PDA

View Full Version : Instant Restoration Clarification

thecrimsondawn
2015-09-16, 08:23 AM
I have a thread up about summoner questions, but due to the nature of this one I decided to make a thread all on its own for it since I am sure others have asked this before, and will ask it down the line.

The summoner spell Instant Restoration has a casting time of an immediate action and a duration of 1rd/lv
Its effect is trigger based - when your summon goes below 0 hp the spell activates and heals them. This would be simple enough except that it says nowhere in the spell that the spell is discharged, or until this or that happens or anything. I am hoping this was included in a ratta somewhere to save me some time, but I wanted to ask other players and DMs opinions on this one.

A: If it stays in effect for 1rd/lv that means it can proc more then one time, meaning unless you take huge damage, you really are not going to die from damage at all.
B: If it should "end" when triggered, then by its wording, it would activate twice. One trigger being that your summon needs to drop below 0 to cast it, and since its effect starts after its cast, the duration would just start after the first heal. This would be a bit more balanced yet still strong.
Last thing I am thinking is that it has a cast time of one standard action, but can be cast as an immediate actions when the trigger is in effect. This makes more sense, but does not explain the duration at all. Since the duration is listed, this spell would remain in effect for the duration and trigger A or B above.

Anyone have any thoughts of sources for this issue?

Psyren
2015-09-16, 08:33 AM
Player Companions almost never get errata so you're out of luck there.

I think the duration implies that they should be temp HP rather than true healing but I agree it doesn't make much sense as written.