PDA

View Full Version : Magic Shadow Monk

Shojiteru
2015-09-16, 11:25 AM
I was looking through the magic items list for my monk. Only thing I could find was the bracers of defense, cloak of protection, and weapon of warning. I figured they would go well but then I realized there was no offense. Looking at level 20 and hitting averages of 23, my own calculations. I figured I could just make robes that give +3 ac and warning feature like wow but only on self. Also, the top would give +3 to unarmed strikes and do extra 1d4 force. Are they too much? This is my first time and I don't like how weak monks are in front combat. 4 attacks are overestimated. Run in, Srrike twice, Shadow step. Then Shadow step in, 2 hits, 70' run away. Wrong tactic for Shadow? With 23 ac and like 120 could get hit once or twice max.

R.Shackleford
2015-09-16, 11:28 AM
I was looking through the magic items list for my monk. Only thing I could find was the bracers of defense, cloak of protection, and weapon of warning. I figured they would go well but then I realized there was no offense. Looking at level 20 and hitting averages of 23, my own calculations. I figured I could just make robes that give +3 ac and warning feature like wow but only on self. Also, the top would give +3 to unarmed strikes and do extra 1d4 force. Are they too much? This is my first time and I don't like how weak monks are in front combat. 4 attacks are overestimated. Run in, Srrike twice, Shadow step. Then Shadow step in, 2 hits, 70' run away. Wrong tactic for Shadow? With 23 ac and like 120 could get hit once or twice max.

What's the break down of your character? Also don't forget about flurry of blows, there hits for a ki.

Also stunning fist, use stunning fist.

Shojiteru
2015-09-16, 12:15 PM
Stunning fist is very ki consuming. Also, I can't do flurry if I want to Shadow step out of range every turn, giving advantage on first hit every other turn. More survivability but less party friendly since they're getting hit.

My character is just going Shadow monk. Half elf with 8 str, 16 dex, 12 con, 10 int, 16 wis, and 10 cha. Only in a 2-3 people party and that's a fighter and Archer bard. Fighter got close combat while Bard snipes. When I go close combat, I get ko'd due to low hp. I'm focused on after 6 when I don't need to be in their faces like I have to be now. Mobile feat then other 4 for asi. Magic weapons coming in at uncommon around then and I see none that would benefit my character truly. Defense problems just early and damage is higher but later only doing 2 strikes and Shadow stepping and moving is where my damage lowers. The +3 robes will still leave me in back while they have +3 so I thought extra 1d6, 8, or even 10 would help me be more than a nat buzzing around enemies

Z3ro
2015-09-16, 12:56 PM
Well, if you're looking for later on in your character, there're actually a bunch of non-monk specific items a monk uses really well. A flame tongue is the go-to weapon for upping damage; if you're worried about resistances, the frost brand is similar but with less damage and more defense. For defense, don't overlook the cloak of displacement; in most cases, disadvantage is worth a +5 defense.

Shojiteru
2015-09-16, 01:03 PM
Well, if you're looking for later on in your character, there're actually a bunch of non-monk specific items a monk uses really well. A flame tongue is the go-to weapon for upping damage; if you're worried about resistances, the frost brand is similar but with less damage and more defense. For defense, don't overlook the cloak of displacement; in most cases, disadvantage is worth a +5 defense.

I figured with Shadow step each round to occupy bonus action, I could completely forget defense to help up the extremely weak offense. Oh and I just looked at flame tongue. Good, but wouldn't the light eliminate stealthiness completely?

Z3ro
2015-09-16, 01:33 PM
I figured with Shadow step each round to occupy bonus action, I could completely forget defense to help up the extremely weak offense.

You could, but in situations without the requisite lighting, you're stuck without your shadow jump, and you'll have to rely again on defense. Also, many enemies, spell-casters especially, have ranged attacks, meaning simply moving away isn't enough.

Oh and I just looked at flame tongue. Good, but wouldn't the light eliminate stealthiness completely?

That it would. Two points however: 1. Not every fight is in dim light or darkness. In those it's a much better weapon to have, and 2. You can shut off the light until you need it. If teleporting around is a good strategy, you can leave it off. Otherwise, turn it on as needed.

And as I said, a frost brand also works well, including shoring up defenses a bit.

ruy343
2015-09-17, 12:54 PM
Having played a monk...

When you're forced to stick around in combat, always dodge with a ki point: it really helps with survivability/opportunity attacks
If you want to do a hit & Run character with a shadow monk, what stops you from casting darkness, maintaining the concentration, then running back and forth (ki point to "disengage" to prevent opportunity attacks) to give yourself a darkness to attack from? That'll save you ki points in the long run.
Always doing hit & run might be annoying with a team. Your stunning strikes to give friends advantage to hit, as well as being adjacent to a target to allow rogues to sneak attack, will be of great benefit to your team.
Bear in mind that you can make two attacks on your turn, but they don't have to be "punches". If you shove someone prone as an action (see the shove attack action in the PHB), you also grant friendly fighters advantage on attack rolls when they're next to the creature. Run in, Athletics check to trip them up, then run out, after having granted advantage to friends. Also, they get disadvantage on their opportunity attack as you run back out, so you might be able to save a ki.

BladeWing81
2015-09-17, 03:57 PM

This is my answer from another thread that asked something similar

Martial arts Feature allows you to use either strength or Dexterity at any time for your attacks so you can start with a high Dex Monk then change your attacks to use Strength once you get the gauntlets or one of the belts, allowing you to concentrate on Wisdom first to get better AC and Saving throws for your Ki abilities then you can add Dex to for the AC. these items also come in all difficulty levels so you can get almost any of them in any adventure with a little luck

Item
Strength
Rarity

Gauntlets of ogre strength
Uncommon

Belt of Hill Giant strentgh
Rare

Belt of Stone Giant strentgh
Very Rare

Belt of Frost Giant strentgh
Very Rare

Belt of Fire Giant strentgh