PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Homebrew Races for homebrew setting

McNinja
2015-09-16, 04:28 AM
I've had this setting established for years and I'm finally starting to translate some of my creation to D&D. I have three:

First are the Vanjir, a race of elf-like humanoids that have an incredible aptitude for magic, perhaps greater than high elves.

Second, the Varukyl, militaristic invaders who were accidentally cursed 2000 years ago by their own leader after a slave rebellion threatened their grip on the continent.

Third, the Aesur, four-eyed aberrations from another world, brought to this world as the servants of an Arch-devil but fought for their freedom and were architects of his downfall.

Ability Score Increase. Two ability scores of your choice are increased by 1.
Age. Vanjir are long lived, reaching adulthood around age 25 and living several centuries.
Size. Vanjir are close in appearance and stature to elves. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Arcane Affinity. Vanjir possess an innate talent for magic so great that even those without training can wield it effectively. They begin with the Magic Initiate feat. At 3rd level, you can cast your first level spell once every short or long rest. At 5th level, you may choose a 2nd level spell from any spell list and may cast the spell once every long rest.
Studious
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Common and one language of your choice.

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength and Constitution are increased by 1.
Age. Vaurkyl have a slightly longer lifespan than humans, reaching adulthood around age 18 and living up to 150 years.
Size. Varukyl are close in appearance and stature to lizardfolk, standing over 6 feet and weighing around 250 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Physically Superior. Varukyl are a very physical people, stemming from their transformation and enhanced by their mandatory military service. You begin with the Athlete feat and are proficient with Athletics and Acrobatics.
Weapon Training Time in the military provides each and every Varukyl with extensive training with dozens of different weapons. You are proficient with all martial weapons.
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Common and another language of your choice.

Ability Score Increase. Wisdom and Intelligence are increased by 1.
Age. Aesur are live longer lives than humans or half-elves, reaching adulthood around age 25 and living about 200 years.
Alignment. Aesur hate, more than anything, demons and devils. They tend towards lawful good, though there are always exceptions. Their status as slaves to a an Arch-devil is extremely well recorded, and any practice of dark magic is forbidden within their country. They abhor oppression and slavery, and any slave trading in their lands is not only forbidden, but punishable by death.
Size. Aesur are close in appearance and stature to humans. Your size is Medium.
Darkvision. The extra pair of eyes Aesur have aren’t just for show; they can see quite well in the dark. They can see up to 60 feet in absolute darkness.
Sharp Mind. Aesur have the Keen Mind feat and are proficient in the Investigation and Perception skills.
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Common and two other languages of your choice.

So, what do you think?

Belac93
2015-09-16, 06:12 PM
The problem with all of these races is simple. With the exception of the Aesur, they are all underpowered. They have worse ability score increases than a variant human, no choice in they're feat selection, and do not have a variant humans extra skill. The Aesur are the most balanced, but still, the feat+darkvision are not worth losing a skill+feat of your choice. If you are someone who thinks the variant human is overpowered, I would still suggest improving all the ability score increases.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-17, 01:46 AM
Yep, all of these are below the power level of the PHB races. If they're the only options, that's not such a bad thing, though your players may get a little bored, especially at low levels where they don't have so many class features.

Estimated Points rating:

Vanjir

1 ASI
2.5 Magic Initiate
0 Languages
Total: 3.5

Varukyl

1 ASI
2 Durable
0 Languages
Total: 3

Aesur

1 ASI
0.5 Darkvision
2 Keen Mind
0 Languages
Total: 3.5

Also, how is Aesur pronounced, in your head? To me, it seems dangerously close to 'eyesore', which might cause some minor derailment of a deeply serious game (obviously fine in a light-hearted game).

McNinja
2015-09-17, 04:40 AM
For aesur, it's pronounced like this (https://translate.google.com/#en/en/ayzure).

Thanks for the feedback! I figured they were underpowered, but I wanted to get some opinions first.

McNinja
2015-09-17, 05:32 AM
Ok, updated all three and tried to focus them towards what each race is really good at.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-17, 06:23 AM
Yeah, there are some non-trivial power boosts in there. These are much more playable now.