychic connection similar to the one Shuushar implemented days before.

Mmm nor should you. I do not seek intimidation, nor conflict. But be weary should it come to blows, I can best all of you with ease.

The creature, seeing no immediate hostility begins to lower his arms, setting the wand inside his robe pocket and grabbing the book with one of it's many face-planted tentacles.

I am Grazillax of the Society of Brilliance. Please, lower your weapons. I am a scholar by nature. And please forgive my heritage, it is not often I find those from the Surface so far below. What brings you all here?

Franz feels a slight nudge as Stool cowers behind him for protection.

mmorality
2015-09-23, 04:58 PM
"Grazillax, hmm? Society of Brilliance, hmm? I must admit I have not heard of it. Do tell!" After a second, Orla catches her manners. "Ah, I'm Orla..." *Mori pops into existence* "...and that's Mori." *Mori begins to hoot but immediately pops back out of existence*

hiiamtom
2015-09-23, 05:07 PM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15AC
Passive: 16 perception, 12 insight, 10 initiative

Brama, seeing the creature showing that he doesn't want a fight, stows his javelin on his back and sheathes his cutlass. He crosses his arms and waits silently, occasionally scratching an itch or twitching his ears. The seconds stretch to minutes...

smoke prism
2015-09-23, 05:30 PM
Hearing the mind flayers voice in his head, Tinver puts his rapier away ( he still keeps his hand on it).

"Well meet Grazillax, I am Tinver of the iron rings. It is nice to make your aquatints." He repeats this phrase in common, Infernal, abyssal and draconic, trying to find a language they have in common. With this done he offers the mind flayers a handshake and a dashing smile.

After doing this he rummages through his mind to try and workout if he's heard of the Society of Brilliance.

Iniative (if relivent): 14
Charisma to make a good impression (if required): [roll0]
Arcana to see if I've heard of the society of Brilliance: [roll1]
History to see if I've heard of the society of Brilliance: [roll2]

Provo
2015-09-23, 05:47 PM
Marus took comfort in the lack of hostility, but he held his defense up.

Perhaps you could beat us, but let us be glad that we won't need to test that statement... Rather, I would ask what brings a scholar to this place Marus says, gesturing to the chasm before them.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-23, 06:04 PM
Franz watched the creature silently, lowering his weapon, but keeping it firmly encased in his gauntleted fist. Stool was frightened and that was enough for Franz to be wary.

After his comrades, or rather his fellow jail breakers, seemed relaxed he spoke briefly. I am Lieutenant Commander Franz Schwartzbach of the 57th Infantry. A pleasure.

Estralita
2015-09-23, 06:06 PM
Natali stood back, taking special interest in the spellcasting of the illithid. Unfortunately, she was unfamiliar with the particular language he was using, so all Natali could glean was the purpose: levitation. But there was another option: Asking directly.

"Oh, a scholar? I am Natali Mansk, Cleric of Ohgma and a seeker of knowledge. I saw you casting a spell earlier. Fascinating work. What was the purpose?

just like everyone else, Natali is going to roll a History check on the organization:
[roll0]

And an Insight Check against them.
[roll1]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-23, 06:20 PM
Grazillax responds to Orla, finding her curiosity refreashing.

Hm yes. You are well met Orla, and you too Mori. Well to avoid a lengthy introduction, I will say simply that we are scholars and creatures of education. We catalog and chronicle the Underdark and all it's many secrets.

Than Brahma is confronted, the Illithid taking it's time to speak to each of you and answer questions the best it can. However, it seems more that the creatures uniqueness piques the Mindflayer's interest than anything.

Mmmm, you are curious to me. Perhaps a pilgrim? Pray tell me Braham, do you hail from the Labyrinth? I would care to know how Blurg is faring, I have spoken naught to him in too many Tendays.

Tinver of the Iron Rings? Quite the title. And how does one come by a name so unique Tiefling?

[QUOTE=Provo;19861126]Marus took comfort in the lack of hostility, but he held his defense up.

Finally Grazillex reconnects his thoughts with Marus, answering his question about the presence of the Illithid.

Yes yes quite. I was actually coming to the aid of a fellow Society brother. You see Y has been about this way, hoping to explore a temple he found not far from here. He wishes to record the various artifacts within.

Alas, this collapsed bridge has prevented him from continuing his journey. So I have saw to fixing it myself. I believe I am the only member so well versed in the Arcane to handle this task.

You too are well met Franz. I hope we can end the hostilities now and rest our blades. I mean no harm to any of you, and none of you would seek to throw your lives away so fruitlessly I expect.

To Natali Grazillex explains that the spell is meant to repair the bridge, so that he may inform an associate of his within the Society of Brilliance that the path is clear again.

To everyone else, the attitude of the Illithid seems congenial and non hostile. If there's any hidden or dark intent it's not suspected in the slightest.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-23, 06:45 PM
Franz smiled and shook his head. There are no hostilities. Just an appropriately wary human in the underdark. Besides, this isn't a blade. It's a hammer.

smoke prism
2015-09-23, 06:46 PM
Tinver respond to the mind flayer and says
"The title arises from my affiliation with a group of scholars and adventures who seek to understand and banish demons and feinds from this world. Whailst not versed in the arts of arcane or divine magic, I still have a great knowlageble of the subject for an outsider."

As he finishes saying this, Tinver gives a slight bow. As he finishes and straightens up and carry's on.
"You and your society seem to have great knowledge of the underdark. Mayhaps we could trade knowledge from our respective subject areas at somepoint?"

Pressuasion to convince him to trade knowledge at somepoint (if required): [roll0] (advantage as this between two academics: [roll1] )

mmorality
2015-09-23, 07:22 PM
"An exchange of knowledge, yes. A capital suggestion, Tinver! I'm afraid I have little knowledge of the Underdark to offer you, but perhaps you have questions about happenings above the surface. We would be very glad of your guidance, as most of us are unfamiliar with the Underdark; and even those who are likely lack the specialized knowledge of a scholar such as yourself. We also have something of a more material concern: a repaired bridge would be quite useful to us as well!"

Provo
2015-09-23, 08:07 PM
The group had been moving at a fast pace for days now. Perhaps it was good for them to take a breather and enjoy the company of this stranger, even if he was a remarkably dangerous creature...
However, Marus could easily imagine things getting out of hand, and he wanted their path open in case they needed to leave quickly.

a chance for the scholars among us to share knowledge sounds like a great opportunity. However it seems that we interrupted you during something important. Perhap we should continue discussion after your task is complete?

And as you have treated us well so far, I feel i should warn you. There are dangerous people chasing us. However, if you are as powerful as you say, then I don't think you are at risk.

Estralita
2015-09-23, 08:26 PM
Natali almost skipped in excitement, realizing who she was talking to. I would love to witness your work, my esteemed colleague!"

mmorality
2015-09-23, 08:48 PM
I would love to witness your work, my esteemed colleague!"

"I would also be quite interested. Would you mind if we observed your ritual?" Before the illithid even has a chance to respond, Orla begins removing some folded paper from her spellbook and her pen from her pack, after which she furiously scribbles notes.

After a second of scribbling, Orla looks up an examines the ground near the chasm. Apparently unsatisfied, she turns to an unoccupied area next to her, where Mori pops into existence. "Make yourself useful, Mori. Find a better angle on this." Mori hoots indignantly, but flies off into the darkness above a second later.

Mori is helping Orla examine the ritual, if Grazillax agrees to move forward with it. He isn't scouting for anything, but he'll try to find somewhere up high he can settle into unobtrusively that'll afford something like a top-down view of Grazillax and the chasm.

Stealth for Mori: [roll0]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-23, 09:00 PM
Tinver is handed a scroll that seemingly appeared from thin air, suddenly gripped in the out-stretched hand of the Illithid, now being offered to the Tiefling.

This will allow you access to our sanctuary. Use it sparingly, once performed the ritual scribed on this parchment will lose it's meaning. Feel free to come by at your whims, we can have deep discussions of many esoteric and amazing topics.

To Orla Grazillax gives a soft nod, returning to his ritual, his mind still capable of discussion while his tentacled mouth continues to gurgle and squelch in the Deep speech tongue.

Marus was it? Yes, do not fear for me. Your pursuers would assuredly accost me, much to their own regret. If you do not know my race well, and I have my doubts on that matter, we "Mind Flayers" have earned that title well.

I appreciate you not ousting me as a villain, I have turned away from the wicked and alien ways of my people. Yet my practices and my beliefs are alien and some seen perhaps as "evil" to your kind. So view me as you will, but until I have reason to perceive another as a threat, they need not fear me.

With that, Grazillax continues his ritual, the gurgled and garbled chants impossible to decipher. In a short matter of minutes you watch as the pieces of the collapse rope bridge carry themselves up and out of the Abyss below. Slowly they place themselves in a row, forming an unsupported bridge.

As this finishes, the Zhurkwood planks of the bridge remain unbound and free-floating. However, the Illithid turns away from his work, addressing you all once more.

It is done. The bridge will hold for precisely One year and One day. Do not fear it's stability, I am confident in my formulaic combination of those secret powers of the mind, and my mastery of the weave. You need not fear an imminent drop into a dark and cold grave.

With that, the Illithid gives a vocal chortle, sounding far too much like muck and slime popping and boiling and bubbling.

hiiamtom
2015-09-23, 09:07 PM
I test it out, after the last bridge probably you all are probably wary. There is no offense intended, Mister. Brama strides confidently over the floating planks. He stops a few in and asks What lay beyond here, anyway?

DMBlackhart
2015-09-23, 09:10 PM
Brahma feels the familiar tingle as Grazillax forms a telepathic bond with him as well.

Hm, unsure to be honest. As I said, one of my fellow Brothers in the Order, master Y, claims there is a temple somewhere beyond this expanse. Maybe he is right, maybe he was miss informed. Regardless, until I can inform him the bridge is complete, we will have no way of knowing.

If you souls are brave enough to venture into the uncharted dark, I tip my metaphorical hat to you all. A very commendable task indeed.

The bridge holds firm as Brahma sets his hulking weight on it. The planks do not move even the slightest, stuck fast as if by tar.

mmorality
2015-09-23, 09:15 PM
Without a second thought Orla traipses a short ways out on to the bridge. "Spectacular!" She jumps up and down on one of the planks, and bends down to examine threads of magic that hold the planks together.

She scribbles wildly while she talks, half to herself, half to Grazillax. Conjuration and transmutation, of course. But I wouldn't have initially thought to involve abjuration elements to strengthen the bridge. Merely manipulating the available materials would have reformed the bridge, but in its mostly dilapidated state. The magic is doing a lot of key structural work, in addition to binding the material components together. More difficult, but much more durable. With enough time, perhaps I could recreate this effect. But the particular invocations used were quite foreign. It appears that illithid manipulation of the Weave operates in a significantly different manner. I wonder -- must this be? Could your typical gnome wizard learn to work magic this way? Could an illithid learn to thread the Weave as gnomes do? Impossible to say without further study, ideally of a subject casting in a language I have a bit more familiarity with.

Provo
2015-09-23, 09:29 PM
Grazillax, it has been a surprising pleasure to meet you here. Perhaps when we meet next, we will be able to return the favor for your help.

With that, Marus follows Brama across the bridge.

mmorality
2015-09-23, 09:38 PM
Orla is obviously disappointed and torn. "Oh, are we, um, heading out so soon?" She turns back to Grazillax. "I hope we can meet again. Perhaps we will discover something about this temple of yours. Do you know anything about it? Why is it of such interest to this Master Y?" Orla seems overwhelmed by the questions she has, and they begin to come tumbling out of her as she watches some of her group make their way across the bridge. "You mentioned your sanctuary - where exactly is it? I'd love to see it. And what-" Orla catches herself and stops, suddenly aware that she may be overwhelming the illithid.

DMBlackhart
2015-09-23, 09:45 PM
Grazillax gives a courteous nod to Marus and the others.

Indeed. It has been a pleasure meeting you all as well.

Turning to Orla, the illithid responds with what could possibly be construed as a smile, if such a thing was possible on the aberrant being.

Indeed. And perhaps. I utilize the power of my mind, a spiritual and mental practice few of your surface dwellers know how to harness. With training you might yet learn the ways of my arts.

As for my sanctuary, I have left the key with your Tiefling friend. Should any of you have need of my help again, or should you have reason to visit the society, use that scroll and visit us. The incantation inscribe is very simple. Even one unversed in the ways of the Weave can express it's contents.

With that the Illithid begins walking off back the way your party appeared. Soon Grazillax has vanished into the darkness, the familiar tingle of his psionic bond lost.

mmorality
2015-09-23, 10:22 PM
Orla hurries to catch up to Marus to re-Light his pebble and then falls back once more to the middle of the pack, conversing with Topsy and examining her notes about the bridge.

Estralita
2015-09-23, 10:28 PM
Natali stood in amazement for a few second, after the illithid vanished, then hurried over to Orla. "That was amazing wasn't it?! To have that kind of power, and to use it so casually. Think about what we could do if we knew what they did. Maybe they have unraveled the secrets of the Weave!"

mmorality
2015-09-23, 10:32 PM
"That was amazing wasn't it?! To have that kind of power, and to use it so casually. Think about what we could do if we knew what they did. Maybe they have unraveled the secrets of the Weave!"

"Quite impressive, yes! But I am sure with diligent study, careful research, and a bit of luck that the secrets of the Weave are, in principle, just as available to you or I. At this very least, this is a hypothesis I intend to test!

Equally interesting, and more immediate, is this news of a temple in this direction. You seem to have a flair for the divine. Any clue what sort of temple might be found in a place such as this?

darklink_shadow
2015-09-23, 10:50 PM
Franz frowned a bit at the gabby scholars, but he guessed that if anything were to notice them, their chatty nature wouldn't be the first thing monsters would notice about a dozen people running through the darkness with glowing rocks.

"A curious creature he was. I suppose we should not assume all members of a vile race to be evil. Though it is folly to assume they are not either. Let them prove themselves, eh?"

Franz looked at the Drow for a long moment, then nodded to himself. "Drow, what did you say you name was? Tell me about yourself, a little. I could use some story for the road. We can trade tales, if you like."

hiiamtom
2015-09-23, 11:04 PM
Brama moves well ahead making sure the far side is clear before the group is caught on the bridge, he then waits for the group while chewing on a small piece of lather.

DMBlackhart
2015-09-23, 11:06 PM
Franz is treated to a long and surprising tale of Drow history and culture, of the rigors and difficulties of being raised in Menzoberranzan, and of the rather poor lot in life Males are afforded over the superior Females in the Matriarchy of the Drow.

With a morose, almost sad tone, Sarith finishes his lengthy tale, explaining fully how he ended up imprisoned by his own kind.

And so it was, I had been found unconscious on the streets, blood drenched me from head to my feet, the body of a high Priestess next to me, her torso torn to shreds by the very blade clutched in my hand.

I can't say what made me do it. I do not recall the events at all. Some times I doubt it all, and pray it merely a dark ploy by one of my superiors at gaining power.

I was vouched for by my sister, Elestra, and instead of being put to death on the spot, was taken away to suffer in Velkynvelve. I would have been the only prisoner not to leave with the others when it came time to trade slaves.

I had resigned to sit in that cell for the rest of my life, I was honestly scared to join you in your escape at first. Fearing more the repercussions I knew awaited us when you all failed.

The Drow pauses, thinking back to the Illithid.

Strangly, my mind felt a lot like it did just now with the Deep being as it did when I first awoke from my supposed murder. I can not say if my mind was my own, or if I am simply losing myself to the darkness...

Sarith than looks to Stool, and gives a soft, warm smile.

But what I do know is I share a kinship with this creature. I can't explain why, but when it shared it's spores with us I felt like I was bonded with this thing more than my own kind.

I hope to see it home safely, even if we go our separate ways after...

Estralita
2015-09-23, 11:39 PM
"Oh yes, indeed! One wonders what sort of precious items, might be here what mysteries we might uncover! I have done some research into the Underdark, but that is no replacement for having experienced it." Natali cast back in her memory for tales of religions in the Underdark.

Religion Check for exactly what Natali said:
[roll0]

UXLZ
2015-09-24, 12:17 AM
Vylund had simply remained silent. He'd heard nothing but tales of terror where the Illithid were concerned.

"That was... An interesting encounter. If we're going to be exploring this temple, I'm glad. Places like this seem like they're liable to house what I seek. Have any of you ever heard of a weapon called Dawnbringer?

DMBlackhart
2015-09-24, 12:41 AM
http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv122/DMT_Black/Dark%20Map%20Edit_zpssyo1xnih.png

The party heads off once more into the Darkness. The days begin to stretch on once more, rests become more frequent as you realize in the past Tenday you have seen nor heard any dangerous creatures yet.

Not only this, but the Drow patrol from Velkynvelve has not yet shown themselves to you. If they have yet to catch you in the time you've spent out in the wilds of the Underdark, it seems increasingly less likely they will find you yet.

Another Eight days pass, it's been Fourteen long days now since you escaped the prison. The constant fleeing and rushing through the darkness has left your party sore and uncomfortable. The single thought of reaching the Neverlight Grove becomes a beacon of hope in the darkness.

Your group soon slows their march, becoming quiet at the behest of Brahma who hears them first. Ahead, the sounds of goblins can be heard speaking in the common dialect of the underdark. (Undercommon/Deep speech)

"Hrrmmm... Steks wants out. Why can't we just runs for it? It's sleeps yes? It's nots awares? Why Broof? Why not try and run again?"

Of the three goblins you see corralled together in the dark cave ahead, the biggest speaks next.

"Urrgh. Dumbed Steks and Dumbed Greps knows whys! It's sleeps nows yes. But it's knows when we leaves. It's wont lets us go far! No, Broof says we waits. Broof always rights, isn't he's?"

While the goblin converse you notice a few strange things. The first, each has a collar and chain wrapped tightly around their scrawny necks.

The next is that they are sickly and frail, no doubt from malnutrition.

And lastly, among all three goblins sits a single robed figured. Draped in dark black robes, the figure is unmoving and almost invisible of the darkness of the cavern.

Lighting = Poor. A soft grey/green haze fills the cave, a sort of magical lighting from ambient weave intrustion.

You can start your party any where in the red circle, I will assume the NPCs will be staying out of combat (and farther away from the starting area) until someone asks or forces them to help.

Post HP, initiative, etc as I mentioned before with each post. And turns will be handled in initiative order until this encounter is resolved, violent or otherwise.

hiiamtom
2015-09-24, 01:43 AM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15 AC
Passive: 10 initiative, 16 perception, 11 insight

Brama turns his big head to Marus expectantly, and takes out a cudgel and javelin. They seem to know something strange from these part, we take them alive.

mmorality
2015-09-24, 01:50 AM
Orla 12/12 hp; 12 AC (15 soon)
Passive: 11 Perception, 11 Insight, 16 Investigation
Spells 3/3 1st (2/3 soon)

Near the back, Orla quietly surrounds herself with the Weave.

Acting on initiative round 13, Orla casts Mage Armor on herself (AC is now 15).

Orla's Portent rolls for this day: [roll0], [roll1].

UXLZ
2015-09-24, 02:38 AM
Vylund: 19/19 HP, 16 AC
Passives: Perception 13, Insight 13, History 14
Initiative: [roll0]

At the back of the party, Vylund slowly moves a hand up to the hilt of his Greatsword.

Provo
2015-09-24, 06:14 AM
Marus Lancaster 24HP 20AC* Initiative 11
Passives: Perception 13 Insight 13

Marus again motions for the group to stop. A slaver... and a particularly cruel one judging by the state of those goblins. We ourselves are fleeing enslavement. Should we not try to free them as well?

Be prepared to attack on my signal or at the slightest provocation!

Marus lifts his shield and mutters a prayer, as he feels the protection of Torm come over him. He looks around to determine if there are any other threats, and then he approaches the goblins. Whispering to avoid waking the apparently sleeping figure, Marus speaks to the apparent leader in Deep Tongue. Broof is it? What trouble are you in? What is that robed figure sitting with you?

Marus moves in AFTER everybody has made their preparations.
He casts shield of faith (AC increase), and uses the defend action

Perception (to find additional threats):[roll0]
Persuasion (to seem friendly, and keep them quiet):[roll1]
Insight when they respond (to determine truthfulness):[roll2]

smoke prism
2015-09-24, 06:58 AM
Tinver 14HP 15AC Initiative 14
Passive perception 10 Insight (not sure)

Tinver, up on seeing the goblins and the dark figures, he immediately ducks down and quickly and stealthily tries to move, then dashes behind the group of goblins and the dark figure, hoping the gloom and noise of his companions would cover his approach.

From behind the group he attempts to try and work-out what the dark figure is.

Attempts to move, then cunning action to use a bonus action to dash behind the group of figures (i think about 90 feet, trying to get as closes as possible behind them).
stealth:[roll0] (disadvantage if required [roll1])
perception: [roll2]
If preception works, arcana to workout what the figure is: [roll3]

darklink_shadow
2015-09-24, 08:46 AM
Franz: 21 HP, 18 AC, +2 Init

Franz studied the drow's face as he spoke, a grim acknowledgement etched on his own. "I have no tale to trade for one such as that. But I would not mind it if you watched over Stool while I had to sleep, in the future."

Just as he finished that thought, it appeared that there was a new threat. He gestured for the Drow to stand beside him, and then with the drow close enough to protect Stool, Franz approached the front line.

DMBlackhart
2015-09-24, 09:46 AM
Rushing ahead from the others, Tinver skulks in the few shadows of this cave. It would seem hard to stay shrouded when this strange, shimmering green mist fills nearly the entire cave, but the Tiefling has proven it possible.

Within moments Tinver has gone from being next to the group at the cave entrance, to being far and away, behind the goblins and their slaver master, hidden skillfully behind a crop of rocks.

Orla's spell coalesces, the Weave bending and shaping to his will. Soon he is coated in a thin, barely visible set of pure, magical force to serve as extra protection. However something seemed off. As the gnome finished his spell, the dark green mist that pervaded this room begins to gather, much like the Weave did.

It forms and shapes, causing what can only be felt as a "disruption" in the Weave, and tossing in some ambient magic into the Wizard's spell.

Suddenly, Orla is struck with a sense of desperate and horrific fear. These innocent, sickly goblins suddenly seemed like the worse nightmare, the darkest evil from within Orla's deepest thoughts.

Franz stands guard near the front, weapon ready should things turn ugly...

The smallest Goblin, Greps you think it's name is, lets out a quiet squeak when Marus approaches, speaking to them in the alien language of the deep.

In a hushed tone it replies, starting to shiver from head to toe.

"Y-y-yous l-leave. I-its wills wake u-up. Runs w-whiles yous can!

The robed figure begins to stir. Despite the hushed tones, the creature seems to need little provocation to notice the threat before it.

Vylund and Brahma both draw weapons, preparing to attack.

The robed figure awakens fully, it's drooped head coming up to star at your group. Marus sees it first. Beneath the cloak seems to be nothing but two beady yellow eyes. No other features can be made out.

Suddenly the entity screams a harrowing cry. Much like that of a fell wind blowing through your very soul, leaving a shivering and a chill down your spine.

As the situation progresses, things become more tense. Four of the creatures find their way out from behind rocks. Where there were few shadows in this cavern, too many of these things seemed to remain hidden. They easily met, or perhaps even surpassed Tinver in stealth and skill.

As Natali imbues the voice of her god into her companions and herself, the iridescent green mist begins to coalesce and form around the woman. Slowly it forms and solidifies, becoming a thick, syrupy colored barrier between the Half-elf and the outside world.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-24, 09:55 AM
"It seems we've started the ... witch, perhaps? I'm doubting this will end peacefully. judging the fight to break out at any moment, he takes his maul in hand, ready to crack some bones.

"You are woefully out numbered, slavers. You should surrender now. Do so, let us pass unmolested, and you'll not be dead when this is over. "

hiiamtom
2015-09-24, 09:58 AM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15 AC.
Passive: 10 initiative, 16 perception, 11 insight.
Spells: 2/2 1st.

Brama takes a step, marking his prey and hurling a javelin before stepping into the fray. Show yourself fiend!
Bonus: Hunter's Mark Robed McYelloweyes
Attack: [roll0], [roll1]
Move: Into melee, draw javelin

UXLZ
2015-09-24, 11:38 AM
Passives: Perception 13, Insight 13, History 14, Initiative 10
Spells: N/A

"What a pain, what a pain..." Vylund mutters under his breath. He disliked having to fight under these sorts of conditions, where they knew not their foe's strength. Still, he knew he'd have to get used to it.

He will attack the nearest slaver if one is in range, otherwise he will move towards them attempting to stand behind cover where possible.

Estralita
2015-09-24, 12:16 PM
Natali, to her embarrassment, had not been paying close attention to the road. The ambush made her feel flat-footed, like she had disappointed her Goddess by not paying attention to the signs available. She whispered a prayer to her Goddess, granting some of her wisdom to her companions, and imbued her staff with a touch of divine power.

Once again, the story rushes forwards when I'm asleep.

Natali Mansk
Passive: Perception: 15 Initiative:11 AC: 15 HP: 14, Spell Slots:3, Spells Prepared:Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Bless, Cure Wounds, Inflict Wounds.

Using Natali's Action to cast Bless on Brahma, Marus, and Vylund
Bonus Action Cast of Shalilagh on her Quarterstaff

And yes, I noticed the mist, but there's not a lot that Natali can do in a fight that isn't magic, so might as well see what happens.

mmorality
2015-09-24, 01:40 PM
Orla takes a faltering half-step backwards, her eyes wide with fear and locked onto the smallest of the goblins.

smoke prism
2015-09-24, 02:24 PM

Tinver swears under his breath upon recognizing the creature
"What in the heavens are vile speakers doi... " He trails off mid sentences and swears again as more of the dammed creatures appear from behind rock and out of shadows even he didn't even notice.

Seeing his companions getting ready to fight, he dashes back the way he came, stopping in front of his companions and clamps his hands round his ears. After doing this he yells to companions.
"Everyone cover your ears and do not engage the creatures. They will only harm use if we give them causes too. Whatever you do, do not listen to them speak or it will be your end "

With that done, Tinver observes the Vile speaker and starts to sing in a loud and frightened tone.

Attempts to move, then cunning action to use a bonus action to dash in front of the party (going the way he came), aiming to interpose him self between those that are attacking.
He then covers his ears and sings as loudly as he possibly can. Preform for the song: [roll0]

mmorality
2015-09-24, 04:55 PM
12/12 hp, 15AC, 2/3 1st lvl spell slots (soon 1/3), frightened

Orla retreats backwards out of the mist, letting off three blasts of magical force at the creature injured by Brahma, and retreats further down the passageway, shivering with fear as she watches the goblin intently.

Magic Missile, targeted at the creature injured by Brahma. (If that one is dead by the time she acts, she'll fire at another one of the vile speakers.)
Hit: ~~magic missile can't miss~~
Damage: [roll0]

now down to 1/3 1st level spell slots

hiiamtom
2015-09-24, 04:59 PM
Brama. 13/20HP, 15 AC.
Passive: 12 initiative, 16 perception, 6 insight.
Spells: 1/2 1st.

MOOOO! Brama continues his assault focused on the central figure, striking with horn and blade.
Attack (Horns): (1d20+6)[11]+(1d4)[3], (1d10+4)[12]+(1d6)[2]
Bonus (cutlass/scimitar): (1d20+6)[7]+(1d4)[3], [roll0]

If the first attack hits and kills him, then my bonus action moves my Hunter's Mark and I avoid a fumble at initiative 11.

Provo
2015-09-24, 05:22 PM
Marus Lancaster Round 2
24 HP, 20 AC, BLESSED

Marus shouts at the creatures You think you wretched beasts can best me? Then face the might of Torm!

Following his challenge, Marus charges one of the previously hidden monsters, and lands a devastating blow fueled by holy power.

Marus wants to be their target, so he tries to seem like a big threat.
Intimidation: [roll0]

Attack: [roll1] + Bless [roll2]
Damage:[roll3]
+Divine Smite if successful: [roll4]
+extra if demons/undead: [roll5]

Grand total: 17attack, 18 damage (22 if demons/undead)

Estralita
2015-09-24, 08:52 PM
Natali knew she was taking a risk casting magic in the fog but for some reason, she didn't feel attacked by it. In fact she felt stronger. Still, she saw the results of other's magic, and didn't want to take any chances. She quickly backed up, and whispered a prayer to her goddess again, this time for the sake of the bleeding Tinver. Once done, she racked her own brain for information about the fog and it's effects.

Going for a Healing Word to heal Tinver.

[roll0]

Also an Arcana check trying to see what this whole magic affecting fog is.

[roll1]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-24, 11:07 PM
Franz' call to the mysterious beings go unheeded, they begin to move, gathering to surround your party and isolate them.

From under robes long, sharp pieces of obsidian are drawn. Serving as makeshift swords, the robed figures advance, lashing and swinging wildly with their razor-sharp rocks.

Brahma is the first to suffer from these curious entities. It seems even unprovoked, they care little for intruders on their gatherings.

The creature most center, surrounded by goblin slaves begins to utter something strange, something alien. It speaks in an alien tongue none in your party know how to decipher. Brahma's ears begin to bleed, his mind wrenching at hearing these strange, almost evil words. It causes physical exhaustion to listen to the entity speak.

Another two come up from the side of Brahma, previously hidden by stalagmites, they strike out at the Minotaur with incredible force. The beast dodges the blows from one of the strange beings, but another hits home hard, draining the Minotaur of his vitality with a single, piercing strike.

The last Two beings advance on the group behind Tinver, before he can run and rejoin the others. They surround him on both sides, blades drawn and intent on killing. A painful strike leaves the Tiefling physically weak, blood splattering against the cavern floor.

Natali, in all her wisdom identifies this mist. It seems to be something unheard of in the underdark prior. She knows the lore only due to events of the past, in which a similar magical incursion followed the rise of the Demon Prince Graz'zt from his domain in the hells of Ba'ator.

Faerzrezz, it was called. A mystical energy that was exuded when the Demon Prince began to establish a foot hold on the material plane. The mist corrupts and twists the weave. It even permeates to the very spirit and word of magic, corrupting divine prayers.
However, the effects are random, impossible to categorize, and a mix of baneful and beneficial.

Along with the spell of healing that boasts Tinver's body, restoring his health and vitality, the dark swirls of Faerzrezz form a portal, out from which trots a gleaming, pure entity. Something TRULY alien, especially for the underdark.
A Unicorn burst fourth from the portal, immediately identifying those with impure hearts and striking down the evil monstrosities.

Orla's piercing magical bolts strike through the robed figure closest Brahma. The one holding the chains to the goblins screams in agony, it's body melting and fading like mist as an inky black wisp escapes the robes and bleeds into the cave around you.

As Tinver flees the monsters, they manage one last strike before the Tiefling disengages, and begins fleeing towards the others.

Marus strikes, his blade empowered by holy vigor. The strike cuts cleanly through one of the closer Two robed monsters. The robes lay tattered and the body of whatever lay under it spread out about the cave as an inky dark mist.

Brahma's mighty blow connects with the creature surrounded by goblins, interrupting it's vile verse and freeing the Minotaur's mind.

The strike deals considerable damage, visibly harming the entity, but it does not lay it low, as the monster draws a rough-hewn obsidian blade just as it's Four other friends had.

Vylund prepares to strike at one of the monsters closest to Brahma

UXLZ
2015-09-24, 11:29 PM
Passives: Perception 13, Insight 13, History 14, Initiative 6

Hit Rolls: [roll0] Adv/Disadv, [roll1]
Damage Rolls: 2d6 + 3, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19867430&postcount=395
GWF Rolls: [roll2], [roll3]

Vylund was shocked. A unicorn, here, why, how!? However, his attention was forcibly drawn back to the fight by the creatures attacking Brahma. He closes in on the nearest one, drawing and swinging his great sword in one clean motion.

OR//

Moves as close as he can, preparing to strike those foes who would enter his reach. (Ready: Attack)

We need a map of this thing ASAP. I have no idea where I am relative to everyone else, so sorry if anything I do isn't physically possible. >_>

darklink_shadow
2015-09-24, 11:47 PM
Franz frowned, and the swung his heavy hammer at the nearest foe, hoping to topple them. The time for words was over, it seemed.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1]+6.
If I roll a 1 or a 2, here are rerolls to replace them: [roll2] using the first roll first, and the second roll second if needed.

That's 12 Bludgeoning damage, for the folks at home.

Provo
2015-09-25, 07:45 AM
Marus HP24 AC20 Initiative:13
Blessed, Concentrating

Marus remained unfazed when the unicorn appeared. Clearly it was a gift from the heavens to help his cause.

Marus called out to the good creature These evil slavers are seeking our death! Help us cleanse these tunnels of them Then Marus proceeded to attack the nearest of the Vile Speakers.

Persuasion on unicorn: [roll0]
If advantage (I assume the unicorn would want to help): [roll1]

Attack roll: [roll2] +Bless [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

hiiamtom
2015-09-25, 08:44 AM
Brama. 6/20HP, 15 AC.
Passive: 12 initiative, 16 perception, 6 insight.

Brama continues to fight in a flurry, the strikes gaining desperation with further injury. He continues to gore the central figure, hoping to drop him once and for all.
Attack (horns): [roll0]+[roll1], [roll2]+[roll3] - 28 vs AC, 7 damage
Bonus (cutlass): [roll4]+[roll5], [roll6] - 10 vs AC, 10 damage

If 7 damage brings him down by my second attack, then my bonus action is to move Hunter's Mark to a creature attacking me.

DMBlackhart
2015-09-25, 11:52 AM
Two of the wicked Vile Speakers have fallen. The remaining figures double their efforts at killing your group, but seeing the sheer numbers, it was a lost cause.

All three pull away, retreating as far back as they can, the goblin slaves left behind as they flee. As the monsters slink back towards the shadows, their vile chants can be heard in the din, tearing into your minds and corrupting your souls...

Brahma, unfortunate as it is, falls victim to the dark speak once more, however his mind, already strained, resists stronger than ever. The language was unwholesome, evil and vile to all things living.

Marus faired worse than the massive Minotaur, his mind and body began to reel at the effects, causing his legs to shake and his body to develop bruises and burns from some unseen source.

With the wicked song over, Marus was first to act. He chased the vile entities to the back of the cave, striking and hacking in honor of Torm. His blade strikes and tears one of the monsters into shreds, leaving little evidence behind.

The Unicorn stands resolute, seemingly unmoving despite it's fleeing prey. With a radiant burst of goodly energy, a warm breeze washes over the entire cave. The creature's scream in agony, the magic burning at their very existence.

Brahma gores and strikes, visibly weakening the retreating horrors.

Vylund's mighty sword strikes and tears as the entities retreat, leaving another destroyed and banished from this place.

With only one Vile Speaker remaining, backed into a corner, Franz pulls to the lead, his mighty hammer crushing the being into pure mist with one mighty thrust.

The cave goes eerily quiet, and after a few seconds the unicorn seemingly vanishes into thin air. The warmth of it's magic remains, giving you all comfort after this harrowing experience.

mmorality
2015-09-25, 12:00 PM
Recovering from her fear, Orla steps forward once again, inspecting what little remains of the Vile Speakers.

That was...an unsettling experience. This mist seems to have some magical properties. And previously connected with the incursion of a demon prince, hmm? Quite worrying. I suggest we free these goblins and move on quickly, unless someone has a permanent solution for this mist.

UXLZ
2015-09-25, 12:01 PM
Vylund immediately sheathes his sword and goes over to the group of Goblins, checking them for injury and damage outside of their obvious undernourishment.

"Are you hurt? Can you walk?

After quickly examining them for any immediate concerning matters, he steps back so the others may take charge, and heads to the edges of the group, wary of any new threats.

He's moving away because I probably won't be able to get in another reply for a while. Going to bed now, and a friend's 21st is tomorrow.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-25, 12:37 PM
Franz picked up an obsidian dagger and inspected it before pocketing the thing. "Goblins... ugh."

The human hefted his hammer onto his shoulder and glared at the situation. Killing captives was wrong, but goblins were evil. And they'd killed enough of his troops to deserve nothing more than a swift end.

"Which tribe are you from, little goblins?" If anyone moved to free them, he would move to stop them, insisting they answer the question first.

Estralita
2015-09-25, 12:41 PM
Natali gives a sigh of relief, seeing the creatures defeat. She nods in response to Orla. "The is is Faerzrezz, it twists and corrupts the weave, causing random effects, both good and bad, whenever any sort of magic is used within it. My healing spell brought the unicorn, for instance. We probably shouldn't push our luck though." Natali frowned, trying to remember what else she knew about the Demon Prince, but not sharing her thoughts.

History Check to dig up more info on the Demon Prince. See if he could possible be involved.

[roll0]

Provo
2015-09-25, 12:41 PM
Marus

Orla be careful! you should be burning those robes. What use do you have with tattered cloth, especially from such demented creatures?

Provo
2015-09-25, 12:49 PM
Marus grew concerned when he heard of the demonic origins of the mist. This group was simply a bunch of escaped prisoners, they were not equipped to handle demons. However, he wasn't about to doubt his God's will for placing him here.

Turning to the goblins he asks, Are you ok? Do you need food? Can you tell us anything about the caves around here?

Religion to know more about the demon: [roll0]

If persuasion needed: [roll1]
Advantage for saving them: [roll2]

mmorality
2015-09-25, 01:06 PM
Marus

Orla be careful! you should be burning those robes. What use do you have with tattered cloth, especially from such demented creatures?

"I'd hoped to find something a little more...substantial. But it appears these creatures almost completely disintegrate when destroyed. While I would like to study these robes, and that obsidian, I suppose I don't have the proper equipment and we perhaps have more pressing concerns." Orla looks back at the way they came. "Perhaps this mist will dissuade the drow, at least. I'll burn these robes. Someone set these goblins free, if they'll promise not to harm us. See if they know anything about our surroundings."

Orla pushes the robes together with her quarterstaff and sets them ablaze with Fire Bolt, carefully outside the mist.

DMBlackhart
2015-09-25, 01:08 PM
In response to Franz' inquiries, the goblins become skittish and withdrawn. However, force of will and the new notion they are safer now than they were before under the domination of the Vile Speakers lets loose the smallest goblin's tongue.

"Mo-Mokrul. From Dalelands, far from home Grep's is. Far from home with his Brothers. Kidnapped by Darks Elfs. Put in cage high off ground, left to starve.

Finally, we released, or so we thought. Me and brothers sold to strange Dark Elf. Scary but beautiful, strong looking. He felt, unnatural, evilerest than other Darks Elf.

New master, call himself Drizzt. He keep us only a day, before loosing us in the caves.

Greps and brothers cower, we hide, we try to find surface but can't. In another day we got found. Found by scary monsters. By robed evils you slained. We died slowly. Every day they spoke to us, every day we lose our minds, we lose our strength.

Now we are safe... W-we are safe yes?"

Turning to Marus, the middle goblin speaks next.

"Oooh food yes. So hungry. Not eat in Tenday. You has food? We serve masters for food!"

Provo
2015-09-25, 01:28 PM
With a measure of reluctance, Marus hands each of the goblins a days worth of rations. Yes we have food, but not a great deal of it. And these caves are never safe... But you are safe from those creatures. Now tell me please. Do you know anything about where the surface was? Or did you run into anything else strange before you saw these creatures?

OOC: just wondering if they have any useful information. And IF we let them follow us, we may need to slow our pace.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-25, 01:29 PM
"Mokrul? Never heard of that tribe."

Franz narrowed his eyes, and then dropped his hammer onto the ground and inspected the chains briefly before looking for the key to release them.

"You are indeed far from home, Grep. As am I. Don't do anything stupid, and we'll see to trying to find which way is your home. But remember this when you next see a man. I don't want to hear about Mokrul raids or wars in the future."

Assuming Franz can find the key, he unlocks the goblins and hefty his hammer again.

smoke prism
2015-09-25, 02:15 PM
Tinver glares bleakly at the fog a look of despondency plastered on his face (for comparisons sake he look sadder than when he was a prisoner).
Absent mindedly he picks up an obsidian blades and looks at the green fog.
"What is dammed Faerzrezz doing in the underdark? That was associated with the Demon Prince Graz'zt. This can't be good news."

As he says this he examines the vile speakers blade trying to workout if there is any thing special about is beside the material it;s made of. After this his mind drifts onto thing about what he knows abou the demon Prince.

Arcana to see what he knows about the mentioned demon prince: [roll0] (advantage as that's his field of study: [roll1])
History to do the same as above: [roll2] (advantage as that's his field of study: [roll3])

Arcana to see if the vile speakers blades have any special propitiates: [roll4]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-25, 02:38 PM
Marus' generosity is met with looks of awe from the goblin trio. A loud "Squee" is heard from the smallest as they all begin chewing down the packed meats and breads with vigor.

Through puffy, stuffed cheeks the largest goblin Broof speaks again.

"Mn-mn" He says while shaking his head back and forth.

"We'fs dodn't shfee d'surfrace. Been'f here'f tmoo longf."
After the goblin finishes chewing, it wipes it's dirty, warted little face, picking at one of it's yellowed teeth.

"But wes do knows secrets's. Those evils shadows's. Theys take us manys place. Nearbys, theres is ruins. Olds sky city Broofs thinks. Greps's smartsers. He's says it's Nen-v... Tenv-ter.... Nethrial-er-er... somethings or udders. Old sky temples. Useds to floats Greps's thinks.

Broofs thinks Greps dumb. But Broof still loves's Greps, even if Greps's got the shorts ends of the beetle."

At Franz' behest, the goblins help to search and find the key. With no luck after a few moments, the goblins turn to bashing their manacles on the stones nearby. With their diminished strength it'd be impossible to break free with this method.

You notice the chains craft, it seems strange. No key hole, no seems in the weld. It's as if they were made from a single mold with the goblin's wrists included in the process. But a lack of burns makes you question how this feat could be performed without magic.

Tinver examines one of the obsidian weapons. Touching it sends a chill down your spine. You start to notice more detail, the material is too soft to be Obsidian, and not nearly as sharp as the volcanic glass would be with such an edge.

The gleam is different as well, duller. Experience tell Tinver the weapons are crafted from something more like bone or cartilage. But from what creature would such a large, and such an odd, glossy color of black bone originate from?

mmorality
2015-09-25, 02:45 PM
But wes do knows secrets's. Those evils shadows's. Theys take us manys place. Nearbys, theres is ruins. Olds sky city Broofs thinks. Greps's smartsers. He's says it's Nen-v... Tenv-ter.... Nethrial-er-er... somethings or udders. Old sky temples. Useds to floats Greps's thinks.

Broofs thinks Greps dumb. But Broof still loves's Greps, even if Greps's got the shorts ends of the beetle.[/I]"

Orla produces a book from her pack and strains her memory, seeing if she can make sense of the goblin's attempt to pronounce the name.

Orla wracks her memory for knowledge of the ruins the goblins speak of.

[roll0] (thats the same for History, Arcana, or Religion, whichever is relevant.

smoke prism
2015-09-25, 02:52 PM
Tinver turns the weapon over and trys to puzzle out what creature it came from. As he dose this he says.
"We should get out of here quickly. That fogs linked to a demon and i for one don't want to be here when all heel, literally brakes loss."

Tinver than makes a mental note to tell his order about these event (he takes some notes in his large journal next time we rest).

Nature to workout what creature the bone or cartilage is from: [roll0]

darklink_shadow
2015-09-25, 04:04 PM
Franz positioned the chains carefully, then ordered the goblins to stay back before swinging his maul violently onto the chains in an attempt to break them.

AC is probably 0. So I will roll anyways, but I expect to auto hit.

"Yeah. Let's get out of the mist. Anyone know how these magic chains work? Let's get them off the little goblins."

[roll0]
[roll1] +3 and rerolls for damage. [roll2]

That's 10 damage. Not sure if objects can be crit or not.

The chains shatter, and Franz smiles. "Nevermind. They are breakable by hammer. I'll break the rest of them once we are out of this mist."

mmorality
2015-09-25, 04:55 PM
"A fallen flying city, a relic of Netheril? We must investigate this temple! Who knows what unimaginable discoveries could be made!"

hiiamtom
2015-09-25, 05:00 PM
Brama breathes heavily after the assault, and sits for a bit saying I must rest, those creatures have left me drained. In an hour or so we'll keep moving. He then watches the group piecing together clues from the most and weapons. Faerzrezz... That sound like Drow, they like zzzz sounds.

After the goblins speak some Brama pipes up. Sky city!? Ever since that ilithid mentioned a temple ruin I knew it could be one of two things: a drow temple to demon lords, or one of the fabled ruins of Netheril. That temple used to be above the surface and fell during the spell plague! It be said those ruins bear many treasures lost in history... It might be worth a detour.
HD recovery: [roll0]

mmorality
2015-09-25, 05:07 PM
"I wholeheartedly agree my friend. The drow will no doubt continue their chase, but such an historic opportunity cannot be passed up! A fallen city might also provide some opportunity to evade our pursuers."

If we're taking a short rest, Orla will use her Arcane Recovery to recover one spell slot. Back up to 2/3 1st level.

smoke prism
2015-09-25, 05:17 PM
Tinver follows Barma's lead and sits down rest, scribbling in his journal about the: fog, the demon lord and the fact that these vile speakers were using blades crafted from the bones of undead dragons and the fact it feels heavy and ungainly in his hand, were those creatures used them with deft and deadly skill. He than straps it to his back for further study.

As he rests he reclines, but at the mention of a sky temple with magic treasure he speaks up.
"oh, that must be the place that the mind flayer was on about. A detour might find use some good magic items to help use on our quest out of here. "

short rest: [roll0]

Arcana to see what he knows about the temple: [roll1]
History to do the same as above: [roll2]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-25, 06:10 PM
And so the journey continues. Deep deep into the Underdark. With each passing day, you feel as if you're only getting further buried into the depths of this wicked realm.

Some days, your throat feels tight, claustrophobia gripping at your mind ever so lightly. Other times you begin to hear strange things in the darkness.
Echoing from the walls, faces in the dark and the smell of brimestone and blood strain your senses...

It has been been Five more days journey through the cold and dark, the moral of your fellow prisoners begins to strain, the twins Topsy and Turvy have taken to "creative" games involving clawing, punching, and biting at each other when they pass by strange insects and flora. They've dubbed it "Slugs n Bugs".

The Kuo-Toa has remained disturbingly quiet. Whether he came of his own volition or not, he refrains from speaking to others, avoids eating all but the most meager sources, and falls behind the group constantly. It is clear he is not happy about this whole journey.

Jimjar has proven mysterious and resourceful as ever. Most days he seems to vanish from the party, only to reappear at meal time and when bedrolls are unfurled.

Finally, something in the dark breaks the monotony, the air goes stale, yet a chill breeze begins to tear violently through the single-file passage your group now explores.

Vylund hears a mysterious voice in his head. The others look on to him as he goes blank, staring into blackness as if entranced.

Hello? Is someone there...? Oh please, I need your help! I have been trapped in the dark for so long... so very long. Please, won't you help to free me?

The soft, feminine voice dissipates as quickly as it arrived. In moments, the chill vanishes, and a light, soft breeze can be felt perpetually within the tunnels ahead.

As your group pushes onward you are led to what at first, seems like a dead end, is suddenly revealed to be a set of stone doors, resting lopsided in the tunnel. While the passage skews slightly at an angle, the doorway seems easy enough to open.

When you push the stone doors free and explore the chamber beyond, you feel the light breeze vanish, only to be replaced with stale, dry air. Immediately the smell of death is obvious to you. This reeks of a mausoleum.

This entrance chamber is approximately Thirty-feet to a side, and has only two dominate features. The first is a staircase set in the furthest reach of the room, leading deep down into further darkness.

The other is a large, amazingly detailed mural carved into one of the stone walls. Those with eyes attuned to the dark could make out more, but without a suitable light source the room seems rather barren and empty.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-25, 06:29 PM
"We should not disturb the dead. It is sacrilege." Franz says immediately, gesturing for them to turn back. "We must fund a different route to Stool's village. And then to this temple we seek."

mmorality
2015-09-25, 06:31 PM
Orla steps forward to the mural, her curiosity overcoming her caution. She whispers a word of magic, and the tip of her quarterstaff bursts into light, illuminating the wall before her. (At the same time, the pebble held my Marus goes out.)

Orla casts Light on her quarterstaff and examines the mural. This extinguishes the previous cast of Light on Marus's pebble. Sorry buddy!

Various INT checks to study the mural: [roll0].

Orla's Portent rolls for the day: [roll1], [roll2].

darklink_shadow
2015-09-25, 06:33 PM
In reaction to the curious fool's action Franz pulls free his weapon, prepared for whatever she will awaken down her.

"Put out that light!" Franz insisted. "This is a tomb, and should not be disturbed."

mmorality
2015-09-25, 06:41 PM
"Put out that light!" Franz insisted. "This is a tomb, and should not be disturbed."

"Tomb, you say? That smell -- a plausible hypothesis. Hopefully this mural can confirm or disconfirm that." It is only after a moment of examining the wall that Franz's tone seems to register with Orla. "Don't worry. I don't have any intention of desecrating corpses or anything like that. But graves and burial grounds are incredible archaeological finds. They contain much valuable information about past societies, reflecting everything from religious traditions to social hierarchies."

darklink_shadow
2015-09-25, 06:55 PM
Franz frowned but relented, keeping his eyes moving and searching for enemies. "Let's keep our tones respectful at least. And no grave robbing."

mmorality
2015-09-25, 06:58 PM
"Let's keep our tones respectful at least. And no grave robbing."

"I've no need for baubles, and certainly mean no disrespect."

Provo
2015-09-25, 07:08 PM
Marus
Franz, it is sacrilege to disturb the dead, but I fear this place was desecrated well before we arrived... Perhaps we could put the spirits here to rest

With that, Marus called on his God to sense the world around him

OOC: Divine sees to detect Good, Evil, undead, demons, angels

mmorality
2015-09-25, 07:32 PM
Franz, it is sacrilege to disturb the dead, but I fear this place was desecrated well before we arrived... Perhaps we could put the spirits here to rest[/b]

"Hmm, also possible. But for the moment, all we have is speculation. I'd like to move forward once I've had a chance to fully examine this mural."

hiiamtom
2015-09-25, 08:41 PM
Brama, still unable to shake an aching soreness in his muscles, breaks from Marus' side and draws very close to Orla. We should have gone to Blingdenstone, I don't know why I thought spending any longer than needed down here was a good idea. He tries to act natural while keeping his head on a swivel.

UXLZ
2015-09-26, 05:29 AM
Vylund looks around, fascinated. What was it he heard. Where was it coming from. He felt something... Strange, from the voice. It didn't feel evil, but that could also be a trick.

"There's something... Someone... Somewhere... Here? Or back there? Where are they? They're trapped? Did you hear, did you hear? In the dark, in the dark, they need our help."

He caught he oddly he was speaking, and corrected himself, explaining.

"Please do not be too concerned, but a short amount of time ago I heard something, in my head. Someone - or some thing - asking for help. They said they've been... Trapped, for a long time, in the dark. They want to be freed. We need to be careful, but I want to help. That's why...

He turns to Franz.

"Franz, you are a former soldier as well, are you not? We've both seen an incredible amount of death. Corpses piled high, burnt to ash. That is desecration. This mural is here because it is meant to be seen. Please allow Orla to investigate it. There might be a trapped soul here, something we are able to help. Let the light shine bright for a while longer. The dead do not mind, the dead do not have the eyes to see it.

Maybe it contained a clue. Where did that voice come from... Could it still be heard? Could it hear him? He imagines himself shouting as loudly as he can, imagines ripples of thought-sound spreading away from him, penetrating rock and stone.
Of course, he had no idea if that would even do anything.

ARE YOU THERE!?

CAN YOU HEAR ME!?

WHERE ARE YOU!?

DMBlackhart
2015-09-26, 10:25 AM
The party's voices, however hushed, echo loudly in the quiet and stillness of this tomb.

A fine layer of dust covers everything, and you notice yours are the first footsteps to intrude this place in so many years.

Finally, as Orla finishes investigating the Mural, you hear a soft, whimpering moan come from down below the staircase...

The stone mural depicts a woman of strange origins standing high atop a platform. Wand and orb in hand, surrounded by what you can only assume are subservients. The platform of the Mural shows a door, carved and shaped to look a lot like the entrance door of this very tomb.

Surrounding the scenery, draped in the back of the Mural are many many floating, soaring cities and temples. No doubt this indicates the era of the Netherese.

An educated guess would tell you that makes the woman at the fore most likely the powerful and now ancient Brysis Khaem. A glorious and powerful inventor, leader, and mage. A true master over the weave.

UXLZ
2015-09-26, 10:53 AM
Vylund immediately moves to investigate the noise, keeping a hand on the hilt of his great sword. He does not, however, leave sight of the party straight away. He's somewhat wary, but too worried about the possibility that it isn't to really care. The voice he had heard earlier further serves to drive away what caution he should have had, and he presses onward. Pausing momentarily to give the others a chance to react.

"I'm going to check that out. If anyone wants to come, go ahead. If you hear me yelling, it's probably a trap or foe."

Second rolls are for in case of Advantage/Disadvantage

Perception: [roll0] [roll1]
Investigation: [roll2] [roll3]
Insight: [roll4] [roll5]

*Edit* First are universally worse. Just my luck >_>

darklink_shadow
2015-09-26, 04:08 PM
"A pyre is not desecration." Franz said, clearly on edge.

"Breaking into a stranger's tomb is akin to breaking into his home. We should... what was that noise? Let's go. The dead are waking at our trespass. We do not belong here. You've had your chance to look at the mural. Wait, Vylund, where are you going?"

Franz moved toward the man, intent on dragging him back.

As a player I am interesting in exploring this, but Franz isn't. He just wants to get Stool home and then get home himself.

mmorality
2015-09-26, 04:25 PM
"If someone is trapped down here, we should assist them. But I advise caution. If you're hearing voices, that suggests someone with magical or supernatural abilities." Orla gives a polite cough. "If the cause is not more...mundane. You haven't suffered a hear injury recently, have you? Anyhow, if there's a chance someone is trapped down here, we should make some effort to rescue them. After our own recent captivity, it'd be rather callous to ignore the plight of those in a similar situation.

Besides, this mural suggests that this may be the tomb of Brysis Khaem, a powerful mage. Who knows what wonders might lie within?"

hiiamtom
2015-09-26, 06:47 PM
still standing very close to Orla, Brama calls out Yeah, you guys be careful! Anything can be in the dark corners down here...

darklink_shadow
2015-09-26, 07:41 PM
Franz nods to Orla at first, fearing that she was right, and it was only proper to try to save trapped people, the last thing she said set him off again, however.

"Whatever wonders we find, keep your hands off of them. They are not yours. They belong to whomever was buried here. We'll go see if anyone needs saved, save them if they do, and then leave." It was clear Franz was uncomfortable here, and many people could probably tell Franz was superstitious.

Provo
2015-09-26, 08:25 PM
Marus Lancaster 24HP, 18AC, 11 Initiative

Orla... It doesn't seem any living body has been here in a very long time.

However, even if we only find spirits below, they still seem to be in great need. A soul suffers when held back from their final rest... As ministers, the duty to help them belongs to Natalie and I.

A look of sadness mixed with fear comes over Marus' face as he continues Unfortunately, I don't believe I can do this without help. There IS somebody in need down there, alive or not. If anybody will come, you will be alleviating a great deal of suffering.

..And if that isn't motivation to help, then I'm sure the dead would gladly pay for your services with whatever lost knowledge may be found below.

Following his appeal for help, Marus prays to his God and follows Vylund down the stairs.

Marus casts bless on Himself, Vylund, and Brama

DMBlackhart
2015-09-26, 08:33 PM
Marus and Vylund take the lead, beginning the descent into the darkness of this long lost tomb. The stairs carry themselves further and further down, seemingly endless.

After perhaps a thousand or more steps, the stairs end in a new dark pale chamber. Within the long room rests a single altar of stone, set against the western wall.

Littering the dusty are shreds of tapestry, whatever they once depicted now lost to the ages. The nearby shrine seems to depict a place of prayer and worship, but shows no symbols of a single god or entity.

Beyond this chamber to the north, past a cracked and collapsing archway exists a similar shaped room, but of smaller size. The shadows cloud what could rest in this further-off chamber.

Additionally, to the east as you come down the stairs, you notice a stone door, cracked and wedged within the frame of the passage. A soft grey light bleeds out from beyond the eastern passage.

mmorality
2015-09-26, 08:44 PM
Orla quickly mumbles a word of magic before following after Marus and Vylund, only now putting away her notes, in which she seems to have scribbled a rough sketch of the mural.

Orla casts Mage Armor on herself. (2/3 1st level slots remaining.)

Provo
2015-09-26, 08:52 PM
Marus Lancaster 24HP, 18AC, 11 Initiative
Blessed

East is the way to go Marus whispers to Vylund as he sees the soft grey light.

However, we should search all areas thoroughly. I do not want any surprises Marus throws his torch into the northern chamber, and takes a defensive position behind his shield.

Marus takes the defend action.

Perception to see in the northern chamber (now lit)
[roll0]

hiiamtom
2015-09-26, 09:42 PM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15 AC.
Passive: 10 initiative, 16 perception, 11 insight.

Brama, tiring of invading Orla's space, says I feel this time I will stay back, it look like other fighters rushed ahead this time. Brama continues to eye the shadows, holding javelins ready for if something besides the party moves. The light from the eastern passage comes as a relief despite the questionable source. When Marus throws the torch north he gains a little more confidence and readies a javelin.
Ready: Attack if something moves to the north [roll0], [roll1]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-26, 10:05 PM
As Marus throws his torch, the warm orange glow illuminates the chamber beyond.

Orla's magical light casts a softer white radiance through the current chamber, allowing a full view of the tomb so far.

To the north there exists a chamber only slightly smaller than the one you stand in now. Within it are four large Sarcophagi, aligned to sit at one in each corner, leaving only enough space for a single person to stand in the middle of them.

The stone caskets are sealed tight with heavy stone slabs, and could be moved with a little difficulty.

hiiamtom
2015-09-26, 10:19 PM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15 AC.
Passive: 10 initiative, 11 perception, 9 insight.

Brama takes a few short intense breaths before a single big breath and runs from Orla to Marus' torch at full speed focusing only on the light source. He only looks around the north chamber when he gets to the torch, holding a javelin and cutlass.

mmorality
2015-09-26, 11:37 PM
12/12 HP, 15AC
Passive: 11 perception, 16 investigation
Default Initiative: 14 (10+2+2)
2/3 1st level spells

Orla looks briefly at the stone slab to the east, then steps cautiously towards the room to the north, peering in from the doorway.

"This won't be Brysis Khaem's resting place. Perhaps they are friends or family buried at the same time? Servants? Slaves? Guards?"

She walks to the shrine, holding her staff aloft to give better light.

"A shrine, but not obviously for any particular god. Perhaps Khaem did not keep a faith; not rare, among mages. Or perhaps many are buried here, of a variety of religions."

UXLZ
2015-09-26, 11:45 PM
HP: 19/19, AC 16
Passive: Perception 13, Investigation 12, Arcana 12, Initiative 10

Vylund responds to Franz in a soft voice.

"What I saw were not funeral pyres... If only I was so lucky."

He shifts his focus to Orla.

"I am completely uninjured. Whatever I heard was not a hallucination, at least, not one caused by myself. Brysis Khaem's servants were likely to have arcane powers, if their souls are trapped here then it stands to reason they could do such a thing."

He shakes his head, there's definitely something here.

Careful with those slabs Brahma, they look like they're meant to keep something in, not something out. We shouldn't remove them."

After warning Brahma, he moves to look in through the crack in the eastern door.

Perception: [roll0] [roll1]
Arcana: [roll4] [roll5]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-27, 12:08 AM
Vylund steps up to the cracked and wedge stone door. Peering inside, he sees something equally mesmerizing and harrowing.

Within the next chamber, the source of the soft grey glow seems to be a specter. A woman, dressed fully in plate armor of foreign craft.

Held in the woman's left hand is the hilt of a sword, gilded and fantastic, but equally as spectral as she is. The sword's blade is the more curious feature. In place of sharp, cold, iron is a long and slender piece of pure radiance. Light made to look like a deadly and masterfully crafted sword.

The woman peers back to Vylund, first gesturing in a sweeping motion away from the door, than lifting the shield in her off hand, and striking the ground with it.

After this scene, the phantasm vanishes.

mmorality
2015-09-27, 12:13 AM
"I am completely uninjured. Whatever I heard was not a hallucination, at least, not one caused by myself. Brysis Khaem's servants were likely to have arcane powers, if their souls are trapped here then it stands to reason they could do such a thing."

"I- I was merely joking, friend. I meant no disrespect, and am confident we will discover the source of this call for help." (You aren't at all sure that Orla was merely joking, but she seems to believe you now, at least.) "It is certainly possible that some of Khaem's servants outlived her -- but she has been a long time dead. Any such servants, if alive, are not in that state naturally. So they would likely possess some arcane talents, and likely not inconsiderable ones. Or perhaps they remain as spirits, as you suggest. Either way, very interesting." Orla adds, almost as an afterthought: "And very dangerous."

UXLZ
2015-09-27, 12:25 AM
Vylund's heart dropped from his chest to his feet. It was here, it was here. He'd been searching for it, but he never truly expected to actually find it. Dawnbringer, in some tomb no one had a right to find, and it was here.

"Does anyone think they can get this door open? I saw a specter of a lady through there, holding a sword of brilliant light. It's... It's what I'm looking for, Dawnbringer. I need to talk to her."

He attempts to get the door open himself. If he can't perhaps Brahma would be able to.

Athletics: [roll0] [roll1]

If he fails to get the door open, he searches for some sort of mechanism, and even tries striking the ground in front of the door with his sword.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-27, 12:48 AM
Franz looked at Vylund. Despite his earlier insistence to leave, the solider believed his fellow. Dropping his hammer to the ground, Franz set to helping his comrade. "A spector? And she... well, if you need to talk to her, and the spector didn't tell you to leave... let's go see her and get out."

mmorality
2015-09-27, 01:56 AM
Orla speaks as she watches the others work. "Do you think this woman you saw, this specter, is the same thing that spoke to you before? Let us proceed carefully. Apparitions using the images of things desired is not unheard of."

UXLZ
2015-09-27, 03:11 AM
The door didn't seem to be moving.

"That is a fair point. We should be careful, but I cannot allow this to slip away without investigating further. Orla, can you take a look at this door?"

hiiamtom
2015-09-27, 10:25 AM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15 AC.

Brama picks up the torch and peers at the slabs. He then searched the outsides and presses an ear to then to try and detect anything off about them. Finally he gives a friendly little knock like he would a neighbor's door. If anything is in these tombs he wants to make sure they won't end up flanking the party. I doubt these slabs would keep anything in or out. This feels like a trap waiting for us to go further.

During the search Vylund starts excitedly yammering about the Dawnbringer again, and about seeing some ghost holding it. He immediately requests help opening the door. This be bad news in the making, lads... Maybe there is another way...
Investigation: [roll0], [roll1], bless [roll2]
Perception: [roll3], [roll4], [roll5]

If Vylund failed, Athletics: [roll6], [roll7], bless [roll8]

DMBlackhart
2015-09-27, 10:52 AM
Despite Vylund's best attempts, the door does not budge. It does not seem to be trapped or some work of trickery. Simply a stone slabbed door, now cracked and crooked under the weight of the collapsed temple.

It does not budge yet, but ample force could see it torn free, and the passage beyond revealed.

Brahma searches the sarcophagi room alone. His eyes quickly darting over the tomb, wanting to quickly return to his companions.

However, before he can rush back, something stops him mid investigation. The sarcophagi do not seemed trapped, which is always good news. In fact one could perhaps hold significant riches, as is evidence by the soft, gold-powder resting along the lip of one of the tombs.

Additionally, the dust seems to trail down, leading to what looks like a space in the floor between the north-western most sarcophagi and the stone below. It does not seem cracked or broken, but rather formed naturally, maybe as some sort of passage hidden below the tomb.

UXLZ
2015-09-27, 11:15 AM
So many complications in the way. Vylund was cautious, he didn't want to get anyone killed, but he was desperate to find the sword. He needed power to change the world, and he didn't want to get it from an evil source.

He was interested personally in the specter he had seen, as well. What was her story?

"I hope getting through this door won't collapse the temple. If it's been cracked like this it might be supporting a lot of weight... Any architects here that would be able to tell if it was structurally sound?"

Getting irritated at the lack of progress, he calls out to the minotaur.

"Brahma, what are you doing in there? We're probably going to need you out here to get through this door!"

hiiamtom
2015-09-27, 11:46 AM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15 AC.

Brama pauses on his journey back to the group after noticing an odd feature to one of the sarcophagi. Reaching down he touches the gap. I think there is a passageway here, hidden by the tomb. Brama buts his weapon away and pulls at the sarcophagus to see if it gives way to a hidden passage.
I try to move the whole thing, but if the whole thing won't budge I'll just open the lid.

Athletics: [roll0], [roll1], bless [roll2]

Provo
2015-09-27, 03:33 PM
Marus Lancaster HP 24, AC 18, Init 11
Blessed, concentrating
Spells lvl1: 1/2

While Marus was already uncomfortable to walk in this tomb, his concern grew as he listened to Vylund. I know you seek some artifact Vylund, but that is NOT why we are here. The only excuse for being in this tomb, is to heed the call for help... After we give that help, you can seek your own ends. Otherwise we may further disturb the dead

Now lets see what might be keeping this spirit from her rest. Marus said as he tested his strength against the door.

Strength check to open the east doorway: [roll0] +2 more if athletics
so 16 total

DMBlackhart
2015-09-27, 04:03 PM
Brahma's investigation does not go unrewarded.

At first it seems as if the construct will not budge, but with enough effort the minotaur's massive build manages to push free the sarcophagi and the floor underneath.

Soon the tomb has shifted, and now in it's place sits a single, rectangular hole. Within that dark hole in the earth is a set of stone steps, dusty and undisturbed for many ages.

Marus on the other hand has made little progress pushing free the wedge stone door. It would take considerable force, and a strong blunt object to bash free the stone blocking your path to the soft emanation.

hiiamtom
2015-09-27, 06:21 PM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15 AC.

Ha-HA! Brama knew there was something hidden here! If you two already couldn't open that way, than I be no use. Our hope lay down the hidden path... Or do one of you have a big hammer? I can use my crowbar as a chisel to break a larger opening into that passage. Brama fishes for his crowbar before lifting it out. He then shines the torch into the exposed opening trying to see anything he can from the top of the stairs.

mmorality
2015-09-27, 06:38 PM
"I advise that we move together. Perhaps we should leave this stone in place while we explore Brama's hidden passage..."

Provo
2015-09-27, 07:44 PM
Marus

Well Brama, I do happen to have a hammer. But I agree with Orla, we need to stick together.

I'm concerned about a possible cave in If we break through here. Perhaps we should follow Brama's passage instead. However, if we can't lay the spirit to rest by following that path, then we will eventually need to find a way past this door

hiiamtom
2015-09-27, 07:46 PM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15 AC.

I think no man would argue with that wisdom, Orla. Brama turns and faces the group, Besides... Those fiends earlier have done something to me, I can't seem to catch my breath. I'm ill suited for taking point somewhere relying on my eyes.

Provo
2015-09-27, 09:02 PM
Marus lets out a deep sigh as Brama explains his debilitated condition. This excursion has been taking quite a toll on us... Well Brama would you follow close behind me? I'm sure Vylund would be willing to take your position up front with me

Marus picks his torch back up and heads through the hidden passage (waiting for the group to get in marching order first).

mmorality
2015-09-27, 09:50 PM
Orla re-Lights her staff and prepares to follow.

DMBlackhart
2015-09-27, 10:27 PM
The party descends the hidden steps, moving into the darkness, the torches and magical illuminations burning away the shadows and shades against the cold, stone walls.

The chamber below is approximately no bigger than the chamber above. Within it's own secluded section of the crypt was a single Sarcophagi, standing atop a stone brier on the furthest end of the room.

With the extra room, our heroes are able to stand shoulder to shoulder with only minimal difficulty. The Sarcophagi is shaped to look much the same as the majestic and powerful Brysis Khaem as she was depicted in the mural you saw before.

Embedded within the human-shaped tomb was many shimmering and shiny gem stones. Some large, some small, each of considerable wealth and value to those who were keen on extracting them from the smoothly polished stone.

As well, stone murals, pigments, and friezes cover the chambers walls. Showing more elegant history of the Netherim empire.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-27, 11:30 PM
Franz licks his lips and looms around anxiously. "Nothing down here. Do you see the spector, Vylund? Of not, this is a dead end. Maybe we'd best go back up and fool with the door a bit more. Tell me, did the spector do anything? Give you a sign? Maybe touch a brick that was secretly a switch?"

UXLZ
2015-09-28, 01:09 AM
"Marus, if the sword is indeed here then I am certain it and the specter are intertwined. She was holding it, I doubt we will encounter one without the other.

Vylund recalls what the specter had done.

"She did do something, but I'm not sure what it meant... She made a sweeping motion away from the door, which could be telling us to leave this place, or search away from the door. Then she smashed the ground with her shield, which could have meant to search beneath us, or maybe smash this sarcophagus, or it could have been a clue as to where where the hidden passage was. There's too many ways to interpret it to be sure..."

He ponders for a few moments longer.

"I am loathe to open a tomb such as this, but I feel we will eventually be left with no choice. Not before examining the murals on the walls, though."

Vylund examines them, comparing the mural depictions of Brysis Khaem to what he saw. Were they the same person, she and the ghost?
Looking carefully, he fairly quickly determines that no, the ghost was not the same person as Brysis. Then just who was she? His interest was only further elevated.

hiiamtom
2015-09-28, 08:50 AM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15 AC.
Passive: 10 initiative, 9 perception*, 9 insight.

Brama looks around the walls, and to the murals and friezes. It reminds him of home in a way nothing he has seen on this continent, and fills him with a sudden sense of longing he hasn't felt for a while. He eyes start to star past the murals, and a noise makes him turn around. Standing by the casket is the vision of his mates, a warband with at least some dignity that lost it all before treasure. "It be a trap," says Norgath as wise as ever; "Who cares? There be more of us than whatever creature lives in here," responds Cinmac who was just wise enough to stand back with a weapon rather than touch it himself; "Get Brama to do it, he will do anything for a free pint," says the dangerously curious Ayasha, "Oi, greenhorn, get in here and check this thing out.".

Brama sees himself enter from the stairway, younger and without the scars of battle. "That thing be creepy, and definitely a trap," he hears himself say. "Sounds like you're still a calf, yer knees are even shakin'! Haha," sneers Cinmac and the others join with a laugh. "That's not true, I have as much right as you lot to be here, and I don't see you opening it!" Brama takes a step forward getting nearly chest to chest with Cinmac. "Yer just lucky yer daddy was besties with the capt'n, calf. You don't have the guts to even touch that thing." Cinmac says lurching forward and shoving Brama back using his horns. Brama grits his teeth and strides up to the sarcophagus...

I will do you one better, Brama says to no one actually in front of him as he jams his crowbar inside the lid of the sarcophagus and pries the lid open before coming fully back to his senses. He thinks to himself, Uh-oh... it's been a while since this has happened...

Athletics (crowbar cancels disadvantage): [roll0], bless: [roll1]

Sorry guys, there's no point in having madness affect me if it doesn't manifest itself using both my bond and flaw from my background...

*updated to reflect not being in Underdark anymore

UXLZ
2015-09-28, 09:03 AM
Distracted by the murals, Vylund doesn't notice until too late.

"NO! What are you-!"... He stops as he realizes his words weren't going to reach Brahma, and he is otherwise too far away to attempt to physically restrain him. Immediately, his hand reaches upwards to the hilt of his sword, and he stands ready to respond whatever effects opening the casket's lid may result in.

He does, however, think to himself that this was inevitable, and it occurs to him that opening the casket may have been what the specter wanted them to do in the first place. He only hoped that was true, and they weren't going to bring down some terrible curse by opening the sarcophagus of an extremely powerful mage.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-28, 09:08 AM
"No!" Franz bellows, taking a step forward and drawing his maul. "You fool! You may have doomed or cursed us all!"

smoke prism
2015-09-28, 10:45 AM

Tinver runs down the steps.
"I heard a commotion, is everyone all rig... ".

Seeing the Minotaur foolishly prying the lid off the sarcophagi, he dives into the closest shadows to observe whats is in the sarcophagi.
"Damm, lets hope this ends well." He mutters darkly under his breath.

Stealth to hide in the shadow: [roll0]
preception to see what come out of the sarcophagi: [roll1] (advantage for fcousing on it intently [roll2]
Arcana to identify whatever comes out of it: [roll3]
History to identify whatever comes out of it: [roll4]

mmorality
2015-09-28, 11:50 AM
Orla grins at Brama, apparently not noticing that his comment makes little sense. "Now we're talking, friend Minotaur. Careful with the lid!"

DMBlackhart
2015-09-28, 12:26 PM
With Brahma's bout of madness subsided, the lid of the Sarcophagi slides free.

With a hollow thud it strikes the floor, fissures racing up and down the once perfect sculpting of Brysis Khaem.

But what lies inside gives each of you pause, and sends a shiver down your spines. The thing inside could be said to be nothing more than a corpse, the usual affair of tombs and crypts. But this one, so seemingly perfectly preserved is unique.

The creature shows only the smallest signs of decomposition. From frayed hair and a pale complexion, lines streak across the woman's face from the skin tightening around her. Otherwise, the late "Brysis Khaem" looks as powerful and nearly as beautiful as she did in life.

But this was not life, it was clearly a mockery of it. A thick green mist billows out of the sarcophagi, flowing free from the woman's slightly unhinged jaw. And than... the body moves.

First an arm, than the legs, it reaches up out of the standing tomb, and shambles towards you all. The creature wields wand and orb in hand, the items she wielded in life to show her power to the weaker populace of Netherim.

Behind the Wraith lay a bed of pure gold cloth, perhaps strewn inlaid with actual gold, and could be worth a fortune in it's own right. Perhaps the only thing worth any real value in this long forsaken tomb as well.

"Intruders. You have come to disturb my rest, and now your lives are forfeit. Offer unto me your essence, so I may live again in this world. Cower before me, your goddess Brysis Khaem Grand Sorceress of the Netherim empire!"

(Annnd cue combat)

mmorality
2015-09-28, 12:45 PM
"Grand Sorceress of the Netherim empire, undead, and not a lich? Hah. Hahaha! Ahahahahah!"

Orla's laughter is not merely mocking -- backed by a twist of the Weave, carefully selected in accordance with premonition, it is infectious.

12/12hp, 15AC
Initiative round 13

Orla casts Tasha's Hideous Laughter on the Wight, using her Portent roll of 4 to (almost certainly) force the Wight to fail its first saving throw (WIS saves vs. DC 14).

On a failed save, the target falls prone (disadv. on attack rolls it makes and attack rolls against it within 5ft have adv, otherwise disadv) and is incapacitated (can't take actions or reactions).

It can make another saving throw at the end of its turn and each time it takes damage (with adv if triggered by damage). When it succeeds, it isn't incapacitated anymore (but is still prone until it stands up).

darklink_shadow
2015-09-28, 12:50 PM
Franz's worst-case scenario played before him, and he felt panic swell in his chest, but he forced it down again. "I told you! What did I say? Don't disturb the dead, and we should leave. Don't open any tombs. And what do you do?! Damn you."

Franz prepared his hammer for war, grimacing an apology. "And now this perfect figure of grace and beauty must be destroyed because of your avarice and stupidity."

Provo
2015-09-28, 01:09 PM
Marus 24HP 18AC
Initiative 13, blessed

Marus Attacks!!

travelling today, no time for fluff.

Advantage: [roll1]
Bless: +[roll2]

Damage: [roll3]
smite: +[roll4] (extra from undead is included)

hiiamtom
2015-09-28, 02:30 PM
Brama. 20/20HP, 15 AC.
Passive: 11 initiative, 14 perception*, 9 insight.
Spells: 0/2 1st.

Brama grips the edge of the open casket letting the crowbar clatter on the floor, and after laying eyes on his prey used his entire body to drive his horns into the corpse as soon as it moves. Not good, I thought I was over seeing them... now this is leading to complete disaster.
Bonus: Hunter's Mark
Action: Attack with horns [roll0], surprise [roll1], bless [roll2]
Move: Drop crowbar, draw cutlass.

I don't think a 12 is going to hit... forgot my damage anyways.
*Specifically made to find his mark