PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive+Tormtor School+Power Attack: Does this work?

Necroticplague
2015-09-16, 08:51 AM
Was going through Style feats to see what possibilities Aptitude could go with, when I found an interesting feat called Tormtor School. Does a few interesting things, but the one that most caught my eye is this:
You take no penalty when making a melee attack with a javelin. Now, the number subtracted from you attack roll when you Power Attack is a penalty (is reffered to as such in the feat, and meets the definition.). So this feat means you can PA with a javelin for free. An aptitude weapon would work with this feat, because it specifies a specific type of weapon. Thus, one could make PA'ing free for the cost of two feats. Anything wrong with this combo that I'm missing?

Uncle Pine
2015-09-16, 09:36 AM
I'm pretty sure the author meant "You take no penalty for making a melee attack with a javelin".

Since it is not designed for melee, you are treated as nonproficient with it and take a -4 penalty on attack rolls if you use a javelin as a melee weapon.
That said, even if I'm not sure whether or not I'd allow to use Tormtor School that way, you have a point. It's a very specific shaky reading though, so don't expect it to fly with most DMs. Plus, the feat tax to make it work is three, not two (Point Blank Shot + Weapon Focus + Tormtor School).

And even if you end up not being able to power attacking for free, you can still attack an enemy with your +1 Aptitude greatsword and then throw it at any other enemy within 30 ft. as a swift action, which is cool in its own way. :smalltongue: