PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Paladin build

LostHanyou
2015-09-16, 12:32 AM
Assuming MAD isn't a big issue because of rolls, how would one build an optimal Ranger/Paladin? Any one have any experience or ideas?

It's possible that smite burst + hunter's mark + horde breaker with a great weapon or polearm could be pretty strong, though you'd have to be at least level 5 to begin doing that. Could transition the Paladin from a single-target burst machine to a more AoE oriented one.

I could use some ideas because in the campaign I'm playing in my Ranger in-game has essentially become a Paladin and I want to multi-class to reflect that without being completely unoptimal.

djreynolds
2015-09-16, 01:05 AM
Please try it out. I've been envisioning whirlwind smiting. I'm told, via the new errata, that the paladin can us any spell slot, even from the ranger multiclass, to smite with. But you will have to smite each attack separately with whirlwind. Its costly spell slot wise and will be MAD and you will have to decide where to cut off, 11 paladin for improved divine smite or 11 ranger for whirlwind, but it gives "last stand" a whole new look.

I'd love to see how it works out for you in game play. I'm seeing like a devil hunter with a nasty polearm or spear or even a harpoon stand over a corpse.

R.Shackleford
2015-09-16, 04:30 PM
Last I heard, errata explination from crawford, is that whirlwind is one attack with multiple attack rolls.

This is why you can't move between attacks.

So depending on how the Paladin Smite is worded, you may only be able to apply 1 smite per whirlwind.

I don't agree with Crawford's ruling, but that's another issue.

Citan
2015-09-17, 08:17 AM
Assuming MAD isn't a big issue because of rolls, how would one build an optimal Ranger/Paladin? Any one have any experience or ideas?

It's possible that smite burst + hunter's mark + horde breaker with a great weapon or polearm could be pretty strong, though you'd have to be at least level 5 to begin doing that. Could transition the Paladin from a single-target burst machine to a more AoE oriented one.

I could use some ideas because in the campaign I'm playing in my Ranger in-game has essentially become a Paladin and I want to multi-class to reflect that without being completely unoptimal.
Hi!

I had posted some builds around this mix, although more for the sake of optimized theorycrafting than "realistic from lvl1" builds (EDIT2: found the post in question (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19547451&postcount=35)). :)

The immediate suggestion I would make (not considering the fluff) is Hunter Ranger with either Devotion or Ancients Paladin.
Ancients for fluff, Devotion for mechanic. Because you get prepared spells that are always nice to have, and your Aura + Bless/Magic Weapon/Elemental Weapon can totally offset the Sharpshooter malus.

This would be a Ranger main build though, to get up to the Volley attack, Paladin bringing essentially aura, a few spells and smite ability if you want to to into melee.

So basically, you're standard play would be cast Aura, cast Hunter's Mark on an enemy (unless you really need to up the chance to hit > Bless, or defend yourself > Shield of Faith) and lay heavy damage every turn with Sharpshooter + Hunter's Mark.

OR go melee with GWM and smite your way out, although you lose quite the feel of Ranger imo. ^^

With Ranger spells for utility/versatility and Paladin spells to buff your survivability (non concentration Aid) and enemy management (non-concentration Command).

Starting dex-based Paladin until lvl 3 then Ranger up to 5 minimum would be a safe choice if you don't mind (although you don't have extra attack, Horde Breaker should be usable fairly often so you won't feel too weak compared to your "pure" lvl 6 allies while you wait your own Extra Attack), then distributing as you wish.

A suggestion among others (many many ways to do viable builds, although not "optimized").
You also may be interested in this discussion about Dex-based Paladins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?394918-Dexterity-Paladin).

EDIT: Note: if you plan on taking Sharpshooter PLUS Crossbow Expert and attain lvl 11 Ranger, don't even consider Whirlwind. Volley is plain better: better area of effect without the usual disadvantage. Keep your spell slots for utility/smite spells/Ranger spells.

If instead you plan on being usually melee, Whirlwind is the obvious choice because you can smite on it. >> Use your spell slots mainly for smite.

R.Shackleford
2015-09-17, 08:23 AM
This thread makes me want to play an ancient Paladin that switches their spell list with the rangers (still gains bonus spells tho).

CNagy
2015-09-17, 08:51 AM
It's really very MAD, but actually not entirely impossible even with a 27 point buy. I have to say that it's hard to speak in anything other than generalities when you are actually looking to multiclass Paladin in play with a current character. Without knowing what level you already are, what you've rolled, and what character choices you've made with your Ranger, "somewhat optimal" remains a moving target.

Citan
2015-09-17, 09:47 AM
It's really very MAD, but actually not entirely impossible even with a 27 point buy. I have to say that it's hard to speak in anything other than generalities when you are actually looking to multiclass Paladin in play with a current character. Without knowing what level you already are, what you've rolled, and what character choices you've made with your Ranger, "somewhat optimal" remains a moving target.

It can be very MAD, or Not. :).
- Go DEX SAD, balanced WIS/CHA: discard Devotion Oath, instead Vengance (offensive) or Ancients (defensive), go melee with finesse weapons to smite or keep ranged and prepare only buff/utility spells.

- Go STR SAD, balanced WIS/CHA: same but heavy-melee build.

- Go DEX/STR + WIS: as above, choose whatever Oath except devotion, spells slots for smiting in melee or Ranger spells or CHA-independant Paladin spells.

- Go DEX/STR + CHA: Wis to 13, learn only WIS-independant Ranger spells, take Devotion and go Sharpshooter Volley or GWM smiting Whirlwind without malus.

You indeed always have four Characteristics to get to 13, to it's a pain (nearly forgot the STR requirement for Pally), but you can limit the actual drawback with careful character development planning.:)