PDA

View Full Version : Large Sized Races

Lord Xaedien
2007-05-14, 03:31 PM
One of my friends wants to do a melee shut down build, but he can't find a Large sized race with either a 0 or +1 LA.... do any of you amazingly taleted people know of some races that fit the bill?

Meat Shield
2007-05-14, 03:39 PM
The Goliath, from Races of Stone. Medium sized, but has the powerful build racial ability that allows you to act as a large creature when you want to essentially. LA +1

Tweekinator
2007-05-14, 03:57 PM
The Half-Giant race from the SRD or the psionics book is Large sized with +1 LA if I remember.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-05-14, 04:02 PM
The Half-Giant race from the SRD or the psionics book is Large sized with +1 LA if I remember.

Same as Goliath. Medium, but acts as though he were large in every respect in which it would be beneficial on his part.

Jack Mann
2007-05-14, 04:04 PM
Except for reach, which may be what the OP is going for.

Amiria
2007-05-14, 04:15 PM
Afaik, all large races (like the half-ogre, RoD) have LA +2 or more.

The best option for LA +1 is to play a Goliath Barbarian with the Mountain Rage racial substitution option. => Large size while raging.

Lord Xaedien
2007-05-14, 04:25 PM
Except for reach, which may be what the OP is going for.

Bingo... doesn't seem like alot i can do about it. thanks for trying guys. I should see if he wants to do Swordsage or something form tome of battle, they have lts of ways around that problem.

Amiria
2007-05-14, 05:00 PM
Swordsage ? Maybe rather Warblade. The 5th level Iron Heart stance Dancing Blade Form is great. +5 feet reach (only on your turn). Charge someone without reach with a guisarme/spiked chain/dwarven warpike. When he tries to close, stop him with Improved Trip or Stand Still.

Lord Xaedien
2007-05-14, 05:33 PM
I have to check my book, but a lower level option I was thinking was the Stone Dragon stance that lets you act a size larger, as well as the Burning brand boost from Desert wind. I will try to get him to go Warblade, but he is a skill monkey...

daggaz
2007-05-14, 06:08 PM
He can always try, depending on level, to get an item of enlarge person.. or cheaper still, just have it cast permanced on him... Dispellable, but wtf..

Person_Man
2007-05-14, 07:16 PM
You can use LA buyoff.

Also, Hexblades get Alter Self and Polymorph, so they can turn into most races without sacrificing BAB. Or you can just have a friend cast one of them on you.

Or you can use racial class levels for something that becomes large, like the Weretiger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a). There are others online and in Savage Species. It's 3.0 though.

But Goliath should work fine. Try my Flaming Homer build.

Flaming Homer, the Bowling Ball of Doom

Goliath

Overwhelming Attack Monk 2/Fighter 6/Psychic Warrior 2/Pyrokineticist 1/Warmind 5/Full BAB class 4

Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Knock-Down, Cleave, Knockback, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, Hold the Line.

Other Feats for Consideration: Mage Slayer, Battle Jump, Robilar's Gambit.

Books: SRD, Complete Warrior, Races of Stone (Knockback), Unapproachable East (Battle Jump), PHBII (Robilar's Gambit), Dungeonscape (Dungeon Crasher ability).

Before combat, use the Expansion power on yourself to increase your reach.

Charge 10 feet into your enemy. Make a touch attack with your fire lash as a two-handed weapon (as it explicitly says you can in the FAQ). Transfer your full BAB to Leap Attack. Make sure that your initial enemy is close to you when you attack him if possible, as you want to keep your enemies in your threatened area each time you knock him back.

If you hit (you probably will) and deal more then 10 or more points of damage (you will) you get a free Trip attempt (from Knock-Down).

If your enemy is standing next to anyone, each attack also applies to them (Warmind Sweeping Strike). You will also get a free Trip attempt against him and a follow up attack (Improved Trip), which will also apply to someone standing next to him, until pretty much everyone in your threatened area has been hit multiple times and is prone.

Regardless of whether or not the Trip attempts succeed, you get a free Bull Rush attempt (Knockback, which requires that you be a Goliath, Half Giant, or Large creature) on each attack, applying your damage and Leap Attack bonus to the opposed Str check.

This should allow you to push your enemy several spaces backwards. For each space you move your enemy backwards, you may also shift him one hex to the left or the right (Shock Trooper). If this pushes your enemy into the same hex as another enemy, you get a free Trip Attempt on each of them (Shock Trooper again - though if one of the enemies is already Prone from a successful Trip, you can't Trip him again).

Again, each successful Trip gets a free follow up attack, and each successful melee attack gets a free Bull Rush, which can start another Trip. And every melee attack can also apply to someone standing next to your enemy using Sweeping Strike.

Plus, if you kill someone (you will) you get a Cleave attack, which will also apply to whoever is standing next to them, and start the Attack+Trip+Attack+Bull Rush+Trip+Attack... combo, again.

And, at any time you can Bull Rush an enemy into a wall or other inanimate object, and use the Dungeon Crasher ability to deal an extra 8d6 + (3 x Str mod) damage. This is really easy to pull off, since with Shock Trooper and your uber Bull Rush modifier, you should be able to fling enemies pretty far.

If you're feeling really saucy, use Psionic Lion's Charge for a full attack.

If someone charges you (they pretty much have to in order reach you) you get a free AoO from Hold the Line, resolved immediately before the charge attack, in addition to the normal AoO you'd get for them moving through your threatened area.

If you don't like Homer, consider a Sword Spider Entomanothrope (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a) Fighter/whatever. 8 attacks, immune to Mind Affecting effects, and all sorts of other fun.

Or a Cleric/Warhulk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030914a). Cast Divine Power for full BAB and a Str bonus, on top of your already insane Str.

But all of these builds can easily be taken down by magic. If your friend prefers defense, he can be a Hexblade/Blackguard with a Ring of Evasion, and he'll basically be 95% immune to magic.

Of course, you shouldn't play any of these unless everyone else in your party is a full caster or an optimized melee build. Otherwise, you're just being a jerk to other players who just want to have fun as a normal build.