PDA

View Full Version : Missing Spell

Corolinth
2007-05-14, 03:26 PM
Page 59 of the Book of Exalted Deeds, first column, bottom of page:

Protective Aura (SP): A 6th level defender of Sealtiel can use protective aura, as the spell, once per day. The effect overlaps (does not stack with) his constant magic circle against evil. His effective caster level is his defender level.
At 10th level, a defender can use this ability three times per day.[/i]

Important text underlined.

Near as I can tell, this spell does not exist. The candlekeep spell index I have goes from protection from spells to protege, the Player's Handbook (both 3.0 and 3.5) goes from protection from spells to prying eyes, and the Book of Exalted Deeds itself goes from phoenix fire to quickshift.

I suppose I might find a similarly titled spell in an AEG, White Wolf, or Fantasy Flight product, but it seems to me that an official WOTC release wouldn't reference a spell from a third party source.

Now, holy aura might make sense given the flavor of the class, except that an 8th-level domain spell seems odd sandwiched between two 4th-level cleric spells in the class ability progression. Which raises my question: Has anybody seen this on a FAQ in the back of Dragon magazine, or some other such thing?

Jasdoif
2007-05-14, 03:31 PM
A friend of mine had a question just like this one. He said his response from WotC was that it was supposed to mean the protective aura ability of angels (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm).

Of course, this doesn't help with determining a duration in your case....

martyboy74
2007-05-14, 04:38 PM
This also happened with Thri-Kreen. They have a Psi-Like ability (Psionic Displacement IIRC), that doesn't exist either.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-15, 06:44 AM
This also happened with Thri-Kreen. They have a Psi-Like ability (Psionic Displacement IIRC), that doesn't exist either.
But then Thri-Kreen have been the subject of Errata:

Expanded Psionics Handbook Errata[/i] (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a), p. 1"]Page 15: Thri-Kreen Racial Traits
The bullet point describing the thri-kreenís Psi-Like Abilities contains two errors. The psi-like ability know direction should be changed to know direction and location. The psi-like ability psionic displacement should be changed to greater concealing amorpha.

Unfortunately, there is no errata sheet for Book of Exalted Deeds.