PDA

View Full Version : Playing Dependent Characters Well?

Enran
2015-09-16, 11:34 AM
Basically what it says on the tin. How do you go about playing a character who is emotionally or physically dependent on another character or characters in a way that isn't likely to interfere with their enjoyment of the game? This can refer to both long-term and short-term events, so if you have different answers for how to treat a long-term character (for example, one of the PC party in a D&D game) compared to a short-term character (playing, say, another character's daughter for a session in a game that has troupe-style play) then go ahead and give both answers (or just whichever you feel like giving, if giving both is too hard/time-consuming).

Seto
2015-09-16, 11:52 AM
Hm, one thing puzzles me about your question. Why would that be likely to interfere with their enjoyment of the game ? On the contrary, it looks to me like a great roleplaying opportunity. Provided of course players agree beforehand. What I could see detracting from the other player's enjoyment, is if : they're not interested in that aspect of roleplaying, they don't want the responsibility, etc. In which case I'd just drop it. In any other case, I'd go nuts. I'd arrange with the other PC's player and think up things with them.

In game ? My PC would pay attention to the character they're dependent upon, like : back up their ideas, ask their opinion, be concerned when they're hurt etc. Maybe act anxious when the other PCs goes away. In case the party splits up (bad idea, I know), make sure they go with the other PC. It plays a bit different if you're attached (emotionally dependent) or simply physically dependent (the other PC may craft and provide a medicine your character needs), but mostly the results and reactions are the same. You'll be tender/concerned in the first case, afraid in the second case (careful to protect your ally and not to alienate them, but maybe at the same time frustrated that you need to rely so much on someone else).
Or you know what ? You could also do the opposite. Act tough, pretend not to need/care about the other PC. And then freak out unexpectedly when they're in grave danger/badly injured. This kind of friendly, falsely antagonistic rivalry often works well in adventuring groups, since they're comprised of strong people that like to be (or pretend to be) self-reliant.

Think, how do you act towards people you're emotionally or physically dependent upon ? Identify what could be problematic in a game (being overprotective could hinder the other PC, for example) and scrap that off. Identify what adds depth and could be easily transferred in a fantasy context (and is consistent with your character's personality), and play it.

Slipperychicken
2015-09-16, 12:34 PM
In Shadowrun, having dependents is recognized as a serious disadvantage. It takes longer for a character with dependents to learn skills, it costs time and money to support the dependent, the dependent may borrow (or even steal) the characters' stuff at the wrong times, require support when the character is supposed to be on a mission (making the character juggle his professional and personal lives), and may call him in the middle of jobs. And there's also the obvious problem of the character's enemies threatening or targeting his dependents.

So yeah, I wouldn't be afraid of them impeding the PCs with emotional, financial, and other needs. Caring for dependents is their responsibility, after all. It's not a good idea to act like a murderhobo "adventurer" when you have kids at home.

PersonMan
2015-09-16, 12:54 PM
I think the OP means dependent PCs, now dependent NPCs who a PC needs to care for.

Enran
2015-09-16, 01:13 PM
I think the OP means dependent PCs, now dependent NPCs who a PC needs to care for.
This, yeah.

Hm, one thing puzzles me about your question. Why would that be likely to interfere with their enjoyment of the game ? On the contrary, it looks to me like a great roleplaying opportunity. Provided of course players agree beforehand. What I could see detracting from the other player's enjoyment, is if : they're not interested in that aspect of roleplaying, they don't want the responsibility, etc. In which case I'd just drop it. In any other case, I'd go nuts. I'd arrange with the other PC's player and think up things with them.

In game ? My PC would pay attention to the character they're dependent upon, like : back up their ideas, ask their opinion, be concerned when they're hurt etc. Maybe act anxious when the other PCs goes away. In case the party splits up (bad idea, I know), make sure they go with the other PC. It plays a bit different if you're attached (emotionally dependent) or simply physically dependent (the other PC may craft and provide a medicine your character needs), but mostly the results and reactions are the same. You'll be tender/concerned in the first case, afraid in the second case (careful to protect your ally and not to alienate them, but maybe at the same time frustrated that you need to rely so much on someone else).
Or you know what ? You could also do the opposite. Act tough, pretend not to need/care about the other PC. And then freak out unexpectedly when they're in grave danger/badly injured. This kind of friendly, falsely antagonistic rivalry often works well in adventuring groups, since they're comprised of strong people that like to be (or pretend to be) self-reliant.

Think, how do you act towards people you're emotionally or physically dependent upon ? Identify what could be problematic in a game (being overprotective could hinder the other PC, for example) and scrap that off. Identify what adds depth and could be easily transferred in a fantasy context (and is consistent with your character's personality), and play it.
A very interesting answer. So people aside from myself (as the player of the dependent) might see it as an opportunity rather than an obstacle? So I'll probably be able to play this sort of character without going through major hoops to avoid hurting the other players' fun? That's a relief.

Seto
2015-09-16, 01:26 PM
A very interesting answer. So people aside from myself (as the player of the dependent) might see it as an opportunity rather than an obstacle? So I'll probably be able to play this sort of character without going through major hoops to avoid hurting the other players' fun? That's a relief.

I know I would. In fact, I crave pretty much any dynamic interaction between PCs beyond "quick, heal me" and "so, let's vote on what door we open". For someone who wants to add a layer to their PC's personality, this is nice : although the burden (or joy) of roleplaying is primarily on you as the dependent PC's player, the other PC's player might choose to reciprocate by having their PC care for yours, feel responsible, or on the contrary complain about the responsibility. As I said, talk it out with the player, however, and if they're hesitant don't force it on them.
If you're worried about hogging the spotlight or overwhelming the other player, put a safety "do tell me if I'm spoiling your fun" rule. But you should be okay.

Thrudd
2015-09-16, 01:33 PM
This, yeah.

That's completely up to you, isn't it? How "dependent" is dependent? If it's a PC, then this "dependent" has at least a minimum amount of autonomy and skill. Roleplaying a family relationship with another player is just roleplaying, like any other inter character relationship.

On the other hand, if you choose to roleplay that your character impedes the other regularly and at key moments, that might be frustrating for the player if they were not aware you'd be doing that. If you are roleplaying a toddler or something: A. That's really weird and why would you want to do that, and B. That seems like it would be very boring for you, with a character that basically can't do anything or contribute in any way.

So assuming your dependent is some sort of child of an age old enough to be plucky/resourceful/willful and have some skills: you're just playing a mechanically weak character that has a relationship with another character, which can work out as well as you want it to.

Fri
2015-09-16, 02:13 PM
Make sure the other party is up to your idea?

I played characters that are obsessed with other characters in game for one reason or another. Rivalry, unhinged stalkery love, etc. As long as both party know about it (not about what going to happen next, just that "my character is obsessed with yours" and you plan first before you do anything drastic toward each others, there's nothing game interfering at all.

PersonMan
2015-09-16, 02:29 PM
I once played a character who was (emotionally) dependent on another PC, and idolized them utterly. It was a fun dynamic - the lack of initiative in party decisions, out of combat situations, etc. wasn't an issue for me, as she was built as a skill-less combat monster who wasn't supposed to be able to do much more than kill people.

Big points I think are worth mentioning:

-Game type / group type. The game was very heavy on intraparty roleplaying and their reactions to the state of the world around them. In a game focused more on interactions with NPCs it won't work as well.
-IC vs OOC participation. If you really want to be a part of things IC / if the GM frowns upon OOC-talking to find solutions or make plans, it gets tough to participate in a meaningful way. If you're cool with following the lead and/or mostly contributing OOC, it's fine.
-Focus of other players. If you find someone who is good with being your character's main RP-buddy, you're golden. Otherwise you may need to make changes to fit, and reduce dependency.

Of course, this depends a lot on the type of character and type of dependency. My experiences are also in a play-by-post setting, which may be different, as well.

Mastikator
2015-09-16, 04:16 PM
Ask one of the players if they are up for this, or ask the DM to provide an NPC to basically make decisions for your character. I don't know how a dependent relationship gets started so I think it's best to just start out in that situation.

Having someone dependent on you without your consent would be incredibly annoying, at least for me.

WHO classifies dependent personality disorder as a personality disorder, to me that's a red flag that you should at the very least tread carefully.

goto124
2015-09-16, 09:47 PM
The players probably need to be rather close to each other. Whether best friends or a couple or such.

Tolerance is a big thing here.

@ Remedy: Why, thank you :smallredface:

Remedy
2015-09-16, 10:09 PM
The players probably need to be rather close to each other. Whether best friends or a couple or such.

Tolerance is a big thing here.
You know, goto, I always like it when you post. You say in three sentences what many would find a way to stretch into eight paragraphs.

And I agree completely here. A dependent character, especially of the emotional variety, is not something you bring to a convention. You play that sort of character exclusively with your friends. They know you won't be creepy about it while a stranger would assume such, and you aren't likely to annoy them since they probably want to try something new with you as much as you want to with them.

LadyFoxfire
2015-09-17, 07:27 PM
In one of the campaigns I'm playing in right now, my sister's character was basically exiled from her homeland, and is very emotionally attached to my character, the first friend she made after being exiled, whom she considers to be the only family she has. We roleplay this as a lot of sisterly banter and teasing (comes naturally to us, of course), a dislike of being seperated from each other for extended periods, and always looking out for each other. It's a fun dynamic, but we have to be careful to let the other characters get some screen time, or else risk turning the campaign into the Lily & Kaida show.