PDA

View Full Version : Let's Read Star Wars: X-Wing! (Book 1-4)

Yora
2015-09-16, 12:30 PM
Remember our Let's Read Thrawn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385881-Let-s-ALL-Read-The-Thrawn-Trilogy) earlier this year? I feel like digging out some more Star Wars books and remember the X-Wing series being my second favorite series. Reading Thrawn was fun, so I am wondering who else might be interested in doing another read?

Last time I think we did quite well with doing two chapters each day, though given the average chapter length I think most people would have been quite happy if we'd done three. I think it worked quite well and would do it that way again, but first checking the chapter lengths before doing the schedule.

The books would be Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gambit, The Krytos Trap, and The Bacta War. There are six more books in the series, but the first four are a very self-contained story and the other books start a completely new storyline with mostly new characters and I think nobody would really feel too excited about commiting to doing a 10 book Let's Read in one go.

The X-Wing series stands out from most Expanded Universe stories in that the characters from the movies have almost no presence in them at all. This is not the story of the Skywalkers. Instead it follows the pilots of Rogue Squadron, the most elite squadron of X-Wing pilots in the entire Rebell Alliance, led by Wedge Antilles, the pilot who destroyed the first Death Star with Luke Skywalker and the second Death Star with Lando Calrissian. I believe that the Rogue Squadron originated in the Marvel comic series that ran in the early 80s (long before the EU really kicked off), but I never read them and I don't believe there is much actual continuity between the two. After Lukes departure from the military after the Battle of Endor Wedge is the best pilot in the whole fleet and regularly gets assigned missions that are of greatest importance and anything but ordinary and for that he needs a team that is the same. A bunch of promising Mavericks unsuited for service in normal squadrons, who all bring a set of unexpectedely useful skills to the team. (Including a former police officer, a princess, and a lawyer.)
Set only a few years after the death of the Emperor and Vader, the Rebellion is still the Rebellion and the Empire still mostly in control of the majority of the galaxy. As more and more planets join the Alliance and the Empire is slowly but steadily pushed back to the core worlds, it is time for another really big move that will completely change the whole war. And as their first major mission, Rogue Squadron gets the most important job since the Battle of Endor... (dun, dun, dun...)

For me, the first X-Wing series (unrelated to the videogames) has always been the most important and defining work of the Star Wars universe, next to the classic movies and the Thrawn series. It's probably been a good 15 years since I last read them, but from what I remember their impact on the EU was not as immense as for the Thrawn series, but it still covers a really significant part of the history that really shapes the world for all the post-Endor stories. It's leaning a bit into military sci-fi and doesn't really deal much with the Force and all that, but it still really feels very much like the essence of Star Wars. And I also really love the plot. I think it's probably one of the most complex and clever ones I've ever seen in Star Wars, with a great deal of spying, conspiracy, and some really big plot twists.

Since major parts of the plot revolve around finding a hidden traitor and really nasty deceptions, I want to remind everyone already in this post to be mindful of spoilers. :smallamused:

Rogar Demonblud
2015-09-17, 12:00 AM
The X-Wing comics are from the late 90s, and aren't terribly related to anything (which is a bit of a curse on SW books in general), but events there in are referenced in the X-Wing novels. Dark Horse may have them up on Drive Thru Comics, if you're interested.

Velaryon
2015-09-17, 01:02 AM
I'm interested in this. [/Alucard voice]

The X-Wing books were my favorite Star Wars novels. I'm happy to come along for the ride on a let's read of these.

Yora
2015-09-17, 04:17 AM
The X-Wing comics are from the late 90s, and aren't terribly related to anything (which is a bit of a curse on SW books in general), but events there in are referenced in the X-Wing novels. Dark Horse may have them up on Drive Thru Comics, if you're interested.

No, those are a different comic series. :smallbiggrin:
There's the Marvel Comics, the "X-Wing Rogue Squadron" comics (totally forgot about those), the "X-Wing" videogames, the "X-Wing" tabletop game, the "Rogue Squadron" videogames, and of course the novel "X-Wing: Rogue Squadron". I probably missed some more.

(Same mess with the comic series "Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic", the comic series "Knights of the Old Republic", the comic series "Knights of the Old Republic: War", the videogames "Knights of the Old Republic", and the videogame "The Old Republic". Or the two cartoon shows "Clone Wars" and "The Clone Wars". Star Wars titles are terrible.)

Kantaki
2015-09-17, 11:29 AM
No, those are a different comic series. :smallbiggrin:
There's the Marvel Comics, the "X-Wing Rogue Squadron" comics (totally forgot about those), the "X-Wing" videogames, the "X-Wing" tabletop game, the "Rogue Squadron" videogames, and of course the novel "X-Wing: Rogue Squadron". I probably missed some more.

(Same mess with the comic series "Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic", the comic series "Knights of the Old Republic", the comic series "Knights of the Old Republic: War", the videogames "Knights of the Old Republic", and the videogame "The Old Republic". Or the two cartoon shows "Clone Wars" and "The Clone Wars". Star Wars titles are terrible.)

Well, at least "Knights of the old Republic" and "Knights of the old Republic: War" have the same protagonist. Poor Zayne:smallamused:. And some of the characters from the first KOTOR game get a cameo. I think there are even some references to the Tales of the Jedi-comics.

It isn't as bad as you make it sound. The... water reaches only the neck not the lips.

Aotrs Commander
2015-09-17, 11:39 AM
For me, the first X-Wing series (unrelated to the videogames) has always been the most important and defining work of the Star Wars universe, next to the classic movies and the Thrawn series.

If by "unrelated" you mean "almost literally the first simulator training mission they do (the one with the Frigate Warspite, I believe) is lifted directly out of X-Wing because Stackpole played the hell out of the games," then yes.

I found that hilarious, by the by, as I sat there, reading away and thinking "hang on, I've FLOWN this mission..."

For that matter, Rogue Squadron featured the first appearance of Delta Dx-9 Stormtrooper Transport outside of the game series...!

(Or I am just completely misreading the meaning of your first sentence, which is also entirely possible...! If so, then I also can volenteer to teach your grandmother to suck eggs while I'm at it...!)

Yora
2015-09-17, 11:53 AM
Any of you fine people interested in joining the group? Unless eight or so people sign up for it, it's not going to happen.

Cristo Meyers
2015-09-17, 11:56 AM
Any of you fine people interested in joining the group? Unless eight or so people sign up for it, it's not going to happen.

I'm in

I actually just read the first four over the summer (well, re-read the first two, read the second two). Made me remember what it was I used to like about Star Wars.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-17, 04:36 PM
I'll participate. I guess that brings the total number up to 4 so far?

Surely there must be at least 4 more Star Wars fans on here! :smallwink:

Gnoman
2015-09-17, 05:00 PM
I'm in. The reading of the Thrawn was fun.

Rogar Demonblud
2015-09-17, 08:42 PM
I wish I could help, but I lost those books some time ago. I probably remember enough to contribute to the discussion, though.

Velaryon
2015-09-18, 09:09 PM
I misunderstood the nature of this Let's Read. My reading pile is too big right now to reread stuff, even ones I enjoyed as much as the X-Wing series. I'll watch from the sidelines, but I can't participate.

Gadora
2015-09-20, 11:22 PM
I just reread these within the past couple years, but sure, I'd be up for this.

TheThan
2015-09-22, 02:43 PM
I'm in

I actually just read the first four over the summer (well, re-read the first two, read the second two). Made me remember what it was I used to like about Star Wars.

i hope that's a good feeling.

I'd be happy to join, but i just picked up a new series my self (coincidentally written by Michael A Stackpole). so I'm afraid i won't be joining you.

Yora
2015-09-22, 04:12 PM
So far we got six people. Assuming that not everyone will have something to add or keep up regularly, that still seems a bit sparse if we were to do it like the Thrawn series.

Maybe we could do it on a weekly basis instead of daily? With the Thrawn series I was very much interested in the very small details chapter by chapter to see how the jump from movies to Extended Universe took place. With X-Wing, I think we probably would mostly be talking about the plot and style, so going through it with a fine comb might not be either as necessary or as interesting.
What do you think about how we should organize it?

Shyftir
2015-09-24, 01:22 PM
Don't have a lot of time for re-reading but I've read them all several times and I'm certainly willing to jump in on the conversation.

Cristo Meyers
2015-09-24, 02:25 PM
So far we got six people. Assuming that not everyone will have something to add or keep up regularly, that still seems a bit sparse if we were to do it like the Thrawn series.

Maybe we could do it on a weekly basis instead of daily? With the Thrawn series I was very much interested in the very small details chapter by chapter to see how the jump from movies to Extended Universe took place. With X-Wing, I think we probably would mostly be talking about the plot and style, so going through it with a fine comb might not be either as necessary or as interesting.
What do you think about how we should organize it?

Weekly is good.

Anything else why not just take it as it comes? I mean, there's only so much there before you start getting into ridiculous levels of minutiae.

Bulldog Psion
2015-10-02, 07:35 AM
Looks like this crashed and burned in the manner of a TIE fighter.

Lentrax
2015-10-02, 07:39 AM
If I can find my copies, then I'm with you too.

The Glyphstone
2015-11-10, 01:33 AM
Meh. Lieutenant Kettch is the best character in the series anyways.

Gnoman
2015-11-10, 03:59 AM
I vote we just do this no matter how many folks sign up.

Gadora
2015-11-10, 04:25 AM
I'm kind of unable to do this at this point. My brother's girlfriend is now borrowing my books.

Daimbert
2015-11-10, 10:49 AM
I re-read this series a few times a year, and just recently completed my latest run, so I'm free to comment even though I don't need to re-read (I'm currently re-reading the New Jedi Order), as long as I can remember that this is happening ...

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-11, 06:08 PM
I vote we just do this no matter how many folks sign up.

Seconded. :smallsmile:

Gnoman
2015-12-11, 06:52 PM
Are we still up for this? Or has it crashed and burned?

I am, certainly.

Gnoman
2015-12-23, 06:52 PM
Not everyone who expressed interest has read the books, and your character profiles contain massive spoilers.

randyortan39
2015-12-24, 02:15 AM
ok i agree with you

Rogar Demonblud
2015-12-24, 01:36 PM
You're missing a bit of important detail in those bios. For instance, Loor's background with Corran Horn. Bounty hunter Bossk (the scaly one from ESB) shoots up half a bar going after a target. Among the people he kills are a pair of CorSec Inspectors, one of whom is named Hal Horn (Corran's dad). Loor deliberately tanks the investigation, letting cop-killer Bossk skip out (probably to meet Vader, the timing's about there). Naturally, CorSec (and Corran) take a dim view of that.

Also, Lusankya is much more than just a prison. It's reputably inescapable and specializes in turning people into Manchurian Candidates. If you played the d6 Star Wars game (or at least read the Adventure Journal), you know Lusankya agents are responsible for many assassinations, including a Rebel Fleet Admiral and a pro-rebellion senator killed when his tweeny son walked into his room in the middle of the night with a blaster and fried his brains (and his mother's). Essentially, Lusankya prisoners are that guy in a zombie movie who hides he got bit until he starts eating you. Paranoia is the natural result from this state of affairs.

Also, it should be noted it moves Lusankya prisoners into the same space occupied by zombies in DarkWick and revenants in Girl Genius: evil troops who are primarily innocent victims.

Daimbert
2015-12-28, 10:17 AM
Well, first, nothing in Chapter 2 says that Erisi isn't any good. When Wedge is asked if the candidates are inferior to the other pilots, Wedge explicitly says they aren't. Bror Jace is one of the two Thyferrians mentioned, and he might be the best pilot in the squadron after Wedge. Erisi is more than good enough a pilot to be in Rogue Squadron, even if she's clearly inferior to Wedge, Tycho, Corran and Bror Jace, and might be inferior to some of the others as well. However, she's clearly a better pilot than Lujayne Forge.

Second, on skimming the chapter, it's clear that Ackbar, Salm and Wedge have access to information that we, the reader, don't, and that presenting it this way was deliberate. None of them give the details of what happened to Tycho, but they likely wouldn't in this case, as they all know all the details and all know that they all know the details. When the details come out, it becomes clear why Tycho potentially being a spy is a concern, and why there's no real evidence that Salm can give to build a case against him. Whether it needed to be done this way or not, I think it works pretty well; because Ackbar, who is in no way biased against Tycho, says that there are reasons to be concerned, we know that there are reasons that we don't know yet, and it DOES pay off in the sense that we find out later what those reasons are. Stackpole COULD have gone for a direct summary of the case to remind Ackbar of the details -- as happens in so many other cases in the Star Wars books -- but this leaves us with a little bit of mystery as well, and the first four X-Wing books are very much a "Corran Horn's perspective" kind of thing, and so we find out the details when HE finds out the details. So I don't see it as being as much of a problem as you do.

In fact, Tycho not acting at all like a spy is rather the point, as once we find out the basis for suspicion we know why they're worried, but again Tycho doesn't act at all like a spy. When we DO find some hints that he might actually be a spy, they turn out to be false. But none of that in any way impacts the reasons why Tycho was thought to be a spy, and there's a big pay off to the whole Lusankya storyline.

Spamotron
2015-12-28, 07:53 PM
That's solely personal preference talking.

Making the reader think a character is a total bastard only to reveal they were actually sane and reasonable based on information the reader wasn't initially privy too at first is a long standing literary tradition. Since Rouge Squadron was always meant to be multiple books from the beginning decided which book to do the reveal in isn't about the nature of a plot point but how its pacing was handled. Since part of the point of mostly first person perspective we're supposed to initially feel the same as Corran feels about people and end up being surprised the same time he is to get us into his head better.

It was a very deliberate choice on how Stackpole chose to portray the story. You can say you disagree with that choice but calling Stackpole stupid for making it is uncalled for.

pendell
2016-02-11, 06:52 PM
I was following this with interest. I'm disappointed it seems to have fallen off.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Daimbert
2016-02-12, 07:54 AM
So was I. I just don't have the time to organize and run it, especially since I'm reading other things at the moment.